BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Senior resigns from Rovers role

Typical Nixon whenever one of his God awful wee gem pal managers provided by agent pals gets sidelined he gets all bitter. When they are in situ he's all over Rovers and making up fantasy stuff so yes it's about time he was called out. He won't be though because those at R Lancs treat him like a god of all things Rovers.

He hasn't a leg to stand on in terms of Coyles points return and Williams said himself the bad start was the catalyst for this season and that's at Coyles door some of the selections and tactics were very suspect.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

The forum makes me laugh at times:

Senior is appointed: "Disaster, he's a stooge, will only bring in players connected to his wife's agency etc. We're doomed."

Senior resigns/is pushed: "Disaster. Proves We've no money, he was the only one at the Club who knew what he was doing etc. We're doomed."

Never met Senior but what did he actually DO whilst he was here? It would appear Coyle had two or three potential transfer targets lined up in advance of the January transfer window. All Senior managed to do was block those, and talk about how, although there was money available for signings it is really difficult to get the right players in January. Then talk about how we'd "added value to the squad" after signing one player on loan who neither manager particularly wanted to play!

Now either the option was there to bring in players in January and he completely cocked it up, or, there was no money available and he was merely brought in to try and appease fans by giving it a modified version of the old John Williams guff about "keeping our powder dry" and trying to deflect criticism away from the owners for not spending money.

Either way he was a waste of a wage in my opinion especially so now We've been relegated and money will be incredibly tight. If Mowbray stays, I'd far rather he be picking his own players than ones foisted upon him by Senior.

If that proves to be the case I think this is an excellent development. If Mowbray follows him out of the door that's obviously a different matter entirely.

Agree with most of that Rev. 

I'm not sorry he's gone. The worry is why has he gone?

He did a job getting rid of Coyle and giving us a fighting chance as in no way do I think the players that clown had lined up would have made much difference at all. It was just another get some mates boys onto the Rovers books exercise I.e Barnes and another from Celtic who was branded a donkey.

He did however drop a major gonad in not recruiting a few more bodies and showed himself to be just another self server by bringing only his guy in when we needed something different not just another striker to sit on the bench. Again if we'd had a proper chairman or chief exec above him they'd likely have told him go down adifferent path but as always under this lot the flawed system is open to abuse and always will be unless they put a Williams or Finn type guy into run it.

Just now, Hasta said:

Agree with most of that Rev. 

I'm not sorry he's gone. The worry is why has he gone?

We'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping it's because Mowbray has said "I haven't decided whether I'll definitely stay yet but if I do I want to be picking my own players not ones foisted upon me by that idiot"

Other options, Senior thinks he has a better job lined up elsewhere or had a relegation clause put in his contract.

Or the last ones, either he can see the writing on the wall, or we're going to the wall imminently. I dont think the owners are going anywhere imminently and are detrmined to keep us open for business to avoid the loss of face back home of a business going bust. Unfortunately they seem to have adopted the policy over the last 18 months of putting in the bare minimum to keep us open.

Just now, tomphil said:

He did a job getting rid of Coyle and giving us a fighting chance as in no way do I think the players that clown had lined up would have made much difference at all. It was just another get some mates boys onto the Rovers books exercise I.e Barnes and another from Celtic who was branded a donkey.

He did however drop a major gonad in not recruiting a few more bodies and showed himself to be just another self server by bringing only his guy in when we needed something different not just another striker to sit on the bench. Again if we'd had a proper chairman or chief exec above him they'd likely have told him go down adifferent path but as always under this lot the flawed system is open to abuse and always will be unless they put a Williams or Finn type guy into run it.

Genuine question: Do we actually know for sure he appointed Mowbray or was that decision taken above his head?. Might be just me but I cant recall any interaction between them or them referring to each other in interview etc at all.

I may be completely wrong on that though.

Just now, tomphil said:

Spot on.

I was thinking this only this morning.

A local British Chairman with a business and preferably a Rovers or football background.

The Raos could still have their Indian conduit but let the Chair make local and quick decisions.

It will not happen and is a major reason why we will be in L2 in a years time.

Genuine question: Do we actually know for sure he appointed Mowbray or was that decision taken above his head?. Might be just me but I cant recall any interaction between them or them referring to each other in interview etc at all.

Yeah that's a fair comment we are presuming he recommended the hiring and firing but there's the Pasha fella to consider in all this. If they just window dressed with Senior to deflect the mounting focus on the ex Kentaro man he may well have had nothing to do with anything apart from recommending Jao. 

End of the day his job was probably just to spout crap for a bit and make excuses.

Sorry for butting in:) Senior is on record as saying he only interviewed one man for the Rovers job and that was Mowbray.

In general Senior was a bit full of himself but he did appoint Mowbray, which makes him a lot better than the adviser who suggested Coyle. I don't think it's a great thing that Senior's gone.

• Backroom

Mowbray has also said that he only spoke to one person at the club - Senior - before he was hired. So, I think it's fair to assume the decision was made by Senior before assumedly being ratified by the rats.

That said, Senior really is no big loss. Just another skid removed from the toilet bowl that is our club.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Sorry for butting in:) Senior is on record as saying he only interviewed one man for the Rovers job and that was Mowbray.

In general Senior was a bit full of himself but he did appoint Mowbray, which makes him a lot better than the adviser who suggested Coyle. I don't think it's a great thing that Senior's gone.

Sorry, didn't realise you were "besties" having met him. Lol.

Only posed the question because Pasha appointed Lambert from nowhere out of the blue and I wondered if this had happened again with Mowbray and Senior hadn't actually had much to do with it.

Of course, if it was his decision and his decision alone to replace Coyle and he persuaded the owners to go along with that, fair play. Then again even Shebby managed to needle Steve Kean out of the building but I wouldnt say he was a massive loss either.

Rev, Mowbray was interviewed and appointed by Senior.  Met Senior a few times and the guy seemed to have an understanding that the club needed to be sorted from top to bottom and that a proper wage structure needed to be put in place.  The fact that he is gone before he can make the changes he felt were needed is a concern.  The key for me is if Mowbray stays or goes. 

Sorry, didn't realise you were "besties" having met him. Lol.

Only posed the question because Pasha appointed Lambert from nowhere out of the blue and I wondered if this had happened again with Mowbray and Senior hadn't actually had much to do with it.

Of course, if it was his decision and his decision alone to replace Coyle and he persuaded the owners to go along with that, fair play. Then again even Shebby managed to needle Steve Kean out of the building but I wouldnt say he was a massive loss either.

I don't think he's a 'massive loss' it's just there's nobody else vaguely cognizant of Association Football at the club.

But mainly I just miss him. He said we'd be friends forever, with the bestest team in the whole wide world and now he's gone. Hard Sexit. I'm broken.:(

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Rev, Mowbray was interviewed and appointed by Senior.  Met Senior a few times and the guy seemed to have an understanding that the club needed to be sorted from top to bottom and that a proper wage structure needed to be put in place.  The fact that he is gone before he can make the changes he felt were needed is a concern.  The key for me is if Mowbray stays or goes. 

Agree with the last sentence Parson. If Mowbray stays I really can't see the problem. Can you imagine the likes of Dalglish, Souness, Hughes, and Allardyce being happy with having players foisted upon them by a non footballing person like Senior?

Agree with the last sentence Parson. If Mowbray stays I really can't see the problem. Can you imagine the likes of Dalglish, Souness, Hughes, and Allardyce being happy with having players foisted upon them by a non footballing person like Senior?

I don't think the idea was for players to be foisted on Mowbray.  It seemed like a collaborative approach with Tommy Johnson, Senior and Mowbray.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I don't think the idea was for players to be foisted on Mowbray.  It seemed like a collaborative approach with Tommy Johnson, Senior and Mowbray.

Why should Senior have any say on player recruitment at all? Presumably there's a budget set, within those limits Mowbray should be free to pick who he wants.

"Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune"

The problem we face is that once again we're left with the chuckle brothers of the accountant and the invisible man running the club. One of whom is never seen and never speaks and the other who makes such ludicrous comments when he does open his mouth I wish he hadn't bothered.

Between them they led the most ridiculous and embarrassing managerial 'search' in history last summer when they opted for Owen Coyle over the likes of Neil Warnock and in the process condemned us to relegation.

I'm not going to lose any more sleep over Paul Senior going and he's just the latest in a long, long line of people who I suspect had honest enough intentions but found that it isn't compatible with the agenda of those running the club at present.

More concerning is that we're left yet again with a one man board with Mike Cheston who really should be nowhere near this club following his outrageous and shameful comments to fans this season. At the very most he should be left to handle finances and nothing more.

If Mowbray walks, which I suspect will happen before next season begins, then presumably Cheston is going to be the one interviewing candidates for the job. What qualifies him or Mr Invisible (don't know his name or job title) to select a new manager?

Whether Senior was any good or not I'd have more faith in him making decisions at the club than a proven failure in Cheston who has tried to wriggle out of culpability for our situation and cover for his bosses at every turn.

Who Is Mowbray/new manager going to be working with this summer to rebuild the squad?

Fair comment about Cheston JH. He seems to be a bean counter pure and simple who only looks at the balance sheet and thinks the solution to everything is to make savings here and there sell assets and cut corners. He seems to have no appreciation of the fact that if things are going badly on the pitch then you have no hope of seeing an improved financial performance.

I'd have sacked him as well.

I am kind of expecting another big announcement soon, maybe today.

I doubt it will involve Cheston, he knows too much. Unless he meets up at speed with an iron bar.

Just chilling out here on the porch with a beer or 6 with evening setting in and thinking of what a complete clusterfeck Rovers are because of the Raos of Venky's infamy.

#RAOSOUT

#VENKYSOUT

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

What is a proper wage structure though?

We have a wage structure now, but it has just been badly managed so you've got high wages wasted on people like Lowe, Henley, Stokes, Evans.

A proper manager would've made a bigger difference.

It really doesn't seem that difficult to suggest how Rovers could start to improve their fortunes.

1) Keep Mowbray or if he wont stay, appoint a solid manager of equivalent calibre.

2) Appoint a Chairman/Chief Exec of the calibre of Tom Finn to deal with matters behind the scenes. You don't want him picking the players for the manager though.

3) Give the manager a wages/transfer budget competitive with anyone else in the division.

4) Hold on to the promising young players like Raya, and Lenihan and ditch the high earning past it players like Conway and Graham. Supplement those left with a good honest bunch of our own players who actually want to be at the Club and who are up for a 46 game slog in League 1 as opposed to loanees who are only here because they're not wanted elsewhere.

All things being equal, you'd have thought the better players in League 1 would crawl over broken glass to play in a Stadium like Ewood, go into work at Brockhall every day.

Will Venky's do any of this? They have never got the balance right before so it has to be highly doubtful.

Of course they won't do it. They've no intention. Remarkable that the solution to our problem is staring them in the face and yet they'll still ignore it.

I reckon that by the end of May we'll be none the wiser as to what's happening. Mowbray will still be waiting for his face to face meeting and Cheston will be the only person on the board of directors.

All things being equal, you'd have thought the better players in League 1 would crawl over broken glass to play in a Stadium like Ewood, go into work at Brockhall every day.

It's more a case of if they're happy to be paid in broken glass...

It really doesn't seem that difficult to suggest how Rovers could start to improve their fortunes.

1) Keep Mowbray or if he wont stay, appoint a solid manager of equivalent calibre.

2) Appoint a Chairman/Chief Exec of the calibre of Tom Finn to deal with matters behind the scenes. You don't want him picking the players for the manager though.

3) Give the manager a wages/transfer budget competitive with anyone else in the division.

4) Hold on to the promising young players like Raya, and Lenihan and ditch the high earning past it players like Conway and Graham. Supplement those left with a good honest bunch of our own players who actually want to be at the Club and who are up for a 46 game slog in League 1 as opposed to loanees who are only here because they're not wanted elsewhere.

Will Venky's do any of this? They have never got the balance right before so it has to be highly doubtful.

That was probably Bolton's blueprint last year. Worked out OK for them.

It'll never happen here.

Archived