BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Senior resigns from Rovers role

Amazing really because Bolton went down in theory in a worse state than we're in now. They had even less money than us, a transfer embargo and a running dispute between their owners.

Yet they kept together their squad from the Championship (managing to find a way to keep paying those wages despite FFP rules) and appointed a good League One manager in Phil Parkinson.

Whilst we're knackered we've so far avoided the Bolton fate of selling off land and going to Court over unpaid tax, our revenues ought to be on a similar level to theirs, so in theory we should be as well placed as they were to rebound.

In theory of course. The reality will play out much differently. Coventry or Charlton style.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I didn't call anyone an idiot. He asked me if I am Paul Seniors agent. I then asked him if he is an idiot. 

"That didn't want Coyle sacking" you don't speaky English good do you. I said Coyle shouldn't have been appointed in the first place and I was amazed he didn't go after the first 7 games. So I'm not sure what you are referring to? 

I don't think anyone thought Senior was the saviour. It does seem like a lot of the sensible posters on here acknowledge that losing a key member of our staff a day after being relegated isn't a good thing. A member of staff who was responsible for bringing in a manager who almost pulled off a miracle by keeping us up. A member of staff who I thought talked sense compared to some of the shysters we have had at the club. 

Your plan to sack everyone is a bit silly do you not think? Should we replace them or will the players carry out these duties also. Maybe Charlie Mulgrew can be centre half and director of football. I know Nyambe is young, but I see a good right wingback/finance director there with the right coaching. I am 100% sure you and your mob will be disappointed with whoever it is that replaces Senior. Roll on the new witch hunt says you. 

Not to chime in, but you DID state how you wouldn't have sacked Coyle at the time and said something about "momentum" after the United game.  Mowbray's points return compared to Coyle's showed you made a boo-boo.  If Coyle had remained we'd have been relegated a few weeks ago.  No shame in admitting you got it wrong.

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It really doesn't seem that difficult to suggest how Rovers could start to improve their fortunes.

1) Keep Mowbray or if he wont stay, appoint a solid manager of equivalent calibre.

2) Appoint a Chairman/Chief Exec of the calibre of Tom Finn to deal with matters behind the scenes. You don't want him picking the players for the manager though.

3) Give the manager a wages/transfer budget competitive with anyone else in the division.

4) Hold on to the promising young players like Raya, and Lenihan and ditch the high earning past it players like Conway and Graham. Supplement those left with a good honest bunch of our own players who actually want to be at the Club and who are up for a 46 game slog in League 1 as opposed to loanees who are only here because they're not wanted elsewhere.

All things being equal, you'd have thought the better players in League 1 would crawl over broken glass to play in a Stadium like Ewood, go into work at Brockhall every day.

Will Venky's do any of this? They have never got the balance right before so it has to be highly doubtful.

That's why the whole situation is so baffling and frustrating. It's a simple plan and it wouldn't cost that much to implement. Yet we all know it won't happen.

My concern is he's the only person we had with an ounce of football pedigree, who else is there with that? Hoping in vain it means Mowbray will be in control of transfers, but more likely he realised there's no money and these @#/? rats won't do anything. Wouldnt be surprising if Mowbray was next

One thing is for sure, how the hell is Cheston going to cope at the next suppoters consultation meeting? I mean Paul bailed him out evidently quite a few times at the last one and Chestons role in this season is going to be well and truly under the spotlight. 

He will have a breakdown.

On 10/05/2017 at 01:43, MikeRovers said:

My concern is he's the only person we had with an ounce of football pedigree, who else is there with that? Hoping in vain it means Mowbray will be in control of transfers, but more likely he realised there's no money and these @#/? rats won't do anything. Wouldnt be surprising if Mowbray was next

The point is we have to move quickly to somehow create a team out of the wreckage. This is  or was a major part of Cheston's work.

So who is doing it now? answer----nobody.

When will a replacement be appointed? answer---too late.

More of the same, every transfer window is a shambles.

Just now, 47er said:

The point is we have to move quickly to somehow create a team out of the wreckage. This is  or was a major part of Cheston's work.

So who is doing it now? answer----nobody.

When will a replacement be appointed? answer---too late.

More of the same, every transfer window is a shambles.

Indeed. I bet I've spent more time this week thinking about next season than the owners have. They just aren't interested in the slightest. At the very most they'll have said OK to the statement Pasha drafted on Monday, more likely they didn't even see that. The only hope is that will change when the realisation sets in that we're another £10 million down with next to nothing to mortgage and no players of value left to sell.

I really do wonder what has happened at the club this week since relegation was confirmed. Will Mowbray have had his meeting or even a call? Will they have agreed a budget for the next year? Will they have progressed with contract negotiations? Will they have set the wheels of pre-season in motion like arranging friendlies and training camps? Finding a replacement for Senior who in January was such an essential addition to the club and yet I suspect by this summer won't need to be replaced.

The answer to all the above is almost certainly not, and is the reason we're more likely to end up in League Two next May than the Championship.

If he's had a call it would be 'don't worry  Trevor we'll back you iv'e spent 500 million you know and all the money stays in Blackburn ! We need to get out of this league ( which way ? ) .  You have a game at weekend ?  Can you come in after that ? I've admired your work since you won the Champions league you are the man " !

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:25, RevidgeBlue said:

It really doesn't seem that difficult to suggest how Rovers could start to improve their fortunes.

1) Keep Mowbray or if he wont stay, appoint a solid manager of equivalent calibre.

2) Appoint a Chairman/Chief Exec of the calibre of Tom Finn to deal with matters behind the scenes. You don't want him picking the players for the manager though.

3) Give the manager a wages/transfer budget competitive with anyone else in the division.

4) Hold on to the promising young players like Raya, and Lenihan and ditch the high earning past it players like Conway and Graham. Supplement those left with a good honest bunch of our own players who actually want to be at the Club and who are up for a 46 game slog in League 1 as opposed to loanees who are only here because they're not wanted elsewhere.

All things being equal, you'd have thought the better players in League 1 would crawl over broken glass to play in a Stadium like Ewood, go into work at Brockhall every day.

Will Venky's do any of this? They have never got the balance right before so it has to be highly doubtful.

35s7cv.jpg

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Indeed. I bet I've spent more time this week thinking about next season than the owners have. They just aren't interested in the slightest. At the very most they'll have said OK to the statement Pasha drafted on Monday, more likely they didn't even see that. The only hope is that will change when the realisation sets in that we're another £10 million down with next to nothing to mortgage and no players of value left to sell.

I really do wonder what has happened at the club this week since relegation was confirmed. Will Mowbray have had his meeting or even a call? Will they have agreed a budget for the next year? Will they have progressed with contract negotiations? Will they have set the wheels of pre-season in motion like arranging friendlies and training camps? Finding a replacement for Senior who in January was such an essential addition to the club and yet I suspect by this summer won't need to be replaced.

The answer to all the above is almost certainly not, and is the reason we're more likely to end up in League Two next May than the Championship.

Senior leaving must surely leave a large hole in the planning for next season. Unless he left a Post It on the office fridge with his targets on. Chances are he'll have kept his wife's portfolio close to his chest in case he pops up somewhere else in a similar role.

If Mowbray leaves then that large hole becomes a cliff edge. At least having a proper manager who knows what it takes would be something. If it was down to some combination of Johnson and Dunn working with half of the U23 graduates then that would be a massive risk.

All part of the ebb and flow of football though, I guess. I wonder if fourth tier football under Venkys watch might change a few minds on that score!

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Senior leaving must surely leave a large hole in the planning for next season. Unless he left a Post It on the office fridge with his targets on. Chances are he'll have kept his wife's portfolio close to his chest in case he pops up somewhere else in a similar role.

If Mowbray leaves then that large hole becomes a cliff edge. At least having a proper manager who knows what it takes would be something. If it was down to some combination of Johnson and Dunn working with half of the U23 graduates then that would be a massive risk.

All part of the ebb and flow of football though, I guess. I wonder if fourth tier football under Venkys watch might change a few minds on that score!

On the other hand Senior going may mean Mowbray gets who he wants, rather than a player off Seniors list.

Obviously a manager needs a scouting network, but the wording at the fans forum was that Mowbray says the position and type of player he wants, and Senior comes back with a list. To me Mowbray is experienced enough to know who and what is available in this country, so we don't need seniors input.

If Mowbray goes, then I'd agree it's almost a mission impossible for the next manager, no time to assess the squad, no players left, and no one to push Venkys into making a decision. 

Just now, Baz said:

On the other hand Senior going may mean Mowbray gets who he wants, rather than a player off Seniors list.

Obviously a manager needs a scouting network, but the wording at the fans forum was that Mowbray says the position and type of player he wants, and Senior comes back with a list. To me Mowbray is experienced enough to know who and what is available in this country, so we don't need seniors input.

If Mowbray goes, then I'd agree it's almost a mission impossible for the next manager, no time to assess the squad, no players left, and no one to push Venkys into making a decision. 

And then on another hand who will be available to get those deals done? I think a vital part of Seniors role was to get the players into the club. Mowbray can't do everything. Without a functioning board in place who does the negotiations. It's a farce.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

And then on another hand who will be available to get those deals done? I think a vital part of Seniors role was to get the players into the club. Mowbray can't do everything. Without a functioning board in place who does the negotiations. It's a farce.

If Seniors role was just to get Mowbray targets through the door, then fine (that's how it happens at most clubs), but that's not how Senior & Mowbray described their positions on transfers.

Wouldn't disagree on it being a farce.

Just now, Baz said:

If Seniors role was just to get Mowbray targets through the door, then fine (that's how it happens at most clubs), but that's not how Senior & Mowbray described their positions on transfers.

Wouldn't disagree on it being a farce.

If Senior was just a glorified scout and handed Mowbray lists of players then he won't be missed because we have Tommy Johnson and a scouting network for that. As DofF though you'd think his remit was a bit bigger i.e. Mowbray chooses the players he wants and Senior is tasked with negotiating, dealing with agents, sorting out contracts etc. It's normally the Board that do that. We don't have one.  

10 minutes ago, Baz said:

Not convinced that Mowbray will be able to "get who he wants" (just call it a hunch). A lot depends on whether he fancies the job of building a competitive League One side with no money.

You are talking about a good manager who is on record as saying that you cannot build a competitive squad on frees, loans and youth.

He will not meet with the Raos and if he gets promises via Shaikh then get the funds in escrow. Otherwise it aint gonna happen.

Archived