BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Rovers Rumours and Speculation Round Up

A number of respected twitter sources reported that Mark Venus who was with Tony Mowbray during his time at Coventry City had been at Brockhall everyday over the last week.  Venus stepped down from his position as Coventry’s technical director at the end of March.  If these reports are true then it could be the first indication that Tony Mowbray plans to remain as Rovers boss.  Related to this there has been speculation that David Dunn will move back to working with the Under 23’s.

Earlier this week a number of media reports claimed that Wolverhampton Wanderers were planning to make a £2 million offer for Rovers goalkeeper Jason Steele.  Wolves are managed by former Rovers boss Paul Lambert and he will know Steele well from his time at Rovers. Yesterday however, doubt was cast over Lambert’s future at Wolves as reports claimed that he was considering his position due to the power that football agent Jorge Mendes has over transfer policy at the club.

There have been rumours over the last few days that rovers starlet Connor Mahoney has rejected the club’s final contract offer and is set to sign for a unnamed Championship Club within the next few weeks.  If these rumours are true then Rovers would be due compensation which would either be mutually agreed with the club that Mahoney moves to or will be set by a tribunal.

View full article

• Like 3

That's the saddest thing about being a "little" club, watching players you saw make their debut with your team, watching them grow into stars and then watching them going on to even bigger things with another, bigger team. Looking back at all the great players we have lost, I never really get over it.

• Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

That's the saddest thing about being a "little" club, watching players you saw make their debut with your team, watching them grow into stars and then watching them going on to even bigger things with another, bigger team. Looking back at all the great players we have lost, I never really get over it.

Yes. At least, I expect them to give us some decent service first.

Barker, Dunny and Duff were difficult enough.

Jones was a scandal, as I think Mahoney will turn out to be, as well.

If I am really going to wallow in my pain, here is a list of pre-Walker departures in my time that were like bereavements:

Keith Newton

Kenny Knighton

Eamonn Rogers

Tony Field

Roger Jones

John Bailey

Kevin Hird

Simon Barker

Colin Hendry ( first time)

Heaven knows I'm miserable now!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

Sorry to pour cold water on your sadness BBQ LV, but I can't put Mahoney in the same boat as losing Duff and Jones. 

Besides, we've done it to enough teams down the years! Doesn't make it any easier to take, If I had to bet, I'd put money on Josh Morris making it to a higher level consistently, than Mahoney.

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

Sorry to pour cold water on your sadness BBQ LV, but I can't put Mahoney in the same boat as losing Duff and Jones. 

Besides, we've done it to enough teams down the years! Doesn't make it any easier to take, If I had to bet, I'd put money on Josh Morris making it to a higher level consistently, than Mahoney.

I meant the scandal aspect really....

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I meant the scandal aspect really....

I'd put Mahoney in the Hoilett leaving category. I'm actually more sad about losing Jason Lowe than Connor. In a normal scenario though, we wouldn't be discussing losing potential players for nothing as the average! 

N

Just now, 47er said:

Not sure where I sit with Mahoney.  Kid obviously has some talent but whilst some of his cameos were decent, he didn't really impact many games.  He is certainly no where near as good as Duff was at 18. 

If it was the club I supported I would sign a 1 year deal on less money and a nailed on starting place.  If he gets 40 odd games under his belt, he should develop the stamina to impact games for 90 mins.  If we go back up, he can then negotiate much better terms or leave.  

But hey, no loyalty in football these days.

He is at an age where he needs to prove himself.  Sitting on a bench at a champ club on more money won't do that.

• Like 3

Just now, Biz said:

I'd put Mahoney in the Hoilett leaving category. I'm actually more sad about losing Jason Lowe than Connor. In a normal scenario though, we wouldn't be discussing losing potential players for nothing as the average! 

Sadness BBQ LOL!

I agree re Hoillett. 

The Lowe thing is interesting. The process whereby a certain agent put all our "junior" players on ridiculous wages needs looking at.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

Imagine being a Crewe fan over the years... they could have been a Premier League club.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yes. At least, I expect them to give us some decent service first.

Barker, Dunny and Duff were difficult enough.

Jones was a scandal, as I think Mahoney will turn out to be, as well.

If I am really going to wallow in my pain, here is a list of pre-Walker departures in my time that were like bereavements:

Keith Newton

Kenny Knighton

Eamonn Rogers

Tony Field

Roger Jones

John Bailey

Kevin Hird

Simon Barker

Colin Hendry ( first time)

Heaven knows I'm miserable now!

Vernon,Pickering,England? Too young Len?

I think most of us expected to lose young Connor.  Mixed bag for me, good impact sub not so much starting.  Can't blame him for wanting to leave when he watched Feeney picked ahead if him time and again.

• Like 1

If I didn't :lol: I'd :(

Top accountants would explain that Rovers is not a going concern and to liquidate.

Possible cuts, eh? I used to think he was good but Nixon might actually be a savant.

Despite the "Nixon pinch of salt" factor, any sensible accountant would say; cut and run or invest to return part of total investment.

Who's betting they ignore "expert" advice in favour of ignorance again? 

Just now, Stuart said:

If I didn't :lol: I'd :(

Top accountants would explain that Rovers is not a going concern and to liquidate.

Possible cuts, eh? I used to think he was good but Nixon might actually be a savant.

"Top accountants" other than cardboard cutout Mike Cheston, who they have had running the show for the last year or so! 

Was just going to say don't we have our own accountant ?  What kind of dweeb is he if he can't sort it himself ?

Fair enough they might want a second opinion but that guy evidently couldn't run a bath.  The real story though will be a set of outside accountants looking at where and how working capital can be  well raised as well as cuts. 

Mike will be hiding in his summer caravan until it's all over. 

I'm going to add a little twist that I am optimistic about and could be a possibility. 

They have got these 2 accountants in. They will tell the Venkys that they are going to be making a loss of £8m a year at least due to relegation. 

Any half decent accountant would advise that Venkys sell the club immediately, as it is a loss making company and that's not successful. Almost certainly they will advise to write off that gifted debt £100m and sell the club. As that is the only way that anyone would buy it.

In comes a new owner. 

These are just my assumptions. But it's just some food for thought.

• Like 2

These accountants surely will advises them to get rid of the club. 

Write the debt off and sell the club cheap

Plus its shows how they dont trust Cheston one bit. Why bring in outside accountants when we have finance director in place. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

The accountants will have a specific brief which almost certainly: "how can Rovers be run with no cash injection?"

Sure- it is possible.

As would still being in League 1 in 2018/19.

Likely on either count?

NO

Very unlikely they will go beyond their engagement remit especially as a casual glance at this MB if nothing else will tell them recommending a sale will be a slow route to never getting their final invoice paid.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Vernon,Pickering,England? Too young Len?

Pickering was the first one for me. We spent more than the the fee we got for him trying to replace him over the years with not much success.

George Jones, Martin Britt, Alan Gilliver, Frank Lord, Jim Fryatt, then even Fred himself at the end. Don Martin was the only one who did well for us.

Just now, philipl said:

The accountants will have a specific brief which almost certainly: "how can Rovers be run with no cash injection?"

Sure- it is possible.

As would still being in League 1 in 2018/19.

Likely on either count?

NO

Very unlikely they will go beyond their engagement remit especially as a casual glance at this MB if nothing else will tell them recommending a sale will be a slow route to never getting their final invoice paid.

How is it possible? There is a huge difference between our income and our expenditure, we've sold the vast majority of our saleable assets and you can't just cut costs with the click of your finger, we have contracts to honour. No cash injection means we got bust, it is that simple. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm going to add a little twist that I am optimistic about and could be a possibility. 

They have got these 2 accountants in. They will tell the Venkys that they are going to be making a loss of £8m a year at least due to relegation. 

Any half decent accountant would advise that Venkys sell the club immediately, as it is a loss making company and that's not successful. Almost certainly they will advise to write off that gifted debt £100m and sell the club. As that is the only way that anyone would buy it.

In comes a new owner. 

These are just my assumptions. But it's just some food for thought.

We can only pray to the Gods this comes to pass.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.