BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NHS Ransomware attacks - Multiple hospitals now trying to operate with zero IT facility

Just now, Glenn said:

You also have a mirai botnet hammering the killswitch domain in an attempt to reactive the worm

We're in an age where your toaster and fridge are attempting to enable cyber weapons against MRI scanners to hold hospitals for ransom. Even reading all that William Gibson, Arthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov as a kid didnt prepare me for this! 

Well that's good to know.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bloody Internet of Things (or Internet of cheap crap that has no need to be on the internet) is going to set IT security back a decade.

Actually, that's one area I do agree with Jim's (and The Tories) 'strictly regulate all the things' approach to the internet. Device manufactures should be responsible for the security of their devices and provide a free automatic security updates for the lifetime of the hardware

That said, people will still buy cheap Chinese clone stuff off Amazon, so the problem will never go away

Good write up that. Nice to see El Reg can do serious journalism and not just sarcasm and bad puns.

Also good to see the press is finally acknowledging what I ranted about and blogged about last Sunday, this is nothing to do with XP, it's unpatched Win 7/8 that are the problem. It's not legacy hardware, it's slow patch cycles and poor network segmentation (well, and muppets allowing 445 at the perimeter),

• 1 month later...

Another big ransomwaere attack underway.

Looks like a variation on the wannacry one. 

Do we shut down our servers again and ride it out followed by a day of hassle getting everything back up and running correctly, or hope we are fully protected?

Archived