BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Retained List

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jason Lowe, Adam Henley, Hope Akpan, Danny Guthrie, Gordon Greer, Wes Brown, Joshua Askew and Ramirez Howarth have been released

New contract offers to Connor Mahoney and Lewis Travis, Charley Doyle, Joe Grayson, Tyler Magloire and Stefan Mols.

Scholars released Ben Ascroft, Alex Curran, Mason Fawns, Callum Hendry, Matthew Makinson, Tre Pemberton, Joel Steer and Ben Williams.  

Nothing we didn't already know really.

There was little point in offering Lowe a deal IMHO if he's already got offers from Championship clubs that would blow us out of the water in terms of what we could offer him wage wise.

Always tough with the kids being released as obviously you want to see them progress and the results are good in general but similar to Mark I'm not close enough to know whether we should be concerned or in reality this is just standard.  As said nothing to shock in that list.  

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

So they reckon they didn't even offer Lowe a new deal. Seems a bit odd for a product of the academy captain who has been an ever present in the last 5 years.

Last ditch attempt this summer to make him valuable by promoting him to captain. No bites in January so game over. According to some on here he's off to the Premier League, so we'll be able to watch him on MOTD soon enough. 

Have to say despite the state the club is in, it's nice to see the likes of Lowe, Henley, Hopeless and Brown leaving. A shame about Guthrie's injury proneness. Greer got one last decent payday out of us.

• Backroom

So do we currently have any central midfielders?

Bennett and Tomlinson may be the only ones and Bennett has only been shoehorned in albeit very well 

No real surprises on the list. Lowe was obviously well liked by TM - but too expensive now.

The question for me is who's decided on the retained list? No Senior and, as things currently stand, no confirmation on TM sticking around...

Just now, sharpysharps said:

No surprises....not particularly sad to see any of those first team players leave...although I think Akpan & Guthrie could've done a really good job for us in League One.

They could have all probably done a job in League One.

No surprise there. I would have kept Guthrie myself I thought bar the barnsley game I thought he was excellent granted injury prone but could do a job.

Akpan I don't think is loss wasn't bad under lambert but was a squad player more so.

I think we all knew that anybody  in the final year would not have their contact renewed 

Sounds good. Some of them should have been released a long time ago and others should never have been signed in the first place. Clear the crap and get youth in. Under proper ownership this cleansing process could leave us stronger when we eventually get back to the Championship. 

No surprises with regard to those released.  I believe Mowbray and Senior had discussed it some time ago and were agreed on who was going.  The Academy lads had been informed some time ago and a number were already having trials at other clubs during the last few weeks of the season.

50 minutes ago, DE. said:

Last ditch attempt this summer to make him valuable by promoting him to captain. No bites in January so game over. According to some on here he's off to the Premier League, so we'll be able to watch him on MOTD soon enough. 

Can't wait!

Just now, Boz said:

There may be surprises at the level of offers made to some of the academy graduates, I would not be surprised if these offers were not accepted by these lads. 

Agree with this.  Really does sound like a return to the seventies shoe-string budget.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Agree with this.  Really does sound like a return to the seventies shoe-string budget.

It's ok, the owners seem quite happy to chuck x4 as much money to some finance companies as they have spent on players in the last 4 transfer windows.

Keeping the powder dry.........?

Archived