SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Retained List

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
45 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

JH does this mean my main man Charlie Mulgrew is staying put & have they offered God himself a new contract? :)

Mulgrew signed a three year deal, didn't he? 

52 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

JH does this mean my main man Charlie Mulgrew is staying put & have they offered God himself a new contract? :)

All the senior ones retained are retained because they are on contracts nothing else. Sadly it doesn't mean they'll all be staying and in true Venkys Rovers style they'll sell at the last minute if they are selling.

It would be nice to keep Guthrie, but I imagine he'd get a significant chunk by League 1 standards and he's too injury prone. One of the issues this year was wasting so much of our apparent wage budget on players who are quite good by Championship standards or at least have their flashes, but were too injury prone for a 46 game season: Graham, Mulgrew, Evans, Guthrie, Bennett, Stokes (or whatever the hell's going on with him). Conway is starting to break down. Brown and Greer's injuries hurt our depth too. I don't know if they were considered injury prone leading up to this season, but Bennett, Ward, and Hoban's injuries hurt. Lenihan as well. There were some prescient folks attacking Coyle's history with player fitness...

Lowe has his limits but he could probably be a decent League 1 midfielder and he probably cares about the club more than most, but fat chance of any person readily accepting a 60-70% paycut. Similar story for Akpan. If anything, I'll be glad to see the end of bickering about Lowe...

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

The club has made offers of re-engagement to Connor Mahoney and Lewis Travis, whilst professional contract offers have been made to youngsters Charley Doyle, Joe Grayson, Tyler Magloire and Stefan Mols.

How do others interpret that?

Does it mean none of the listed players in that paragraph have actually agreed to the deal and signed yet, even the "youngsters"?

Precisely that.  Re-engagement because both of those players will already have had existing contracts that have expired.  The others are academy graduates who I presume haven't previously had a professional contract.

Will be interesting to see if any are signed, at least will put something concrete to the suggestion the offers are miserly.

Henley just posted a nice message on Instagram, basically thanking fans, club etc. Also small dig at owners by saying in the right hands we can move forward. You forget how long he's been with us. Shame he never kicked on and can't seem to beat his injury issues. Given the latter it's difficult to see a club taking a punt.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Henley just posted a nice message on Instagram, basically thanking fans, club etc. Also small dig at owners by saying in the right hands we can move forward. You forget how long he's been with us. Shame he never kicked on and can't seem to beat his injury issues. Given the latter it's difficult to see a club taking a punt.

What division do you think he will end up in? 

Also, I would say that is more than a small dig

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, but he basically said the current owners are rubbish. Nothing we don't know, but not every player even acknowledges it.

I think most players that have been at rovers in last 6/7 years will admit the club is being run poorly, some have said it publicly sum haven't but would probably acknowledged all was not right if asked

Just now, JonnyP said:

I think most players that have been at rovers in last 6/7 years will admit the club is being run poorly, some have said it publicly sum haven't but would probably acknowledged all was not right if asked

Ya, those that left have. I would like to hear more from some of the players while they are actually here. David Dunn really should be saying more. 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hard to tell. Isn't he half American? Wouldn't surprise me if he picked up a club in the States or abroad. Given his injury issues and light frame he's not really cut out for English football IMO.

I thought Canadian, but maybe I am confusing him with Junior Toilet. 

22 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He has earned a reputed £15k per week for the last five years and I think anybody would struggle to remember ten games where he has played well. Another example of the madness we have endured for the last six years.

Ya, those that left have. I would like to hear more from some of the players while they are actually here. David Dunn really should be saying more. 

No player or staff that is under contract at the club is publicly going to come out and slate the club publicly unless they are half out the door.

No great shocks at all, as a few others have pointed out it appears to be quite telling that none of the youngsters offered terms have actually signed anything yet which would lead you to think they are being offered League 1 terms.

For me Henley struggled massively from never getting games at a lower level on loan  when he came through and always appeared to me to be a little soft when the going got tough. He has certainly been very well remunerated for his time here and will be interesting if his career drops or kicks on now.

Jason Lowe is simply Jason Lowe, we will learn now whether as some say we didn't appreciate him or as others think he was a cart horse with very limited footballing abilities. He certainly leaves BRFC as a millionaire so can't be too unhappy!

Just now, arbitro said:

He has earned a reputed £15k per week for the last five years and I think anybody would struggle to remember ten games where he has played well. Another example of the madness we have endured for the last six years.

That's just short of £4m gross, Tony, for a relative nobody. Nice work if you can get it. The crazy world of football!

I wonder what would happen them if they did 

It could be a breach of their contract where a fine could be the consequence? But I'm not sure, it would involve some sort of discipline action being taken, clubs can't have players publicly coming out every time they get in tiff about something they arn't happy with, tho in our case they wouldn't be wrong but can't be seen to do it. 

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

That's just short of £4m gross, Tony, for a relative nobody. Nice work if you can get it. The crazy world of football!

And Jason Lowe on a similar amount on a five year deal too Mark.

It would be interesting to know how much Rovers have wasted on limp, lazy and useless players over the last five years for little or no return. 

Just now, JonnyP said:

It could be a breach of their contract where a fine could be the consequence? But I'm not sure, it would involve some sort of discipline action being taken, clubs can't have players publicly coming out every time they get in tiff about something they arn't happy with, tho in our case they wouldn't be wrong but can't be seen to do it. 

Harsh fining them for telling the truth. I suppose they don't want to be seen as trouble makers either in other clubs(potential employers) eyes. 

Just now, arbitro said:

It would be interesting to know how much Rovers have wasted on limp, lazy and useless players over the last five years for little or no return. 

I would be guessing in and around £50 million 

Just now, arbitro said:

I've thought this a few times, whilst the owners have rightly been savaged over their tenure it hasn't half been a steady number to be a player at Ewood! The amount of inept performances we have witnessed from some of the best paid players in the league has been nothing short of disgraceful.

We can't really cry over any of these lot the likes of Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie etc have all been pivitol in our demise they either aren't good enough or haven't done enough. It really is time for a clear out as to see them coasting it in league 1 on ten grand per week is asking for more bother you know they won't take us up the winning battling game after game mentality just isn't in their DNA.

Way way over generous contracts a symptom of agents running the show and owners not giving a toss has dumped us where we are strand most of this squad has been complicit to it. Also a hangover from Bowyers only sign nice lads policy so it really is time for a clear out and the only thing making us wish we might have hung on to a few is the fear of what comes next not the fact any of the departed are actually much good.

Whoever comes in its time for a new mentality as the previous one will see us struggle massively in this rough house division.

Archived