BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ripping from SKY+

I know this is turning into 'I can't believe it's not TV' but all this telly talk has reminded me of a question I've been too lazy to properly research yet.

im almost certainly upgrading to Sky Q soon, but I have one particular recording on there that has real sentimental value, that I'd like to retain (which annoyingly is recorded from a free to air channel, but not on iPlayer).  I know I can output over composite to a PC with Veideo card with composite in, but are there any  options to grab it at better quality.

It is going through a Chinese-via-amazon HDMI splitter which the product reviews (though not the official description) claims strips HDCP and indeed Sky doesn't complain about it like I'd expect it would do with an inline splitter, but I don't want to shell out a decent amount of cash on a veideo card with HDMI-in for what is likely to be a single use, especially if there is a high chance of it not actually working.

I did try streaming it via an Xbox one onto Win10, but sadly MS are savvy to that and won't let hdcp encyroted content  be streamed in in that way (I've yet to try sky -> splitter -> Xbox one -> win 10)

Anyone got any clever work arounds? I'm assuming the on-disk encryption Sky use hasn't been cracked yet? 

The only time I ever recorded off sky (kids birthday cards being shown on milkshake) I just hooked up a DVD recorder I used to have. 

I guess there must be more technical ways using HDMI screen grabs (how 4k blu rays are currently being ripped) but I've no idea how.

My main reason for not going Sky Q is that you no longer are able to pump the signal round the house. You instead need to buy extra boxes (£99 each) and I think you can only have 4. That and you then need to pay £12pm more for multiroom. I'll stick with pumping it round via analogue for free.

1 hour ago, den said:

The 1TB SkyQ system gives you free main box and free mini boxes. You pay for multi room whichever system you use. 

Last time I looked it gave you a single free mini box and anything beyond that cost £99 each.  Also, to get UDH, you have to have the 2TB box and even if you don't need multiroom, you are required to pay the additional £12 per month which is just bizarre.

Also, with the 1TB box, you can only watch on 2 TV's are once (even if you connect up 4 mini boxes) and you can watch on 3 TV's with the 2TB box.  I presume those numbers include the main box but I'm not sure on that. If it does, that would mean on the 1TB box that you could watch in the main room and on one single other mini box at the same time.  It all just seems a little bit limited (and expensive)

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a 1080p rip of it quite cheaply.

I already had a cheap chinese  HDMI splitter which has the useful side effect of stripping HDCP on the way through. Then rather than but a PC capture card that does HDMI/1080p I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DKICMTA/ which records an HDMI source straight into an external USB (it's designed for making gaming video) at the tough of a button.

Now to see if there is anything else I feel the need to keep from Sky+ before I upgrade to Sky Q. 

Archived