BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ex Rovers Players Who Make You Sick

Best

Murphy

Orr

Duffy

Hard to pick who's the biggest turd out of that lot and Duffy is probably the one i'd most like to smack in the mouth but he at least did contribute on occasions. The sooner the club moves away from giving busted flushes a last contract and just carrying the odd younger player until he finds a step up all in the interests of agents then the sooner we will begin to move forwards.

Sadly only a change of ownership will alter that as we saw last seson with the likes of Brown and Stokes we are still wide open to abuse.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bentley is an interesting one. Fantastic player for Rovers. Yet like many he left for supposed greener pastures. He should have been more involved with England during McClaren's tragic Euro 2008 campaign. 

I've seen interviews with him and read about his post Rovers time. After his Spurs struggles I think that he finally grew up. By all accounts - many his - he was a bit of a plonker. Once he'd matured he realised that he'd ball$ed up the prime of his career. That drove him to not like the game anymore and he walked away. He sounds at peace with it all.

This thread will be heavy with Venkys era players, and with good reason too, yet I remember Lucas Neill getting some real grief on here.

42 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Bentley is an interesting one. Fantastic player for Rovers. Yet like many he left for supposed greener pastures. He should have been more involved with England during McClaren's tragic Euro 2008 campaign. 

I've seen interviews with him and read about his post Rovers time. After his Spurs struggles I think that he finally grew up. By all accounts - many his - he was a bit of a plonker. Once he'd matured he realised that he'd ball$ed up the prime of his career. That drove him to not like the game anymore and he walked away. He sounds at peace with it all.

This thread will be heavy with Venkys era players, and with good reason too, yet I remember Lucas Neill getting some real grief on here.

Very unusual in packing in the game so soon without major injury problems. He must have really got fed up with it and had made enough cash to finish. Think he has some sort of brain though. He invested in restaurants in Spain and I think lives out there now doing ok for himself.

I met Bentley at a charity event a few years ago, whist he was at Rovers, during his initial spell. He was amongst several other Rovers players at the event, as it was A charity headed up by Jason Roberts, something to do with his Grenada Foundation. There weren't many Rovers fans at the event, so I made my way to the players table and sat amongst them, (very welcomed too), for about 30 minutes. I had a 5 minute conversation with Bentley and he came across very well to be honest. He was sat next to Morten Gamst Pederson who was fantastic to talk to. I would therefore not class him as anything like Orr and Best.

The one for me, in addition to those already mentioned was El Hadj Diouff. I was sickened when he signed for us, probably because of his spitting in the past, but also for a blatant dive against us, when playing for Bolton that led to a penalty that never was.

Just now, lraC said:

I met Bentley at a charity event a few years ago, whist he was at Rovers, during his initial spell. He was amongst several other Rovers players at the event, as it was A charity headed up by Jason Roberts, something to do with his Grenada Foundation. There weren't many Rovers fans at the event, so I made my way to the players table and sat amongst them, (very welcomed too), for about 30 minutes. I had a 5 minute conversation with Bentley and he came across very well to be honest. He was sat next to Morten Gamst Pederson who was fantastic to talk to. I would therefore not class him as anything like Orr and Best.

The one for me, in addition to those already mentioned was El Hadj Diouff. I was sickened when he signed for us, probably because of his spitting in the past, but also for a blatant dive against us, when playing for Bolton that led to a penalty that never was.

Decent player though. Best and Murphy were dog sh1t 

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

What about Corrado Grabbi in terms of sheer expense? And Kevin Davies was another expensive flop for us.

Keith Andrews treated very unfairly by many supporters IMHO,the same goes for Mark Atkins,and he won a Premier League winners medal!

I wouldn't hate a player just because he was expensive and flopped. 

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

What about Corrado Grabbi in terms of sheer expense? And Kevin Davies was another expensive flop for us.

Keith Andrews treated very unfairly by many supporters IMHO,the same goes for Mark Atkins,and he won a Premier League winners medal!

The big difference for Grabbi and Davies is that at least they tried - they failed, but they tried! You can't hold that against them, whereas muppets like Best and Murphy and Orr were complete doshgite, as Bigdoggsteel says..

Another player who did well enough for us, but left a bitter taste in the moth when he left was Lucas Neil. I know they all spout rubbish when they sign for a new club, but what he said when signing for the hammers, was sickly.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't hate a player just because he was expensive and flopped. 

Me neither and to be honest, despite failing, I quite liked Grabbi.

Just now, lraC said:

Another player who did well enough for us, but left a bitter taste in the moth when he left was Lucas Neil. I know they all spout rubbish when they sign for a new club, but what he said when signing for the hammers, was sickly.

What did he say again?

I really liked him as a player, but he was clearly an arrogant git. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

What did he say again?

I really liked him as a player, but he was clearly an arrogant git. 

He just rambled on about supplying the scorer of the winning goal in the world cup, having a reputation for passing football and a history to be proud of. It all came across as extremely  insincere.

• Backroom

Controversial: Colin Hendry.

Loved him as a little boy (though I didn't really know who he was at the time, I was only 3 going on 4), but the excuse he's become since losing his wife, what happened with the pensioner neighbours, and him stealing a living on the coaching staff under Kean, all leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

A shame for such a pivotal figure in one of the greatest days of our club and a once-in-a-generation story of football.

Think people have pretty much covered the list of scum who we've made that bit richer. What really makes me sick is seeing all the ex Rovers players in teams that we use to be miles in front of. Every time I watch a game there seems to be someone connected to us. 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As long as they try their best and work hard, that's good enough for me. 

Leon Best and Danny Murphy make me feel a bit angry when i think about their time here. 

At last! BDS and me see eye to eye on a Rovers related subject! Yay!

That feeling of being cheated, and the awful certainty that there is nothing that we can do about it, is the very reason I started the thread - prompted by Best being released by Ipswich.

Derek bleeding Dougan. Asked for a transfer on the morning of the 1960 FA Cup Final. !!

Start of a dreadful day for the club including the famous tickets scandal which led to many fans boycotting the club forever.

And we lost 3-0.

What a pathetic thread. These are mainly professional footballers who have been landed in this surreal situation and had to make the best if it they could. If anyone makes you puke it should be the Venkys and their cohorts.

13 hours ago, david brent said:

If you had seen his interview on bt sport just over a year ago you may well change your mind. He was a studio pundit for a Spurs game and he was speaking about his career. He stated he had his best time at Rovers, loved the club and the fans. Played his best football with us. Biggest mistake he made in his career was leaving Rovers and joining Spurs. Career nosedived - wished he had stayed with us. Regretted the manner in which he left. Came back to Rovers hoping to resurrect his career but it wasn't the same club (under Venkys)

It was an honest and at times emotive interview. Sure others on here must have seen it.

I've seen it on YouTube. Loved Bentley when he played for us and genuinely wanted him too succeed after leaving. You don't get called the next Beckham if you can't play, real shame it didn't work out for him but gave us some great memories. 

Archived