BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Fine Chaddy  as opposed to him saying  ''We have to continue to makes this Club unsuccessful''.  what point are you trying to make?

Just posting links to Mowbray bbc lancs interview. Havent given my opinion at all so far. 

I like Mowbray and his comments. Yes he made some mistakes but been impress by him since he joined. 

I like him saying public we have to make us successful and at least he being open and honest with this. 

What point are you making?

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

'We have to make this club successful again'

Blackburn @Rovers head coach Tony Mowbray.

?https://t.co/E9AhFV9p0E… - https://t.co/aA42VhJL7R

I am glad that Mowbray is planning - in his head - for the long term and thinking about a team that can grow into the championship. However, I find it odd, and perhaps quite naive that he would say this stuff out loud before we play Rochdale whilst sitting mid-table in the third division. If I were a Rochdale player I might consider it smacked of hubris and quite fancy bringing him back down to earth on Saturday. Plan for the future = great, but in the media it should be "focused on the next game" and that alone.

Unless of course it's being said for Pasha to hear (and to eventually relay upwards) because he can't get through to him and he's looking over his shoulder a bit?

I'm just speculating - I find the timing of those comments odd - I may be way out with my guess as to why.he said it though.

54 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

I am glad that Mowbray is planning - in his head - for the long term and thinking about a team that can grow into the championship. However, I find it odd, and perhaps quite naive that he would say this stuff out loud before we play Rochdale whilst sitting mid-table in the third division. If I were a Rochdale player I might consider it smacked of hubris and quite fancy bringing him back down to earth on Saturday. Plan for the future = great, but in the media it should be "focused on the next game" and that alone.

Unless of course it's being said for Pasha to hear (and to eventually relay upwards) because he can't get through to him and he's looking over his shoulder a bit?

I'm just speculating - I find the timing of those comments odd - I may be way out with my guess as to why.he said it though.

I agree with you about the Championship comments, manna from heaven for Hill to stick on the changing room door, as the saying goes. The comments don't strike me as contrived though. I think Mowbray is just very open with the press and doesn't resort as quickly to flimflam as some of our managers have in the past. He just seems to blab whatever's on his mind and answers questions honestly. I'm not sure that's always a good thing!

I hate pre-match platitudes. Managers get asked questions and try to answer them. They nearly always feel obliged to big up the opposition, or to be drawn on speculation about on opposition player, or feel they have to fill the air time. If they are cagey then they are "feeling the pressure" or if they are honest they are accused of hubris or some other criticism.

I'm not sure that they are really necessary.

I just hope that sooner or later a Venkys manager starts to turn us into a team for others to fear, and defend against, rather than setting up to nullify the opposition.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I hate pre-match platitudes. Managers get asked questions and try to answer them. They nearly always feel obliged to big up the opposition, or to be drawn on speculation about on opposition player, or feel they have to fill the air time. If they are cagey then they are "feeling the pressure" or if they are honest they are accused of hubris or some other criticism.

I just hope that sooner or later a Venkys manager starts to turn us into a team for others to fear, and defend against, rather than setting up to nullify the opposition.

Was listening to a Football Ramble podcast interviewing, I think, Mark Chapman. He was making the point that of all the media saturation in football, the pre-match press conferences with the managers is the worst offender and should be done away with. What on earth are they able to achieve, aside from filling Sky Sports News' rolling feed on a Thursday, online clicks for scratty local newspapers, and giving us all something to whine about on a Saturday morning?

I'm certain the hysteria that builds, the rapidity of sackings etc is mainly to do with the number of touchpoints we have with our clubs and managers. When you're confronted with a dozen things per week to form a judgement on, of course it accelerates the point at which you believe things are untenable and need to change. No wonder the smarter foreign managers play dumb and pretend not to speak enough English to do all the various media commitments they're supposed to. It's a virtually no-win situation.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

This point, and others made about pre-match press conferences are all fair enough - for an honest man like Mowbray it is essentially a no-win situation. However, for some deep thinking and manipulative managers it is an opportunity to get a psychological advantage over the opposition. If a team is lucky enough to have one of those guys it can be worth several points a season. We don't seem to have a manager who can do this though - just saying - I still respect and like him - it's not a major, career ending flaw, it's just Hill can so easily play mind games on our players and yet we start talking about building a team for the championship and it makes me cringe to see us essentially falling into Keith Hill's trap. Mowbray might have got into the Rochdale's head by saying things like he expects them to play out of their skins, it's a huge game for them, they're bound to play well when they know it means soooo much to their fans to beat us and yada, yada, yada. I didn't actually accuse him of hubris btw, I accused him of saying things that can be perceived as hubris - which is different. Of course Mowbray should be planning for promotion - we're way too big for tin-pot teams like Rochdale and the flippin' third division - but for God's sake please don't essentially spell that out for them in a pre-match press conference just before playing against one of the potential whipping boys.

On 09/09/2017 at 08:48, Stuart said:

Nullifying the opposition is what managers like Big Sam and Tony Pulis build their successes on.

46 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Nullifying the opposition is what managers like Big Sam and Tony Pulis build their successes on.

I am absolutely convinced that any success we have this season will come through keeping clean sheets. We have the capability to score in every game and with Mowbray now apparently seeing sense about his formation we have conceded one goal in three games.

49 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I think you do both a disservice, and fallen for the media spin. Only against the top teams did they set out a stall like that - which is where they got their reputations. They media are only watching when they play (and frustrate) the 'big boys'. They have much more in their locker when it comes to the 'winnable' games - and win they do.

They also bring in game-changing players.

Okacha, McCarthy, Diouf, Djorkaef, Anelka

Kenwyn Jones, Akinbiyi, Crouch, Berahino, N'Zonzi (both), Gudjonsson (both)

2 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Is the jury still out for TM? Would love to see where we stand after 10 league games, 5 more to go.

Nope not if he continues to do what he is doing and not over-complicate things like he did in the first few games. Seems he has listened.

Why at times are we tempted to pillory the ONLY good thing to have happened to our club in the last 7 years?

Plesee sir, can we have one from Kean, Black, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle back.

Why do I say the only good thing on the manager front? Because he actually cares! There is no doubt in my mind that TM sees this as a project not an opportunity to fleece. Bowyer aside perhaps, none of the others cared anywhere near as much about getting the club back on its feet. Is it wrong to talk about the future and to plan; really?

He may not get it right all of the time but I'd rather have him in charge than any of the other aforementioned (including Bowyer).

Remember Mowbray was around when they locked the gates at Boro in '86 and they were £2m in debt. They then came back from obscurity under Rioch with Mogga as skipper.

He understood our plight before he joined; he chose to stay at the end of last season when he could have bailed out but didn't. Why because he cares and whilst he was dealt a s*** stack of cards by Coyle was prepared to take responsibility for relegation too; something he has got across to the players.

Mowbray has written about the importance of fans in his autobiography and how they under-estimate the impact they can have on the team (both good and bad). I'm glad he wears his heart on his sleeve. Leave the mind games up to the PL managers; who just wish they were as good at it as SAF and Kenny.

I dont think anybody has claimed he does not care with most saying he seems to be a top bloke - he even refused taking any compo when he left Coventry. He was being judged for what was happening on the pitch - which is how it should be and he got it awfully wrong in the first couple of games playing maths equation formations. We championed for him to forget the Barca style tactics and to just keep it simple with a 442, he has either listened or realized this himself and now the results and performances are coming.

11 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Why at times are we tempted to pillory the ONLY good thing to have happened to our club in the last 7 years?

Because it's football and people have strong opinions. When he gets it wrong, which he spectacularly did in the first two games and a few last season, he will get stick just like every manager at every other club does..

Bowyer saved us from relegation. Mowbray didn't. 'Only good thing' my ar$e.

18 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Nope not if he continues to do what he is doing and not over-complicate things like he did in the first few games. Seems he has listened.

I would say he has learned rather than listened. Cant see TM reading what us half wits (that includes myself !) write on here and acting on it !

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

I would say he has learned rather than listened. Cant see TM reading what us half wits (that includes myself !) write on here and acting on it !

Haha - yeah probably but you never know. If i was a manager id certainly be a regular reader of the forums.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Haha - yeah probably but you never know. If i was a manager id certainly be a regular reader of the forums.

I hope he aint Jack ..he ll never know his best eleven with some of the team selections/thoughts on players that we throw around 

4 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

He did acknowledge the criticism though. He said it wasn't about formations after the Donny game, then promptly changed it for the Bradford game:D

He knew he'd messed up, Whittingham was dropped and he went for 'hard to beat' instead. At least he wasn't pig-headed enough to continue with the same failing system, which was what Coyle did all last season.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Because it's football and people have strong opinions. When he gets it wrong, which he spectacularly did in the first two games and a few last season, he will get stick just like every manager at every other club does..

Bowyer saved us from relegation. Mowbray didn't. 'Only good thing' my ar$e.

Fair comment and I did highlight Bowyer from the rest.

110% agree that results dictate too nor should any manager be shielded from criticism; just think we need to remember that there is a bigger picture to our club (sadly!) that I believe Mowbray understands better than most and that includes galvanising support.

41 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Plesee sir, can we have one from Kean, Black, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle back.

Why do I say the only good thing on the manager front? Because he actually cares! There is no doubt in my mind that TM sees this as a project not an opportunity to fleece. Bowyer aside perhaps, none of the others cared anywhere near as much about getting the club back on its feet. Is it wrong to talk about the future and to plan; really?

He may not get it right all of the time but I'd rather have him in charge than any of the other aforementioned (including Bowyer).

Remember Mowbray was around when they locked the gates at Boro in '86 and they were £2m in debt. They then came back from obscurity under Rioch with Mogga as skipper.

He understood our plight before he joined; he chose to stay at the end of last season when he could have bailed out but didn't. Why because he cares and whilst he was dealt a s*** stack of cards by Coyle was prepared to take responsibility for relegation too; something he has got across to the players.

Mowbray has written about the importance of fans in his autobiography and how they under-estimate the impact they can have on the team (both good and bad). I'm glad he wears his heart on his sleeve. Leave the mind games up to the PL managers; who just wish they were as good at it as SAF and Kenny.

I haven't seen much (if any) criticism of Mowbray as a person. The flak he was getting pretty much related to his tactics in the first two league games which undoubtedly contributed to us losing. Anybody who makes decisions and is in the public eye can expect their decisions to be criticised when people believe them to be wrong.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He did acknowledge the criticism though. He said it wasn't about formations after the Donny game, then promptly changed it for the Bradford game:D

He knew he'd messed up, Whittingham was dropped and he went for 'hard to beat' instead. At least he wasn't pig-headed enough to continue with the same failing system, which was what Coyle did all last season.

In the last few games, he's only done what we were saying he should do, it has hardly been managerial genius. Keep it simple, play a formation that everyone understands, play players in their correct positions, and we have a team/squad that should go up.

Archived