SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JAL said:

What's reasonable?

I would say lower mid table to mid table, irrespective of what TM may or may not have said in the past.

Any team being promoted to a higher division would look for consolidation initially with anything better being a bonus.

Much rests on the amount of funding that Venky’s are prepared to throw our way. I won’t be holding my breath for any significant amounts so I think we should all be happy enough somewhere in mid table.

• Backroom
55 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Consolidate at a minimum and would be very happy at anything better.

Also, a bit of sensible funding and keeping hold of our better players would also please me.

Agreed. It's easy to demand a push for the playoffs but compare our current side to the team that finished 7th under Bowyer and there's still a pretty big gap in quality. Two of our best players in Mulgrew and Graham are the wrong side of 30 as well and both have historically struggled with fitness levels. We shouldn't underestimate the difficulties Mowbray is facing going into next season.

With that said, the likes of Millwall, Preston, Ipswich and Sheff Utd have shown that a good season can be achieved on a fairly meagre budget, so with sensible spending and a style of play that suits the players at the club it is possible to do well. I have to admit I'm a bit concerned with the latter as I don't feel like this season's style of play often suited the players available, but TM has the summer to rethink that and refine his ideas for the next campaign.

50 minutes ago, DE. said:

Agreed. It's easy to demand a push for the playoffs but compare our current side to the team that finished 7th under Bowyer and there's still a pretty big gap in quality. Two of our best players in Mulgrew and Graham are the wrong side of 30 as well and both have historically struggled with fitness levels. We shouldn't underestimate the difficulties Mowbray is facing going into next season.

With that said, the likes of Millwall, Preston, Ipswich and Sheff Utd have shown that a good season can be achieved on a fairly meagre budget, so with sensible spending and a style of play that suits the players at the club it is possible to do well. I have to admit I'm a bit concerned with the latter as I don't feel like this season's style of play often suited the players available, but TM has the summer to rethink that and refine his ideas for the next campaign.

I'd be happier if Johnno was more involved with the first team.

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

“All we have achieved is getting promoted out of League One.

“That doesn’t rank that highly in my list of personal achievements.”

He added: “Blackburn Rovers shouldn’t be in League One so while the achievement is great, it’s not high on my achievement list because I expect it.”

10 years ago (West Brom) were going to the Premier League to play Manchester United and that made me proud and you look forward to that fixture list and you’re playing Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal.

“That’s what I want for this club, then you feel a pride.”

The best manager we have had for ages. 

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Yup, we shouldnt be getting ahead of ourselves. While it is possible we could continue this winning habit and do a Millwall or Sheff Utd, we could also do a Bolton.

On the style of play, I felt that TM often set up to counter attack - which might just suit us better int he Championship. There wont be teams parking the bus on us up there compared to down here.

Still, either way - just some sensible business in the transfer market please. Gradually get ourselves a core set of players and strengthen year on year. I would rather establish ourselves as a decent Champs team than become a yo-yo team between Champs and Div 2 by wasting money on the wrong players. Young and hungry players that can increase in value that we will obviously sell-on - hopefully with any funds going back into the team (or at least some of them).

On 02/05/2018 at 17:50, Mike E said:

Agreed. No 'marquee' signing needed. Sensible signings to fit our playing needs on the pitch.

While I have rough ideas of what I'd like to see, I have faith Mowbray will do a reasonable job.

Not sure I agree with this... Only guaranteed performer in my mind is Dack, (know he's never played champ level, but he's so good and so rounded I think he will do very very well).

Everyone else is a bit of a gamble. The likes of lenihan, Mulgrew, Graham have the talent, but all are either getting on and/or have injury issues. Beyond that we are really looking to either untested players (Smallwood, Samuel, Bell) or players who have already played in the champ and been mediocre (Bennett, Evans, Williams) to step up. 

To really be competitive at the top end of the champ I think we need 4-6 very good signings (I'd count re-signing Armstrong as one of those if we got him) . Short of that we are looking mid table at absolute best.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure I agree with this... Only guaranteed performer in my mind is Dack, (know he's never played champ level, but he's so good and so rounded I think he will do very very well).

Everyone else is a bit of a gamble. The likes of lenihan, Mulgrew, Graham have the talent, but all are either getting on and/or have injury issues. Beyond that we are really looking to either untested players (Smallwood, Samuel, Bell) or players who have already played in the champ and been mediocre (Bennett, Evans, Williams) to step up. 

To really be competitive at the top end of the champ I think we need 4-6 very good signings (I'd count re-signing Armstrong as one of those if we got him) . Short of that we are looking mid table at absolute best.

I'm thinking of midtable as success tbf. That being said, we'll see what TM does this summer.

To be quite honest, after the last couple of years, I'll take not being in a relegation scrap for most of the season. I'll take winning more home matches than we lose. I'll take the occasional scalp away from home. No point in pretending the championship will be easy so any successes will be cause for satisfaction and celebration, just no pitch invasions

• Backroom
Just now, gumboots said:

To be quite honest, after the last couple of years, I'll take not being in a relegation scrap for most of the season. I'll take winning more home matches than we lose. I'll take the occasional scalp away from home. No point in pretending the championship will be easy so any successes will be cause for satisfaction and celebration, just no pitch invasions

Not til the 92nd minute of the Title-chasing final game anyway ;)

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

I'm hoping we are aiming for the play-offs, but I'd be more than happy with mid-table respectability.

I wonder how he will fare when he goes to India. The feel good factor currently surrounding the club would vanish in an instant if he decided Venkys weren’t going to take next season seriously and didn’t share his ambition.

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

I wonder how he will fare when he goes to India. The feel good factor currently surrounding the club would vanish in an instant if he decided Venkys weren’t going to take next season seriously and didn’t share his ambition.

And there's the rub for me. I find this softening towards them alarming and given their record nobody knows how they will react. I still find it disconcerting when there has to be a delegation travel to India with what appears to be a begging bowl.

The statement from the owners was not encouraging in tis context.There was  no reference at all to the years of misery since Venkys took over and only the vaguest of attention to the future.

99% of it was exultation over events of this season. There was no pledge at all to do what was required to assist TM in his endeavours for next season and keep the momentum going.

I appreciate he has still to meet with them but its no secret that he wants transfer funds to move us forward. Of that there was not a word.

They did say "he will get our full support" but that is as vague as it gets and, in any case, every manager they've appointed has had that assurance! :(

• Backroom
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

And there's the rub for me. I find this softening towards them alarming

Happens every time anything remotely positive happens at the club. It usually doesn't last long as a self-inflicted disaster is never far around the corner. 

I still wouldn't put it past them to bring Kean back at some point, so for that reason alone I remain extremely wary of the owners and everything they do in relation to this club.

Archived