BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JHRover said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying its a 'god send'. I'm pleased he says he's staying because I don't think we'll get a better manager under these buffoons. Not because of our league status or finances, but because they will promote Dunny. Ultimately though whilst some stability and clarity on the managerial position is welcome, I'm not going to be cracking open the Bollinger just yet.

People are being negative because there's no reason to be positive.

I'd love to be excited about next season and a promotion push but they've made a mess of every summer since 2010 so there's little reason to think this will be any different just because someone has told Mowbray he's got their support.

The proof will be in the pudding. If they go out and assemble a strong squad, spend some money and keep our better players then I'll be happier.

Yes ,but can fans take this summer at face value or will it always be harping back to previous mistakes. Look, they happened and we are all p**** , but with Mowbray here I expect us to challenge at the top of the division. 

As you say though, the biggest indicator of our intent will be our recruitment. It sounds like Mowbray has been given assurances, lets wait and see I suppose. 

We need 2-3 older players to go with the youngsters and a new striker. Easier said that done to find a good striker...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes ,but can fans take this summer at face value or will it always be harping back to previous mistakes. Look, they happened and we are all p**** , but with Mowbray here I expect us to challenge at the top of the division. 

As you say though, the biggest indicator of our intent will be our recruitment. It sounds like Mowbray has been given assurances, lets wait and see I suppose. 

We need 2-3 older players to go with the youngsters and a new striker. Easier said that done to find a good striker...

we need 6-7 players at least if we are going to challenge for a promotion we need a midfield and a couple upfront if the squad is going to last the distance whilst not loosing anyone. TM won't deliver anything if he isn't given a squad that has a chance of competing for a promotion, it's not about the 11 men on the team sheet 46 game slog requires a squad and the way we are letting players go, will we have a squad?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we do challenge at the top of the division it will more be to do with the last remnants of a mid-table Championship side and our sheer size/wage bill. It won't be down to the owners or the 'strategy' they're putting into place. Like when we dropped out of the Prem, the sheer size and cost of our squad packed with Premier League experience meant that even Kean had us near the top of it for a while. If they'd have got a proper manager back then I'd have had us down to go straight back up even with that squad.

Sadly we've seen and heard all this before and unless something seismic has happened in recent weeks then I expect it will be groundhog day this summer.

The only hope we've got is that relegation has been some sort of 'wake up' call and they've agreed to do it exactly how Mowbray wants, but I'm not holding my breath.

Its definitely a case of wait and see. I'm relieved that Mowbray is seemingly staying though its early days.

Like I've said before, with our size and status in League One and the money off the books this summer we should be able to go out and cherry pick some of the best players the division has to offer. These lads performing well at Fleetwood/Rochdale/Scunthorpe last season should be looked at and there's no real reason why we can't sign some of them if we want.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray on discussions with #Rovers owners: "The owners were supportive of my ideas and plans...I am very happy to move forward."

http://mobile.rovers.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/tony-mowbray-blackburn-rovers-3723649.aspx

Asked Rich Sharpe about an interview with Mowbray and coaching staff changes

Here the reply

understand he's still in India but going to give him a try. Believe further announcements expected in the coming days.

What a load of @#/?.... my plans ......ha ha ha !

Just now, JonnyP said:

we need 6-7 players at least if we are going to challenge for a promotion we need a midfield and a couple upfront if the squad is going to last the distance whilst not loosing anyone. TM won't deliver anything if he isn't given a squad that has a chance of competing for a promotion, it's not about the 11 men on the team sheet 46 game slog requires a squad and the way we are letting players go, will we have a squad?

Ya, we do need that many. I wasn't being specific, just what i feel are the first few signings we need to make. Well time will tell, Mowbray has a busy summer ahead if they have agreed to back him. 

Just now, JHRover said:

If we do challenge at the top of the division it will more be to do with the last remnants of a mid-table Championship side and our sheer size/wage bill. It won't be down to the owners or the 'strategy' they're putting into place. Like when we dropped out of the Prem, the sheer size and cost of our squad packed with Premier League experience meant that even Kean had us near the top of it for a while. If they'd have got a proper manager back then I'd have had us down to go straight back up even with that squad.

Sadly we've seen and heard all this before and unless something seismic has happened in recent weeks then I expect it will be groundhog day this summer.

The only hope we've got is that relegation has been some sort of 'wake up' call and they've agreed to do it exactly how Mowbray wants, but I'm not holding my breath.

Its definitely a case of wait and see. I'm relieved that Mowbray is seemingly staying though its early days.

Like I've said before, with our size and status in League One and the money off the books this summer we should be able to go out and cherry pick some of the best players the division has to offer. These lads performing well at Fleetwood/Rochdale/Scunthorpe last season should be looked at and there's no real reason why we can't sign some of them if we want.

Exciting times :P Half tongue in cheek. To be honest if they want to come to the club and try and make a name for themselves in Rovers history, I would prefer them all day over a shower of @#/? like Danny Murphy and Leon Best. 

A ray of hope in a sea of gloom. The players (yes, I know there aren't many at the moment) will at least have a proper pre-season under a proper manager. It's just a pity that it seems Venkys are staying, for reasons which no-one can understand. Short of them putting the club up for sale, this is the best bit of news we have had for ages. Now looking forward to the new season.

The point being that those lads spent all last season in/around the Lge 1 play offs at vastly inferior clubs. There are players out there that know this level well and how to win at this level and are within reach to a club of this size/stature even if only limited funds are available.

Just now, JHRover said:

The point being that those lads spent all last season in/around the Lge 1 play offs at vastly inferior clubs. There are players out there that know this level well and how to win at this level and are within reach to a club of this size/stature even if only limited funds are available.

Well a player with some ambition should see us as a stepping stone into the championship. With Mowbray, that is achievable. 

'Whilst we were all disappointed with the end of last season I see it as an opportunity to now move the club in the right direction and grasp this opportunity whilst it is there for us'

Anyone else find this last bit odd? Maybe my paranoia is making me read too much into his comments but it seems like an odd thing to say at this stage. Almost as though there is an end date in sight and Mowbray is aware of it.

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well at least we are going into the summer with a manager which is one step forwards from last year but i just hope he has some players to coach by the time pre season starts.

Then going into the season with Coyle. Shudder!

Just now, JHRover said:
'Whilst we were all disappointed with the end of last season I see it as an opportunity to now move the club in the right direction and grasp this opportunity whilst it is there for us'

Anyone else find this last bit odd? Maybe my paranoia is making me read too much into his comments but it seems like an odd thing to say at this stage. Almost as though there is an end date in sight and Mowbray is aware of it.

He means with Jason Lowe out of the midfield 

This will interesting to see what do they mean by backing.

Does that mean they expect cheston  to apply to wonga for a loan to keep club running or will they give Mowbray a budget.

Look at Bolton last yr they hung onto the bulk of their squad and went straight back up. 

Realistically we will lose Mulgrew and darragh. I'd expect us to hold onto a lot if their words are true.

I wonder will Tm offer new contracts to any released players.

Did he meet with venkys themselves or just some pen pusher.

Time will tell.

.@Rovers head coach Tony Mowbray is planning for next season with the club. https://t.co/Mx83gRJPHA via @audioBoom

Sounds like he is get backed and money to spend. 

Not under pressure to sell anyone unless the bid is right for the club and him..

He will decisions if any players should leave. 

He says league 1 isnt a league for loads of kids but need experience players. 

Very pleased that Mowbray is staying.  Talks a huge amount of sense and I think offers us the chance to move forward.  Everything will depend on what backing he gets, but the fact that he has opted to stay suggests he feels confident that something will be made available.

I'm glad he's touched on the kids/experienced players bit this guy knows what he's talking about. I do think though that some string pullers and bean counters at Ewood very much have a team of kids in mind........

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

.@Rovers head coach Tony Mowbray is planning for next season with the club. https://t.co/Mx83gRJPHA via @audioBoom

Not under pressure to sell anyone unless the bid is right for the club and him..

This would tie in with the reports that the owners are going to stick it out and try to repair their reputation. Also with no FFP rules a relatively modest cash injection could see us be very competitive. All ifs and buts and time will tell I suppose. Cautious optimism for next season. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If correct then why the about turn?

Why was Coyle forced to sell our better players all last summer if Mowbray won't have to this summer?

How has Mowbray managed to do what Coyle could never do and get an audience, answers and promises from India?

Easy to say he's not under pressure to sell when there's no bids on the table. That can soon change.

He's right that League One isn't for loads of kids. Look what happened to Coventry when they tried the promoting academy lads route.

Something just doesn't sit right with me. If it is all true and comes about then fine, but why this sudden willingness to meet with, discuss and make promises with the manager when for the last 2 years and 3 managers haven't had anything of the sort?

Season tickets are on sale so positive spin will be the order of the day even if it's bull, which it most probably will turn out to be.

These lot have proven time and time again they are con jobs and no that isn't negativety its fact yet here we are again with the old 'oh they are finally going to do something '

Hilarious !

Archived