BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

19 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Great news, however the proof of the pudding etc.

Let's see what happens when TM asks for a few quid for transfers - or even player wages!

" Yes Tony, no Tony, certainly Tony, oh absolutely Tony"

"Great, right I must be off, my flight's in a couple of hours. Good to meet you. See you soon"

"Has he gone yet?" " Thank F for that. Can't believe we've fobbed off ANOTHER ONE that easy!" 

FTFY

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely. Entirely predictable responses on here really. If Mowbray had said he wasn't happy with the meeting and was  off then no doubt the majority of the Board would have been in their element saying it proved what utter ******* Venky's were etc etc.

However somewhat against expectations the opposite occurs, Mowbray apparently declares he is very satisfied with the way talks have gone and the only response is "Hmmph! They must be lying!" or "Hmmph Mowbray must be naive!".

On the face of it this is very good news and whilst it would indeed  be somewhat naive to assume the Rao's  will definitely back up their assurances im prepared to take Mowbray's apparent satisfaction at face value until proven orherwise.

The other thing that struck me from this development was that it is obviously possible to get hold of the owners if you're prepared to make the effort and are a man of honesty and integrity intent on fulfilling your contract as opposed to a mercenary only here for a few months intent on nothing other than boosting your Bank balance.

Whether or not the owners actually deliver on their assurances obviously remains to be seen. The Rao family/Venky's Hatcheries London Ltd. - its over to you.

Imagine Coyle going over. An idiot abroad season 10 

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely. Entirely predictable responses on here really. If Mowbray had said he wasn't happy with the meeting and was  off then no doubt the majority of the Board would have been in their element saying it proved what utter ******* Venky's were etc etc.

However somewhat against expectations the opposite occurs, Mowbray apparently declares he is very satisfied with the way talks have gone and the only response is "Hmmph! They must be lying!" or "Hmmph Mowbray must be naive!".

On the face of it this is very good news and whilst it would indeed  be somewhat naive to assume the Rao's  will definitely back up their assurances im prepared to take Mowbray's apparent satisfaction at face value until proven orherwise.

The other thing that struck me from this development was that it is obviously possible to get hold of the owners if you're prepared to make the effort and are a man of honesty and integrity intent on fulfilling your contract as opposed to a mercenary only here for a few months intent on nothing other than boosting your Bank balance.

Whether or not the owners actually deliver on their assurances obviously remains to be seen. The Rao family/Venky's Hatcheries London Ltd. - its over to you.

That's not the issue. Expecting people to fly out to India to try and get things done is no way to run anything never mind a successful football club ! As they've proved over the years.

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You clearly haven"t much belief in them yourself!

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Doug said:

I'm pleased ToMo has decided to stay, but can't get excited when taking everything else into consideration.

It's fine. Apparently we're giving Venky's a clean slate because... don't know. 

Just now, broadsword said:

Indeed. What a confused post.

Not really a confused post, quite the contrary in my opinion, RB has been correct in that if TM had gone because of no assurances the MB would have been full of i told you so, but because he says he is okay with the meeting hes an idiot or naive in believing the Rao's, i trust TM's judgement he is the only decent guy we have had in the last six years, and yes i wont hold my breath thinking the venkys will come good on their promises but hey the moon is made of cheese in it. 

Who knows that has been said to Mowbray? So far, I see him as a man of integrity and a manager who given the right backing will do well. His record at Rovers so far, is acceptable and given where we were when he arrived, was very unlucky not to keep us up. I fee confident that any future signings, will be for the benefit of the club and that isn't something that can be said about some, in our recent past.

Mowbray should have been told the reasons for the current visit from the two sets of accountants. Given that he had gone on record to say that he would only stay if he felt he would get the backing from the owners, I feel he is in with a chance. Money now needs to be made available, or if a takeover is on the horizon, hopefully this will be swift and decisive and Mowbray can prove to be the man to move us forward. I for one, do feel he is the right man.

Maybe this is a cynical view, but could it be that Mowbray knows he is in last chance saloon as far as his managerial career is concerned, will never get the chance to manage a club with the stature of Rovers again, and is staying on even though he knows the owners are not to be trusted and he faces a difficult task to turn the club around with a little or no money to spend?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Maybe this is a cynical view, but could it be that Mowbray knows he is in last chance saloon as far as his managerial career is concerned, will never get the chance to manage a club with the stature of Rovers again, and is staying on even though he knows the owners are not to be trusted and he faces a difficult task to turn the club around with a little or no money to spend?

He is already a millionaire and doing the above would damage his reputation badly. He is staying because he believes we can start moving back in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, broadsword said:

If RevidgeBlue is taking assurances from Venky's at face value, how is that any different from other people on here being very cynical about it?

Rev in let's give Venkys a chance shocker !

Predictable some might call it :lol:

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I honestly don't think he would have made the statement he did, if that was the case. He could have said nothing at all, made the trip and let others announce that he was staying. That way, he had nothing to lose if it did go wrong. He has a contract at the club for the whole of next season, so in my view, he said what he did and risked having to resign, if things hadn't gone the way he wanted. I have said already that I think he is a man of integrity and accept he is genuine.

Whatever Tony has been told doesn't change the fact that the club is a complete mess.

40 transfers needed this summer (20 in / 20 out), that would be difficult even with a proper exec structure and quick decision making - impossible at Rovers.

Not to mention the £10m funding gap BEFORE transfers.

I still think TM will walk before the end of Aug.

50 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Whatever Tony has been told doesn't change the fact that the club is a complete mess.

40 transfers needed this summer (20 in / 20 out), that would be difficult even with a proper exec structure and quick decision making - impossible at Rovers.

He walked at Coventry who are years behind our level of shambles

I'm glad he is staying but I don't think it is any sign that we will invest or progress.

Accept that we will lose at least 3 of our better players this summer and bring in a plethora of lower level players on freebies to make up the squad.

Anythin better than that and I will be amazed.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't fault anything he's said or done whilst he's been at Rovers. I'm prepared to give him more than the benefit of the doubt. It's the Chokers that are the added degree of difficulty.

Exactly. TM is not being doubted. The Raos are. RAO Family motto " Why tell the truth when a lie will do"

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

How so you work this out?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

How so you work this out?

It might not be quite that high but even if nobody leaves from here on in we're still going to be looking at up to 10 to have a squad worthy of the name. We need an entire new central midfield consisting of at least 3 to replace Akpan, Guthrie and Lowe, assuming Evans gets himself fit and stays (unlikely). Up front even if we manage to keep Graham the chances of him completing a full season in the 3rd division at his age with his fitness are slim. Either way we'll need 2-3 new forwards to replace Gallagher, Emnes and Joao. We've still got to pay off Anthony Stokes so that's another gap.

The only area that doesn't currently require major surgery is defence, however this is the area we are most likely to find out saleable assets that will tempt the money men to sell this summer - Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams. There's a couple of million quid there for someone to get their hands on - will they resist or succumb to temptation?

If Mowbray's optimism is based on real conversations with the real people that matter then hopefully we will be keeping hold of those lads, but even if we do, we're still looking at 10 in. Without them it could be 15.

Just now, JHRover said:

It might not be quite that high but even if nobody leaves from here on in we're still going to be looking at up to 10 to have a squad worthy of the name. We need an entire new central midfield consisting of at least 3 to replace Akpan, Guthrie and Lowe, assuming Evans gets himself fit and stays (unlikely). Up front even if we manage to keep Graham the chances of him completing a full season in the 3rd division at his age with his fitness are slim. Either way we'll need 2-3 new forwards to replace Gallagher, Emnes and Joao. We've still got to pay off Anthony Stokes so that's another gap.

The only area that doesn't currently require major surgery is defence, however this is the area we are most likely to find out saleable assets that will tempt the money men to sell this summer - Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams. There's a couple of million quid there for someone to get their hands on - will they resist or succumb to temptation?

If Mowbray's optimism is based on real conversations with the real people that matter then hopefully we will be keeping hold of those lads, but even if we do, we're still looking at 10 in. Without them it could be 15.

We currently have 15 players on our books who played for the first team last season. If anyone could share this list, it would be great.

So i would say we need 7 players at the moment. Not 10 and definitely not 20. 

3 midfielders, 3 forwards  and a goalkeeper will do it. 

We might even get away with less than that if some of the younger players step up.

Holding on to who we have under contract will give us a very solid foundation to build from.

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We currently have 15 players on our books who played for the first team last season. If anyone could share this list, it would be great.

Here you go...

Raya, Steele, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ward, Mulgrew, Wharton, Williams, Evans, Tomlinson, Bennett, Conway, Feeney, Graham, Stokes

Just now, bob fleming said:

Here you go...

Raya, Steele, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ward, Mulgrew, Wharton, Williams, Evans, Tomlinson, Bennett, Conway, Feeney, Graham, Stokes

There's a good chance nearly all that lot could be let go, sold, shipped out, paid off B)

Scary when you look at that list. Counting Tomlinson as a senior player is a push given his extremely limited appearances for the first team. Whilst hopefully he will develop into a regular its a bit early to be piling a promotion push onto his young shoulders. Same thing applies to Wharton who no doubt has potential but didn't exactly set the world alight at Cambridge last season. Then most of the others will have an eye or two on leaving for pastures new. I wouldn't be bothered if Steele left and Stokes providing we don't have to pay him to go, but other than that I'd like to keep the rest for next season, even though I imagine the wages will be substantial.

Archived