BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

...or eat his cock. 

How's tricks PV? You up for the Oxford game?

Either way. Although I suspect his words might choke him more than his Douglas.

You know what BB, I may just be able to swing that. I've told my other half I'm on a stag do that weekend. But it's shaping up to be fairly lame and I was planning to duck it. Could just keep that under my hat.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, patrickvalery said:

It's been too long Bob. To be honest I've barely got over the hangover from last time. I never understood the phrase southern softie until I drank with you! 

But I've still been following. Just avoiding these parts because I can do without the arguments. With a wife like mine the argument quota gets filled quickly.

If you're game we'll have another session next year?

Name the game bud. We’ll sort it. What you doing Saturday? That’s when we’ll go top. Wigan have gotten “a little ahead of themselves”. Well, when I say Wigan, I mean their manager. 

I know we’ve sold out, but they’ll be loads of room in the home ends. Should be in that big boozer at their place for 11.30. If not -next season. 

Just now, bob fleming said:

Name the game bud. We’ll sort it. What you doing Saturday? That’s when we’ll go top. Wigan have gotten “a little ahead of themselves”. Well, when I say Wigan, I mean their manager. 

I know we’ve sold out, but they’ll be loads of room in the home ends. Should be in that big boozer at their place for 11.30. If not -next season. 

Can't do this Saturday Bob as a mate of mine is getting married. Although it is the 3rd time! 

But if I can do Oxford I'll be in touch.

With any luck Southampton will be down next year and I can repay the favour down here as well.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16181436.Tony_Mowbray_on_his_relationship_with_the_Rovers_fans_after_promotion_is_secured/?ref=mac  

I think they want to see the team fight and tackle and chase and close down, win balls, play forward, create chances because Blackburn is like where I am from. I’m from Teesside and it’s an industrial area and they work hard for their money and that’s what they want to see from their football team.

“That’s what I’ve tried to bring to this group of players. I expect them to run and chase and the fans definitely do. If we can add the quality which we’ve got, then it can make the difference.

“We’ve got two games left, no pressure on us, we’ll try and enjoy and go and play.

“We’re quite proud of one defeat in 33 games so we’ll go there and try and keep it going.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16182112.ROVERS_PROMOTED__Boss_Tony_Mowbray_already_plotting_Championship_campaign/?ref=mac  

And he pointed to the successes of Sheffield United and Millwall in the Championship this season, after promotion 12 months earlier, as a potential benchmark for Rovers.

“It’s a big summer and a chance for me to go to India and see if we can get some help,” Mowbray said.

“There’s going to be a lot of clubs, I was working out that up to 12 could have parachute payments, including the three that are coming down and although it’s not a time to talk about budgets, it is for me because I want to compete like Sheffield United and Millwall have competed.

“Why can’t you use the momentum and camaraderie to punch above your weight next season.

“My thoughts instantly turn to recruitment, where we need to improve, what we do, but the players will enjoy it.

"My phone had 98 texts and that shows that people care. That's really special that people take the time to congratulate you."

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16182112.ROVERS_PROMOTED__Boss_Tony_Mowbray_already_plotting_Championship_campaign/?ref=mac  

And he pointed to the successes of Sheffield United and Millwall in the Championship this season, after promotion 12 months earlier, as a potential benchmark for Rovers.

“It’s a big summer and a chance for me to go to India and see if we can get some help,” Mowbray said.

“There’s going to be a lot of clubs, I was working out that up to 12 could have parachute payments, including the three that are coming down and although it’s not a time to talk about budgets, it is for me because I want to compete like Sheffield United and Millwall have competed.

“Why can’t you use the momentum and camaraderie to punch above your weight next season.

“My thoughts instantly turn to recruitment, where we need to improve, what we do, but the players will enjoy it.

"My phone had 98 texts and that shows that people care. That's really special that people take the time to congratulate you."

Tony Tony Tony, thank you for everything this season and let's go and take the Championship by storm. 

Pointing out that at least 12 teams will be receiving parachute payments is an interesting one. Gives a rough idea of what kind of budget we would need to compete with those clubs financially at least, I don't think a lot of them will have our team spirit or fight after what the lads achieved this season 

Mowbray is mentioning the parachute factor to keep expectations reasonable but more importantly to drop a few hints to the owners as to the level of funding likely to be required to compete, so hopefully they won't see it as job done and revert back to what they were doing before Mowbray came in. Also worth noting though that Brentford, Millwall, Preston and Bristol City don't get parachute money and it hasn't held them back in comparison to the Norwich, Hull, Sunderlands etc.

I'll hold my hands up, I've had my doubts and questioned Mowbray numerous times this season and for the first 3 months I was highly alarmed by our start to the season and performances. Since then we've shown unbelievable resilience and have been on an unbelievable run and he deserves the credit for that. Perhaps I was premature to question/doubt him, but since the nadir against Oldham we've delivered the results consistently.

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pointing out that at least 12 teams will be receiving parachute payments is an interesting one. Gives a rough idea of what kind of budget we would need to compete with those clubs financially at least, I don't think a lot of them will have our team spirit or fight after what the lads achieved this season 

I think he's more hinting at we need a budget a bit better than Sheff U and Millwall and we should do ok.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16182477.Tony_Mowbray_on_dealing_with_the_pressure_of_Rovers__promotion_favourites_tag/?ref=mac 

I could see that they were a good set of lads. We had one problem at this football club when I came in but we managed to eradicate it.

Sounds like Anthony Stokes to me 

Love how "eradicate" suggests Stokes, who it is for sure,  to be common vermin, which he is albeit  a boozing cock and arse showing version.

:rover:

Mowbray is the first manager under Venkys who will be able to jet off to India in a few weeks and be able to turn up at their mansion, sit down with them and say 'job done' and be able to throw it back to them - he told them what he needed, they provided it, he got the job done. Previously they've backed Kean and Bowyer in their own weird way but neither could turn around and say they delivered what was wanted. Kean a complete disaster and Bowyer steady but not enough to achieve promotion.

How Venkys will react to this new situation will be interesting. Their response to relegation from the Championship was to seemingly fall in love with Mowbray, give him a new contract and let him take control of the football operation with a relatively huge budget for this league. So their response to him succeeding and winning promotion will be interesting.

They could well just do more of the same and stump up a million or two to keep things going, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they got giddy with the success and decided to back him more heavily than that.

Fair play to him, I thought it was an uninspiring choice. He struck me a dull guy and I couldn't imagine him motivating modern young players.

How wrong can you be, what he has got out of this team is remarkable. Also every time he speaks I just want to get my boots on and play.

The guy is a good egg and a real top bloke. TMBWA!!!

13 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Fair play to him, I thought it was an uninspiring choice. He struck me a dull guy and I couldn't imagine him motivating modern young players.

How wrong can you be, what he has got out of this team is remarkable. Also every time he speaks I just want to get my boots on and play.

The guy is a good egg and a real top bloke. TMBWA!!!

Thing is, Mowbray is a down to earth football guy. Everyone, flashy footballer or plodder, will listen to a guy who talks football with honesty and a bit of knowledge. And I love listening to his voice as it reminds me of my dad and so many of the men I knew while growing up on Teesside. I'm so pleased he turned it around from the start of the season, as, although I'd have changed manager earlier in the season if necessary, I so wanted him, a Boro legend, to do well. 

On 26/04/2018 at 02:09, JHRover said:

Mowbray is the first manager under Venkys who will be able to jet off to India in a few weeks and be able to turn up at their mansion, sit down with them and say 'job done' and be able to throw it back to them - he told them what he needed, they provided it, he got the job done. Previously they've backed Kean and Bowyer in their own weird way but neither could turn around and say they delivered what was wanted. Kean a complete disaster and Bowyer steady but not enough to achieve promotion.

How Venkys will react to this new situation will be interesting. Their response to relegation from the Championship was to seemingly fall in love with Mowbray, give him a new contract and let him take control of the football operation with a relatively huge budget for this league. So their response to him succeeding and winning promotion will be interesting.

They could well just do more of the same and stump up a million or two to keep things going, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they got giddy with the success and decided to back him more heavily than that.

That killing hope!! :D

Tony Mowbray says he's aiming to use momentum to take Rovers into the Championship with absolutely nothing to fear.

Speaking afterwards, he said: “We’ve lost five games all season. The players should be very proud and we’ll be trying to make it one defeat in the last 35 games.

“We’ve clawed the points back and hopefully we can take momentum into next season.

“I love football. The better humans you have in the dressing room, it’s a real joy to come in and work at this football club. It’s too big a club to be in League One. 

“Everybody stuck together, dug in and showed quality and hard work," he added.

“We will be looking to compete - Sheffield United and Millwall have shown that this season. We want to use momentum to take us through into next season."

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/april/boss-i-love-this-club/

Momentum is everything. Sunderland have reverse momentum and that has carried them through to League One, Millwall have positive momentum and it has carried them into the League One play-offs, through the play-offs and now possibly into the Championship play-offs.

If we approach the Championship with the attitude that we can and should compete, that we have as much right as anyone else to do well, that money isn't the most important thing, then we can go far. If we approach the Championship solely aiming for survival and feeling as though we are not worthy of competing with the likes of Stoke and West Brom then we'll struggle. No fear.

• Backroom

Everything Mowbray is saying suggests he is ambitious and wants the owners to be of the same mindset. He's clearly not going to be satisfied plodding along in the Championship as previous managers were, and neither should he be. If the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield and Brighton can get into the PL then there's no reason we should accept any ambitions short of getting promoted. 

In reality I would accept survival next season purely because we are owned by Venky's and they have screwed us over every season except this one, but I don't want that to be the expectation at the club. We should always aim high and I'm glad that TM is of the same opinion. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

If the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield and Brighton can get into the PL then there's no reason we should accept any ambitions short of getting promoted. 

They benefitted from investment on a much larger scale than will be evidenced at Rovers this summer. Our example to follow should be Millwall. Or Bonleh the first time around.

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

They benefitted from investment on a much larger scale than will be evidenced at Rovers this summer. Our example to follow should be Millwall. Or Bonleh the first time around.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the potential for investment is there so we shouldn't expect any less. If Venky's choose not to allow that investment (which I fully anticipate) then that is simply evidence that their ambitions and Mowbray's ambitions don't match up and it probably won't end well for anybody.

He won't be asking for Lambert style investment but he should stamp his feet and say we need a couple of million investing into good younger players. Plenty examples to point too and stressing to them we don't want that money just wasting on wages of a couple of free transfer dollopers off certain agents client lists, a dozen or more examples of that !

If they truly have learnt anything they'll listen to him.

Just now, tomphil said:

He won't be asking for Lambert style investment but he should stamp his feet and say we need a couple of million investing into good younger players. Plenty examples to point too and stressing to them we don't want that money just wasting on wages of a couple of free transfer dollopers off certain agents client lists, a dozen or more examples of that !

If they truly have learnt anything they'll listen to him.

His trump card may well be Dack. He managed to get £750,000 out of them or however much it was and fast forward 1 year and a promotion and he's talking about a new contract and probably a valuation of 10x that should we sell him in the near future. If Madame can be persuaded to try and replicate that model with 3-4 more players even if only 1 pays off she's still going to turn a profit on it.

I know we're dealing with Venkys here and their plans for the club seem to change on a whim but last summer despite a potentially disastrous relegation they decided to stick with Mowbray and not only that but gave him improved terms and a longer contract whilst backing him in the market. Logic would suggest that having repaid that faith by delivering promotion, repairing the clubs reputation and taking a lot of negative attention away from India that they would look to 'reward' him by backing him once again this summer.

Archived