BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Just now, JHRover said:

If correct then why the about turn?

Why was Coyle forced to sell our better players all last summer if Mowbray won't have to this summer?

How has Mowbray managed to do what Coyle could never do and get an audience, answers and promises from India?

Easy to say he's not under pressure to sell when there's no bids on the table. That can soon change.

He's right that League One isn't for loads of kids. Look what happened to Coventry when they tried the promoting academy lads route.

Something just doesn't sit right with me. If it is all true and comes about then fine, but why this sudden willingness to meet with, discuss and make promises with the manager when for the last 2 years and 3 managers haven't had anything of the sort?

Maybe he just asked to meet them. He's comes across that he's a straight up person and felt the only way to try get what he wants was go to India and be straight up. Now we all know what the Venkies "backing" involves but as a manager new to the club who has his first window in the club ahead of him after a relegation maybe he felt that it was vital he spoke with the owners to find out what he has to play with. They will more than likely have fed him a load of sh*te but he would be the more direct type, where as slimey Coyle would duck n dive at any opportunity and probably looked for the scape goat the minute he walked in the door 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the interview, when he lists the players leaving he also said Danny Graham. Have I missed something? I expected many of the contracted players to leave but I didn't know this was official?

In terms of the news, its welcome but it's still words. Tony talked well again (as ever, can't help get behind him) on having the final say, keeping contracted core players, adding quality, a league of men not boys etc. but this is still just words. Proof is in the pudding.

His comments suggest strongly that he's no longer Head Coach - he's the manager.

He may have been given assurances about money being available - but the glacial pace of manager->cheston->suhail->india->owners->india->suhail->cheston->manager will kill us, again.

It's like groundhog day.

Just now, Biz said:

In the interview, when he lists the players leaving he also said Danny Graham. Have I missed something? I expected many of the contracted players to leave but I didn't know this was official?

In terms of the news, its welcome but it's still words. Tony talked well again (as ever, can't help get behind him) on having the final say, keeping contracted core players, adding quality, a league of men not boys etc. but this is still just words. Proof is in the pudding.

Yeah that Graham is only striker on the books

Did anybody expect the Raos to do anything else but say yes.

I'm minded of the feedback that came from those fans who travelled to Pune and got similar assurances.

Nothing has changed.

Big Rovers problem aside (i.e. Venkys selling to a buyer who gives a @#/?), the Little Rovers problem is that we need a competitive squad for the coming season.

Talk is cheap.

I don't even know why I'm still bothering. I must need a lobotomy or something.

It just promises more false hope and disappointment and agony.

I should really go and do something more productive with my time, like juggle volcanic rocks.

Mowbray should Google Paul Lambert, Blackburn Rovers.  I'm sure Lambert was given similar assurances.  Let's hope the Pune Pigeon Post dies not put the kabosh on the signings he wants.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Did anybody expect the Raos to do anything else but say yes.

I'm minded of the feedback that came from those fans who travelled to Pune and got similar assurances.

Nothing has changed.

Big Rovers problem aside (i.e. Venkys selling to a buyer who gives a @#/?), the Little Rovers problem is that we need a competitive squad for the coming season.

Talk is cheap.

With you there, first hand experience of hearing promises that never came to pass.

Fool me once......

Couldn't give a @#/? if Mowbray stays or not, with these people holding the keys there will never be anything but failure. 

Say we get promoted back to the championship...  So what? We were 8th in the prem FFS. 

I have thought about it and come to the conclusion that the only way they will sell the club is if we get promoted back to the premier league. It's purely a pride thing with them. Would tie in with their culture as well. 

They don't care what they put the fans though, now for them, it's about saving face and the only way they see that happening is by getting us back into the Premier league. 

Venkys World 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have thought about it and come to the conclusion that the only way they will sell the club is if we get promoted back to the premier league. It's purely a pride thing with them. Would tie in with their culture as well. 

They don't care what they put the fans though, now for them, it's about saving face and the only way they see that happening is by getting us back into the Premier league. 

Venkys World 

What with magic beans? Promotions cost money.

It's in the realms of fantasy anyway because it wont happen but no way would they sell the club if it got back to the Prem as they'd then just use it for what they wanted it for in the first place. Why walk away from a guaranteed 150 mill including parachutes again if we go down when some of it can fund your Euro expansion whilst you bask in the glory of getting back in the Prem. Their egos would be off the scale.

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

Yes, after 6 and a half years of horror, i'm not expecting everything to be rosy all of a sudden.

I think to them, promises are just words.

One thing the Venkys have proven is that they are honest and their word is gospel. It's up there with their decisiveness.

Venkys lie.

They have consistently lied about their intentions from day 1 of them having the club. They have consistently under-supported managers. They have consistently had structures in place that hinder the club.

What makes people think they have changed now?

Forget the Lambert experiment, after all he had the audacity to have standards, but even Owen Clueless who was happy with his non-existent budget couldn't get things approved by them. That alone tells me they have no intention of supporting or bettering Rovers no matter how low the cost or effort.

Just a few thoughts, Mowbray at least knows what it is like to try and compete in League 1 and if he has the say on who comes and who goes then that is a huge step forward.  Having seen a lot of League 1 football over the last couple of seasons I would say Rovers have some great advantages, notably the players available from the Academy and combine that with a backbone of experienced players and a few choice loanees there is no reason that they can't repeat what Bolton did.

Also Mowbray through his Coventry experience and that he's gained at Rovers he knows what it's like to try and achieve whilst working for some absolute dipsticks of owners.

We live in hope ..........

Archived