SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would say that they are 15 great league 1 players 

For most of those to play for BRFC next season venkys will need to put in nearly £10million. 

My expectation is that they won't commit the £10million in by August (make or break deadline), hence we'll need to get rid of 10 more players and bring in meet 20 from the cheap as chips category.

If you think they are going to put the £10m in, then fair enough.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham said after the Brentford game to some fans he was staying. Plus he and Mowbray have a good working relationship

The same Mowbray who railroaded him more than once for being late and unfit allegedly leading to the sulks which then lead to him being made to do extra training ???

5 hours ago, lraC said:

Keep him fit and Graham will be big in league one next season.

Yes ... earning a quarter of the clubs total income for the season. It's impossible that can happen unless Venkys fork out millions. 

I don't get how people think we can afford to keep these players.Mulgrew staying? Scottish international on probably 15 grand a week - no way . 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham said after the Brentford game to some fans he was staying. Plus he and Mowbray have a good working relationship

Oh my god. We'd just been relegated he wasn't going too turn round and tell our already heartbroken fans that he was jumping ship. Obviously he said he was staying. There's not a chance we can afford too keep him in league 1. Graham will not stay here for the wages we are going to be able to afford to pay next season.

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

It might not be quite that high but even if nobody leaves from here on in we're still going to be looking at up to 10 to have a squad worthy of the name. We need an entire new central midfield consisting of at least 3 to replace Akpan, Guthrie and Lowe, assuming Evans gets himself fit and stays (unlikely). Up front even if we manage to keep Graham the chances of him completing a full season in the 3rd division at his age with his fitness are slim. Either way we'll need 2-3 new forwards to replace Gallagher, Emnes and Joao. We've still got to pay off Anthony Stokes so that's another gap.

The only area that doesn't currently require major surgery is defence, however this is the area we are most likely to find out saleable assets that will tempt the money men to sell this summer - Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams. There's a couple of million quid there for someone to get their hands on - will they resist or succumb to temptation?

If Mowbray's optimism is based on real conversations with the real people that matter then hopefully we will be keeping hold of those lads, but even if we do, we're still looking at 10 in. Without them it could be 15.

An interesting observation and one that keeps re-occuring to me as this good news week progresses so quickly.

The speed with which Rovers released the result of the trip, the call with Radio Lancs and articles in the LT....all so impressively quick.

I just wish I'd seen some photos of TM with the Family members that he had those 3 meetings in India with. Maybe online if he does twitter or something.

He must have them. It's a rare event to meet the Raos so photos are collectors items so I would download a copy for my Rovers history collection.

I expect the Club to be as quick to tell us the 'Overview' results and owners decisions which may render their 'meeting' with TM redundant.

At least with Mulgrew and Graham other clubs will likely take them and we might even get a small fee for them. The big problem is Stokes. If he's on the contract he's reputed to be on and isn't able to play were going to have to pay him off. This would probably cost more than£1m.  Even if we manage to persuade Hibs to take him we'll still end up having to fork out something like this. Massive chunk of our income this.

35 minutes ago, McClarky said:

At least with Mulgrew and Graham other clubs will likely take them and we might even get a small fee for them. The big problem is Stokes. If he's on the contract he's reputed to be on and isn't able to play were going to have to pay him off. This would probably cost more than£1m.  Even if we manage to persuade Hibs to take him we'll still end up having to fork out something like this. Massive chunk of our income this.

Maybe we could keep him. Him and Graham would be some partnership for league 1 

I don't think many get it.

Mulgrew and Graham - yeah they would be excellent players to have in League 1 but the club simply cannot sustain their wages. I think it was stated somewhere that we would need the players to be on an average of between 2-4k per week for the club to operate within its own budget in League 1.

Now, unless the Venkyscum commit their own money into paying the wages themselves (which judging on the past many years is never going to happen), these two and many others will not be staying.

Glad that Mowbray is staying, as he did well to put is in a fighting position towards the end of the season. I like how he talks, and you can tell his passion for football, and to win is genuine. Under the circumstances, I don't think we could top him.

Just now, Blue Cabbage said:

It's great to listen to Mowbray he has the right ideas and talks perfect sense and it's hard not to be drawn in by him because it's so hard to argue against what he says, but at the end of the day will his "assurances" be full of hot air.

I would be devastated for him if Venkies don't follow through with any of their promises because TM has come in with such integrity and it's obvious to everyone he wants to do right by the club the fans and even the owners. We are use to been lied too but I would be gutted for him if he's still here at the end of August begging them to deliver on their "assurances" considering the integrity he's come in with.

Time will tell 

11 hours ago, TBTF said:

Yes ... earning a quarter of the clubs total income for the season. It's impossible that can happen unless Venkys fork out millions. 

I don't get how people think we can afford to keep these players.Mulgrew staying? Scottish international on probably 15 grand a week - no way . 

It is pretty obvious that we can't afford him on those wages. Of course there could be a relegation clause in his contract and his wages drop accordingly. If not and he decides he is staying, then there is no option, other than to pay his wages, or face the consequences.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I don't think many get it.

Mulgrew and Graham - yeah they would be excellent players to have in League 1 but the club simply cannot sustain their wages. I think it was stated somewhere that we would need the players to be on an average of between 2-4k per week for the club to operate within its own budget in League 1.

Now, unless the Venkyscum commit their own money into paying the wages themselves (which judging on the past many years is never going to happen), these two and many others will not be staying.

Sheff Utd were rumoured to be paying 20k to Billy Sharp 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Sheff Utd were rumoured to be paying 20k to Billy Sharp 

Sheffield United average attendance is 17k added to the fact the rest of their squad is probably on a relatively low wage and they arnt 100 million plus in debt.I'd love to see the likes of mulgrew and Graham stay but we can't afford their wages 

Just now, islander200 said:

Sheffield United average attendance is 17k added to the fact the rest of their squad is probably on a relatively low wage and they arnt 100 million plus in debt.I'd love to see the likes of mulgrew and Graham stay but we can't afford their wages 

We can afford his the wages if Venkys covered them. Mowbray has said he wants to keep most of this together..

• Moderation Lead
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We can afford his the wages if Venkys covered them. Mowbray has said he wants to keep most of this together..

I could afford to drive a Ferrari if someone else paid the fuel, road tax and insurance, oh and bought it for me....

Just now, JonnyP said:

If TM does by some miracle get funding and is able to bring some players in and manages to keep what we have, he will be under some pressure to get us back up.

We've gone season on season without investment and the time has passed for proper investment, as it should have happened before we dropped into Division 3. As Jack said in "The team that Jack built" , we couldn't  afford to drop down to another division as the fan base dwindles to far and you can't attract the players.

But here we are back to the 70's, no money and no hope as we won't get another Jack, instead we have the Jack Ass Venky's.?

Anything and everything that has been said by the Raos to TM has to be doubted until the findings of the financial review are known and acted upon by the owners.

They will not spend a single Rupee on players until at least then.

Prepare to be disappointed.

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Anything and everything that has been said by the Raos to TM has to be doubted until the findings of the financial review are known and acted upon by the owners.

They will not spend a single Rupee on players until at least then.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Most of us won't be disappointed because we expect nowt. The glass less than half full attitude is definitely better than the optimistic one. That way you do sometimes get really nice surprises

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

For goodness sake, Chaddy. We could afford a lot of things if Venkys covered them. These ***** have proven time and time again, they lie and deceive and still people are inclined to swallow their nonsense.

I'd love him to stay and rip up LGE 1, but lets not kid ourselves, the club will want his wages off the bill. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluded.

There was one such soul on twitter last night. I wont name him, but to paraphrase, he'd: " bought his season ticket and was really looking forwards to the season, now relegation had sunk in."

Archived