BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

When you have no money you have to be "smart" when working the market.  As you say, until Jack started pouring money into the club it was the only way to manage.  Burnley have shown that it can be done without the money that Jack provided for us and that is the route we are now going to have to take.  

Bring our own youth through it's the only way.....

Last season a young defender makes the breakthrough and looks like he might be useful.   So they refuse to give him a pay rise and farm him out on loan but replace him the the busted flush 8k pwk Wes Brown who in the handful of games he appears in directly contributes to flushing 2 of them down the toilet.

Exhibit B - Conner Mahonney - we know all about that one and how it will pan out.

C - Darragh Lenihen -  obvious to anyone the first decent bid he's a goner unless the lad digs his heels in and wants to stay.

Every last thing at the club under Venkys flawed so it's absolutely impossible to move anywhere but down imo. If TM proves to be decent as he may he'll have us treading water for a bit at best working under these lunatics before thd next downward turn.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am ok with TM able to build his own squad. Atleast he will NOT have any excuses if results go the wrong way. I think he should look at this as more of an opportunity to build a squad from scratch rather than negative. If he there or there abouts at the playoffs next season assuming all the good existing players have left this summer, it would be considered reasonably successful season.

Just now, punerover said:

I am ok with TM able to build his own squad. Atleast he will NOT have any excuses if results go the wrong way. I think he should look at this as more of an opportunity to build a squad from scratch rather than negative. If he there or there abouts at the playoffs next season assuming all the good existing players have left this summer, it would be considered reasonably successful season.

...and the lowering of expectation continues.....

1 hour ago, den said:

I didn't say you couldn't get out of the championship with no money Parson. I said a policy of selling your best players and losing your best managers isn't smart. It isn't a method that rovers have ever been successful with. It might be the only way a club can survive, but that doesn't make it a good plan. Especially when none of the money is reinvested into the playing squad.

Going back to the original point I made about Hunter.  I think you'd agree that keeping him with the team we had at the time would almost certainly have seen us relegated to the Fourth Division.  By selling him, raising money and using it wisely, Furphy built a team that survived in mid-table and provided a platform to rebuild so that promotion was achieved after four years of Third Division football.  If players are sold then the money, clearly, has to be reinvested or at least a sizeable proportion of it.  I must admit that I think our present situation, in terms of the quality of the squad, is closer to 70-71 rather than 79-80.  The team that Kendall inherited and got up at the first time of asking was certainly stronger than what we have now and even that required a post-Christmas record breaking run of results to achieve promotion.  Like Furphy, I believe Mowbray's first task is to stop the slide and then build a team capable of getting out of this Division.  Hopefully he can do it at the first time of asking but it's going to be difficult and without some financial backing I would think almost impossible. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well we can't qualify for the champions league, so what else should we expect next season?? 

Minimum top two finish should be the target. Read his post again, properly this time.

To be honest I think relegation to the 4th division is more likely than promotion next season.

If Venkys think the solution to our situation is to merely tell Mowbray to carry on and some promises about backing him with money then we're on a slippery slope. The club is knackered from top to bottom inside out. We've no board, no UK authority, no footballing expertise beyond a manager that left Coventry 8 months ago on their way to League Two. I'm not criticising Mowbray especially and I'm content/relieved that he has agreed to stay, but its throwing all our eggs into one basket again just hoping that he manages to pull some rabbits out of a hat on a shoestring budget and steer us to promotion when its a long time since he did anything of the sort as a manager.

In this day and age you need football nous running the club. Not just a nice man as manager, you need someone above him to work with him and make tough calls. What happens if we're in the bottom 4 in October? Is someone going to sack Mowbray? Who? We've got a buffoon called Mike Cheston and a shadow director called 'unknown'. Neither have any track record in this industry or sport yet presumably are going to be 'leading' this club next season.

As it stands we're going to struggle to fill a bench, let alone get promoted next season. I'm very cautious indeed about the summer ahead because all we've got at this point are some vague comments from Mowbray and 6 years of lies and treachery from these owners. If we keep what we've got and add another 10 decent players, whilst adding to the coaching staff and boardroom then I'll consider raising expectations from avoiding relegation to something higher.

Every other club has a squad, coaching staff and a board, so why do we think we can succeed without?

Just now, JHRover said:

To be honest I think relegation to the 4th division is more likely than promotion next season.

If Venkys think the solution to our situation is to merely tell Mowbray to carry on and some promises about backing him with money then we're on a slippery slope. The club is knackered from top to bottom inside out. We've no board, no UK authority, no footballing expertise beyond a manager that left Coventry 8 months ago on their way to League Two. I'm not criticising Mowbray especially and I'm content/relieved that he has agreed to stay, but its throwing all our eggs into one basket again just hoping that he manages to pull some rabbits out of a hat on a shoestring budget and steer us to promotion when its a long time since he did anything of the sort as a manager.

In this day and age you need football nous running the club. Not just a nice man as manager, you need someone above him to work with him and make tough calls. What happens if we're in the bottom 4 in October? Is someone going to sack Mowbray? Who? We've got a buffoon called Mike Cheston and a shadow director called 'unknown'. Neither have any track record in this industry or sport yet presumably are going to be 'leading' this club next season.

As it stands we're going to struggle to fill a bench, let alone get promoted next season. I'm very cautious indeed about the summer ahead because all we've got at this point are some vague comments from Mowbray and 6 years of lies and treachery from these owners. If we keep what we've got and add another 10 decent players, whilst adding to the coaching staff and boardroom then I'll consider raising expectations from avoiding relegation to something higher.

Every other club has a squad, coaching staff and a board, so why do we think we can succeed without?

If I could "like" this twice I would!

Absolutely this.

Every single piece of negativity in one post. 

I find it hilarious people saying we have no players. we have just released 7, who most people agree should have been released. The transfer window hasn't even opened. Calm people, calm. 

We don't have enough players. As I've analysed already this week we're down to 15, of which 2 are goalkeepers, 2 are kids with half a dozen appearances combined and 2 spent the entirety of last season injured/unavailable.

If you're comfortable with that situation then good for you, I'm not.

Yes we've got some time to rectify that, but it doesn't deter from the fact that we will need big numbers of PERMANENT signings to even have a squad, never mind one good enough to win every week in this league. Going off the evens of summers past there isn't a single reason to think that we are suddenly going to get the cheque book out and sign 4-5 minimum early doors to get in and settled. Why do you think this summer will be any different to the last 6 summers?

Just now, JHRover said:

We don't have enough players. As I've analysed already this week we're down to 15, of which 2 are goalkeepers, 2 are kids with half a dozen appearances combined and 2 spent the entirety of last season injured/unavailable.

If you're comfortable with that situation then good for you, I'm not.

Yes we've got some time to rectify that, but it doesn't deter from the fact that we will need big numbers of PERMANENT signings to even have a squad, never mind one good enough to win every week in this league. Going off the evens of summers past there isn't a single reason to think that we are suddenly going to get the cheque book out and sign 4-5 minimum early doors to get in and settled. Why do you think this summer will be any different to the last 6 summers?

No ,we don't have enough players, luckily the season doesn't start next week. I believe it will be different because the players we sign will be cheaper and we have freed up a lot of wages from out of contract players leaving. I don't see how we wont have a competitive squad in League 1 next season. 

Every single piece of negativity in one post. 

I find it hilarious people saying we have no players. we have just released 7, who most people agree should have been released. The transfer window hasn't even opened. Calm people, calm. 

Have you just woken up from a coma?

No, seriously??

Following your Champions League post you are on full wind up today. Go out and get some sunshine.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

This coming season Rovers should be aiming top 6 at worst, if Mowbray gets the players and signings he wants. 

Mowbray, we will be looking to make around 10 to 12 signings and let 2 or 3 players like Stokes, Feeney and Steele. 

He has been assurances he can make signings and permanent ones. I would imagine he has 3 players for each positions he wants filling. 

We wont be spending millions after millions but I expect a few cash buys, a couple of loans and few free transfers. 

Agree on the board and lack of one is concern. 

Just now, McClarky said:

Beginning to feel sorry for Mowbray. He seems like a proper football man but can't help feeling that come August he's going to be very disillusioned.  Probably a bit naive as well tbh.

Maybe he's come back with a bag load of high denomination Indian notes?

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am very awarewess of the money drop. Mowbray is a good guy and I have alot of believe in him. 

Its your frustration not mine. 

Where did I say it was anybody else's frustration bar mine?

What were your predictions for last season before a ball was kicked? Top 6 if we kept Hanley and Duffy. Mid table if we didn't I do believe.

Be as positive all you want Chadster. It doesn't stop the inevitable. If they aren't going to spend, they aren't going to spend.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

This coming season Rovers should be aiming top 6 at worst, if Mowbray gets the players and signings he wants. 

Mowbray, we will be looking to make around 10 to 12 signings and let 2 or 3 players like Stokes, Feeney and Steele. 

He has been assurances he can make signings and permanent ones. I would imagine he has 3 players for each positions he wants filling. 

We wont be spending millions after millions but I expect a few cash buys, a couple of loans and few free transfers. 

Living in the clouds, who is going to buy Feeney and Steele for a start?

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you seriously believe we'll get a budget the sunshine really has got to you chaddyrovers.. Delusional like the desert sun does 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's fine being a half glass full person Chaddy as I'm the same in life, but when it comes to Rovers you only have to look at the last 7 disasterious years to see your beliefs are neive to say the least. 

Archived