BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Sorry, but until the Venky vermin leave, there is only one direction. We are on the aggressive Coventry City diet and we're taking weird pills from 'some roid rage guy who knows someone you work with' in order to accelerate the process. Any thoughts that the Wanky's will do anything positive and really give Mowbray cash is bordering on delusional. 

It is like a partner in an abusive relationship hoping their husband or wife is going to be a happy drunk that night and not give them a black eye or worse. It is always terrible when they get home.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Going back to the original point I made about Hunter.  I think you'd agree that keeping him with the team we had at the time would almost certainly have seen us relegated to the Fourth Division.  By selling him, raising money and using it wisely, Furphy built a team that survived in mid-table and provided a platform to rebuild so that promotion was achieved after four years of Third Division football.  If players are sold then the money, clearly, has to be reinvested or at least a sizeable proportion of it.  I must admit that I think our present situation, in terms of the quality of the squad, is closer to 70-71 rather than 79-80.  The team that Kendall inherited and got up at the first time of asking was certainly stronger than what we have now and even that required a post-Christmas record breaking run of results to achieve promotion.  Like Furphy, I believe Mowbray's first task is to stop the slide and then build a team capable of getting out of this Division.  Hopefully he can do it at the first time of asking but it's going to be difficult and without some financial backing I would think almost impossible. 

A rare example though. Would you agree that failing to pay Pickering a reasonable salary when he was the hottest prospect in English football, and failure to adequately replace him, cost us far more than we got for him and saved in wages? We lost a probable Championship, we never recovered that impetus and were relegated 2 years later and never returned to the top league for 25 years, spending two periods in the third tier, seeing crowds dropping to 6000 in a creaking, rotting stadium.This, to some degree or other is the more usual outcome from a selling policy.

Whoops, its happening again!

57 minutes ago, 47er said:

A rare example though. Would you agree that failing to pay Pickering a reasonable salary when he was the hottest prospect in English football, and failure to adequately replace him, cost us far more than we got for him and saved in wages? We lost a probable Championship, we never recovered that impetus and were relegated 2 years later and never returned to the top league for 25 years, spending two periods in the third tier, seeing crowds dropping to 6000 in a creaking, rotting stadium.This, to some degree or other is the more usual outcome from a selling policy.

Whoops, its happening again!

No arguments about Fred.  I was devastated when he left and I would agree that most of our problems in the sixties, seventies and eighties could probably be traced back to that moment when the directors refused to meet his wage demands.  Hadn't he just come back from an England squad and realised just how little he was earning in comparison to others in the England squad and demanded the club increase he wage?   I just think that we are further down the road at this point - if you like getting rid of Big Sam, Nelsen and the rest was the equivalent of getting rid of Fred.  We are now at the point where Furphy (Mowbray today) inherited a squad in the Third Division that had one player (Hunter) who could fetch serious money that he needed to build a team around the likes of Jones, Faz, Parkes and Metcalfe.  To raise any serious money I would expect the likes of Steele, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham would need to be shown the exit door.

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

No arguments about Fred.  I was devastated when he left and I would agree that most of our problems in the sixties, seventies and eighties could probably be traced back to that moment when the directors refused to meet his wage demands.  Hadn't he just come back from an England squad and realised just how little he was earning in comparison to others in the England squad and demanded the club increase he wage?   I just think that we are further down the road at this point - if you like getting rid of Big Sam, Nelsen and the rest was the equivalent of getting rid of Fred.  We are now at the point where Furphy (Mowbray today) inherited a squad in the Third Division that had one player (Hunter) who could fetch serious money that he needed to build a team around the likes of Jones, Faz, Parkes and Metcalfe.  To raise any serious money I would expect the likes of Steele, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham would need to be shown the exit door.

Agree with everything in that post. However, I can see all those players leaving without the money being reinvested. sad times.

That's the flaw in Parson's argument, there's no guarantee any of the money we may receive will be spent on players. Indeed past experience says the money will vanish. I learnt my lesson with the sale of Rhodes to Boro. I was in favour of the sale as I fully expected Lambert to get the money to invest. Venkies made a mug of Lambert and they made a mug of me.

At least when we sold Fred we spent money trying to replace him, albeit unsuccessfully. The decision to sell Fred was the biggest blunder the club made in my life time until the decision to sell the club to the Chicken Chokers.

On his day he was up there with Shearer as a goalscorer and for me ability wise a better all round player. What he didn't have was Shearer's metal attitude, determination, will to win etc.

I saw both players many, many times in their prime but it's just my opinion guys.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the flaw in Parson's argument, there's no guarantee any of the money we may receive will be spent on players. Indeed post experience says the money will vanish. I learnt my lesson with the sale of Rhodes to Boro. I was in favour of the sale as I fully expected Lambert to get the money to invest. Venkies made a mug of Lambert and they made a mug of me.

At least when we sold Fred we spent money trying to replace him, albeit unsuccessfully. The decision to sell Fred was the biggest blunder the club made in my life time until the decision to sell the club to the Chicken Chokers.

On his day he was up there with Shearer as a goalscorer and for me ability wise a better all round player. What he didn't have was Shearer's metal attitude, determination, will to win etc.

I saw both players many, many times in their prime but it's just my opinion guys.

To be fair we all expected Rhodes money to come back and be invested I'm the summer as lambert expected the same 

Once March rolled around lambert conveniently could get them and then Pasha delivered what lambert feared that loans and freeswould be the order of the day 

That's the flaw in Parson's argument, there's no guarantee any of the money we may receive will be spent on players. Indeed post experience says the money will vanish. I learnt my lesson with the sale of Rhodes to Boro. I was in favour of the sale as I fully expected Lambert to get the money to invest. Venkies made a mug of Lambert and they made a mug of me.

Agree with everything you say.  The key is how much money Mowbray gets to spend. 

They used Lambert as a fall guy for the sale. As soon as he realised he'd been duped there was a discernible change in his attitude and he more or less just went through the motions unto the time came when he could walk away.

Actually he started moaning re the Raos early that January.

I agree but when the Rhodes money vanished It was the final straw and I think he made his mind up then that he was off in the summer.

The Rao pattern of taking the money was well established by the time Lambert was duped.

That's a main reason why it amazed me Lambert took the job and also why I do not expect them to honour any promises now made to TM.

I would love to be proven wrong.

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

If Mulgrew Graham etc are flogged there's no way venkys would invest it in the team as been proved time and time again 

On 2017-5-26 at 01:26, tomphil said:

I'm not sure bringing us back up is in tneir interests now to be honest as promotion means pay rises and bonuses just after theres been pay cuts, cost cuts and lesser paid players. The slight jump in income back inthe Champ would barely cover it so i think a few seasons down here costing nothing whilst possibly breeding a group of players to sell again albeit not for previous figures will suit them just fine.

I keep seeing this argument.

How much does a club get given by the Football League for being in the Championship?

How much does a club get given by the Football League for being in League One?

I don't know those figures. If someone else does, perhaps we can then gauge if the sentiment is true - which I very much doubt it is.

Just now, Phil T said:

How much does a club get given by the Football League for being in the Championship?

I don't know those figures. If someone else does, perhaps we can then gauge if the sentiment is true - which I very much doubt it is.

It's been quoted here and elsewhere (maybe LT) as £6m in the Championship and £1m in L1

Just now, Phil T said:

6 mil in Championship 1 mil L1........???

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

From their balance sheet point of view the difference in being in league 1 or the Champ is naff all lets not pretend the Championship is the land of milk and honey in income terms. Whatever savings they are now looking at making to finally bring the costs in line are wiped out with an instant return to the div above that's why i think a few years austerity will suit them.

In the absence of player sales they have to convert big blocks of share capital just to keep the lights on and service the debt they've created so i just cant see them sticking in an extra couple of million to add to that just to gain a few million extra income in the division above because as we are at the min it will cost even more in the long term and carry on the mess. Fair enough if it ws part of a long term structured investment plan to get back to the Prem buy hey that is way way beyond this lot.

If they could smash the wage bill and costs but somehow return instantly it would balance itself out and is probably the ideal scenario but again its way beyond their thinking and even if it was the way they'll put it into practice it will fail. Imo to them it's just a case of we've kept the lights on and the doors open so just get on with it and don't bother us.

Then of course as usual its over to the button pushing agents to get the player turnover going.

18 hours ago, Biz said:

Scary drop. Equates to 10x 10k players a week for a season or 20x 5k 

Well that's a good part of the wages budget gone for new signings nevermind those already contracted.

No need to worry, the Raos will fund it :wacko:

On 27 May 2017 at 18:23, roverstdt said:

I would be surprised if that is actually Balaji Rao Account. Especially due to the fact he is actually communicating with fans! 

Hopefully someone tells him he's a cock 

Archived