BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

I think some people are missing the point about earning the contract or not. To me it is about being able to set out a vision and selling that to players who are interested in our project. It shows our manager is around for the future and thst there is something he can say and build around. Whether that is put in practice with VENKYS is a. Complete other thing 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said it already but this new contract really just a 1 year increase as he already had a year to run.

I like to dream that TM went to Pune and told the Raos if you want me to stay and work for you tossers I want a contract extension, salary increase, money for players and you do it my f'ing way!

Anyway I'm happy enough he's staying and appears to have some level of control. That can only help in attracting players and getting out of the dung heap that is L1.

If we are not top 6 he will not last until Xmas. We know what the Raos are.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cant believe some people are moaning about Mowbray getting a new deal. Show commitment either way and say to the fans this is our guy and we trust him

Fans are behind him at Ewood. 

Plus point return of 22 points from 15 games was excellent with a decent squad

A lot of fans certainly aren't happy with him or  his tactics in the last few games Brentford apart relegated us 

So please tell me if you were in charge would you reward someone for that.. No you wouldn't end of 

Normally, you'd get rewarded with a new contract for performing well in your job over a good period of time.

I think Mowbray did do well in the time he had, it wasn't perfect but he came incredibly close to saving our bacon with some real dross in the side.

Perhaps his time here so far hasn't merited a new contract but it's probably more of a case where the club needs him more than he needs us, I'll stop short of saying It looks like Venkys have a plan (because they really won't have)

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cant believe some people are moaning about Mowbray getting a new deal. Show commitment either way and say to the fans this is our guy and we trust him

Fans are behind him at Ewood. 

Plus point return of 22 points from 15 games was excellent with a decent squad

He had 12 months to run on his contract so there was absolutely no need to offer him a new one yet. He failed in his objectives last year. The wise move would have been to see how he starts the season in League 1 and then taken it from there. If he does as badly next year as the last time he was in L1 then we are lumbered with a failure on a 2 year contract who needs to be paid off.

Getting 22 points from 15 games does not justify a two year contract and it isn't moaning to say so.

One advantage it brings is if and it's a monumentally huge if he's actually allowed to make a few potentially decent signings then it gives him a better platform to convince them to sign. I'm sure it's well documented even in the lower leagues that Venkys are a bunch of tossers who act on whims not plans so outwardly at least it portrays an attempt at some stability.

11 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Well we should have seen how it goes at the start of next season maybe till xmas before brandishing new contracts for him, he's achieved very little so far and i think he has a small share in our relegation personally.

Another reckless financial act to award a longer and probably more incentive or financially rewarding contract when he's not exactly flush with suitors. Set him a target, manage Mowbray and ask him to deliver a return by xmas. Motivation for a new contract, don't just give it him in my opinion. 

If he now has a stinking start and goes, we've just given ourselves a more expensive liability to pay off.

CHESTON strikes again.

Absolutely agree, another slice of how not to run a football club from Venky's.

Ironic that they have potentially wasted even more money, (in the event they sack Mowbray this season), whilst conducting a financial review of the club.

My guess is that Mrs Dessi took a shine to him in Pune. As you and others have said, only results and tangible success on the pitch actually merit this kind of reward.

We all hope Mowbray succeeds, but his recent CV is no basis for the ridiculously inflated amount of optimism which currently surrounds him.

Yes, he talks a good game but, as we know from bitter experience, that means nothing.

I wouldn't lay this decision at (cardboard) Mike Cheston's feet though, as it's clearly well above his station.

Yet again, this highlights the need for the appointment of a competent and functioning CEO.

Think we'd have all preferred him to come back from India with 2 million quid to spend instead of Mark Venus & a new contract. He claims he had 3 meetings after all so we've maybe seen what the first two were about so here's hoping the third was spending money to along with his other 2 gifts :unsure:

Just now, tomphil said:

Think we'd have all preferred him to come back from India with 2 million quid to spend instead of Mark Venus & a new contract. He claims he had 3 meetings after all so we've maybe seen what the first two were about so here's hoping the third was spending money to along with his other 2 gifts :unsure:

When did coyle make his first signing date wise? How many payers were left when he took over? I sense it's all bit too familiar.

as for stability how many loanees did we have last year? One fee of 200k spent in 3 years and you think players will come because Mowbray got an extra year? It doesn't reflect reality at all and what has happened transfer wise over the last couple of years.

Did he meet the owners I've heard no quotes, no pictures it's all a bit very odd.

3 minutes ago, LeftPeg said:

Distraction

Delusional 

Deja Vu

Destruction 

I'm a bit worried he's been roped into the whole Venkys being unlucky owners persona.

Full of sound bites PR wise this summer and TM well and truly conducting the LET with some corkers.

Need action to avoid a repeat of last summer and season start. Can't expect five or more players to gel when a ball gets kicked, that's what pre season is for and summer training camps.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

It only brings stability if he performs well. If he doesn't he'll be sacked.

Have to disagree with you on this being an issue, I think that the contract is more of a gesture of support - since it's signed off from the owners.

Obviously, that does mean more of a pay off he he completely cocks up but I think Tony is more likely to resign without a pay off, which is what happened at Cov in the end (from memory).

I much prefer the manager/head coach to have backing from above to get  contract and assistant, but the key support will be rebuffing approaches for players and allowing a budget! 

As for last season, it's a bit unfair to suggest he "failed". It's not quite as simple as that. Over 46 games with TM's results, we would be much safer. That also doesn't take into account that we are yet to even see a signing from him! Who said that, "judge us after a few transfer windows" :) 

Just now, Biz said:

Have to disagree with you on this being an issue, I think that the contract is more of a gesture of support - since it's signed off from the owners.

Obviously, that does mean more of a pay off he he completely cocks up but I think Tony is more likely to resign without a pay off, which is what happened at Cov in the end (from memory).

I much prefer the manager/head coach to have backing from above to get  contract and assistant, but the key support will be rebuffing approaches for players and allowing a budget! 

As for last season, it's a bit unfair to suggest he "failed". It's not quite as simple as that. Over 46 games with TM's results, we would be much safer. That also doesn't take into account that we are yet to even see a signing from him! Who said that, "judge us after a few transfer windows" :) 

Agree with that - although Mowbray still could, and possibly should, have saved us.

The issue right now is that Rovers must succeed next season. We have just fallen off a cliff and are hanging by a Venkys-logo'd rope. This means that Mowbray must succeed. His first 10 games need to see us in the top 3.

Giving him a contract now shows forward planning but raises expectations and hope for fans. Mowbray is seen as an honest bloke and to sign an extention he must have had some kind of assurances about budget and control. I'm sure they will gladly give him all of the responsibility but whether they will back him remains to be seen.

I really wonder what prompted the contract extension at this moment in time.

I'm wondering if Mowbray has come across as an agreeable 'Yes Man' to the Raos and they see him as a good shield from criticism as most fans seem to quite like him. His willingness to travel to India and accept the proposed budget may have earned him some brownie points.

I like Mowbray as he seems a genuine chap and I'm sure he wants success for the club/fans etc rather than for any personal glory. He is a 'football man'.

However, I'm not convinced he has what it takes in our situation. His results last season were enhanced by Villa and Brentford who were not exactly busting a gut in those last two games. Other than that we had 3 unconvincing wins in 13 games and some awful performances in a number of games.

I don't mean to be too negative - Give me Mowbray over Coyle, obviously, but I'm worried that Venkys are still making decisions based entirely on their own whims, not on considered football reasoning. Didn't Kean get a random contract extension after a visit to Pune ?

It may turn out to be a good move for Rovers, I really hope so, but nothing ever makes sense with Venkys. Why commit this extra money when they don't need to and have no budget for players?  I can't fathom it, unless it's the 'Yes man' theory.

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I really wonder what prompted the contract extension at this moment in time.

I'm wondering if Mowbray has come across as an agreeable 'Yes Man' to the Raos and they see him as a good shield from criticism as most fans seem to quite like him. His willingness to travel to India and accept the proposed budget may have earned him some brownie points.

I like Mowbray as he seems a genuine chap and I'm sure he wants success for the club/fans etc rather than for any personal glory. He is a 'football man'.

However, I'm not convinced he has what it takes in our situation. His results last season were enhanced by Villa and Brentford who were not exactly busting a gut in those last two games. Other than that we had 3 unconvincing wins in 13 games and some awful performances in a number of games.

I don't mean to be too negative - Give me Mowbray over Coyle, obviously, but I'm worried that Venkys are still making decisions based entirely on their own whims, not on considered football reasoning. Didn't Kean get a random contract extension after a visit to Pune ?

It may turn out to be a good move for Rovers, I really hope so, but nothing ever makes sense with Venkys. Why commit this extra money when they don't need to and have no budget for players?  I can't fathom it, unless it's the 'Yes man' theory.

Mate I can see exactly were your coming from, so can quite a few. 

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Hmm ..the slating of Mowbray seems a lil overboard.

Horses for courses ? ..we are a League One club now ..?

No ones slating him it's just he hasn't done anything of note to warrant an extended and probably more lucrative contract.

might be in league one but we are not an L1 club. We are not Rochdale playing at spot land or bury at the gigg.

have some standards mate.

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Hmm ..the slating of Mowbray seems a lil overboard.

Horses for courses ? ..we are a League One club now ..?

I don't think anyone is slating him. More a case of evaluating the decision to award him an extended contract based on an honourable but failed attempt to stay up, and a visit to our esteemed owners in Pune.

And im quite sure Sheff Utd and the like thought the same when dropping into this league ..but unfortunately this is the "standard" we are now at mate ..?

Sooner we get to grips at what standard we have actually fallen too ..the sooner we may make little strides to rise above  ?

Again horses for courses ,no worldy manager going to be beating down our door in the current predicament that we find ourselves in ..(unfortunately!) 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

No ones slating him it's just he hasn't done anything of note to warrant an extended and probably more lucrative contract.

might be in league one but we are not an L1 club. We are not Rochdale playing at spot land or bury at the gigg.

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

that's your opinion and other people disagree with you and are happy with this news and shows he is committed to the club and the future.

I also like this parts of his comments

"to give the team an identity and a philosophy – a way of playing – that people want to come and be a part of."

"It takes a bit of time to build all that, but you have to start the process somewhere and I’m looking forward to try and make Blackburn Rovers a team that people talk about for playing good football, scoring goals, winning games and the supporters want to come and support the team because of what's happening on the grass.”

“I'm looking forward to the opportunity of trying to build a team that the fans can be proud of and enjoy and hopefully we can win plenty of games. The only target is to try and bounce back at the first opportunity.”

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

that's your opinion and other people disagree with you and are happy with this news and shows he is committed to the club and the future.

"to give the team an identity and a philosophy – a way of playing – that people want to come and be a part of."

"It takes a bit of time to build all that, but you have to start the process somewhere and I’m looking forward to try and make Blackburn Rovers a team that people talk about for playing good football, scoring goals, winning games and the supporters want to come and support the team because of what's happening on the grass.”

“I'm looking forward to the opportunity of trying to build a team that the fans can be proud of and enjoy and hopefully we can win plenty of games. The only target is to try and bounce back at the first opportunity.”

Aye but your underlining the difference between form and plain naivety 

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Which is all fine, but it's simply a manager talking a good game. He probably said the the same kind of thing at Coventry.

We heard similar from Lambert when he thought money would be made available.

Everyone hopes Mowbray succeeds but, bearing in mind his record at Coventry, doubts about funding, and the continuing lack of a functioning CEO at the club, the chances are slim.

1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

contact extension is just to give him some credibility in the market 

nothing more

words words words

"I got 350 million in my pocket"

only matters what happens "on the grass"

Easy to get confused, Balaji likes Grass but in a hotel room.

Archived