BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2017 at 00:28, chaddyrovers said:

Cant believe some people are moaning about Mowbray getting a new deal. Show commitment either way and say to the fans this is our guy and we trust him

Fans are behind him at Ewood. 

Plus point return of 22 points from 15 games was excellent with a decent squad

I love tony mowbray as a man. I like what he attempted to do last season and thought he was unlucky to not pull off the great escape and he has my full backing going into this season. However I don't think offering him another contract before a ball is kicked was necessary at this point. That's not moaning about him getting a contract. It's being sensible with our already extremely delicate finances. If we have a terrible start and are bottom of league 1 at Xmas or he has another wardrobe malfunction and puts another claret tie on then it's costs more to get rid when completly unnecessary. He has my full backing but personality can only carry you so far in this game. Coyle could talk the talk with the best of them until a ball was kicked

I suspect that when Mowbray was brought into the club in February it was done as a short term cheap arrangement. He came in for 15 games to see if he could keep us up, probably on low wages, with no staff coming with him. It was announced as an 18 month deal but I suspect it was really a deal until the end of the season with an option for either party to sever ties if they weren't happy with the arrangement.

Unfortunately for Mowbray after what happened at Coventry and then failing (despite an impressive effort) to keep us up, means that his stock is at an all time low and had he left Rovers post relegation he'd have been looking at the Rotherhams and Scunthorpes of this world for his next job. He knows that for the time being at least managing Rovers with a possibility of promotion next season is the best he's going to get. So he was always likely to prefer to stay here as long as he heard what he wanted to hear from the owners.

Venkys were always likely to want him to stay. Pasha has probably told them after the Coyle farce that this guy is actually quite popular with the fans and that retaining him rather than rolling the dice on another crackpot appointment is easier for them and will keep a few more fans on side for the time being. They have probably given him a longer deal just to make the arrangement more permanent after the original trial period.

As I've said repeatedly, I like Mowbray and think he is honest and a good man and deserves a crack at next season. However I don't trust the owners and its going to take more than a few Mowbray positive comments in the Telegraph to convince me that they have changed their ways. Lets remember that both Kean and Bowyer had good relationships with the owners and praised them in the press yet both found out the hard way in the end. Meanwhile Lambert, Coyle, Berg and Appleton didn't even get to first base of seeing them directly. Mowbray has probably heard good things and with a contract extension on the table is quite happy to hang around and see what happens, safe in the knowledge that he can't really lose from here on. Nobody will really blame him if things go sour next season and if he gets fired will have his 2 years pay off to collect.

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I suspect that when Mowbray was brought into the club in February it was done as a short term cheap arrangement. He came in for 15 games to see if he could keep us up, probably on low wages, with no staff coming with him. It was announced as an 18 month deal but I suspect it was really a deal until the end of the season with an option for either party to sever ties if they weren't happy with the arrangement.

Unfortunately for Mowbray after what happened at Coventry and then failing (despite an impressive effort) to keep us up, means that his stock is at an all time low and had he left Rovers post relegation he'd have been looking at the Rotherhams and Scunthorpes of this world for his next job. He knows that for the time being at least managing Rovers with a possibility of promotion next season is the best he's going to get. So he was always likely to prefer to stay here as long as he heard what he wanted to hear from the owners.

Venkys were always likely to want him to stay. Pasha has probably told them after the Coyle farce that this guy is actually quite popular with the fans and that retaining him rather than rolling the dice on another crackpot appointment is easier for them and will keep a few more fans on side for the time being. They have probably given him a longer deal just to make the arrangement more permanent after the original trial period.

As I've said repeatedly, I like Mowbray and think he is honest and a good man and deserves a crack at next season. However I don't trust the owners and its going to take more than a few Mowbray positive comments in the Telegraph to convince me that they have changed their ways. Lets remember that both Kean and Bowyer had good relationships with the owners and praised them in the press yet both found out the hard way in the end. Meanwhile Lambert, Coyle, Berg and Appleton didn't even get to first base of seeing them directly. Mowbray has probably heard good things and with a contract extension on the table is quite happy to hang around and see what happens, safe in the knowledge that he can't really lose from here on. Nobody will really blame him if things go sour next season and if he gets fired will have his 2 years pay off to collect.

Spot on JHR, as usual.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Interesting stuff here. Quite sad at times.

Turns out Mowbray was a goal scoring midfield playmaker turned CB. Hence his desire to play the game properly.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/Mowbray%2C+Tony+-+Articles+(Misc)

Interesting read indeed. Never knew about his first wife, can't but help feel for the man. Sad to read through how his Celtic reign ended, he did bring Keane up there if I read it right. The man oozes class, with everything that is happening around our club I'm personally glad he is here.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Interesting stuff here. Quite sad at times.

Turns out Mowbray was a goal scoring midfield playmaker turned CB. Hence his desire to play the game properly.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/Mowbray%2C+Tony+-+Articles+(Misc)

Certainly talking it up for next season, he must be confident because the football played under him and maybe understandably was very poor at the end of last season.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Certainly talking it up for next season, he must be confident because the football played under him and maybe understandably was very poor at the end of last season.

And still would have us top 10 over a full season with his point average.

Yes he did make some mistakes but would take him.over coyle any day of the week

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

And still would have us top 10 over a full season with his point average.

Yes he did make some mistakes but would take him.over coyle any day of the week

Your looking at a set of results in isolation which isn't really a good true reflection especially when his ratio is boosted by villa and Brentford teams whom hardly broke a sweat and certainly were not "competitive" as they normally would be through a season say.

id rather have a dead duck or shebby managing than coyle. Mowbray needs to be looking at what happened to stunt the Gallagher Graham and general goal scoring. 

It was painful to watch but understandable last season under TM. Big things expected now.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Your looking at a set of results in isolation which isn't really a good true reflection especially when his ratio is boosted by villa and Brentford teams whom hardly broke a sweat and certainly were not "competitive" as they normally would be through a season say.

id rather have a dead duck or shebby managing than coyle. Mowbray needs to be looking at what happened to stunt the Gallagher Graham and general goal scoring. 

It was painful to watch but understandable last season under TM. Big things expected now.

22 points were achieved. the facts are the facts.

Mowbray were more defensive to stop us conceded far too many goals.

I would take a boring 1 nil win every game if it means promote this season. I would like to see us play attacking passing style and be entertaining but results are vital and that's how you achieved promotion

22 points were achieved. the facts are the facts.

Mowbray were more defensive to stop us conceded far too many goals.

I would take a boring 1 nil win every game if it means promote this season. I would like to see us play attacking passing style and be entertaining but results are vital and that's how you achieved promotion

Facts are facts usually. Like the one where he was in the dug out and saw us go down.

but 22 points means nothing in isolation,it's the same argument thesis as then saying Steve Kean would have got us promoted when he was sacked as we won X many amount of games and he was sacked with us second or third. over 46 games he'd have got y using a sample so therefore we'd have been promoted.

is that not the same logic your using?!!!

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Facts are facts usually. Like the one where he was in the dug out and saw us go down.

but 22 points means nothing in isolation,it's the same argument thesis as then saying Steve Kean would have got us promoted when he was sacked as we won X many amount of games and he was sacked with us second or third. over 46 games he'd have got y using a sample so therefore we'd have been promoted.

is that not the same logic your using?!!!

Are you playing devils advocate here or what.??  It was obvious to all that on all bases including being a nice person, Mowbray is much more suited to us. I'm hopeful because this guy seems genuine and his football history is solid and competent.  Hoping he has a few contacts here and there to help.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Are you playing devils advocate here or what.??  It was obvious to all that on all bases including being a nice person, Mowbray is much more suited to us. I'm hopeful because this guy seems genuine and his football history is solid and competent.  Hoping he has a few contacts here and there to help.

No I like Mowbray I do genuinely think he's a real footballing guy through and through from the couple of times I've spoken to him and heard him speak.

Do I think he deserved a new contract? No not at all. He hasn't  done anything as of yet to substantiate one.

Do I think instead of sound bites that he should be a bit quieter and get on with managing Rovers, yes I do, promising attractive football, signings and all sorts is great but six weeks down the line for relegation confirmation and we've a pre season based in the North West of Enfland and an appointment of a long term pal Venus. I'm expectant of a little more progress tbh.

Do I think he will be a success next year? Not sure 50/50, but I hope he is.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

No I like Mowbray I do genuinely think he's a real footballing guy through and through from the couple of times I've spoken to him and heard him speak.

Do I think he deserved a new contract? No not at all. He hasn't  done anything as of yet to substantiate one.

Do I think instead of sound bites that he should be a bit quieter and get on with managing Rovers, yes I do, promising attractive football, signings and all sorts is great but six weeks down the line for relegation confirmation and we've a pre season based in the North West of Enfland and an appointment of a long term pal Venus. I'm expectant of a little more progress tbh.

Do I think he will be a success next year? Not sure 50/50, but I hope he is.

Firstly, Mowbray is a proper footballing guy and nothing like Kean at all. I enjoyed listening to him speak.

On the contract? he got a new one and its done and dusted. Shows the owners are committed to him

Pre season? Yes we have 5 games but I would imagine that Mowbray and his staff will be working very hard on the training field on fitness and formation/style of play. Making sure that the players we sign fit the formation and style is important. I have say that the players must fit the tactics.

on Transfers? Mowbray has been on holiday for the past 2 weeks and only just come back on Friday. Working hard on transfer signings according to the LT reporter Alex James. Its only June. Lets judge who we see sign in the next few weeks

Firstly, Mowbray is a proper footballing guy and nothing like Kean at all. I enjoyed listening to him speak.

On the contract? he got a new one and its done and dusted. Shows the owners are committed to him

Pre season? Yes we have 5 games but I would imagine that Mowbray and his staff will be working very hard on the training field on fitness and formation/style of play. Making sure that the players we sign fit the formation and style is important. I have say that the players must fit the tactics.

on Transfers? Mowbray has been on holiday for the past 2 weeks and only just come back on Friday. Working hard on transfer signings according to the LT reporter Alex James. Its only June. Lets judge who we see sign in the next few weeks

Going back to your 22 points post do you concede that it's just like using an analogy for Kean and promotion? 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Going back to your 22 points post do you concede that it's just like using an analogy for Kean and promotion? 

No I don't. two completely different situations and players.

I don't know how anybody could be compare to that person in anything after the amount of things he did at this club.

No I don't. two completely different situations and players.

I don't know how anybody could be compare to that person in anything after the amount of things he did at this club.

But it's the same analogy as you were using with TM was it not? 

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I think it's easier to make the case for extrapolating form over a season from 22 games than the 6 or so Kean had in 2012/13.

Mowbray had 13/14 league games came in on 31/32 games played, funnily enough burton were only 2 points above us then.

Kean was gone after 7 games following a 2-1 defeat at Boro.

Its exactly the same scenario using a small sample of results to judge a season. 

Archived