BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I get that, but there is no guarantee our first 11 will win, and if they don't, it will be more detrimental to the confidence of both fans and players than if our weakened team got beat. Besides, do you think the team that I posted earlier: 

Leutweiler

Caddis Ward Williams Doyle

Feeney Evans Tomlinson Chapman

Gladwin

Samuel

Is that much weaker than our strongest 11 (bearing in mind that Dack and Lenihan are injured).

Mulgrew in for Ward (as captain) and I'd like to see that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Ideally I would agree but I think he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool to keep him fit.

Definitely this. Mulgrew is a great player, especially at this level. The cup games are important, but nowhere near the same as the league. Most teams aiming for promotion will rest their "star" men tonight (us included), because they will be needed more on Saturday, than tonight. 

14 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Does anyone else find this comment negative?

Hmm... Come to think of it, I much prefer the priceless positivity bullsh*t fed to us out of a book on "modern management" and "keeping the punters happy" by Steve Kean, Owen Coyle, et. al.

9 hours ago, Phil T said:

Hmm... Come to think of it, I much prefer the priceless positivity bullsh*t fed to us out of a book on "modern management" and "keeping the punters happy" by Steve Kean, Owen Coyle, et. al.

Well I definitely wasn't saying it was as bad as the garbage they spouted! 

Saying that we wont play in a Wembley final, yes realistic. It hurts when our manager say it though :) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well I definitely wasn't saying it was as bad as the garbage they spouted! 

Saying that we wont play in a Wembley final, yes realistic. It hurts when our manager say it though :) 

Perhaps a poor choice of words when the play off final is in Wembley, should we not get automatic promotion of course. Not as bad some of the nonsense spouted by the past bunch though.

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Perhaps a poor choice of words when the play off final is in Wembley, should we not get automatic promotion of course. Not as bad some of the nonsense spouted by the past bunch though.

100%. I like Mowbray and respect what he is trying to do. Some of the past plonkers don't have an iota of his integrity, work ethic or honesty. Now he just needs to settle on a formation and our best 11 :) 

• Backroom

The thing is, I really wouldn't have cared what any of our past managers (excluding Kean) said as long as we were successful on the pitch. They could spout the most delusional nonsense imaginable (and Coyle often did) but as long as we were winning matches it wouldn't matter. It's no different with Mowbray. All I want is for our talking to be done on the pitch. As long as the team looks good and competitive the manager can espouse whatever platitudes he desires and it won't concern me. It goes without saying that the opposite is true if we're failing to compete or get results. Life is.

If we win on Saturday Mowbray can come out to the post match press conference shirtless on a unicycle singing "I'm too sexy" and I'll let it pass. 

I agree with bds that whilst Mowbray was maybe being realistic, it was probably unnecessary to once again pour cold water on our prospects before a ball was kicked.

As it turned out after Saturday's debacle, I think it was actually fairly vital to get a positive result last night and start to build confidence and momentum and not start the season with 2 negative results. Fair play to TM and the players, we achieved that.

Also like RV's point that unless we see compelling evidence to the contrary you wouldn't have thought the "back up eleven" would be significantly inferior to the 'first eleven". Hopefully this will serve us well over the demands of a 46 game season and give us an edge over most sides in League 1.

34 minutes ago, DE. said:

The thing is, I really wouldn't have cared what any of our past managers (excluding Kean) said as long as we were successful on the pitch. They could spout the most delusional nonsense imaginable (and Coyle often did) but as long as we were winning matches it wouldn't matter. It's no different with Mowbray. All I want is for our talking to be done on the pitch. As long as the team looks good and competitive the manager can espouse whatever platitudes he desires and it won't concern me. It goes without saying that the opposite is true if we're failing to compete or get results. Life is.

If we win on Saturday Mowbray can come out to the post match press conference shirtless on a unicycle singing "I'm too sexy" and I'll let it pass. 

Is there anyway that this can be made compulsory? 

37 minutes ago, DE. said:

I appreciate that you said that you would let it pass but for many others, I doubt it.

"Who does Mowbray think he is? Shirtless on a unicycle singing "I'm too bloody sexy" - it was only Doncaster! It goes to show how far we've fallen over the last seven years when our manager feels the need to ride around with no shirt on a one wheeled push iron singing that crap in a post match presser. Come back in April when you've earned the right Mowbray, that's what I say. I don't remember Dalglish or Souness owning a unicycle, nor them singing any Right Said Fred songs and that was after they'd won silverware, let alone scrapped a 2-1 win over bloody Donny. In fact the more I think about it this shouldn't be happening at all. If we get promoted, highly unlikely given the events of the last seven years, then I fully expect Mowbray to thrash himself within an inch of his life with a branch then check into a monastery for the remainder of the summer to have a harsh word with himself about how far we've fallen. "I'm too sexy" my arse."

29 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

I appreciate that you said that you would let it pass but for many others, I doubt it.

"Who does Mowbray think he is? Shirtless on a unicycle singing "I'm too bloody sexy" - it was only Doncaster! It goes to show how far we've fallen over the last seven years when our manager feels the need to ride around with no shirt on a one wheeled push iron singing that crap in a post match presser. Come back in April when you've earned the right Mowbray, that's what I say. I don't remember Dalglish or Souness owning a unicycle, nor them singing any Right Said Fred songs and that was after they'd won silverware, let alone scrapped a 2-1 win over bloody Donny. In fact the more I think about it this shouldn't be happening at all. If we get promoted, highly unlikely given the events of the last seven years, then I fully expect Mowbray to thrash himself within an inch of his life with a branch then check into a monastery for the remainder of the summer to have a harsh word with himself about how far we've fallen. "I'm too sexy" my arse."

Who is the unicycles agent? 

Just now, bob fleming said:

No need for Mowbray to self flagelllate bob. That's the job of everyone on here in the close season.

You might also say that about Dalglish and Souness but who knows what goes on in the privacy of their own homes once the bedroom door shuts. You might imagine King Kenny is a bit too sensible these days but you could imagine Souey donning his 80's style bubble perm wig and bushy false moustache and getting properly into the spirit of things.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

but you could imagine Souey donning his 80's style bubble perm wig and bushy false moustache and getting properly into the spirit of things.

No, no RB. You could imagine but I certainly wouldn't want to!

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Someone said it yesterday but the LET rehashing stuff does no favours. Twice this week Mowbray has come out with dampening down expectations. Now to me I just think we need to continually always look at the next game and go in to win each one we play but I'm getting tired of hearing from TM. Results on the pitch is we're talking matters, hope the LT lay off it a while.

Interesting quote from a Coventry fan on being asked about Mowbray. Yesterday I brought up Mowbrays comment about that fact we won't be in a Wembley final.  Some of you said it was realistic, I said the choice of words were poor and that there was no need to deflate us. Well, read on... 

What are the fans feelings towards Tony Mowbray? 

I'm probably stronger that most, in the fact i will never forgive him for the capitulation. We had the best team in the league, and were top of the league, and he came out and mentioned how he had two Middlesbrough teams top at a similar time and didn't get promoted with either of them. As soon as he said it, alarm bells rang, and performances dropped. I hope for your sake that he's finally learnt from it!

Honesty is great , but there is a case of being over honest to the point of talking your team out of winning. 

Quote from Mowbray today: “My first ever day of management in 2003/04 my centre forward had headbutted an Elvis impersonator.

“That was my first time of having to deal with a player who had done something they had regretted."

Now, what is it with centre forwards and Elvis impersonators?

56 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'll help him out. It's about good players working hard, but mainly about the players.

buy league 2 players, get league 2 football.

never thought I'd be saying that.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:38, Dreams of 1995 said:

Its certainly far better than getting to the later stages and after losing, saying we forfeited the game and a Wembley appearance, to concentrate on the league. I will never forgive that one.

Archived