BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Im coming very close to saying goodbye to football, its draining the life out of me now. Im sick and tired of feeling angry, embarrassed and disappointed each week. We,ve had 7 years of this now, 7 fckin years. Gone from signing Beckham and Ronaldinho and being in Europe within 5 years, to losing at home to fckn Doncaster in the third fckin division. I can handle losing or a bad run but its the nature of thse defeats that grates. The manager keeps playng stupid damn formations and the players dont even look fckin interested. Sack everyone.

I fkin hate football!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Give him time. Actual time. Not 5 matches, not a window. Give him a season to try and fix the club and get a squad playing together

Even if he's cr@p? Like Coyle (8 months) or Kean (2 years). That's how we got in this mess, appointing sh1t managers and leaving them in charge until  relegation is all but assured.

Sounds like a plan:rolleyes:

Let's give him 10 games, if we are in the relegation zone or close let's sack him. Deal?

Just now, martonrover said:

I don't think anyone is calling for Mowbray to be sacked.

I simply don't agree that he has a ready made excuse of poor owners if he fails.

As a stand alone issue, the performance yesterday was pathetic, and Mowbray has to take most responsibility for that.

Which he didn't, he blamed the players. Very Coyle.

I simply don't agree that he has a ready made excuse of poor owners if he fails.

As a stand alone issue, the performance yesterday was pathetic, and Mowbray has to take most responsibility for that.

He hasnt, says he dont think the formation was the problem.

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

No, it's just not reacting after two games. Giving a manger a summer, some money and a new contract then sacking them two games into the season is ridiculous.

Its a terrible start, but eddie is correct (in everything but the fans having comparable levels of blame to the owners, which is quite frankly ridiculous - but only one sentence in a good post). Hopefully he turns it around, if he can't by 10 games and nothing is changing, I expect we won't need to worry about him clinging on or taking a pay off - he will walk.

It's this insistence on time being some kind of healer that causes so much damage.

If you hired an chief accountant to work on your key account that, if done badly, would close your business down. Would you be happy after his first two account submissions were riddled with errors and cost you sales?

This is not some young manager learning his trade - which would be bad enough - this is an experienced manager. If he cannot turn things around in the next three games and put these two down to a bad start then how can he be given a further 5, 15, 41 games?

It wasn't just the defeat, it was the manner of it, and the absolutely amateurish, unprofessional half time fiasco with the subs. I'm genuinely shocked that people think this is acceptable. That was Sunday league stuff. Mowbray needs to get a grip of things, and fast. Very concerned about everything I've read and seen about D*ck, and it all points to a terrible attitude.

Yes, which is deeply worrying. Everyone in the ground could see we had square pegs in round holes.

Worrying indeed, as it makes him seem very stubborn. If so, we can expect to see similar fancy formations and odd selections for the foreseeable future. Blaming the players wont go down well either, i already suspect he has lost the dressing room.

6 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

problem is we dont have the luxury of giving Tony a season to tinker. We will end up in the 4th division. I ain't overreacting. He has 10 league games !

He said after last Saturday "Judge us after ten - twelve games", so I would agree.

If we were talking about an upcoming, inexperienced manager, then there would be far more scope for saying 'give him the season'.

We have a guy who has been around the block a good few times, and should be capable of obtaining reasonable results in League One from the outset, having been given money to spend.

As much as I've always liked Mowbray as a football bloke we can't hide the fact that we've hired another manager who's career was on a serious downward curve. Just like Coyle he's a history of going to a desperate club and just adding to the problems instead of stabilizing them.

Hopefully he's had a big reality check now and he'll turn it around I still think he can but recent history might say otherwise. Why in the world sign players for certain jobs in the team then go and give them something completely alien to do whilst leaving out the 3 strikers you've brought in to play 1 up top at home ?

Beyond odd.

Buck stops with TM yesterday. Lineup had everyone scratching their heads and the formation looked like some complicated maths formula. He then blames the players, players that HE brought in supposedly to play in these stupid formations. Sure, the players dont look like they give a damn but again, they are HIS players. If he cannot take responsibility - I fear things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Dont even get me started on the half-time keepy uppies ....fckin amatuer stuff.

A third division club in free fall is only ever going to attract very average managers and very average players and fans need to understand this, far to many still have illusions of grandeur.

The word is out, Rovers are a basket case of a club, Ewood Park is a managerial grave yard, avoid at all costs.

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It's this insistence on time being some kind of healer that causes so much damage.

If you hired an chief accountant to work on your key account that, if done badly, would close your business down. Would you be happy after his first two account submissions were riddled with errors and cost you sales?

This is not some young manager learning his trade - which would be bad enough - this is an experienced manager. If he cannot turn things around in the next three games and put these two down to a bad start then how can he be given a further 5, 15, 41 games?

It wasn't just the defeat, it was the manner of it, and the absolutely amateurish, unprofessional half time fiasco with the subs. I'm genuinely shocked that people think this is acceptable. That was Sunday league stuff. Mowbray needs to get a grip of things, and fast. Very concerned about everything I've read and seen about D*ck, and it all points to a terrible attitude.

Stuart- isn't it better to use previous football examples, Ferguson being the prime one (however unlike our own example it is) where they considered potting him early into his Man Utd career and he went on to be Sir...

Maybe a more pertinent one for us is Hughes? Didn't start well, given half a season and started to really improve?

Im sure there are countless examples of clubs in lower leagues starting badly and finishing well, you don't need to bring in some random (to borrow a phrase) "straw man" analogy to make a point.

If you think sacking Mowbray two games into a new season is a good plan, that's completely fine by me but I couldn't agree with it. I couldn't disagree more. Even Coyle got 10 games from me, and whilst I still expect the decision making above TM to be ludicrous, it's still a bit daft (imo) to be so reactive.

Say we did get a new man in tomorrow, he loses the next two and we get stuffed by Burnley... would he need chopping too? 

31 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Im coming very close to saying goodbye to football, its draining the life out of me now. Im sick and tired of feeling angry, embarrassed and disappointed each week. We,ve had 7 years of this now, 7 fckin years. Gone from signing Beckham and Ronaldinho and being in Europe within 5 years, to losing at home to fckn Doncaster in the third fckin division. I can handle losing or a bad run but its the nature of thse defeats that grates. The manager keeps playng stupid damn formations and the players dont even look fckin interested. Sack everyone.

I fkin hate football!

This was me 12-15months ago. I stopped going and at the time, it felt great. It's good to have a break but I must admit, I got my love back for Rovers and I'll rant, rave, whinge, moan and cheer them on at Ewood this season.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

I am. The team picked and the tactics deployed in the first two games have shown him to be absolutely clueless. What is the point of carrying on with a clueless manager? Sack him before it's too late. The squad is more than good enough to win this league and a competent manager could do it easily.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

No, it's just not reacting after two games. Giving a manger a summer, some money and a new contract then sacking them two games into the season is ridiculous.

Its a terrible start, but eddie is correct (in everything but the fans having comparable levels of blame to the owners, which is quite frankly ridiculous - but only one sentence in a good post). Hopefully he turns it around, if he can't by 10 games and nothing is changing, I expect we won't need to worry about him clinging on or taking a pay off - he will walk.

Almost to a man the majority of posters have nailed what is wrong and I believe their judgement to be totally correct. The tactics and systems just aren't working or conducive to league one. Yesterday we started with seven defensive minded outfield players in a system almost designed to marginalise the opposition who, by the way were Doncaster Rovers. Darren Ferguson must have been orgasmic when he saw our line up. If Mowbray is going to dig his heels in and stick to his slow, short passing game using a system where players look lost then we will struggle. He needs to learn how to win games at this level and if he doesn't want to or can't then he should go now whilst something can be salvaged.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've ignored you for months cos you are constantly digging basically every posts. You are obsess by me. I'm fed up with you and all your BS. Leave me alone. This messageboard is going down hill cos of posters like you. 

Wow! Where am I, yup this is the message board.

So despite the hysteria and some over the top comments hiw long realistically should we give him.  Mowbary not Chaddy

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm really not bothered what people thinks.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've ignored you for months cos you are constantly digging basically every posts. You are obsess by me. I'm fed up with you and all your BS. Leave me alone. This messageboard is going down hill cos of posters like you. 

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

He hasnt, says he dont think the formation was the problem.

In that case he has signed the wrong type of player. In 180 minutes now players have looked uncomfortable in his systems which are at times unfathomable and we are only watching. How did the positions Whittingham played in yesterday fit into any system. I spoke to a friend who has the inside track at Cardiff and he said he couldn't recall Whittingham playing in them positions in ten years there. It was almost that he was shoehorned into the team but so ineffectual it was embarrassing for him and the manager/head coach or whatever his title is.

3 hours ago, Athlete said:

Ha ha... The message board went down hill with your BS chaddyrovers 

classic post

3 hours ago, Athlete said:

Mowbray took us down.. His tactics in the last few games have been atrocious if he carries on his league one management ability like at Coventry we'll be league two before you know it.. That formation yesterday was shocking one up front against Doncaster ffs.. As for your tactics formation chaddyrovers you obviously never played the game  

Havent I already said I wasn't happy and impress by the formation yesterday.

Nothing wrong with my team and lots of teams play it at this level and it would cause lots of teams problems with it pace, skill and tricky plus we could counter attack must quickly than we did yesterday. we need to play at a fast tempo and press high up the pitch instead of sitting deep and playing at slow tempo

Just carry on the needless insults towards as per usual. glad to see nothing changes

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

We just can't keep doing this. 

We can't keep sacking managers. We can't keep giving them no time to put their squad together and get settled. 

Reading this messageboard is starting to look like all of clubs we used to make fun of. Clubs that had no patience. Supporters who were completely knee jerk. 

These have been two terrible performances, but read that again. TWO performances. 

We are reach a point where our supporters are becoming as much of a problem as our owners. Have a look at the league table last season and see how teams struggled and then picked up, or got off to flyers and then dropped off. 

Give him time. Actual time. Not 5 matches, not a window. Give him a season to try and fix the club and get a squad playing together. 

Don't react to single matches and call for his head. Don't start calling him the worst manager ever, or the least exciting manager ever, or whatever else. 

Give him time to show what he can do and then judge him. 

I'm tired of this club being a joke. Part of that is the fact that we are going through managers faster than most players go through boots. 

great post and post of the season. agree 100%

2 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

Glenn, I need the new dislike button 

shouldn't happen cos people like you would abuse it by dislike every sensible post that disagree with your agenda

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Christ. We are back at the start of Bowyer's tenure again. Give him time. A window, two windows, a season, three windows.

Worse, people were saying exactly the same when Coyle was appointed.

Mowbray is not a League One manager. He struggled to get results in the Championship and we were relegated (granted not all his fault). His style of play is already looking like not being suited to this league, and the players look clueless.

Tell you what, get in a manager who knows this league and has a track record of success and give them that time to build instead of Rovers never admitting they might have made a mistake. 

But instead we will just blindly back whoever is in the hot seat because "the next manager could be worse".

Control, Alt, Delete and restart - every single @#/? season.

You cant keep sacking managers and not giving them time. Rome wasn't build in a day.

Rovers need to give Mowbray time. It will take longer than a few weeks for players to settle in, tactics to be understood by the players, etc.

In football, there is far too many sacking of managers without given them proper time and patience. I used to laugh at the sacking manager culture of Italian football but by the influx of foreign owners we have see it come to our football.  

Archived