BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

We are TWO games into a season right? I do think it is very quick to judge the manager to this level and as always, there are a few oracles who appear to think that they have the season totally sussed out already ?...nobody has.  Off the top of my head there were at least six new players in the squad yesterday. They need to gel.  This simply isn't the side (or anything that resembles it) who got us relegated because Steele, Greer, Lowe, Emnes, Gallagher, Brown, Akpan,  Guthrie and Mahoney have moved on.  If people are or were expecting an all-conquering side after 180mins then seriously come on, get real quick.

Although I'm massively disappointed with the start to the season and the level of mistakes are not only embarassing, they are unacceptable, I said before the season kicked off that with such wholesale changes, we would need time to gel. We did then and we still do.  Mowbray clearly doesn't know his best side or formation. Unfortunately, being part of Blackburn Rovers in League One won't grant any player or manager that time and one home game in, we are already ranting at players and doubting the man in charge.  At any club, in any league, six or seven games into a season would even be very hasty to judge but I feel that if this is the norm, things will have to change drastically and that should be the benchmark to start asking serious questions. This club needs out of this league at the first time of asking but for me, it's far too early for the Judan Ali rumours to resurface.

Keep it simple Mowbray and sort it out.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

You didn't think he'd be sacked when you were at work?!

I was at work when he was sacked. just surprised with the timing being the day after Man Utd cup game, But Senior did want rid of him from Day 1 and I did keep trying to get him sack.

I checked my phone and its had like 20 tweets about it and a Text messages from other Rovers fans aswell

2 hours ago, den said:

Well that's fine, but it goes against your last post saying that managers aren't given enough time. It depends simply on whether they're showing signs of taking their club forwards or backwards.

Kean was given enough time. Should have gone after that Wigan away game but He was given a contract extension by Mrs D whilst her brothers were going to sack him. Kean played the owners left right and centre and he always got what he wanted from Mrs D.

Coyle should have gone after the Barnsley away game

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

Did you think Rovers would wait till you finished work ha ha 

Also you never wanted Mowbray then you championed a Dof structure.. You don't help yourself Chaddy 

That formation yesterday was a shambles and it was also remarked by a few ex pros sat behind me yesterday that it looked like the players didn't know where TM wanted em 

Might have help. haha

I didn't know who we would go for. I expect an foreign head coach to come in. I like the DoF/head coach structure and its can work in English football but I don't know what structure we have at the minute cos Mowbray is running the football side whilst head coach, but I guess its only a title. I would imagine he reported directly to Pasha and owners whilst Cheston and Slivester who has no involved with Mowbray apart from admin side of the deals

Havent I already said the performance, tactics and formation was pathetic and was very poor. how many more times do I need to say it? do you want it in Blood?

I'm still sticking to 10 games.

Although people have to remember, the investment is MASSIVE for this league. The fact that Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, graham, Feeney, Conway, Lenni are in the building (and the academy is going to stay Cat 1)means that the owners will be pumping in around £8million this year.

Danny Graham will earn nearly as much per week as the whole Donacster side put together.

Not to mention that Mowbray and Cheston will be the highest paid execs in the division too.

There's no other club that will come close to that.

So if everyone is happy to scrape around the top half then it is going to be an expensive waste of a season yet again.

If we're not top 3 at Christmas  (or within touching distance) he should go. 

7 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Danny Graham will earn nearly as much per week as the whole Donacster side put together.

Not to mention that Mowbray and Cheston will be the highest paid execs in the division too.

That actually makes it worse. Much worse.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Wrong. Most of them haven't. 

And, aside from Evans and Feeney,  the ones that have are players whose abilities are now seriously on the wane. And let's not forget Feeney got Bolton relegated.

Not sure how you can say a fact is wrong. Let's look through yesterday's XI... 

Has the player played the majority of his career at Championship level or above:

Raya: young so no.

Nyambe: young so no.

Ward: yes.

Mulgrew: yes.

Caddis: yes.

Smallwod: yes.

Evans: yes.

Williams: half and half Championship/League 1

Whittingham: yes.

Bennett: yes.

Graham: yes.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

We are TWO games into a season right? I do think it is very quick to judge the manager to this level and as always, there are a few oracles who appear to think that they have the season totally sussed out already ?...nobody has.  Off the top of my head there were at least six new players in the squad yesterday. They need to gel.  This simply isn't the side (or anything that resembles it) who got us relegated because Steele, Greer, Lowe, Emnes, Gallagher, Brown, Akpan,  Guthrie and Mahoney have moved on.  If people are or were expecting an all-conquering side after 180mins then seriously come on, get real quick.

Although I'm massively disappointed with the start to the season and the level of mistakes are not only embarassing, they are unacceptable, I said before the season kicked off that with such wholesale changes, we would need time to gel. We did then and we still do.  Mowbray clearly doesn't know his best side or formation. Unfortunately, being part of Blackburn Rovers in League One won't grant any player or manager that time and one home game in, we are already ranting at players and doubting the man in charge.  At any club, in any league, six or seven games into a season would even be very hasty to judge but I feel that if this is the norm, things will have to change drastically and that should be the benchmark to start asking serious questions. This club needs out of this league at the first time of asking but for me, it's far too early for the Judan Ali rumours to resurface.

Keep it simple Mowbray and sort it out.

Unfortunately the 'needing time to gel' excuse won't cut it. Yesterday's starting line up contained 8 players who played regularly in the Championship last season, a large chunk of which was under this manager. To witness a diabolical display and defensive horror show yesterday at home was simply inexcusable. Last week people were saying Southend were a good side at this level, a week later they've been demolished 5-0 at Rotherham. 

Doncaster have just come up from the 4th division. Amazing how they didn't need any time to gel as they took the mick out of us on Ewood. 

There are big problems here and no number of new signings or impressive speeches from Mowbray will change that. He needs to sort this out asap.

Just now, JHRover said:

Unfortunately the 'needing time to gel' excuse won't cut it. Yesterday's starting line up contained 8 players who played regularly in the Championship last season, a large chunk of which was under this manager. To witness a diabolical display and defensive horror show yesterday at home was simply inexcusable. Last week people were saying Southend were a good side at this level, a week later they've been demolished 5-0 at Rotherham. 

Doncaster have just come up from the 4th division. Amazing how they didn't need any time to gel as they took the mick out of us on Ewood. 

There are big problems here and no number of new signings or impressive speeches from Mowbray will change that. He needs to sort this out asap.

Talk is cheap, what we need is a period of silence from the players and the manager. Some hard work on the pitch and results would be much appreciated. 

I wasn't one of those that thought we'd walk this league. The cancer at the heart of the club will always prevent any real success. Players and managers come and go at Ewood but the work ethic at the club remains the same - non existent.

I said awhile ago that I wanted a manager who didn't @#/? in my ear and then tell me it was raining. Yesterday Mowbray did exactly that when he said the formation wasn't to  blame for our defeat.

We'll start to win game when we stop feeling sorry for ourselves, when we stop thinking we're too good for this league and when realise we've got to work harder than our opponents if we want to win matches.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Not sure how you can say a fact is wrong. Let's look through yesterday's XI... 

Has the player played the majority of his career at Championship level or above:

Raya: young so no.

Nyambe: young so no.

Ward: yes.

Mulgrew: yes.

Caddis: yes.

Smallwod: yes.

Evans: yes.

Williams: half and half Championship/League 1

Whittingham: yes.

Bennett: yes.

Graham: yes.

Bennett and Williams are actually No and you said the squad, not the first 11 yesterday.

However having researched it a bit more I stand corrected. However the likes of Ward, Graham, Conway and Whittingham may have played there regularly previously but they may be past it. Think Wes Brown and Robbie Fowler at Ewood.

Southends first 11 has more premier league experience than ours. Should they easily be good enough to win this league? 

Our squad ain't as superior as some think and the view that a half decent manager should easily win promotion is @#/?. We need a good manager to make a squad of good players for this league into a decent team.

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Raya played how many games last season? How many times has that been our defensive set up? How many games has Evans played this year? How many times has Smallwood partnered him? How many games has Caddis played for us and is has that ever been his role? The subs who came on...have they ever pulled on a Rovers shirt at Ewood before?

Yet they should all just seamlessly click together. Not a chance.

If we don't improve game on game, then there is a major issue. Like anyone, we need points quickly. To get them, from our perspective it's plain to see that mistakes need to be cut out and the best players played in their best positions and our approach has to be simplified (add to that Ward being dropped). If football is that simple and this doesn't happen, I'd give the manager and players both barrels myself.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

So just to recap, Tony picked a defensive line-up for a home game against a team that was in Div 4 and we conceded three goals?

What conclusion should we reach from that?

One conclusion I can come to, is I am very worried about our next home game.

16 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I'm still sticking to 10 games.

Although people have to remember, the investment is MASSIVE for this league. The fact that Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, graham, Feeney, Conway, Lenni are in the building (and the academy is going to stay Cat 1)means that the owners will be pumping in around £8million this year.

So if everyone is happy to scrape around the top half then it is going to be an expensive waste of a season yet again.

If we're not top 3 at Christmas  (or within touching distance) he should go. 

Totally agree, i posted about expectations of 6 wins 2 draws 2 losses from 10 games, that ratio should see us finishing top or worst 2nd come the end of the season. Ass much as I like TM over the past managers my knives wont be out till game 10 is finished and only then would i give TM another 10 to sort it or he's gone. 

Coyle Kean etc were given far to long  but we dont want the opposite to happen with TM , more so now because the more of the circus carries on the less that ANY manager will take the job.

as i posted  "By the end of Dec we should be 50 points 15wins 5 draws." anything less means we are not on course and the club needs to react as so.

I think the reason Mowbray sent out this bizarre line-up was purely down to the Southend result. Basically, his starting point was "must not lose this one". Had we won or even drawn the first game I would have expected a much less timid approach.

When taken in that context, I can understand why he did what he did (even though I profoundly disagree with the cowardly nature of it), and after all, he will have discussed his thought process at length with those around him and persuaded them of his logic (or maybe it was the brainchild of his staff). 

What he didn't factor in was that all our opponents at Ewood this season will sit deep, scrap like mad and counter attack with the prospect of a hard fought draw being a tremendous result for them. Whilst we may have looked in command in the first half with all our possession, in actual fact, Doncaster were perfectly happy to play without the ball and to nullify our threat. I commented at half time that I was surprised by our subs "warming up" as I would have withdrawn Caddis (with his Ronnie Hildersley comedy backside) and Whittingham (who will be completely obsolete this season) and brought on some width and pace. You must give the opposition something to think about, be it boxing, tennis or any other head to head sport and we singularly failed to do so for most of the game. Even Feeney would have unsettled Doncaster but Mowbray stubbornly wouldn't budge.

The biggest crime is the way we gave up at 3-1 with several minutes to play. I watched Mowbray at this time and the contrast between him and Sam Allardyce for example was marked. Big Sam would have screamed, instructed, been bold and demanded goals. We continued to play in the 91st minute the same as the previous 90.

Not good enough. Due to his timidity and fear of losing, he will now have to be extremely defensive at Bradford, inviting more trouble and an almost inevitable defeat. We will then roll over to Burnley and have zero confidence from there on in. We should have gone 4-4-2 and steamrolled Doncaster. I could have accepted losing if we had shown aggression and flair. At some point he will have to move to a 4-4-2 and accept losing one or two until we settle down. He is too clever by half.

I am concerned about Mowbray and in particular his suitability for this division. Nice bloke no doubt, talks sense yes, deserves a chance after last season yes. But the cold hard facts are that in the last 2 seasons at Coventry and Rovers he has won 5 out of 27. That is dreadful. Now clearly there were/are some mitigating factors which made his jobs more difficult than they needed to be, but results are results and he needs a rapid improvement.

At WBA in the Premier League I remember his staunch refusal to change his approach meant that they went back down after one season yet he still received plaudits from the WBA fans for his honesty and for sticking to his principles and an 'attractive' style of play. Nonetheless they went down. I hope similar stubbornness isn't going to cost us this season.

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I am concerned about Mowbray and in particular his suitability for this division. Nice bloke no doubt, talks sense yes, deserves a chance after last season yes. But the cold hard facts are that in the last 2 seasons at Coventry and Rovers he has won 5 out of 27. That is dreadful. Now clearly there were/are some mitigating factors which made his jobs more difficult than they needed to be, but results are results and he needs a rapid improvement.

At WBA in the Premier League I remember his staunch refusal to change his approach meant that they went back down after one season yet he still received plaudits from the WBA fans for his honesty and for sticking to his principles and an 'attractive' style of play. Nonetheless they went down. I hope similar stubbornness isn't going to cost us this season.

The thing is about his staunch stubbornness to play the 'right' way, I am yet to witness it apart from a few short passes around the back and in midfield before somebody finally gets bored and lumps it up to Graham, who then rather obviously loses out up against two CB's. All very well having the possession but if it is ineffective and we do not know what to do with it, he has to swallow his pride and get back to playing something more basic but far more effective for this division.

Total lack of motivation from Mowbray on Saturday from his body language as we played badly......this in the first home game of the season! What about a bit of encouragement?

I thought Coyle was bad last season but he didnt get a pre-season,wasnt given the largest budget in the League,had to play stronger technically-better teams,and didnt blame the players on home day one.

Come to think of it,he didnt deliberately play loads of players out of position  either. Just conceded bucket loads of goals and talked total waffle.So actually an improvement on what we have seen so far this season.

7 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

I thought Coyle was bad last season but he didnt get a pre-season,

He was appointed on June 2....he had weeks before pre-season even began. So plenty of time (unfortunately, he shouldn't have had any at all).

11 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Total lack of motivation from Mowbray on Saturday from his body language as we played badly......this in the first home game of the season! What about a bit of encouragement?

I thought Coyle was bad last season but he didnt get a pre-season,wasnt given the largest budget in the League,had to play stronger technically-better teams,and didnt blame the players on home day one.

Come to think of it,he didnt deliberately play loads of players out of position  either. Just conceded bucket loads of goals and talked total waffle.So actually an improvement on what we have seen so far this season.

No way in this world is Coyle an improvement on anyone. I hated the guy from the day he arrived to the day he left. You need only look at the results Mowbray achieved with the same players, after he left, to understand how much better Mowbray is than him. I know certain things Coyle did when at Bolton, as I have a friend who was on the medical staff there, at the time. He is simply a snake like good for nothing and a bully to boot, who had no right to be manager of our club. Hopefully the results this season will improve soon, but irrespective, I will never view Mowbray, the same way as that cretin.

9 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Mowbray is not an inspiring figure on the touchline. I noticed last season he does this weird thing of putting his hands up to his head in despair and turning away if ever there is a misplaced pass. He was doing it again Saturday in the 2nd half.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15473284._We_need_to_analyse_what___s_working_and_what___s_not____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_looking_to_strike_the_right_balance/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

"I can sit here and talk about personnel, but if we are going to play expansively then we need to do our jobs defensively. It’s about bringing it all together. It’s just about getting the balance right and in the first two games we have not got it right. When we find that formula I’m sure we’ll be okay.”

Expansively. Haha. Delusional claptrap.

Formations/formula's/systems blah blah. Another BS merchant.

Archived