BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

1 hour ago, Garage Flower said:

Steady on lads Coyle was @#/? @#/? for quite some time. Let's not rewrite history.

Every manager we've had under Venkys have been crap probably with the exception of Lambert who once he sussed he'd been led up the garden path soon saw sense 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15473284._We_need_to_analyse_what___s_working_and_what___s_not____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_looking_to_strike_the_right_balance/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

"I can sit here and talk about personnel, but if we are going to play expansively then we need to do our jobs defensively. It’s about bringing it all together. It’s just about getting the balance right and in the first two games we have not got it right. When we find that formula I’m sure we’ll be okay.”

Expansively. Haha. Delusional claptrap.

Formations/formula's/systems blah blah. Another BS merchant.

I thought that was what pre season and friendlies were for. Reading that it doesn't appear that his Einsteinesque formulas and tactics are going to change. I like the 'we haven't got it right' quote. The buck stops with him.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is not an inspiring figure on the touchline. I noticed last season he does this weird thing of putting his hands up to his head in despair and turning away if ever there is a misplaced pass. He was doing it again Saturday in the 2nd half.

He does it like he's a fan in the stand that has no control over what's happening, when in reality, most of our problems are directly caused by him.

56 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Every manager we've had under Venkys have been crap probably with the exception of Lambert who once he sussed he'd been led up the garden path soon saw sense 

And no manager, with the possible exception of Lambert, has really been able to get on with the job and been able to focus purely on being a football manager. Mowbray has had it his way this summer with the signings he has made and by being able to keep hold of all his players, and apparently armed with a very strong budget for this league, but he still had kick things off by flying to India to get anywhere, still has to wait for authorisation from India, and still has to operate day to day within a power vacuum at Ewood Park with clueless Cheston and invisible shadow director running their own agendas, neither of which include delivering a successful football team.

I refuse to accept that this situation is good, workable, healthy or will ever result in success. Some people appear to have accepted it is reasonable or appropriate for the manager to have to fly half way round the world whenever he wants to know his budgets or targets, or don't see what the harm is in it, or that because Mowbray has put up with it then it must be ok.

Lambert was a bit of an exception because he took over mid-season and to my knowledge never had to go to India because he only had one transfer window, and he had the audacity to expect them to set budgets out early so he was ready to act in the summer window, and when they wouldn't trouble themselves to do that he quit.

Everyone else who has had to endure a summer transfer window - Kean, Bowyer, Coyle and now Mowbray - have made poor starts to each and every season. Every time we start off looking far from the finished product, unfit, disorganised and short in key areas.

The reason for that is simple. Every other club starts planning months before we do. Rivals will have known their budgets, targets etc. before last season finished whilst Mowbray had to wait for his meeting to be arranged and then had to fly across the world to get his answers, by which time everyone else was ahead of us.

The bottom line is that Mowbray has been backed. How many other League One clubs forked out 750K on one player?

Not many clubs finish their transfer business early in the window, and several  of our new signings featured in pre-season.

It takes time for a team to gel, but that still doesn't account for what we witnessed on Saturday. It was totally unacceptable.

Mowbray is a likeable enough guy, but it's a results business and he needs some ASAP.

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

To be fair, he underachieved too. I remember buzzing that we'd got a proper manager but he led us on a massive winless run like Bowyer did.

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Everyone else who has had to endure a summer transfer window - Kean, Bowyer, Coyle and now Mowbray - have made poor starts to each and every season. 

Sickeningly, the one in bold made a decent start before he was sacked.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Kean resigned and had he not done, I have a feeling we would have had to endure him, for even longer. He still sued the club for a substantial fee too, despite resigning, so he was certainly out to get as much as he could and that was his only success, whilst at the club.

Some awful performances under every manager Venkys have appointed.......but Lambert did at least get the fitness levels of the team up,and didnt concede"Keystone cop"-type soft goals regularly.

With his Einsteinesque-philosophy nonsense,Mowbray has already got us tonked by Doncaster,Southend,and more worringly-Carlisle!

Theres time for improvement yet,but his record at Coventry suggests he will keep us at the bottom.

It's not only down to tactics but the application of those tactics. Some of the players haven't showed up, and it's difficult to judge whether that's Mowbray's fault or not. The lack of urgency on the ball, intensity in trying to win it back, and movement in the final third are all worrying factors for me - as well as the complete lack of diehard spirit inside both boxes. I will say it's Mowbray's responsibility and I agree he does seem to over-complicate things, but we're three competitive games in with a 1-0-2 record and with time to pick ourselves up. If all the players shared the same attitude as Elliott Bennett, the we'd be fine. I would make him captain based on his effort alone.

52 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

It's not only down to tactics but the application of those tactics. Some of the players haven't showed up, and it's difficult to judge whether that's Mowbray's fault or not. The lack of urgency on the ball, intensity in trying to win it back, and movement in the final third are all worrying factors for me - as well as the complete lack of diehard spirit inside both boxes. I will say it's Mowbray's responsibility and I agree he does seem to over-complicate things, but we're three competitive games in with a 1-0-2 record and with time to pick ourselves up. If all the players shared the same attitude as Elliott Bennett, the we'd be fine. I would make him captain based on his effort alone.

I agree with your points but I don't believe that the players we have are generally suited to the system Mowbray wants to play. At times on Saturday Smallwood and Evans were almost joined at the hips, Williams and Caddis looked lost and almost confused when to push forward. To be fair to Caddis he had Whittingham directly in front during the early period and he looked like he hadn't got a clue what his role was. Our most creative and possibly slowest player out wide? He was never going to go past anyone and get balls across so invariably he played an easy ball inside as Peterborough got bodies behind the ball. Surely he needs to be central where he can see everything in front of him.

One major disappointment on Saturday was how far too many players far too often took the easy and safe option. Maybe Mowbray has instructed them to play like this but if he persists then I believe we will lose more than we win. We are far too easy to play against.

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

I agree with a lot of this but thought they were excellent at winning the ball back on Saturday. We won the ball back time after time in their half.  Unfortunately, until the changes we lacked quality out wide and made horrific individual errors (even the non-penalty should have been dealt with seconds before on the halfway line by Ward).  Decisive passing and positive movement in the final third - that was dire too. 

You can talk tactics, you can talk motivation, you can talk players, you can talk cr@p until the cows come home, it won't make any difference, this football club is setup to fail and will continue to fail until something is done about the owners - Boring I know.......

One of the biggest problems this closed season is far to many posters have been blinded by players coming into the club, but the facts are if they're cr@p they're cr#p, doesn't matter how many we sign if they're rubbish, and you can bet your last pound if they were any good they'd not be at 3rd division Blackburn Rovers......

But saying that they do need time, bit like the manager needs time, so stop the knee jerk reactions to a couple of defeats and give them time to get things together, its a long hard season and we've not even scratched the surface yet.

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree with your points but I don't believe that the players we have are generally suited to the system Mowbray wants to play. At times on Saturday Smallwood and Evans were almost joined at the hips, Williams and Caddis looked lost and almost confused when to push forward. To be fair to Caddis he had Whittingham directly in front during the early period and he looked like he hadn't got a clue what his role was. Our most creative and possibly slowest player out wide? He was never going to go past anyone and get balls across so invariably he played an easy ball inside as Peterborough got bodies behind the ball. Surely he needs to be central where he can see everything in front of him.

One major disappointment on Saturday was how far too many players far too often took the easy and safe option. Maybe Mowbray has instructed them to play like this but if he persists then I believe we will lose more than we win. We are far too easy to play against.

Whittingham has definitely looked out of sorts in the opening two games and I agree regarding Caddis and Williams. Williams kept taking his man on last Saturday but lacked the skill to go past his fullback, and Caddis was a right back playing right winger. I think we're better off playing 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 (4-4-1-1). If the system and tactics are cause for frustration for the players, then maybe that's part of the reason for their lack of workrate. I also think Graham has looked disinterested in large parts, he really needs to lead the line if we want to put points on the board.

It's his relentless desire for expansive football that's his main problem, he wants to play from the back and through midfield but he hasn't built from the back with decent defenders and is trying to shoehorn in a load of midfielders.

It would work in this league if we were head and shoulders above others in terms of quality but we aren't, that's why we are in these league yet the potential for a decent back line at this level is still actually there.

One good centre half even alongside Ward, Caddis RB, Mulgrew LB and that would be comfortable imo once they've moulded into a unit.  It can be rectified quite easily but the playing style would have to alter slightly.

46 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Predictable, boring, slow, easy to defend against, and with a defensive calamity or two waiting to happen. Could apply that to any point in the last 4 years. Different managers, different division, different players, same old rubbish.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Honestly it was more of a bizarre start than a good one. We were still shipping goals constantly (we shipped 11 goals in our first 7 matches) but we were getting by simply through outscoring opponents (15 goals scored in the same 7 matches). Our performances were widely regarded as awful, but through a combination of luck and moments of individual quality we were still picking up draws and wins where we had no right to do so. Based on Kean's factual inability to set up teams to defend and the unlikeliness of us continuing to score 2+ goals a game, it's inevitable that eventually we would stop outscoring opponents and begin falling down the table. Kean knew this better than anybody which is why he quit when the time was right - and got a nice settlement in the process. 

Worth noting that we actually kept our decent form going even after Kean left. We picked up 14 points from his first 7 games and 10 points from the following 7, so it's not like we fell off a cliff once he quit. Things only started going wrong after we tonked Peterborough 4-1 away. That was basically the peak of our season, as from then onwards we were atrocious and dropped like a stone.    

Leaving aside  all the other stuff that on Saturday was TM presiding over arguably Rovers worst ever performance against a side just promoted and tipped to go back down.. So the buck for that  has to stop at the moment with TM.. Even though we all whom is to blame for everything and until they leave this club won't progress 

58 minutes ago, JAL said:

If your aiming for success no professional manager would go and play Ryan Nyambe in their team unless they are told from above to play him and especially in a three man back line.

Did he try it on with your wife? 

Could name 5 or 6 players easily worse than him so far this season, and probably a full 11 paid more.

Get over the juvenile "I don't like him and I've made my decision" to some level of opinion without the prejudice.

23 hours ago, Biz said:

Did he try it on with your wife? 

Could name 5 or 6 players easily worse than him so far this season, and probably a full 11 paid more.

Get over the juvenile "I don't like him and I've made my decision" to some level of opinion without the prejudice.

Ok then let's say we highlight just one of the many problems Mowbray has created for himself and the team by including a non communicative young not so good defender in Nyambe. 

Maybe we'll start a thread on the Nyambe watch highlighting what he should have been doing when the ball was going into the back of the Rovers net.

5 hours ago, Gav said:

You can talk tactics, you can talk motivation, you can talk players, you can talk cr@p until the cows come home, it won't make any difference, this football club is setup to fail and will continue to fail until something is done about the owners - Boring I know.......

One of the biggest problems this closed season is far to many posters have been blinded by players coming into the club, but the facts are if they're cr@p they're cr#p, doesn't matter how many we sign if they're rubbish, and you can bet your last pound if they were any good they'd not be at 3rd division Blackburn Rovers......

But saying that they do need time, bit like the manager needs time, so stop the knee jerk reactions to a couple of defeats and give them time to get things together, its a long hard season and we've not even scratched the surface yet.

Did you leave your phone unlocked for someone else to write that last paragraph?

If we are set up to fail and have only recruited crap players then what is time going to do?

We do not have time on our side. Just like we didn't have time to blood novice managers. We now have an experienced man and he needs to deliver - and quickly.

What he needs to do is inject a bit of passion into the players because on the evidence so far it's badly lacking.

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

To be fair, he underachieved too. I remember buzzing that we'd got a proper manager but he led us on a massive winless run like Bowyer did.

Didn't Lamberts winless run come after selling Rhodes, losing Watt for the rest of the season, then Graham getting injured - resulting in Chris Brown playing up front on his own, until he too got injured?

what did people expect? We finished the season well though.

2 minutes ago, den said:

Didn't Lamberts winless run come after selling Rhodes, losing Watt for the rest of the season, then Graham getting injured - resulting in Chris Brown playing up front on his own, until he too got injured?

what did people expect? We finished the season well though.

His winless run came a few games after he started, starting before Christmas. Bolton away under Lambert between Christmas and New Year was the worst I've ever seen till last Saturday. It only improved when he signed 9 or 10 players in January. Another massively overhyped manager.

• Backroom

Lambert was here for six months or so, in the middle of the season, and had to go through a fairly tumultuous transfer window. Impossible to judge what impact he could have had with a proper pre-season and time to prepare for the summer transfer window. With Venky's at the helm it would have at best been mid-table imo, but it certainly would have been better than we got under Coyle. PL obviously wasn't prepared to work under Venky's ridiculous structure and moved on. Fair enough. Most managers would and that's why the rest of our managers have been the likes of Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Coyle and Mowbray. You'd have to be pretty down on your luck or out of your depth to stick around for this.

Archived