BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Did you leave your phone unlocked for someone else to write that last paragraph?

If we are set up to fail and have only recruited crap players then what is time going to do?

We do not have time on our side. Just like we didn't have time to blood novice managers. We now have an experienced man and he needs to deliver - and quickly.

What he needs to do is inject a bit of passion into the players because on the evidence so far it's badly lacking.

Same old sh1t different season, manager and players Stuart, not sure what you want me to say?

If you're going week in week out the last thing you need is more managerial changes surly? 

My advice would be pack it in until the owners sod off, it's tough at times but you sleep better at night and don't risk bans and fines. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Another massively overhyped manager.

People judge Lambert after he had to take over somebody else's failing team. He only had about 6 months, had to sell Rhodes presuming he'd get the cash and never got the summer transfer window to shape his squad. Yet he has the highest win percentage of any manager of Blackburn Rovers since Venkys took over. He didnt have the Gestede's, Kings and Cairney's of this world  either that Bowyer had.

21 minutes ago, Gav said:

Same old sh1t different season, manager and players Stuart, not sure what you want me to say?

If you're going week in week out the last thing you need is more managerial changes surly? 

My advice would be pack it in until the owners sod off, it's tough at times but you sleep better at night and don't risk bans and fines. 

It's just that your last paragraph was a completely different tone compared to the first two.

We absolutely need promotion this season. Zero points after 5 games, watching poor football and I don't see how Mowbray can stick around.

Me packing it in won't get us promoted any more than me staying will. I care about this club, that's why I (as it turned out) wasted my time with 18/75 (amongst other things). Now we are in L1 with no money to spend Venkys direct impact is less than it was and they are never hear anyway. Right now, the biggest influence on proceedings is a manager who knows how to get the best out of the division. That person might still be Mowbray but 5 games (really 17 games) with no wins and then I'm less then hopeful.

1 hour ago, den said:

Didn't Lamberts winless run come after selling Rhodes, losing Watt for the rest of the season, then Graham getting injured - resulting in Chris Brown playing up front on his own, until he too got injured?

what did people expect? We finished the season well though.

I've no idea Den to be honest, it seems a distant memory now. I just remember how happy I was that he turned up and getting swept into false hope.

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

Someone remind me why we didn't appoint Neil Warnock when we had the chance. 

Looking good for 3 wins out of 3 for Cardiff 

He wasn't the stand out candidate cheap.

Mick Mccarthy and warnock top of the championship with 3 wins from 3. Picking managers really isn't rocket science, is it? Time after time we overlooked them and look at us now 

I still think Mowbray will come good in time. It's just when I see how those two can handle the championship and the morons we hired over the years, it frustrates me 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

It's just that your last paragraph was a completely different tone compared to the first two.

We absolutely need promotion this season. Zero points after 5 games, watching poor football and I don't see how Mowbray can stick around.

Me packing it in won't get us promoted any more than me staying will. I care about this club, that's why I (as it turned out) wasted my time with 18/75 (amongst other things). Now we are in L1 with no money to spend Venkys direct impact is less than it was and they are never hear anyway. Right now, the biggest influence on proceedings is a manager who knows how to get the best out of the division. That person might still be Mowbray but 5 games (really 17 games) with no wins and then I'm less then hopeful.

The change of tone was my feelings initially and then I tried to put myself in the position of the fans going week in week out, rare on here I know :rolleyes:

The advice to pack it in is how ive managed to live with the current situation, its not for everyone but it helps me cope.

All credit to you for sticking it out though, I hope TM turns it around because fans like you and thousands more deserve it.

Ive had tea tonight with a Boro fan, TM is an absolute legend in Teeside as we know, but he tells me TM couldn't motivate anyone, that was his downfall.....very worrying indeed.

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mick Mccarthy and warnock top of the championship with 3 wins from 3. Picking managers really isn't rocket science, is it? Time after time we overlooked them and look at us now 

I still think Mowbray will come good in time. It's just when I see how those two can handle the championship and the morons we hired over the years, it frustrates me 

Agree it's foolish to be too hasty, TM has been in the game long enough now to know how to change things. Some good old heads managing in the championship with mick & Neil they've got the points on the board already to steer clear of the trapdoor cos I can see them dropping eventually they won't/doubtful be in contention for promotion.

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

Ive had tea tonight with a Boro fan, TM is an absolute legend in Teeside as we know, but he tells me TM couldn't motivate anyone, that was his downfall.....very worrying indeed.

That is a concern.

His old man of football persona with the enthusiasm for the game of a 10 year old was one of the few plus points I was clinging to.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That is a concern.

His old man of football persona with the enthusiasm for the game of a 10 year old was one of the few plus points I was clinging to.

He strikes me as a man I'd run through brick walls for, good, honest and open, but maybe I've got that wrong to

8 hours ago, Gav said:

He strikes me as a man I'd run through brick walls for, good, honest and open, but maybe I've got that wrong to

You're not a young overpaid footballer. Nowadays it's all about soundbites, and show me your medals, all about the manager being "sexy". 

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Fish finger butties?

Mowbray by all accounts is a genuinely nice man who would talk football with anyone and everyone. Unfortunately, his team reflects him, dour and long-winded (pass pass pass pass pass pass slow slow slow slow)  If he drones on about formations and systems to the players they probably switch off after about 2 minutes.  Bradley Dack would being trying to flick his ears after 30 seconds. He's that dour he makes Bowyer sound like Alan Carr.

I can well believe they don't find him motivating.

34 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Nice man this

Nice man that

Only thing which matters is what happens "on the grass"

So far that isn't enough to keep him in a job beyond 10 games. So he needs to sort it out and fast.

"oh Bradley you tinker... stop flicking my ear lad"

He is a lovely man though.

• Backroom
11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mick was actually given a small amount of money to spend this summer, and as always he's made the very best out of it. They were lucky last night though. Millwall absolutely battered them for most of the game but Ipswich literally scored every shot they had on target. I don't think their form will last but they'll be safe again this year, no doubt, and if we had a McCarthy or Warnock last season we'd still be in the Championship too. Mick was never an option but the galling part is that we had Warnock, and then let him go to do it on the cheap with that chimp-faced idiot Coyle. Thanks Venky's & Crescendo, another job well done.

It's infuriating to look at Cardiff's progress since Warnock arrived, as that should've been us.

Let's hope Mowbray can start to produce results, but I just can't help but think his career may be in terminal decline.

All managers go through lean spells, but his results last season at Coventry were dire, (which is why his appointment was bizarre), and he hasn't had tangible success anywhere for many years.

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

Mick was actually given a small amount of money to spend this summer, and as always he's made the very best out of it. They were lucky last night though. Millwall absolutely battered them for most of the game but Ipswich literally scored every shot they had on target. I don't think their form will last but they'll be safe again this year, no doubt, and if we had a McCarthy or Warnock last season we'd still be in the Championship too. Mick was never an option but the galling part is that we had Warnock, and then let him go to do it on the cheap with that chimp-faced idiot Coyle. Thanks Venky's & Crescendo, another job well done.

If we had have went for McCarthy after being relegated from the Premiership, with our team and budget we would have definitely made at least the play-offs, if not better. I received a 4 week ban off the official message board by the infamous Lee Grooby for saying this a bit too forcefully at the time!  :blink: 

If he makes the play-offs with Ipswich again it would be nothing short of incredible when you look at the money other teams are spending. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he did.  

In terms of motivating players, I would say he is brilliant at it 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we had have went for McCarthy after being relegated from the Premiership, with our team and budget we would have definitely made at least the play-offs, if not better. I received a 4 week ban off the official message board by the infamous Lee Grooby for saying this a bit too forcefully at the time!  :blink: 

If he makes the play-offs with Ipswich again it would be nothing short of incredible when you look at the money other teams are spending. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he did.  

In terms of motivating players, I would say he is brilliant at it 

We should have gone for McCarthy instead of Mowbray last season when he was on the verge of getting sacked. I'm sure their chairman would have loved getting him off the books without having to pay him up, and it sounded like McCarthy had all but given up there.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

We should have gone for McCarthy instead of Mowbray last season when he was on the verge of getting sacked. I'm sure their chairman would have loved getting him off the books without having to pay him up, and it sounded like McCarthy had all but given up there.

Nope. Mick's being paid a handsome sum, given free reign to do his job with very little real pressure and has repeatedly said he has no intention of leaving. Evans values McCarthy because he knows he can keep Ipswich in the Championship on a very small budget. Much like Bowyer, Mick has also proven he can sell players on for significant profits. Everyone wins.  

McCarthy's contract is up at the end of the season and I imagine Evans will do everything in his power to keep him there. The only question is whether Mick is happy spinning his wheels at Ipswich or whether he wants a genuine challenge.

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

Nope. Mick's being paid a handsome sum, given free reign to do his job with very little real pressure and has repeatedly said he has no intention of leaving. Evans values McCarthy because he knows he can keep Ipswich in the Championship on a very small budget. Much like Bowyer, Mick has also proven he can sell players on for significant profits. Everyone wins.  

McCarthy's contract is up at the end of the season and I imagine Evans will do everything in his power to keep him there. The only question is whether Mick is happy spinning his wheels at Ipswich or whether he wants a genuine challenge.

He was interviewed on Irish radio a few weeks back, I posted the link here. He was prepared to walk at the end of the season if he wasn't backed. The fans were also getting on his back. I got the impression he would have been open to a move. Probably not to work for Venkys though at this point. 

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was interviewed on Irish radio a few weeks back, I posted the link here. He was prepared to walk at the end of the season if he wasn't backed. The fans were also getting on his back. I got the impression he would have been open to a move. Probably not to work for Venkys though at this point. 

A bit of bluster on his part, imo. Evans definitely knew he had to give Mick some cash, though, so I wasn't surprised when he was given a little money to spend. 

McCarthy is a vastly under-rated manager who goes about his business in a professional and effective manner every season and over achieves. Never moans about his resources or throws a wobbler, just gets on with it as best he can. He was out of work in 2012 when Kean left, criminal that we ignored him and appointed Henning Berg.

They had a poor season last year after spending very little, they've relaxed the purse strings a little this summer with Waghorn, Garner and co. but still among the lowest spenders in the league and I expect their wage bill will be down at the bottom too.

If we'd have appointed Mick after Lambert left and given him £1 million to spend does anyone think we'd be bottom of League One?

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

A bit of bluster on his part, imo. Evans definitely knew he had to give Mick some cash, though, so I wasn't surprised when he was given a little money to spend. 

36 minutes ago, DE. said:

Where did he say he had no intention of leaving? 

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

McCarthy is a vastly under-rated manager who goes about his business in a professional and effective manner every season and over achieves. Never moans about his resources or throws a wobbler, just gets on with it as best he can. He was out of work in 2012 when Kean left, criminal that we ignored him and appointed Henning Berg.

They had a poor season last year after spending very little, they've relaxed the purse strings a little this summer with Waghorn, Garner and co. but still among the lowest spenders in the league and I expect their wage bill will be down at the bottom too.

If we'd have appointed Mick after Lambert left and given him £1 million to spend does anyone think we'd be bottom of League One?

This. 

Archived