BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:30, bellamy11 said:

Was listening to a Football Ramble podcast interviewing, I think, Mark Chapman. He was making the point that of all the media saturation in football, the pre-match press conferences with the managers is the worst offender and should be done away with. What on earth are they able to achieve, aside from filling Sky Sports News' rolling feed on a Thursday, online clicks for scratty local newspapers, and giving us all something to whine about on a Saturday morning?

I'm certain the hysteria that builds, the rapidity of sackings etc is mainly to do with the number of touchpoints we have with our clubs and managers. When you're confronted with a dozen things per week to form a judgement on, of course it accelerates the point at which you believe things are untenable and need to change. No wonder the smarter foreign managers play dumb and pretend not to speak enough English to do all the various media commitments they're supposed to. It's a virtually no-win situation.

The trouble is that with organisations like Sky Sports and Sky Bet almost running English football they have an interest in whipping up the speculation/pressure on managers. They offer betting markets on the next manager to be sacked and the next manager to take over a certain club, along with a 24/7 'news' channel where they are often stuck with nothing to talk about during the week once the transfer window has slammed shut.

Therefore no surprise that as soon as 'deadline day' is out of the way and there's no more transfers to talk about we've seen endless 'speculation' about the likes of Bilic and De Boer getting the boot despite only being 3 games into the new season.

Then in the case of De Boer they hit the jackpot because someone managed to get an interview with the Palace chairman who appeared to cast some doubts over De Boer by admitting he wasn't happy with the start they had made.

The result of this being relentless 'stories' and speculation generated by so-called in the know journalists e.g. Jim White and news companies on twitter, whipping up mass hysteria among supporters, and within a few weeks it is game over for the manager in question as he finds it impossible to cope with the pressure and has lost the support base.

Longer term it will only harm English football as many bright coaches are fired before they've had a real chance to sort things out at clubs and get labelled managerial failures after 5-10 games.

But never mind, anyone who wants to lump some cash on De Boer or Bilic being the next to go can do it on Sky Bet, along with betting some more on who the next manager will be. £££££.

Then there's the glorification of foreign coaches some of whom can barely speak the language but come from exotic locations and are portrayed as bringing something new to English football rather than the archaic old school English managers. The result now being that we've Englishmen at Bournemouth, Brighton, Leicester and Burnley and nobody else in the top division or at any of the top clubs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Why at times are we tempted to pillory the ONLY good thing to have happened to our club in the last 7 years?

Plesee sir, can we have one from Kean, Black, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle back.

Just for the record, Bowyer currently has Blackpool above us in the standings having taken over them in the 4th division, hasn't had any money to spend and plays home games in a 90% empty stadium.

Might not finish up there of course but as things stand he is making a mockery of those who said he wasn't a manager having sorted out arguably the most dysfunctional club in the Football League and made an excellent start to life in League One.

10 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Is the jury still out for TM? Would love to see where we stand after 10 league games, 5 more to go.

Not for me. 

Full confidence in him

7 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

Remember, Tony must be top 2 after 10 league games or he is on a path to failure and should go.

5 games to go...

Needs 5 wins and hope the top teams lose a few.

What a stupid comment ive ever seen on here

Mowbray must stay as manager for the season. 

Being top 2 after 46 games is all that matters. Win nothing for being top 2 after 10 games. 

32 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Remember, Tony must be top 2 after 10 league games or he is on a path to failure and should go.

5 games to go...

Must he? What's the haste? Is it a ten game season this year? 

I've lost count of the teams who are top two early on in a season and plummet down the table come winter. It's who the top two are at the end of the season the matters.  I hope we meet your demands and do win the next five for you but having to win eight in a row isn't likely.  Who do we bring in if we win four and draw one?

Just now, MGPensioner said:

5 games to go...

Lol. You must be gutted we've picked up a few results. He needs 5 wins out of the next 5 then, is that all?

Other than the fact we've played a game less I'd wager 11 points from the next 5 games would see us inside the top 2 but I dont see why anyone should be reaching for the revolver if we're two or three points behind the top 2 at that stage.

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Just for the record, Bowyer currently has Blackpool above us in the standings having taken over them in the 4th division, hasn't had any money to spend and plays home games in a 90% empty stadium.

Might not finish up there of course but as things stand he is making a mockery of those who said he wasn't a manager having sorted out arguably the most dysfunctional club in the Football League and made an excellent start to life in League One.

He must have learnt a lot after seeing what some of the players in that team have gone on to. His main learning was probably not to play 2 extremely limited centre midfielders. In fairness though, I am delighted he is doing well. A gentleman. Us top and them second or play-offs would be great :) 

16 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Why at times are we tempted to pillory the ONLY good thing to have happened to our club in the last 7 years?

Plesee sir, can we have one from Kean, Black, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle back.

Why do I say the only good thing on the manager front? Because he actually cares! There is no doubt in my mind that TM sees this as a project not an opportunity to fleece. Bowyer aside perhaps, none of the others cared anywhere near as much about getting the club back on its feet. Is it wrong to talk about the future and to plan; really?

He may not get it right all of the time but I'd rather have him in charge than any of the other aforementioned (including Bowyer).

Remember Mowbray was around when they locked the gates at Boro in '86 and they were £2m in debt. They then came back from obscurity under Rioch with Mogga as skipper.

He understood our plight before he joined; he chose to stay at the end of last season when he could have bailed out but didn't. Why because he cares and whilst he was dealt a s*** stack of cards by Coyle was prepared to take responsibility for relegation too; something he has got across to the players.

Mowbray has written about the importance of fans in his autobiography and how they under-estimate the impact they can have on the team (both good and bad). I'm glad he wears his heart on his sleeve. Leave the mind games up to the PL managers; who just wish they were as good at it as SAF and Kenny.

Great post. As blueboy says perhaps a bit harsh on Bowyer who was undoubtedly blue and white through and through but who undoubtedly also failed to get anything like the best out of the team whilst he was here. If he's learnt from his mistakes here and become more like a manager than a mate to the players at Blackpool good on him.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He must have learnt a lot after seeing what some of the players in that team have gone on to. His main learning was probably not to play 2 extremely limited centre midfielders. In fairness though, I am delighted he is doing well. A gentleman. Us top and them second or play-offs would be great :) 

I'm happy for him, he was a decent bloke. He should only have been our caretaker manager though. It's always been my belief that we wasted a very good squad under him and we should have been much more on the front foot - at Ewood especially. That team should have been ( at the very least ) a top 6 side.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great post. As blueboy says perhaps a bit harsh on Bowyer who was undoubtedly blue and white through and through but who undoubtedly also failed to get anything like the best out of the team whilst he was here. If he's learnt from his mistakes here and become more like a manager than a mate to the players at Blackpool good on him.

I was always if the opinion that Bowyer was managing for self preservation.  I am sure he knew if we got promoted his goose was cooked.  Liked him his persona lacked some fire and passion and his teams played in that manner.  Good guy, steady eddy but underachieved with the players at his disposal.  Happy for him and his family he is doing well.

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:25, chaddyrovers said:

Just posting links to Mowbray bbc lancs interview. Havent given my opinion at all so far. 

I like Mowbray and his comments. Yes he made some mistakes but been impress by him since he joined. 

I like him saying public we have to make us successful and at least he being open and honest with this. 

What point are you making?

The point I am making Chaddy , if you want me to draw any pictures , is that he isn't going to say anything else really is he? Every manager we have had says that- different thing doing it!!!

I have nothing against  Mowbray but lets not make out those are genius comments. We are an ordinary team in a total disease of a league managed by an ''ok'' manager at this level. Nothing more  and nothing less, mate. We should get out of this division as any reasonable team should. I actually don't think you need to be any more than reasonable to do that.  But the gap between this and the Championship is pretty huge as Bolton are finding out and in many ways we aren't dissimilar to them..

• Backroom
1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

P7 W4 L3 

IMO he needs to win the next 3 otherwise a change should be considered.

I think that's fair 

Sad to say questions need asking - not sure what the answer should be but we risk playing ourself out of contention by October! 

I think he showed last season he doesn't have much idea when we go behind and are struggling, not many excuses really now when you look at the bench but his use of it was found wanting today by the sounds of it.

However players making stupid mistakes and constantly giving away awful goals is down to them. Said it before but those first 2 defeats will prove very costly this season and I've a feeling we might go on a bit of a sticky run now. This squad has too many flaws and weaknesses to boss this league in any shape or form.

• Backroom

He has got two big questions to answer regarding selection imo.

Why is a crap reserve striker from Leeds playing ahead of assumedly our best paid player in Danny Graham? If Graham wasn't considered good enough to start in League 1 why the hell wasn't he offloaded? You can get back up strikers in this league for a lot less than what we're paying Graham.

Why is one of our star signings in Dack sitting on the bench game after game? Again, why have we paid £750k for a player to sit on the bench in League 1?

There are other questions but these two stand out for me at the moment. 

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

Why is a crap reserve striker from Leeds playing ahead of assumedly our best paid player in Danny Graham? If Graham wasn't considered good enough to start in League 1 why the hell wasn't he offloaded? You can get back up strikers in this league for a lot less than what we're paying Graham.

Why is one of our star signings in Dack sitting on the bench game after game? Again, why have we paid £750k for a player to sit on the bench in League 1?

Posted in the match thread, but post match he said it's a shame we didn't have the tools required to get something out of the game. Puzzling comment given he's been pretty much single handedly in charge of club affairs without interference since the summer.

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Third question is why spend the wages on Whittingham to warm the bench?

We outbid a few championship clubs on his wages so he will be on massive money compared to most of the league.

I'm telling you that the other managers/chairman will be having a laugh at our expense if Mowbray (or whoever) isn't held to account if we're bumbling around mid table spending what we have.

If he goes and plonks Whittingham in replacing either Evans or Smallwood at Shrewsbury i'm telling you we'll lose because he just doesn't appear to have the legs to do the graft of either of those two.

I'd suggest he'll have to shake the formation up quite a bit to get his moneys worth out of him and Dack so it's a tricky call, go back to 5 at the back and we'll lose again.

t's a long old season but I fear he's dropped a bollock swallowing most his budget  on those two after planning on playing a certain way that he now realises doesn't suit the rest of the squad or this league.

Time will tell but he has to shoulder some of the blame.

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

According to today's LT he is trying to keep all of the players happy. Rotations a rarely successful in football and you need a first XI playing consistently and not getting injured if you want to get promoted.

Was Smallwood injured today because I was shocked that he was the one thatbthe shepherd's crook came out for.

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Third question is why spend the wages on Whittingham to warm the bench?

We outbid a few championship clubs on his wages so he will be on massive money compared to most of the league.

I'm telling you that the other managers/chairman will be having a laugh at our expense if Mowbray (or whoever) isn't held to account if we're bumbling around mid table spending what we have.

I forgot about Whittingham but yeah, that's another one. Our summer business is looking worse as every game passes. 

Just now, tomphil said:

If he goes and plonks Whittingham in replacing either Evans or Smallwood at Shrewsbury i'm telling you we'll lose because he just doesn't appear to have the legs to do the graft of either of those two.

I'd suggest he'll have to shake the formation up quite a bit to get his moneys worth out of him and Dack so it's a tricky call, go back to 5 at the back and we'll lose again.

t's a long old season but I fear he's dropped a bollock swallowing most his budget  on those two after planning on playing a certain way that he now realises doesn't suit the rest of the squad or this league.

Time will tell but he has to shoulder some of the blame.

Same team for me next week with the exception of Dack in for Antonnson and maybe Chapman in for Conway if he isn't fit.

The team he played today is pretty much the one he should be playing away (with Dack for Antonnson). Mowbray's problem is that that team has very little creativity so when teams come and defend like the Dons did today we've no answer. Play Chapman and Dack at home against teams like that. Play the solid team away. It's not @#/? difficult. Mowbray is a useless @#/?.

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same team for me next week with the exception of Dack in for Antonnson and maybe Chapman in for Conway if he isn't fit.

I agree with that Tyrone.

The main thing for me that automatically hands the opposition an advantage is Mowbray's insistence pre-match every bloody week, in telling the world that we're in for a tough game irrespective of who we are playing.

Next week we're playing the top of the league away from home: keep your gob shut Tony, look at the opposition and pick a team and formation that is capable of beating them and send them out bloody well motivated and believing in themselves.

By the way we're playing @#/? Shrewsbury and we're Blackburn Rovers!!

Archived