BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

The main thing for me that automatically hands the opposition an advantage is Mowbray's insistence pre-match every bloody week, in telling the world that we're in for a tough game irrespective of who we are playing.

It's starting to grate. He bigged up Wimbledon this week. They were very average. He must bore the shyte out of the players. They certainly played today like he does.

With Shrewsbury top of the league he'll probably compare them to the great Brazil sides of the 70's.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's grated on me since last season. At home particularly, whenever there's any expectation, (Bristol City, Doncaster, Wimbledon to name but 3) we fail to turn up and appear to play without any direction, understanding or motivation.

Add to that, why are our 2 key signings this summer (Whittingham and Dack)  not deemed good enough to feature in our starting line up?

Why have we not signed either a centre half or full back who are genuinely worthy of the word. If we have youngsters who may be good enough, why are we not blooding them?

I stated midweek that I was less than convinced, despite the 4 wins and today's performance and result sadly came as no surprise. We are crap at the back and need that solid foundation to build on. 2 decent centre halves who do the basics well frees up so many other options in an attacking sense. 

Sadly, there's only one common denominator. He's a nice guy apparently but nice wins bugger all.

On 16/09/2017 at 19:38, blueboy3333 said:

It's starting to grate. He bigged up Wimbledon this week. They were very average. He must bore the shyte out of the players. They certainly played today like he does.

With Shrewsbury top of the league he'll probably compare them to the great Brazil sides of the 70's.

No manager runs opponents into the ground. Didn't he say we should be expecting to win the games? The players shouldn't get off the hook here. It appears to me that some of them like the easy option. I am worried about that 

On 16/09/2017 at 19:03, blueboy3333 said:

The team he played today is pretty much the one he should be playing away (with Dack for Antonnson). Mowbray's problem is that that team has very little creativity so when teams come and defend like the Dons did today we've no answer. Play Chapman and Dack at home against teams like that. Play the solid team away. It's not @#/? difficult. Mowbray is a useless @#/?.

Hopefully he learns that this is what is needed 

There are big question marks over the summer signings. Most of them are sitting on the bench and apart from, possibly Smallwood, have impressed consistently if at all. What is Gladwin even supposed to be apart from a big lummox? The QPR fans were spot on. Dack seems a difficult player to fit into a team and Mowbray still has not solved the riddle. Whittingham falls into a similar category.  Samuel looks like a typical mentally-weak player from an academy and a Reading season ticketholder I know said "terrible" and laughed when he was signed. Chapman is promising but still at the bottom of his learning curve. The full backs are defensively suspect and offer nothing going forward. There is a total lack of pace from back to front and much less aerial threat than most teams have in this league. I don't see this lot finishing above mid-table.

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Looking at Mowbray's managerial stats they show he's a just below 42% success rate manager with this being boosted by the fact that he's managed Celtic which if he hadn't would have put him below the 40% mark which is no where near good enough for us to draw encouragement from.

Venkys clearly don't want success on the football pitch.

10 hours ago, alcd said:

There are big question marks over the summer signings. Most of them are sitting on the bench and apart from, possibly Smallwood, have impressed consistently if at all. What is Gladwin even supposed to be apart from a big lummox? The QPR fans were spot on. Dack seems a difficult player to fit into a team and Mowbray still has not solved the riddle. Whittingham falls into a similar category.  Samuel looks like a typical mentally-weak player from an academy and a Reading season ticketholder I know said "terrible" and laughed when he was signed. Chapman is promising but still at the bottom of his learning curve. The full backs are defensively suspect and offer nothing going forward. There is a total lack of pace from back to front and much less aerial threat than most teams have in this league. I don't see this lot finishing above mid-table.

People on here , notably Chaddy (!!) were talking up our summer recruitment. To me Mowbray signed a load of bang average utility players or certainly players who could allegedly play a number of positions. For starters he signs Dack for £750k and blows most of his own budget on one player that can't play in a central midfield 2, isn't a winger and isn't an out and out striker. So where does he play and why sign him?  And therein lies my problem. Mowbray is such a conservative manager that he seems obsessed with this stupid no 10 role.

Any team in this division with Graham and Samuel as your front 2 central strikers would cause damage and would score goals. He doesn't want to play 2 up top for some bizarre reason. Get any 2 of Conway/Bennett/Chapman in wide positions serving these 2 and we will score goals and win matches . Presumably that means Evans and Smallwood as his central midfield pairing which is fine . But rather than cover in that system he signs the likes of Dack,Gladwin, Whittingham , Antonsson who simply aren't like for like. This tells me he hasn't a clue what system he wants to play. Thus we end up with no shape and no idea.

Manager is sadly lacking IMO and his own uncertainty and confusion over what he is trying to do is very evident on the pitch. This isn't quite so obvious away from home where he can be a little more cautious I suppose but when we have to unlock teams at home or chase the game it very quickly becomes a total hotchpotch.

Like Darrenrover says above, ffs we are Blackburn Rovers in League one with the biggest budget .So come on Mowbray , grow some nads and start setting up with 2 strikers and go and blow these very average teams off the bloody park. Forget about all this ''no 10'' @#/?.

2 hours ago, TBTF said:

grow some nads and start setting up with 2 strikers and go and blow these very average teams off the bloody park.    

We've started 442 with two upfront every game since Doncaster, haven't we?

We may be very average ourselves though, the jury is still out. 

The reason we lose is because the players don't put a shift in. We have been playing 4-4-2, which is probably best. It is amazing some fans comment about starting 2 upfront like they haven't even looked at the last few starting line ups. 

The next home game I would put Graham on for Samuel and Dack and Chapman on for Bennett and Conway. 

3 hours ago, TBTF said:

People on here , notably Chaddy (!!) were talking up our summer recruitment. To me Mowbray signed a load of bang average utility players or certainly players who could allegedly play a number of positions. For starters he signs Dack for £750k and blows most of his own budget on one player that can't play in a central midfield 2, isn't a winger and isn't an out and out striker. So where does he play and why sign him?  And therein lies my problem. Mowbray is such a conservative manager that he seems obsessed with this stupid no 10 role.

Any team in this division with Graham and Samuel as your front 2 central strikers would cause damage and would score goals. He doesn't want to play 2 up top for some bizarre reason. Get any 2 of Conway/Bennett/Chapman in wide positions serving these 2 and we will score goals and win matches . Presumably that means Evans and Smallwood as his central midfield pairing which is fine . But rather than cover in that system he signs the likes of Dack,Gladwin, Whittingham , Antonsson who simply aren't like for like. This tells me he hasn't a clue what system he wants to play. Thus we end up with no shape and no idea.

Manager is sadly lacking IMO and his own uncertainty and confusion over what he is trying to do is very evident on the pitch. This isn't quite so obvious away from home where he can be a little more cautious I suppose but when we have to unlock teams at home or chase the game it very quickly becomes a total hotchpotch.

Like Darrenrover says above, ffs we are Blackburn Rovers in League one with the biggest budget .So come on Mowbray , grow some nads and start setting up with 2 strikers and go and blow these very average teams off the bloody park. Forget about all this ''no 10'' @#/?.

We have been playing 2 up front in recent games. Have you not been watching? 

The sunmer recruitment was good Imo but it takes time for the squad to gel. We played 7 games and already ppl on here are in full moan mode already. Rovers players seem to perform better away from home. 

I would like to see Dack in behind Samuel with Bennett and Chapman wide for the next game. 

Graham has been poor so far this season and thats why he hasnt started recently. Done owt on Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have been playing 2 up front in recent games. Have you not been watching? 

The sunmer recruitment was good Imo but it takes time for the squad to gel. We played 7 games and already ppl on here are in full moan mode already. Rovers players seem to perform better away from home. 

I would like to see Dack in behind Samuel with Bennett and Chapman wide for the next game

Graham has been poor so far this season and thats why he hasnt started recently. Done owt on Saturday. 

I do think we need to start getting Dack on the field more.

It's whether you go 4-4-1-1 and risk isolating the lone front man or go 4-2-3-1 and risk not being able to match up against an opposition 4-4-2.

No point in putting him on and just sticking him out wide just for the sake of getting him on the pitch.

I'm thinking (on a much lesser scale but that's where Rovers are anyway) that Dack gets the "free" role that Dunn flourished in when Allardyce was here.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The sunmer recruitment was good Imo but it takes time for the squad to gel. We played 7 games and already ppl on here are in full moan mode already. Rovers players seem to perform better away from home

We've played 10 games if you include first team fixtures vs Coventry, Burnley and Stoke. Add in the pre-season schedule and we've played 16. With the exceptions of Harper and Downing who didn't arrive until the last day of the window all the players have had time to settle in now.

So lets stop with the excuses.

Our starting line up on Saturday featured 4 people who weren't at the club last season - Caddis, Smallwood, Antonsson and Samuel - all 4 have had pre-season and numerous games to 'gel'. Other arrivals sat on the bench.

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Summer recruitment doesn't look very good chadster even TM must think not with only four recruitees starting Saturday.. One Caddis was released by Bury yes no disrespect Bury and it showed why... 

Can't believe Evans hasn't really been criticised by anyone on here, he was absolutely awful on Saturday (and has been for the vast majority of his time here). Caddis is also a real bad 'un, as are Ward and Antonsson. Those are the 4 changes I would make for the next game. In home games, I would play this:

Raya

Travis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Chapman Bennett Smallwood Conway

Dack

Samuel/Graham

In away games, I would play:

Raya

Bennett Harper Smallwood Conway

Dack

Samuel/Graham

From what I've seen of the u23s, Travis is the best of a really good bunch and if he can't get a chance in League 1 when the players ahead of him are awful, we might as well shut down the academy.

I'd give Harper a chance, but if he's not great we could put Tomlinson/Hardcastle in and they'd both do a better job than Evans.

13 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Can't believe Evans hasn't really been criticised by anyone on here, he was absolutely awful on Saturday (and has been for the vast majority of his time here). Caddis is also a real bad 'un, as are Ward and Antonsson. Those are the 4 changes I would make for the next game. In home games, I would play this:

Raya

Dack

Samuel/Graham

Raya

Dack

Samuel/Graham

From what I've seen of the u23s, Travis is the best of a really good bunch and if he can't get a chance in League 1 when the players ahead of him are awful, we might as well shut down the academy.

I'd give Harper a chance, but if he's not great we could put Tomlinson/Hardcastle in and they'd both do a better job than Evans.

Why Bennett center midfield when we have numerous other options there? The guy is not a center midfielder. I would have Tomlinson, Whittingham, Harper and Evans ahead of him in no particular order. 

Travis looks a player, don't really understand why Nyambe is ahead of him with regards the first team. Purely down to size? 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Raya

Dack

Samuel/Graham

Raya

Dack

Samuel/Graham

Good shout on Evans. Very over-rated in general and on Saturday he looked like Lowe mark 2. I think he's been ok, but nothing earth shattering, in other games though.

I worry he's one of "Bowyer's babes" who win a game then think their work for the rest of the month is done.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why Bennett center midfield when we have numerous other options there? The guy is not a center midfielder. I would have Tomlinson, Whittingham, Harper and Evans ahead of him in no particular order. 

Travis looks a player, don't really understand why Nyambe is ahead of him with regards the first team. Purely down to size? 

I think Bennett has all the tools to be a good centre midfielder, he works hard, can put a tackle in, and is pretty calm on the ball, he strikes me as the type of player that can play anywhere and give you a 6/7 out of 10 every game. Mowbray has put him in CM against Burnley and Wimbledon when we were looking for a goal and he's looked decent.

I'm not too sure either, Travis is much better than Nyambe technically but I suppose Nyambe is built like a brick sh1thouse, Nyambe is a year or two older as well. But Travis looks a real player to me, quick, seems solid defensively and can put in a great cross, give him a chance!

Just now, RV Blue said:

I think Bennett has all the tools to be a good centre midfielder, he works hard, can put a tackle in, and is pretty calm on the ball, he strikes me as the type of player that can play anywhere and give you a 6/7 out of 10 every game. Mowbray has put him in CM against Burnley and Wimbledon when we were looking for a goal and he's looked decent.

I'm not too sure either, Travis is much better than Nyambe technically but I suppose Nyambe is built like a brick sh1thouse, Nyambe is a year or two older as well. But Travis looks a real player to me, quick, seems solid defensively and can put in a great cross, give him a chance!

I think young players are protected from first team football too much these days. Jesus our under 23s could not be any worse in some games. Give them a chance is right! 

Just now, RV Blue said:

And there's a good chance he'll be playing in the World Cup next year, that O'Neil must he a great manager!

He is. N.I are far better than the sum of their parts. If we got back to the Championship I would be making a serious attempt to get him in as our manager. The guy got Shamrock rovers into the Europa league. How he is doing with N.I isnt surprising. 

Archived