BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

O'Neil is the kind of positive enthusiastic driving force of a manager needed at Rovers, something that's been missing for a long long time. Zero chance of him obviously but going back a while someone like him shouldn't have been out of reach to a club like Blackburn Rovers who have billionaire (ahem) owners who I believe could've been allowed to recruit and pay a manager without it affecting FFP

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, tomphil said:

O'Neil is the kind of positive enthusiastic driving force of a manager needed at Rovers, something that's been missing for a long long time. Zero chance of him obviously but going back a while someone like him shouldn't have been out of reach to a club like Blackburn Rovers who have billionaire (ahem) owners who I believe could've been allowed to recruit and pay a manager without it affecting FFP

Driven with incredible attention to detail. Shamrock Rovers and Northern Ireland performances under him are not luck.  I think a Championship team will be very happy when one eventually seriously goes in for him. 

I still have some faith in Mowbray because he is very experienced and he's altered things for the better once before after he had a hand in the balls up of the first 2 and I don't think you win four on the bounce hardly conceding by fluke.

Next few games are humungous in terms of keeping in touch with the top and there are some seriously tricky tests coming up so he needs to get them regrouped sharpish.

Just now, tomphil said:

I still have some faith in Mowbray because he is very experienced and he's altered things for the better once before after he had a hand in the balls up of the first 2 and I don't think you win four on the bounce hardly conceding by fluke.

Next few games are humungous in terms of keeping in touch with the top and there are some seriously tricky tests coming up so he needs to get them regrouped sharpish.

Mowbray certainly is experienced but his last league one adventure record actually doesn't exactly  fill you with confidence 

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Driven with incredible attention to detail. Shamrock Rovers and Northern Ireland performances under him are not luck.  I think a Championship team will be very happy when one eventually seriously goes in for him. 

Carry on the way he's going and it might be the Premier League. Leicester were linked with him after getting rid of Ranieri. Sort of manager the dingles would go for when Dyche eventually packs his bags and clears off.

Just now, JHRover said:

Carry on the way he's going and it might be the Premier League. Leicester were linked with him after getting rid of Ranieri. Sort of manager the dingles would go for when Dyche eventually packs his bags and clears off.

He is alright. Practical ,hardworking, very tactically astute and all about results. Whats not to like 

16 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Mowbray certainly is experienced but his last league one adventure record actually doesn't exactly  fill you with confidence 

Yeah that's the other side of the coin that does worry and ok it was Coventry with their problems but outside  people will make the same excuse for Coyle at Blackburn. Generally speaking if a managers not on it he's not on it whatever surroundings.

Overall he does strike me as another steady Eddie, will win enough to be competitive so long as it's a strong squad but maybe not enough to get you anywhere. Next 3 or 4 will shape the season I think, i'm not really one of these oh it's ok we were nearly bottom in Oct 79 but got promoted in 2nd  Not sure those kind of things are possible in todays football and besides look at the calibre of guy it took to masterminded that rise.

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He had a cracking run at Coventry a couple of years ago. Ultimately came to nowt, then left them bottom and winless the following season.

4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

He had a cracking run at Coventry a couple of years ago. Ultimately came to nowt, then left them bottom and winless the following season.

That run didn't even get them in the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Worrying but he does at least have a strong bench to freshen things up from and start justifying some of the permanent signings he's made.

A few times of late he's uttered words along the lines of 'I'd get hammered if I did that or played that formation etc'

Really worries me if he thinks like that and doesnt have the confidence or balls to play how he wants to play.

You try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no one. Then you end up out of work with a list of massive regrets.

I think the next 2 games will show if thats true or not.

Does anyone actually rate Mowbray anymore? It doesn't seem like it, I certainly don't. I think he'll be gone sooner rather than later, unless we have another Kean situation on our hands where the manager is un-sackable because he's too close to the owners, but I think he's too honourable for that. I think it's quite clear that he's tactically inept and he cocked up the last transfer window, signing players for big bucks and not even using a formation that they can play in. I'd give him a few more games but if we're going along like we are now, we must act fast and sack him before it's too late to get promoted. I reckon a decent manager would get this squad up with ease, even the players on the bench would walk into 95% of sides in this division.

Next I'd go all out to get Rosler in from Fleetwood, he'd surely snap our hands off. If not I would give it Johnson with Dunn as his assistant, I really rate him.

15 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Does anyone actually rate Mowbray anymore? It doesn't seem like it, I certainly don't. I think he'll be gone sooner rather than later, unless we have another Kean situation on our hands where the manager is un-sackable because he's too close to the owners, but I think he's too honourable for that. I think it's quite clear that he's tactically inept and he cocked up the last transfer window, signing players for big bucks and not even using a formation that they can play in. I'd give him a few more games but if we're going along like we are now, we must act fast and sack him before it's too late to get promoted. I reckon a decent manager would get this squad up with ease, even the players on the bench would walk into 95% of sides in this division.

Next I'd go all out to get Rosler in from Fleetwood, he'd surely snap our hands off. If not I would give it Johnson with Dunn as his assistant, I really rate him.

I'd be in favour of giving Johnson a go if Mowbray got potted but id leave Dunn with the youngsters and would hope an experienced assistant be brought in to work alongside Johnson. I'm still hoping Mowbray can prove his worth but whenever we go behind I don't have any faith in him having a plan to get us back in the game

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'd be in favour of giving Johnson a go if Mowbray got potted but id leave Dunn with the youngsters and would hope an experienced assistant be brought in to work alongside Johnson. I'm still hoping Mowbray can prove his worth but whenever we go behind I don't have any faith in him having a plan to get us back in the game

Yeah, good shout.

8 hours ago, Biz said:

We've started 442 with two upfront every game since Doncaster, haven't we?

I am not seeing Antonsson as an out and out striker -either that or he isn't that good. I know he has notched a couple but as the traditional central striker I don't see him as that really. Looks like he wants to play in behind -almost this no 10 role that does my head in.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have been playing 2 up front in recent games. Have you not been watching? 

The sunmer recruitment was good Imo but it takes time for the squad to gel. We played 7 games and already ppl on here are in full moan mode already. Rovers players seem to perform better away from home. 

I would like to see Dack in behind Samuel with Bennett and Chapman wide for the next game. 

Graham has been poor so far this season and thats why he hasnt started recently. Done owt on Saturday. 

That's my point Chaddy-you want to see Dack in behind ie behind a one striker. My point is that we should be playing 2  up top centrally.

As for recruitment -well its all about opinions. Half of what he signed in Summer cant get in the side because they are all too similar .Whittingham, Gladwin, Dack, Chapman, Hart even.

Graham without doubt is good enough to get a bagful in this league. Its the managers job to get him right. Actually though things pepped up when he came on on Saturday.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I think that sort of talk is extremely harsh. Take out the first 2 games when the players appeared to think they only had to turn up to win and we've won four out of five.

I'm not completely convinced yet TM is the man to deliver automatic promotion. On the other hand I'm not completely convinced he's not. Were we to fall miles off the pace then that would obviously be a completely different matter.

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think that sort of talk is extremely harsh. Take out the first 2 games when the players appeared to think they only had to turn up to win and we've won four out of five.

I'm not completely convinced yet TM is the man to deliver automatic promotion. On the other hand I'm not completely convinced he's not. Were we to fall miles off the pace then that would obviously be a completely different matter.

A fair summary.

I would love him to be the one to succeed, but.....

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought he should have kept us up last season, so my post wasn't completely based on this season. I like Mowbray as a person, but since he's been here he has shown me nothing to suggest he's a good manager. If we're outside the top 6 in 5 more games I would get rid.

• Backroom

A loss against Shrewsbury on Saturday would mean we've lost 50% of our opening 8 games. I don't think anybody can argue that is totally unacceptable considering our squad and wage bill. Mowbray's a top bloke by all accounts and I don't think anybody has a bad word to say about him on a personal level, but the fact we're 11th despite getting 12 points out of our last 15 tells you enough about how poorly we started the season. 

Getting three points on Saturday would be huge, and I hope we can rise to the occasion. Can't say I'm confident but I'd like nothing more than for Mowbray to succeed, as he's a nice guy. We need a good manager along with that, though, and he still has it all to prove imo. 

6 hours ago, DE. said:

A loss against Shrewsbury on Saturday would mean we've lost 50% of our opening 8 games. I don't think anybody can argue that is totally unacceptable considering our squad and wage bill. Mowbray's a top bloke by all accounts and I don't think anybody has a bad word to say about him on a personal level, but the fact we're 11th despite getting 12 points out of our last 15 tells you enough about how poorly we started the season. 

Getting three points on Saturday would be huge, and I hope we can rise to the occasion. Can't say I'm confident but I'd like nothing more than for Mowbray to succeed, as he's a nice guy. We need a good manager along with that, though, and he still has it all to prove imo. 

Not sure if this is a symptom of the Venky disease or lack of belief in the manager/squad but when we are not confident of going into a game against Shrewsbury, it's incredibly alarming.

But I'm not confident either.

Next few games says it all Imo.

If we keep the form of win 4 lose 1 for the rest of the season then fine - we'll be in a good position. Hopefully the first 2 games were misjudgements from TM and the players and Wimbledon was a "one off" in the current style and strategy.

However if it's 4 wins in every 7 that's not really good enough. We need promotion and if that's the level we're hitting under TM he needs to go. Promotion is essential - if our championship experience taught us anything then it's the danger of relying on another year.

So for me in the next 5 games we've lost a couple or not secured a healthy number of wins - say 11 pts from 15 - he's got to go.

I really want him to succeed he seems a solid guy. But comments like not having the tools to beat Wimbledon and buying numerous players who don't fit in the team are beginning to wear me down.

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Next few games says it all Imo.

If we keep the form of win 4 lose 1 for the rest of the season then fine - we'll be in a good position. Hopefully the first 2 games were misjudgements from TM and the players and Wimbledon was a "one off" in the current style and strategy.

However if it's 4 wins in every 7 that's not really good enough. We need promotion and if that's the level we're hitting under TM he needs to go. Promotion is essential - if our championship experience taught us anything then it's the danger of relying on another year.

So for me in the next 5 games we've lost a couple or not secured a healthy number of wins - say 11 pts from 15 - he's got to go.

I really want him to succeed he seems a solid guy. But comments like not having the tools to beat Wimbledon and buying numerous players who don't fit in the team are beginning to wear me down.

Four wins out of seven games would be far more acceptable had we at least drawn a couple but the pressure is really on particularly with Mowbray already saying we have lost too many games already. If the players attitude isn't right from the first minute in future games I can see the lost column being more than the won. It's a big couple of weeks for us with three games in seven days from starting on Saturday.

Just now, arbitro said:

Four wins out of seven games would be far more acceptable had we at least drawn a couple but the pressure is really on particularly with Mowbray already saying we have lost too many games already. If the players attitude isn't right from the first minute in future games I can see the lost column being more than the won. It's a big couple of weeks for us with three games in seven days from starting on Saturday.

Absolutely - a few draws would make the table and results much more palatable. However, I fear this highlights another trait of this team - we're very boom or bust. When the plan works it works, when it doesn't we don't have plan B a way of getting back into games. This is really odd as we have a load of different options on the bench.

Archived