BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:10, 47er said:

It may become necessary to sack Mowbray but is there anyone out there who believes that our hapless owners would then make the right appointment?

One disaster after another with them. They appoint someone on the cheap, then expect them to perform miracles.

They probably treat all their serfs in the same way.

That's the problem isn't it? Rock and a hard place with our owners.

If TM isn't capable of getting us promoted (which we utterly need asap) then would the chancers get in anyone better. They could in al likelihood make the situation even worse. But then IF TM doesn't look like he's going to get us promotion what's the point in keeping him around?

Often with us it's stick with someone who won't do the job or gamble on the tiny chance we get someone good enough in. Not a good call either way.

Mind you, we're not at that juncture just yet TM may still turn it round. 5 games for me. We can't end up with almost and not quite and nearly there that'll cost us a good shot at promotion like we did with Bowyer. Either the next 5 games TM and the team kick on or we need to reassess our options.

TM saying the current squad constructed from players he previously managed or who played well against 'his' teams. More work will be done on squad construction in future.

WTF is he on about?

He get's a new contract after cuddles in Pune, get's his budget, has plenty of time to plan and now admits doing it the easy way.

He also kept on and on during the Transfer window about how busy he was.

His one task imo was to put together a squad for first time automatic promotion and he was given the tools to do it.

He's a feckin Walter Mitty and his interviews become stranger by the day.

Yesterday he carefully distanced himself from the Conway injury fiasco.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15550804._I_have_managed_under_pressure_and_expectation_before____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_on_the_challenges_of_management/?ref=mac

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

TM saying the current squad constructed from players he previously managed or who played well against 'his' teams. More work will be done on squad construction in future.

WTF is he on about?

He get's a new contract after cuddles in Pune, get's his budget, has plenty of time to plan and now admits doing it the easy way.

He also kept on and on during the Transfer window about how busy he was.

He's a feckin Walter Mitty.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15550804._I_have_managed_under_pressure_and_expectation_before____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_on_the_challenges_of_management/?ref=mac

I think what he is saying is that he had to build an entirely new team in a short space of time - that meant that a prolonged scouting mission on each player wasn't possible. He saw the positions he missed and went for what he knew on the basis they provide a solid foundation on which to build. Poorly worded by him but a correct summary nonetheless.

He has been dealt a tough hand in that he has been given a threadbare squad and a small budget, albeit large for this league, in which to build a title winning side. On top of that the bookies made us firm favourites to achieve this so TM was really put under pressure. We don't exactly have a board in place reasonable enough to understand this dilemma either so time for him is limited; he knows this, we know this and he's already seemingly putting in place his reasons for what would be considered by many as a 'failure'.

26 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

That's the problem isn't it? Rock and a hard place with our owners.

If TM isn't capable of getting us promoted (which we utterly need asap) then would the chancers get in anyone better. They could in al likelihood make the situation even worse. But then IF TM doesn't look like he's going to get us promotion what's the point in keeping him around?

Often with us it's stick with someone who won't do the job or gamble on the tiny chance we get someone good enough in. Not a good call either way.

Mind you, we're not at that juncture just yet TM may still turn it round. 5 games for me. We can't end up with almost and not quite and nearly there that'll cost us a good shot at promotion like we did with Bowyer. Either the next 5 games TM and the team kick on or we need to reassess our options.

With Kean it was definitely "don't care if they appoint the local postman I want that vile piece of **** out of our club."

I don't feel anything remotely like that about Mowbray.

If they did sack him, it probably wouldn't be about results anyway and I have no faith in the integrity of any selection process that has Balaji at the end of it.

Having said that I also doubt that Mowbray is the one to get the best out of these players.

Rock and hard place indeed

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think what he is saying is that he had to build an entirely new team in a short space of time - that meant that a prolonged scouting mission on each player wasn't possible. He saw the positions he missed and went for what he knew on the basis they provide a solid foundation on which to build. Poorly worded by him but a correct summary nonetheless.

He has been dealt a tough hand in that he has been given a threadbare squad and a small budget, albeit large for this league, in which to build a title winning side. On top of that the bookies made us firm favourites to achieve this so TM was really put under pressure. We don't exactly have a board in place reasonable enough to understand this dilemma either so time for him is limited; he knows this, we know this and he's already seemingly putting in place his reasons for what would be considered by many as a 'failure'.

I do agree the he is planning to cover 'failure'. He has got himself in the rock and hard place.

I think Mowbray is being pretty honest again there basically saying he had to throw a squad together quickly again so went mostly down the safety route of guys he knows one way or another. At least he talks straight instead of riddles and hyperbole waffle with the odd outright lie in a blatant attempt to deflect from the real answers to questions like he guy before him.

That much I can respect although as the weeks pass more and more ground for excuses is getting laid it seems, most of them do that though.

On 9/20/2017 at 22:24, Tom said:

I don't fully disagree, it's just this season has a real 'one shot' feel about it for me, think if we are to escape this league it will have to be this season.

If after 10 games we are a long way off the pace and losing the pack it would be fair to at least review the situation.

I believe we have the best players in this league and enough of them so it's down to the manager to get the most out of them.

Lets hope we can pick up another couple of quick wins, improve our position and this talk gets knocked on the head, everyone wins then.

Hmm until the next defeat. This is going to rumble on and on this season.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:17, JHRover said:

I don't even think we've got those any more. Suhail exists in name and a few photos only and conveniently cannot be directly linked to anything at the club. I do wonder how he is allowed to sit in the directors box at games if he isn't a director.

Cheston has gone quiet this summer after the embarrassment of last season so we've only got Mowbray now.

not sure Cheston was even involved in bring in transfers? didn't Slivester work with Mowbray in bring in players and contracts

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:14, Dunnfc said:

Defeat Shrewsbury and a competent board would publically release a vote of confidence instead we've got suhail and mike cheston.

Don't need a board to give a vote of confidence do we? it changes nothing so complete and utter waste of time

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:55, Tom said:

I think we would have all thought that being judged after 10 games would be fair enough before the season.

I still think that's fair, 7 points from the next 3 should see us in the play off spots and not too far from the top two, if we lose further ground then the mountain gets bigger and bigger to the point that hope could be gone by Christmas.

We can keep pointing to Sheffield United but the fact remains that promotion would be a more likely outcome had we the points of Shrewsbury or Wigan.

If Mowbray isn't the man then who is? That's another dilemma, the likely choice would be Johnson whether he's ready or not.

I don't think 10 games is fair and why not give him the season? as long as we are top 2 by end of the season that is all that matters

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:29, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you think De Boer was sacked too soon?

no I didn't cos they were massive problems between the players, board and him. plus the transfer recruitment process was a shambles 

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:34, Dunnfc said:

Stephen Horner HSH Sports 

Directors Horner, Sheron & Honeyman you may remember these guys from SEM

Lambert - Horner

Coyle - Sheron

Sure Mowbray is HSH too.

how sure are you of this? 

Is Lambert's agent Horner? 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:48, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't agree with the second part, ineptitude not conspiracy is my belief. However the first part I have to admit creeps into my mind. Cook at Wigan came there on the back of success, the last time Mowbray had success is in the history books.

Can anyone think of a manager who went nearly 10 years without success and then achieved it again? 

not sure how any manager can have success unless they are given a proper chance and stop this rush culture of sacking managers and given them a season to prove themselves until they have lost the dressing room or results are very poor

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

very true and I agree, 

Planning for this season was being done by Paul Senior the main man running the club recruitment and Mowbray being part of the process but not the main man, 

so From middle of May Mowbray took over this recruitment side of the club. I think Mowbray was help by Mark Venus and Tommy Johnson in the recruitment process but not sure how many were proper scouting tbh

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

not sure how any manager can have success unless they are given a proper chance and stop this rush culture of sacking managers and given them a season to prove themselves

Yet you think it was right to sack De Boer after 4 games!

I don't think 10 games is fair and why not give him the season? as long as we are top 2 by end of the season that is all that matters

Yep, as long as we go up, that is all that matters. But what if we're mid table halfway through (or even earlier, given that we need to go up this season) the season, unable to put any sort of run together and still having results like the Wimbledon one. We couldn't afford to give him the season then...

no I didn't cos they were massive problems between the players, board and him. plus the transfer recruitment process was a shambles 

not sure how any manager can have success unless they are given a proper chance and stop this rush culture of sacking managers and given them a season to prove themselves

You are just a whirlwind of contradiction Mr Chadster......

12 minutes ago, frosty said:

Yet you think it was right to sack De Boer after 4 games. 

Look at my post above which I clearly outlined why De Boer was right to be sacked and such a poor appointment. 

It was complete mess behind the scenes. Players, board and manager not getting from.day 1. Training wasnt good, atmosphere behind the scenes was rock bottom, disagreement over recruitment, and Signing Sakho which De boer didnt want. 

Thats isnt the case here. Mowbray is in control of footballing matters. Said Lenihan and Mulgrew wouldnt be sold and he was right. He was signing his own choice of players. Players are happy and we have a good team spirit. 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at my post above which I clearly outlined why De Boer was right to be sacked and such a poor appointment. 

It was complete mess behind the scenes. Players, board and manager not getting from.day 1. Training wasnt good, atmosphere behind the scenes was rock bottom, disagreement over recruitment, and Signing Sakho which De boer didnt want. 

Thats isnt the case here. Mowbray is in control of footballing matters. Said Lenihan and Mulgrew wouldnt be sold and he was right. He was signing his own choice of players. Players are happy and we have a good team spirit. 

Yet you were quite happy to let Coyle carry on for ever. You couldn't even lie straight in bed

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The only reason they weren't sold in my opinion was that Lenihan was carrying a mystery injury and nobody came in with a serious offer for Mulgrew.  Or Graham for that matter.

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The only reason they weren't sold in my opinion was that Lenihan was carrying a mystery injury and nobody came in with a serious offer for Mulgrew.  Or Graham for that matter.

well we will have to agree to disagree on this. 

Mowbray did say after the Pune trip that nobody would be sold unless he wanted it to happen

well we will have to agree to disagree on this. 

Mowbray did say after the Pune trip that nobody would be sold unless he wanted it to happen

I really would love to know why you have so much faith in Mowbray?Where does your faith in him come from?Honestly chaddyrovers I can't take your opinion on anything Rovers seriously you speak with blue and white glasses all the time.I get that your a positive person but still some of the stuff you come out with is silly.I remember you giving this massive speech about why Gary Bowyer was the right man for the job and then the minute he was sacked you where first on here posting excitedly about your shortlist for the next manager,it would be the same if Mowbray left in morning

Big day for him in seven league games 3 defeats which is unacceptable for a club of Rovers in league one. Wage bill massive compared to anyone else including Wigan, naive tactically and the football a side ways passing fest with a lump forward creating a further dire product. Win today or he better go and take the rubbish he's brought in with him on his way out.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Big day for him in seven league games 3 defeats which is unacceptable for a club of Rovers in league one. Wage bill massive compared to anyone else including Wigan, naive tactically and the football a side ways passing fest with a lump forward creating a further dire product. Win today or he better go and take the rubbish he's brought in with him on his way out.

Couldn't disagree more. If you'd sooner roll the venkys dice and pay off a load of players we've just spent money on, I'd suggest choosing another sport to follow as this one seems incomprehensible to you.

Just now, Biz said:

Couldn't disagree more. If you'd sooner roll the venkys dice and pay off a load of players we've just spent money on, I'd suggest choosing another sport to follow as this one seems incomprehensible to you.

I wouldn't have allowed him to bring them in. it was clear as day when he went for Whittingham that a 2 year deal was a significant risk the club should not be taking. Sorry if we can't loan sell them on then the club will yes have to pay them off, i did warn about this in summer so perhaps I'm following the right sport if I'm proactive enough to see it before it developed. 

Perhaps respect another opinion as opposed to getting personal maybe?

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

I wouldn't have allowed him to bring them in. it was clear as day when he went for Whittingham that a 2 year deal was a significant risk the club should not be taking. Sorry if we can't loan sell them on then the club will yes have to pay them off, i did warn about this in summer so perhaps I'm following the right sport if I'm proactive enough to see it before it developed. 

Perhaps respect another opinion as opposed to getting personal maybe?

I do respect opinions, but I'm honest. If I see someone talking absolute guff I will point it out.

Today is the 8th league game of the season, and you're already suggesting binning off several players and the manager if we don't beat the "form team" of the division.

If you don't like to be questioned, don't post content that is completely bereft of any gravitas.

1 minute ago, Biz said:

I do respect opinions, but I'm honest. If I see someone talking absolute guff I will point it out.

Today is the 8th league game of the season, and you're already suggesting binning off several players and the manager if we don't beat the "form team" of the division.

If you don't like to be questioned, don't post content that is completely bereft of any gravitas.

Instead of trying to come across intellectual why don't you discuss or debate the content of the post as opposed to saying follow another sport? I don't mind being questioned at all that's the beauty of discussion but to get flippant is ugly and that's why I called you out on that.

Anyways.....

Lose today and that's 4 defeats in 8 league games or 5/10 in all competitions. That's enough to be heading out the door especially given the stature of Rovers in this league. No excuses, standards and supporters demands must be raised and stop settling for 2nd best all the time. We can't afford for a ten point lead to become thirteen today and set ourselves something of a mountain to climb so early in.

Archived