BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Just now, RV Blue said:

You have a habit of arguing against a point that the person you are replying to isn't making... I said that the people I go to Rovers with (8 of us yesterday) and the people in the pub after the game agreed that he is useless, not that he should be sacked. The majority of posters on here aren't saying that they rate Mowbray, they are saying that he shouldn't be sacked after a win (an understandable position), I disagree though for the reasons I have stated above.

So...they think that he is useless, but that he shouldn't be sacked :wacko: I don't understand

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Finishing 6th is only any good IF it is then followed by progression to Wembley and a win in the final. If we finish 6th then get beat by Peterborough or Shrewsbury in the play-offs then have to prepare for another year at this level with budgets slashed and players sold and an entire squad rebuild then it isn't success. Its the start of another slippery slope IMO.

Finishing 6th would be a miracle compared with where I expected us to be, namely out of business and having to re-form and start again in a very minor league.  

The choice is stick or twist.  If you gamble and twist, you are putting your faith in the owners to select a high calibre manager.  Just like they have the last xx times, and then persuade the high calibre manager to come, then assess the squad quickly, and get the support of the owners for any new investment or player retention or player sales.  If the gamble fails, then it's even more freefall.

Changing managers for any club is a huge gamble, but a much bigger gamble for Rovers. 

Just now, Biz said:

Makes no difference, using 18 games of last season to help your point is churlish. You've shown yourself up, completely.

You what? I've shown myself up by using games our manager has managed us in as a basis for judging his managerial ability? ? The strangest post I've ever seen on here. Mowbray should have kept us up last season and he didn't, he F-ed up against Preston, Bristol City, and Barnsley off the top of my head.

Just now, Kettledrum said:

Finishing 6th would be a miracle compared with where I expected us to be, namely out of business and having to re-form and start again in a very minor league.  

The choice is stick or twist.  If you gamble and twist, you are putting your faith in the owners to select a high calibre manager.  Just like they have the last xx times, and then persuade the high calibre manager to come, then assess the squad quickly, and get the support of the owners for any new investment or player retention or player sales.  If the gamble fails, then it's even more freefall.

Changing managers for any club is a huge gamble, but a much bigger gamble for Rovers. 

I don't seek a change in manager at this point. However I don't accept 6th is something to celebrate or is good enough so it annoys me when people come on here saying 'we're in the top 6 so all is well with the world' when really it doesn't mean very much if we can't kick on further up 

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So...they think that he is useless, but that he shouldn't be sacked :wacko: I don't understand

Are you familiar with Venky’s?

The inference is they don’t rate Venky’s, but they don’t have faith in them to replace him with anyone better....

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could say that sacking him after a win sends out the wrong message, you could say that it puts off potential managers from wanting the job, I disagree but it is an argument. If we get beat at Oldham, I guarantee that the majority opinion on here would be in favour of sacking him.

13 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I can count the games we played well in on one hand.

We made this mistake complaining about Big Sam didn't we?

For me, a play off place isn't instantly good enough. We must be in the top two. Ten games in, despite us looking lightweight at times, I think the signs are we will get up there. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

@RV Blue:rolleyes:No i'm using the 2 points per game as justification. I said it in the post you quoted.. If you want to put words in my mouth and the argue against something you've just made up then crack on, you don't need me.

And part of the reason we have (nearly) two points per game is because of 3 points yesterday :rolleyes:.

20 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Are you familiar with Venky’s?

The inference is they don’t rate Venky’s, but they don’t have faith in them to replace him with anyone better....

You don't have any idea why they don't want him sacked. That is a legitimate reason, but you do not know that is why they don't want him sacked. I agree with you on that, but not everyone thinks the same. Some on here think Johnson is next in line and would be happy with that appointment. 

RV said his friends think ToMo is useless, but don't want him sacked. Maybe that is because of fear of who would be next, maybe not. 

Away from this site I've not heard one conversation about Mowbray needing to have us on 'x points by x date or he's got to go'

There was a bit of grumbling about his subs yesterday, but there's certainly no clamour for his removal. We've had some absolute horror managers and these owners are never far from a calamitous decision, so most fans seem happy enough with TM.

23 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

You could say that sacking him after a win sends out the wrong message, you could say that it puts off potential managers from wanting the job, I disagree but it is an argument. If we get beat at Oldham, I guarantee that the majority opinion on here would be in favour of sacking him.

Going game by game , should he/should he not be sacked is one of the things that is ruining football, along with crazy transfer fees. Southend(1st away game) and Doncaster (1st home game) are right offs now IMO. Our players let themselves and the club down, but since then they have worked hard to redeem themselves(barring the Wimbledon game). You couldn't argue with the teams Mowbray picked, the players got caught on the hop as to what to expect in League 1. In the run up to those games Mowbray basically laid out what to expect from the opposition. If we won or drew those games, we would be right up there. Signs since then have definitely being positive imo

Evaluate at the end of October, that is a fair length of time. 

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't have any idea why they don't want him sacked. That is a legitimate reason, but you do not know that is why they don't want him sacked. I agree with you on that, but not everyone thinks the same. Some on here think Johnson is next in line and would be happy with that appointment. 

RV said his friends think ToMo is useless, but don't want him sacked. Maybe that is because of fear of who would be next, maybe not. 

I don’t think he should get the boot based on what has happened so far in fairness.

Though we need to be top 2 at the end of the season. Play offs not good enough.

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I really don't get the play offs as a minimum line of thinking. I honestly dislike the play offs which I believe are a lottery and failure in them can have an adverse effect for a couple of seasons. It has to be top two for me, reaching the play offs would not constitute a successful season in my view.

Anything apart from auto promotion this season is failure and it is what the owners and TM have, more or less, promised.

TEMPORARY SETBACK and similar.

If form since after the first 2 games continues we should be ok. We should however see improvement as the team/squad gels more, so Champions is a legit target.

TM stays ufn.

If we get promoted via the play-offs, you won't find me getting hung up on labelling Mowbray as a "failure". Football is never as simple as who the bookies' favourites are and who they aren't - we, of all fans, should know that on both counts! We just need to go up, and if we do, I'm certainly not going to be looking back and critiquing.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yep, thats what happens when you win. Are you Mrs Desai,  sent back to the future from 2010, and still thinking results don't matter?

So you are using yesterday as part of the justification to not sack him? :huh:

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see Shrewsbury being up there at the end of the season but I couldn't see Leicester winning the Premier League either. There will be other teams that will put runs together. What I'm saying is although our recent results have been good our current form isn't top two form.

How is our current form not top two form? We are second on the form table behind SHrewsbury lol

Just now, JacknOry said:

How is our current form not top two form? We are second on the form table behind SHrewsbury lol

Over how many games? Over the last 5 we aren't and any less than that is a bit pointless.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I agree with both your points. However, when you are averaging 2 points per game you don't sack the manger, or even contemplate it.

But we are not its 1.9 and we all know what a point at the end of a season can do, hence why Ive said we are falling short of the MINIMUM (20pts in 10 games) to grant us promotion from LG1

ID give TM another 10 games to turn it round or should I say improve on recent results we need 21 points from the next 10 games. 7 wins or 6 wins 3 draws etc....

Archived