BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what I mean by us " riding our luck " at the moment. If  Rotherham's " goal " would have stood I could see us being held to a home draw and equally but for Raya's two stunning saves we could have even lost against lowly Gillingham at home. The results are papering over the cracks of our very average form. We can play well, especially if we score first, but not for long enough. 45 minutes is about the best we can manage at the moment.

Has for having a settled team, I wouldn't like to guess what 11 will play in the next game  or more importantly what pattern of play will be used.

We aren't blowing teams apart but I never really expected that. We have more or less had to build a new squad once again and they can't be expected to gel into a team of superstars over night. There are signs of improvement in the fact we can keep onto leads this year, although the quality of the opposition again has to be a reason for this. Gillingham had ample opportunities to draw level but couldn't put the finishing touches onto either decent enough build up play or errors from our defence. Our back 4 is still our weak point and it's starting to irritate me how many managers have come and failed to address this, except Lambert.

The part in bold is a very important point Tyrone. Whilst I do think I could, within a reasonable degree of accuracy, predict our squad for the next game I couldn't tell you how we will play. Against Rotherham we pressed up high, encouraged the long ball which could be mopped up easily but then against Gillingham we stood off and allowed them to enter our half before lumping it into the box. An astoundingly silly tactic considering how tall their CF was. Similarly we exploited the wide areas against Rotherham and was then determined to go through the middle against Gillingham. This has to be on the direction of management otherwise you'd have seen (and heard!!) Tony Mowbray directing them otherwise. It's odd to see him get it so right one game and then revert to a way that could have easily lost us the game only a few days later, with more or less the same starting line up.

It all points to the fact that TM still hasn't decided what our best style of play is. We are 10 games in now and expect to see consistency developing.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was critical about Mowbray getting the job and less than convinced he would be the man to get us out of this Division, (at least in an upward direction!)

However, whilst performances have been largely unconvincing, the bottom line is that, at the present time, he is getting results.

As long as that continues , that is all that matters.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Has for having a settled team, I wouldn't like to guess what 11 will play in the next game  or more importantly what pattern of play will be used.

We have at least 8 or 9 regular players in the starting 11 in the past few games. 

I would say currently we can 9 or 10 players nailed to start next game. Only the left wing slot and centre midfielder role next to Smallwood tbere.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We have at least 8 or 9 regular players in the starting 11 in the past few games. 

I would say currently we can 9 or 10 players nailed to start next game. Only the left wing slot and centre midfielder role next to Smallwood tbere.

Although Caddis has done well in the last two games in the longer term I'd hope to see Nyambe in at rb and I'd also like to see Travis get an opportunity.On the other side I hope to see Hunt or Doyle eventually replace Williams

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We aren't blowing teams apart but I never really expected that. We have more or less had to build a new squad once again and they can't be expected to gel into a team of superstars over night. There are signs of improvement in the fact we can keep onto leads this year, although the quality of the opposition again has to be a reason for this. Gillingham had ample opportunities to draw level but couldn't put the finishing touches onto either decent enough build up play or errors from our defense. Our back 4 is still our weak point and it's starting to irritate me how many managers have come and failed to address this, except Lambert.

Lambert DID NOT address anything. Let alone our defense? In fact in that season his stats of goals conceded was WORSE compared to even Gary Bowyer. Nobody after Sam has been able to address the defensive frailties at all.

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Like your usual utterances, this makes absolutely no sense

Ahh, but by the same token his tactics, starting 11, training, set pieces and choice of signings allowed us to be in a position to win the game. Also, we didn't concede.. so in reality if it's "manager takes responsibility"(which it certainly isn't) he could be lauded for making changes that ultimately earned the points.

I think people who want rid of Mowbray are just completely blind to the scenario we are in, for example those blaming him for relegation must've completely forgot summer 16 and the first 7 months of last season.

I genuinely worry for our fans if they think the solution in this scenario (19 points from 10 games) is "sack the manager".

Your being black and white it's not back or sack its he better bloody improve things as allot are unimpressed. I wanted him gone after Wimbledon, he leaves me uninspired, each game looks a struggle the frequent swapping formations and personnel not just every game but in every game gives the impression he hasn't got a clue how to get us going and only the quality of our squad ATM is seeing us through and getting results.

Judging him from day one he's been quite poor but there is time yet hence he needs to be continually reviewed as some have alluded to above.

4 minutes ago, punerover said:

Lambert DID NOT address anything. Let alone our defense? In fact in that season his stats of goals conceded was WORSE compared to even Gary Bowyer. Nobody after Sam has been able to address the defensive frailties at all.

Lambert was poor but he plugged the defending side far better. He like everyone else was promised the earth and got little from the Indian rats. Compare Bowyer who I bloody adore against Bolton away to Lamberts games and you'll notice that defensiveness in our play. 

Lambert wasn't great but he's better than TM without a doubt. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Although Caddis has done well in the last two games in the longer term I'd hope to see Nyambe in at rb and I'd also like to see Travis get an opportunity.On the other side I hope to see Hunt or Doyle eventually replace Williams

Nyambe I don't think will make it here whilst I thought he was abysmal last year, the sheer difference between leagues should mean he gets another chance. Who knows he might learn more at this level and in a better way ready to become a championship player.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Lambert was poor but he plugged the defending side far better. He like everyone else was promised the earth and got little from the Indian rats. Compare Bowyer who I bloody adore against Bolton away to Lamberts games and you'll notice that defensiveness in our play. 

Lambert wasn't great but he's better than TM without a doubt. 

Lambert indeed got the earth and more at wolves and look how it ended up. Money cant buy you wins. At best Lambert was marginally like 5-10% better than Bowyer.

• Moderation Lead
37 minutes ago, punerover said:

Lambert indeed got the earth and more at wolves and look how it ended up. Money cant buy you wins. At best Lambert was marginally like 5-10% better than Bowyer.

Nonsense. That's not how it was at all. While you're in Pune by the way, tell Venky's to Foxtrot Oscar, will you?

32 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Nyambe I don't think will make it here whilst I thought he was abysmal last year, the sheer difference between leagues should mean he gets another chance. Who knows he might learn more at this level and in a better way ready to become a championship player.

I didn't think Nyambe did badly last year to be honest.He has things to work on no doubt,positionally he can improve but that will come with more experience,he looks nervous at times but all in all I think he is a very good prospect

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Nonsense. That's not how it was at all.

15 million on Helder Costa and 1.4 million on Ben Marshall. That's 16.4 million. And this was during the January transfer window when he was the manager. If reports are to be believed he "invoked a clause" in his contract with us because he wasn't offered 20 million transfer kitty, 16.4 million is pretty close to what he wanted, isn't it? I am sure he wouldn't have done any better if he had got that additional 3.6 million to reach that magical 20 million figure.

Just now, punerover said:

15 million on Helder Costa and 1.4 million on Ben Marshall. That's 16.4 million. And this was during the January transfer window when he was the manager. If reports are to be believed he "invoked a clause" in his contract with us because he wasn't offered 20 million transfer kitty, 16.4 million is pretty close to what he wanted, isn't it? I am sure he wouldn't have done any better if he had got that additional 3.6 million to reach that magical 20 million figure.

Think you may well find Costa was a signing on behalf of agency recommendation to the Wolves foreign  owners and not a Lambert signing 

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, punerover said:

The Costa signing was from above and he was on loan there already. Super Agent Jorge Mendes who is heavily involved there would have had his mucky paws all over that I'm sure you'd agree.

Much interference from above there, though granted the new geezer is doing pretty well so far (having been very heavily backed).

I don't suppose we'll ever know if he was promised that figure or if he demanded it. He was here six months, Bowyer was here 2 and a half years as manager (ignoring the initial caretaker spell for the moment). In any event, I strongly believe if he'd had the 40 goal strike force and squad Bowyer had, he'd have at the very least finished higher than an under-achieving 8th. Imagine people bemoaning a central midfield of Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe when we had a perfectly good central midfielder playing on the right wing. It's amazing how the mind can play tricks on us.

I had to miss Saturday's game but logging on here briefly afterwards to check people's reaction you'd have thought we had lost, not gone 6th with a game in hand.

Take away the first two games (when it seems to me the players were under the mistaken impression that we only had to turn up to win) and since then I think we've done extremely well. Nineteen points from eight games.

It hasn't been perfect, but overall I think we've made a decent start all things considered. I also think Mowbray has done a decent job of recruiting this summer for the level we're at, most of his signings look like they're going to play an important part.

I also keep going on about this but imo Mowbray was left a terrible hand by the last two managers and/or the owners. We've been in decline for a long time now and it's perhaps not surprising that we haven't suddenly started playing like Barcelona and whupping teams 5 or 6 nil overnight. Oil tankers dont turn round overnight. He's had to start laying some long term foundations and I would say there's grounds for cautious optimism.

The only thing I would criticise him on is that I wish would be far more pro-active in giving our youngsters a chance. We don't want the likes of Wharton, Doyle Nuttall and Tomlinson disappearing the way of Mahoney. Overall though as long as we're averaging 2 points a game I dont think there's too much room for complaint.

• Backroom

If our youngsters come good Venky's will just end up selling them anyway, so it doesn't really matter. As long as we're averaging a good points total Mowbray can do as he pleases. It's all about results and points.

Just now, K-Hod said:

The Costa signing was from above and he was on loan there already. Super Agent Jorge Mendes who is heavily involved there would have had his mucky paws all over that I'm sure you'd agree.

Much interference from above there, though granted the new geezer is doing pretty well so far (having been very heavily backed).

I don't suppose we'll ever know if he was promised that figure or if he demanded it. In any event, I strongly believe if he'd had the 40 goal strike force and squad Bowyer had, he'd have at the very least finished higher than an under-achieving 8th. Imagine people bemoaning a central midfield of Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe when we had a perfectly good central midfielder playing on the right wing.

Mental, really.

1. 40 Goals a season argument - We got 40 goals because Bowyer got those goals from Gestede and Rhodes. Surely you would accept that. Look at what goals are being scored by the same players now. Why was Lambert not able to get 40 goals a season from Danny Graham, who is by most standards a more complete striker compared to Rhodes [finisher] and Gestede [Header of ball].
2. Central Midfield argument - Pray tell me what did Lambert do to address this issue? He got that loanie from Swansea or something and Feeney, and everyone would agree none of them are central midfield players.
Agreed Bowyer had limitations but Lambert was only partially better only because we were leaking goals left right and center under him that season. Hence my argument that Lambert was better than Bowyer. But your saying that IF Lambert had this and Lambert had that is same as someone saying if Bowyer had Kean's team to work with he would have done this and done that.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I don't suppose we'll ever know if he was promised that figure or if he demanded it. He was here six months, Bowyer was here 2 and a half years as manager (ignoring the initial caretaker spell for the moment). In any event, I strongly believe if he'd had the 40 goal strike force and squad Bowyer had, he'd have at the very least finished higher than an under-achieving 8th. Imagine people bemoaning a central midfield of Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe when we had a perfectly good central midfielder playing on the right wing. It's amazing how the mind can play tricks on us.

Dress it up all you like. I couldn't really care less what Lambert did at Wolves but for whatever reason they decided he wasn't for them and since he left they've done a lot better.

Whilst he was here he performed marginally better than Bowyer who looked as though he might have taken us down at the point when he was sacked. Without the "new manager bounce" he achieved for 5 games when he took over though there was scarcely any difference between them though.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, punerover said:

1. 40 Goals a season argument - We got 40 goals because Bowyer got those goals from Gestede and Rhodes. Surely you would accept that. Look at what goals are being scored by the same players now. Why was Lambert not able to get 40 goals a season from Danny Graham, who is by most standards a more complete striker compared to Rhodes [finisher] and Gestede [Header of ball].
2. Central Midfield argument - Pray tell me what did Lambert do to address this issue? He got that loanie from Swansea or something and Feeney, and everyone would agree none of them are central midfield players.
Agreed Bowyer had limitations but Lambert was only partially better only because we were leaking goals left right and center under him that season. Hence my argument that Lambert was better than Bowyer. But your saying that IF Lambert had this and Lambert had that is same as someone saying if Bowyer had Kean's team to work with he would have done this and done that.

I'm going to assume the bit in bold is a typo? Graham arrived in January. If one player scored 40 goals a season for us between January and the end of the season, he'd not be here very long.......

I wouldn't even expect Ronaldo or Messi to be that productive in front of goal.....

Jordi Gomez came in and bagged some vital goals (granted he wasn't always that great aside from that.

Archived