BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

9 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Most were in the Rovers team

Not disagreeing bad result for sure win 2 in hand 6pts still out, playoffs looking more likely still early days though, think things are looking healthy in the main need to improve been some silly results so far. Inconsistency is the achillies heel. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously concerned with Mowbray.. more so with how badly the team is performing.. he is struggling yo get their 'heads right' and this is a real worry.. I was very optimistic 're him but right now I'm very concerned... the question I have is.. what are the alternatives??

5 minutes ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

The players are more than good enough for this league. Whether they're motivated, trained and prepared enough for this league is up for question. If that answer remains no, as it is at the minute, then fingers will be pointing at the people paid to motivate, train and prepare them. I.e Mowbray's crew. If we aren't within striking distance of the top 2 by the end  of November, with the players we have and the money we've spent, then Mowbray needs relieving of his position and someone capable of doing that needs bringing in. Personally, and I didn't think I would say this even 6 months ago, but I think Johnson / Dunn might be able to do the job of getting us up in the interim, using some of our U23's and the style of play they have instilled in the youngsters,  and then get a good Championship manager in the Summer. Hopefully Mowbray will sort it before then and we don't have to pray Venkys don't @#/? it up and appoint David Lowe or Wee Dougie though. 

As someone pointed out on twitter Mowbray has often bemoaned lack of time and bodies on the training ground and welcomed the cancellation of games ( which imo will bite us on the ass anyway ) and the opportunity of a few weeks on the grass with most of the squad.

Then they serve up that crock of @#/? between them which is worrying in the extreme for various reasons.

He's had a pre-season and gets most weeks to drill the team. If he can't get it through to the attackers they need to move their fat arses off the ball and get the defenders to get goal side and don't take unnecessary risks, then he should hang up his managers pass and find something else to do like 5 live commentary.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we are 3 points of the playoffs with 2 games in hand. and we haven't played to our level yet. 

The last thing I want to hear all season is how we're 'x points off the playoffs with x games in hand'. We had enough of that in Bowyer's two full seasons when it was obvious we were never going to get in there.

And with a budget/wage budget that dwarfs I imagine pretty much everyone else in this league, only being in touch with the playoffs isn't acceptable I'm afraid, nor is being a staggering 12 points off the top two in mid-October.

And unfortunately I think what we've seen so far in almost every game apart from Rotherham - when we played well - is our level.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The contrast in the demeanour of the two respective managers was very revealing. Wellens was stood on the very edge of his technical area in a track suit constantly shouting instructions to the Oldham  players. He was obviously kicking every ball in his head.

Our guy was stood back in a suit, just watching the game. The only time he got actively involved was during breaks in play when the players came over to the touch line.

And Wellens has only been in charge for four games whilst Mowbray has had hundreds. I accept that when so many players are playing poorly it must be a difficult job but he is far too passive in these situations. 

Nice man,but performances haven't been good enough overall. My biggest concern though is the lack of responsibility he takes every game that we lose. It's always the players fault. Big worry and not acceptable. He either doesnt realise he is to blame or won't admit it 

There was no point or need to start Conway yesterday after being out injured,leaving our key summer signing Dack on the bench. From the reports it sounded like Conway was gassed very early. How would a manager not realise this,especially one with Mowbrays experience 

How we repeatedly show up and are out worked and out fought by the opposition is also frustrating 

He was talking up Bennett to justify his new contract and he's been talking up Conway in the same vein so no guesses what's at play there.

Sod new contracts tell them get promotion and you'll get one and a bonus !

For once this lot including the manager need to earn their over inflated by league 1 standards corn.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

He was talking up Bennett to justify his new contract and he's been talking up Conway in the same vein so no guesses what's at play there.

For once this lot including the manager need to earn their over inflated by league 1 standards corn.

I honestly believe Conway is more of a hindrance to us. I am sick of seeing him getting the ball wide, setting off as if he is going to tear to the touchline and then coming inside only to lose the ball or give it away. In fairness he is a right footer playing on the left but he is just so predictable and easy to play against. His form since he got that new deal a couple of years ago has been poor and I hope Bennett isn't going to go into the same comfort zone.

11 games in is a good time to evaluate where things are heading.

I personally feel we've had a bang average start. However, with all the changes to the squad over the summer and more or less having a completely new team, I expected a very inconsistent start. The fact we've had a bang average start and we're only a few point off the play offs shows that the league is weak. Shrewsbury have had a surprisingly excellent start but I don't see them maintaining that. Wigan will run away with the league, they know how to get results in this league. Even strong teams like Bradford look very inconsistent, which is promising. 

There's no way I would even be thinking about getting rid of Mowbray. We have shown that we can put a run of victories together, keep clean sheets, and beat the top teams away from home. Ironically, the teams we've lost to are the struggling teams. You have to think we won't be losing to the struggling teams as the season goes on. 

Not an amazing start, but not terrible either. Certainly not a bad enough one to get rid of the manager. Interestingly, we're actually one point ahead of Sheffield Utd's points tally after 11 games last season and they ran away with the league with ease. That just goes to show you don't necessarily need an excellent start to get promotion. 

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

6 of the starting 11 were here last season.

It's a new team in the sense that these players haven't played together with each other on a regular basis. Plus, Raya and Ward barely played last season. Bennett didn't play much either. 

Only Mulgrew, Williams and Conway were regulars last season from the team that played yesterday. Compare that to the likes of Bradford and Shrewsbury who have had a consistent team for a while. 

That still doesn't excuse not competing and being outmuscled, but it does explain why we look a bit disjointed at times. 

20 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

11 games in is a good time to evaluate where things are heading.

I personally feel we've had a bang average start. However, with all the changes to the squad over the summer and more or less having a completely new team, I expected a very inconsistent start. The fact we've had a bang average start and we're only a few point off the play offs shows that the league is weak. Shrewsbury have had a surprisingly excellent start but I don't see them maintaining that. Wigan will run away with the league, they know how to get results in this league. Even strong teams like Bradford look very inconsistent, which is promising. 

There's no way I would even be thinking about getting rid of Mowbray. We have shown that we can put a run of victories together, keep clean sheets, and beat the top teams away from home. Ironically, the teams we've lost to are the struggling teams. You have to think we won't be losing to the struggling teams as the season goes on. 

Not an amazing start, but not terrible either. Certainly not a bad enough one to get rid of the manager. Interestingly, we're actually one point ahead of Sheffield Utd's points tally after 11 games last season and they ran away with the league with ease. That just goes to show you don't necessarily need an excellent start to get promotion. 

TM isn't getting us promoted yesterday made it plainly obvious and the deluded drivel he came out with after was just that... At a normal club he'd be handed his p45.. Since arriving in February he oversaw us being relegated and three months into his league one campaign has us 10th despite having a bigger budget than anyone else in the league.. As I state at any normal club he'd be gone but he shouldn't have been here in the first place.. 

8 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

It's a new team in the sense that these players haven't played together with each other on a regular basis. Plus, Raya and Ward barely played last season. Bennett didn't play much either. 

Only Mulgrew, Williams and Conway were regulars last season from the team that played yesterday. Compare that to the likes of Bradford and Shrewsbury who have had a consistent team for a while. 

That still doesn't excuse not competing and being outmuscled, but it does explain why we look a bit disjointed at times. 

At what point does the new players card stop being played though? We are 11 games in now and if you include pre season that is probably 17 games. They will do shape on the training ground on at least a weekly basis and we are talking about experienced players. I just don't buy it.

I have seen players with poor attitudes, poor tactics, poor decision making by players and a host of other reasons why we have looked an average team in an average league. 

On 01/10/2017 at 13:43, RV Blue said:

If we get beat at Oldham, I guarantee that the majority opinion on here would be in favour of sacking him.

Well, after all the stick I took the other week, it looks like I was right. Sack him before it's too late.

59 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I honestly believe Conway is more of a hindrance to us. I am sick of seeing him getting the ball wide, setting off as if he is going to tear to the touchline and then coming inside only to lose the ball or give it away. In fairness he is a right footer playing on the left but he is just so predictable and easy to play against. His form since he got that new deal a couple of years ago has been poor and I hope Bennett isn't going to go into the same comfort zone.

Yes he slows play down and I think that's part of TMs thinking having him and Bennett sort of tucked in cover our shockingly slow full backs but it's counter productive because it ruins attacking on the break when you are sitting deep. No fluidity and no pace in attacks it's straight out of the basic coaching manual Bowyer followed when he did it with Conway, Marshall, Cairney etc but they had some quality in them then but now there's nothing.

All designed to cover up a ropey slow defence which he admitted  he changed tactics to cover Ward but then he plays Whittingham in front of them who offers zero cover. He really doesn't have much confidence in his own team and I think that transmits itself on matchday apart from after every crap defeat they've thrown away where we get a reaction but really that's self motivating, then it reverts to safety first. Only difference between him and what we saw before on that score is Mowbray tends to make changes from 10/15 min in 2nd half to have a go rather than last ten.

33 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

When we win games it's 'oh they've gelled now'  when we lose it's 'oh give them time to gel'  total rollocks i'm afraid when the manager is ending up chasing games with square pegs in round holes that's down to him and his tactics nothing to do with any 'gel' :blink:

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Not really rovers11,

5 of Shrewsbury's starting 11 on Saturday were signed this summer. 5 of Bradfords starting 11 on Saturday were signed this summer. 5 of Rovers starting 11 were signed this summer.

I'm always wary of using the 'new players haven't gelled yet' as an excuse because most teams, especially in the lower leagues, have a huge turnover of players every summer. I doubt you could find many teams in any league lower than the Prem without half a new team every season.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I'm sorry but for me Conway offers nothing.

13 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

Not disagreeing bad result for sure win 2 in hand 6pts still out, playoffs looking more likely still early days though, think things are looking healthy in the main need to improve been some silly results so far. Inconsistency is the achillies heel. 

The pattern though. Just look at the nature of the performances in most games..

Saying we are inconsistent then hanging a hat on winning the two games in hand is a bit like saying it might snow on Christmas day so stick your money on it. Given previous form it won't and we won't.

A few  weeks back after the last non show it was win our game in hand and we'll be in the top six !   We were about tenth then and we are tenth now,

The only real answer to these regular poor efforts is to win the next 3 on the bounce each time as that is what it's going to need to get up to the business end of things.

Theres no way that anyone can argue that its been anything but a very poor start, whether people think its recoverable/unrecoverable or whether people think the manager should stay or go is beside the point.

He was allowed to keep Graham, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Conway, Bennett and Evans, who as 6 players will be on higher wages than most wage bills in other squads.

He was then allowed to spend substantial League 1 fees on Dack and Samuel, one of whom he can't make his mind up on whether he should be a sub, a winger or a number 10, and the other who is meant to be our goalscorer yet looks like a donkey at least as much as he does a goalscorer, and ended yesterday out wide.

He was allowed to add the considerable extra wages of the likes of Whittingham, Smallwood and Antonsson amongst others.

He was even allowed to spend money on Gladwin, Leutwiler and Hart, none of whom are anywhere near the team.

Needs to get at least 10 from the next 4, no excuses, no constant changing teams, being too clever, players out of position, no wonder we are so inconsistent.

We also have a team that you'd describe as patched up at times, and that is unacceptable for a manager who was allowed both the leeway and the money to sign over a teams worth of players.

One bad injury that happened well before the end of the transfer window to Lenihan, and also a left back who is consistently incompetent, yet rather than sign competition for these areas, considering he has been quoted this week as saying he has money left over, he chose to instead spend money on a sub goalkeeper and Ben Gladwin, a waste of team who again is nowhere near the first team.

We then go about playing Elliott Ward, which then leads to us needing to completely change our tactics to cover for him. Considering the number of signings made, that simply isnt good enough recruitment by Mowbray.

28 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The pattern though. Just look at the nature of the performances in most games..

I know it's been patchy, I can't think of anyone else who could come in & hit the ground running. Stick or twist scenario better the devil you know sometimes. You do usually get a response the next game following a defeat there need to bounce back quick losing too much ground for autos a run is needed right now.

Archived