BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

Just now, meadows said:

So évident  behind that goal yesterday that he often had an unpopulated quarter of the field to sprint into. He attempted it -without great success or end product - just once.

To say he’s such a wonderful positive influence In the changing room  his manager seems inordinately keen to get him back in there after 55 minutes of most games. I’d prefer someone who didn’t say a peep in there but did the business on the grass. 

Nail, hammer head.

X2 on the opposite flank.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah there will be grafters like you that put a shift in. There'll be other people that will be busting a gut to get promoted etc.

Then there'll be the ones on their mobile phone when the gaffer isn't watching, the ones that are stood by the clocking machine at 4-25, ready and waiting to bail out. After that you get the wasters who just do the minimum to avoid getting fired.

If your management is lax before you know it the wasters have demotivated the grafters.

Well football teams are just the same, even pro teams. That's our problem, we haven't got enough grafters like you Chaddy and we've got too many wasters.

Another excellent post. (Seemingly)

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Nail, hammer head.

X2 on the opposite flank.

Going off yesterday's performance I'm afraid you're right. We can't afford to play with two wide players who can't beat a man and get to the  bye line. One maybe but both " wingers ",  no.

I've got my doubts about Chapman but he's got to start against Plymouth.

2 hours ago, meadows said:

I think they had 4 better defenders than our defenders yesterday. And I’d swap Doyle & Davies for any 2 of our strikers for the next 35 games. 

And if we have a midfielder capable of running the show as Byrne did yesterday I hope we unveil him soon. 

A damning indictment of Mowbray's recruitment. Then again he did limit himself to players he worked with or had played well against him. Such preparation!

I like Tony Mowbary but I don't think he is the man to get it done.  Nice guy, as was Bowyer, however it seems like he just can not light a fire in this group. What effect does his bigging up the opposition every week have on the players.  What was the reason for Ward iver Downing yesterday.  I just knew ,just knew it would be a keany performance and a loss.  I think maybe these players are too thick to do what Mowbary wants.

Who instead?  Don't know and yiu csn trust Venkies to get it wrong but Mr Mowbary need to take a look at himself and change things.  Starting with himself, let's have some fire an passion.

Maybe the first team would be a little more fired up if they knew there was young uns breathing down their necks but TW has made it clear there is nothing for them to worry about in that regard.  Sadly the young uns know this too.

Trouble with Mowbray is he's another used to fighting fires and looking for stability and that is what he'll provide here but we require so much more and unlike in a higher league where there are some real big force clubs we are the one of only a few real forces in this one. His methods are designed for midtable mediocrity and I bet other teams can't believe their luck at times when they get revved up and come up against us expecting fireworks and they find a candle.

It isn't pressure or weight of expectation or quality opposition holding us back it's lack of drive and ambition in tactics for a lot of games. Go to Wigan with the same approach and attitude as yesterday and we'll get brushed aside good style in front of another 2 or 3k following paying 25 quid for league 1 football.

The proverbial will hit the fan then as it often does at Wigan.

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The proverbial will hit the fan then as it often does at Wigan.

Ha it really does, doesn't it?

Ince in 2008, k*an in 2011 & coyle last year, all 3 games ended with rovers fans falling out with each other and near enough brawling at the final whistle. Make's me glad i'm away for it this year.

P.S it was actually at Wigan in Feb 2011 that i worked out that k*an wouldnt be good enough, trying to play football on a pitch that had a weeks worth of rain on it in a few hours!

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Ha it really does, doesn't it?

Ince in 2008, k*an in 2011 & coyle last year, all 3 games ended with rovers fans falling out with each other and near enough brawling at the final whistle. Make's me glad i'm away for it this year.

P.S it was actually at Wigan in Feb 2011 that i worked out that k*an wouldnt be good enough, trying to play football on a pitch that had a weeks worth of rain on it in a few hours!

It doesn't help that whatever the Rovers team or division we often save our worst performance of the season for Wigan away !

Scary thought :o

18 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I am seriously concerned with Mowbray.. more so with how badly the team is performing.. he is struggling yo get their 'heads right' and this is a real worry.. I was very optimistic 're him but right now I'm very concerned... the question I have is.. what are the alternatives??

Mowbray should look for a higher quality first team coach than the current one ! 

Would have thought his first and most immediate task . 

Though Mowbray probably isn't running the first team just the spokesman with title.

21 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

Not disagreeing bad result for sure win 2 in hand 6pts still out, playoffs looking more likely still early days though, think things are looking healthy in the main need to improve been some silly results so far. Inconsistency is the achillies heel. 

We were favourites to win this mediocre league! We are barely over halfway up it. Most performances have been dire or ordinary.

And you think its looking healthy! 

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

We were favourites to win this mediocre league! We are barely over halfway up it. Most performances have been dire or ordinary.

Nothing in our club is healthy 47er, nothing. Which ever way you cut it up, whatever short term hope flickers,whatever positive spin - the Club is beyond diseased and it can't recover  even the slightest amount whilst we are owned by the Vscum and run by their stooges. 

It always ends up at the same conclusion just that the same conclusions are now being drawn in league bloody one. They have killed the Club , end of story.

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

I actually think patches in some matches have been really good - but we haven't put the ball in the net. This has been in comparison to some very poor performances.

I don't think anyone should under estimate the changes that TM has to enact at Rovers - changing us from a team lacking in confidence, used to losing - to one that can win on a regular basis.

However - by now I had hoped to see more consistent performances - and the start of a good team pattern. I didn't expect TM to change from what was obviously his preferred system (against which he had done so much of his player recruitment for) so early in the season. At the end of the day he knows the division, he bought players for three at the back - and yet failed to implement it successfully. While I admire him for changing the system when it wasn't working - I am worried that he got it so wrong from the start.

Ultimately the blame will lie with TM - but we have some excellent (at this level), experienced players - who really need to look in the mirror.

For those blaming the Venky's - yes we are in this division because of them - but TM has had far more financial support than any of us could have dared. So, while not defending the part they have played in our demise, if we fail to get back up this season the blame will lie mainly with TM and the players.

BTW - I would still give him the next two home matches to turn this around - but it has to be a minimum of 4 (if not 6) points from the next two matches.

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Saying we are inconsistent then hanging a hat on winning the two games in hand is a bit like saying it might snow on Christmas day so stick your money on it. Given previous form it won't and we won't.

A few  weeks back after the last non show it was win our game in hand and we'll be in the top six !   We were about tenth then and we are tenth now,

The only real answer to these regular poor efforts is to win the next 3 on the bounce each time as that is what it's going to need to get up to the business end of things.

We all know what happened at the business end of the season last year 

Mowbray is a Centre Half by trade.  A decent no nonesense championship and probably lowere premier league footballer. Technically not the best,but brave and good in the air.....scored a few goals from set pieces from my distant memory.....

What does he see when Elliot Ward goes anywhere near a football? ......The guy just looks wrong.  His shape is a bit soft round the edges....he's a mard arse which isnt great for a CH.  He doesnt win many headers and his free headers are just directionless grunts.....shocking.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the players are reflecting Mowbrays attitude on the pitch.

It's being drilled into them that every game is going to be tough, oooh scary be careful don't take chances attitude, and just kick the ball anywhere in the hope that it might drop to one of our players.

Oldham beat us to nearly every ball all across the park purely because they wanted it more than we did and that's the absolute best attitude to have, what a pity that Mowbray can't instil that in our lot.

My defining moment re TM came when he went public on how he acquired his squad in the most recent window.

After going to "The Far Pavillions" to meet the Vermin and getting the budget he wanted, plus a contract extension and just maybe pay increase, he then restricted player choice to those he had previously managed or had played well against a team he had managed.

Gladwin is a result of the latter approach.

Unprofessional and a waste of resources.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mowbray is a Centre Half by trade.  A decent no nonesense championship and probably lowere premier league footballer. Technically not the best,but brave and good in the air.....scored a few goals from set pieces from my distant memory.....

What does he see when Elliot Ward goes anywhere near a football? ......The guy just looks wrong.  His shape is a bit soft round the edges....he's a mard arse which isnt great for a CH.  He doesnt win many headers and his free headers are just directionless grunts.....shocking.

How Ward's made a career out of playing centre half I just don't know. Some of the centre halves I played with and against were real tough lads. If you kicked them you'd hurt your foot.

One thing I did notice from my seat  in the main stand that the Rovers fans in the away end wouldn't have seen. I was sat right in line with where our strikers and their centre halves lined up for goal kicks etc in the first half. The Oldham centre halves were buffeting Antonnson every chance they got, especially when he was changing positions and the ball was down the other end. They'd " accidentally " barge into him or run  past and give him a sly dig when the officials eyes were following play down field.

They didn't try the same thing  with Samuel.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

The form is we are winning/drawing more than we are losing there is still plenty of room for improvement granted, Bradford & Scunthorpe & Shrewsbury are hard places to go & we lost neither. I'm looking forward to a response from TM & the team.

Early on in the game on Saturday we pushed really high on Oldhams goal kicks and when their keeper had possession of the ball. Ordinarily that would fine as it prevents teams building from the back but when we stopped them doing it they went long and won nearly every header against our feeble defenders. On the odd occasion we won a header Oldham picked up the second ball and went forward. By forcing them to go long I thought we played into their hands. Surely Mowbray would have been better letting the keeper play it short and then pressing.

Another example of our tactically astute manager I guess. 

If you look at Wards career he fit the journeyman tag very well he's been farmed out on loan everywhere he's been, Another Miles perhaps ?

Shows how desperate we are when a manager is altering formation and tactics to protect a bad centre half away at Oldham knowing there are thousands turning up expecting us to have a go at least. I know TM was lumbered with him, quicker Wharton or Lenihen get fit the better.

Said it before but he's not much faith in his own team or some of his signings or even himself by the looks of it.

Poor, he is contributing to throwing games away without a whimper.

Archived