BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Backroom

Same stuff that was trotted out when Bowyer was underperforming. Just a few points off the playoffs... then the year after a few more points... then the year after nowhere close... then the year after fighting to stay in the division. If anything we should have learned by now that mediocrity can't be tolerated, but that as long as Venky's remain the manager's position will never be filled by a suitable candidate. They haven't got it right in seven years, it's unlikely they're going to start now. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Gav said:

Come off it Simon, we're 3 points of the playoffs its bonkers to be even thinking of a new manager.

We've just spent a small budget, brought new players in, improved a contract or 2? thats major @#/? progress under this lot.

The club needs stability not more upheaval, I wonder if anyone calling the managers head has learnt anything over the past 8yrs.

Agreed Gav. This is not the time to be changing the manager.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Come off it Simon, we're 3 points of the playoffs its bonkers to be even thinking of a new manager.

We've just spent a small budget, brought new players in, improved a contract or 2? thats major @#/? progress under this lot.

The club needs stability not more upheaval, I wonder if anyone calling the managers head has learnt anything over the past 8yrs.

We spent all last season X points off safety positions being nearly men 'only' needing a couple of wins to get on the right side of the line. It never happened and we went down because of it. We can spend all this season in 7th-12th 'only' 3,4,5,6 points off the top 6 with a game or two in hand but eventually it becomes a meaningless statistic. As does finishing in the top 6 and then getting beat in the play-offs. The only way a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th place finish for this club can be considered a success is if it subsequently leads to Wembley and a win in the play-off final. Then it would be 'job done' whilst making hard work of it.

Our wage bill at a guess is still strong by Championship standards, let alone League One. Danny Graham and Charlie Mulgrew will probably be on more than the whole of Shrewsbury's starting 11 on Saturday. If the squad isn't good enough for promotion from this league then the next job is to identify how that can be the case given the outlay on players and wages and it then comes round to the manager who has retained or signed them all.

We had stability under Gary Bowyer and it was working quite well, these buffoons decided they weren't happy with that and the result has been relegation. We simply cannot cart along in mid-table of this woeful league for a few years just to make some romantic point of stability.

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Out of interest, if Tony was to go, who'd you realistically replace him with? That's the dilemma I have as I don't know many managers at this level, and don't expect Venkys to get a better person in.

Uwe Rosler.

Edit: or Johnson.

we've given a extended contract to a guy who failed to keep us up given him a healthy budget let him bring in his own staff etc 

Hang on.. TM left Coventry bottom of league one how did Mark venus do ??? Erm..... 

We now have the subs supposedly warming up at half time but actually acting the P@@@@ 

We are currently 10th in league one at any normal club TM and Venus would be in with the chairman this morning explaining that non performance on Saturday... But no nothing will happen its easysyreet Ewood until pashas real employer's say so and the merry go round spins again 

20 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

There are plenty. We need a manager that has done well in his last job, not a proven failure.

Yes there are plenty but we know who'll provide the management team and its not cheston 

Having just about calmed down from Saturday and given it some thought, I can't believe Mowbray is this bad.

There must be some external interference involved from somewhere in signings and team selection and probably has been throughout Venkys tenure.

None of us are 'football experts' but we all knew we needed to build a strong defence first and foremost: 2 dominant centre halves and full backs who could defend first and foremost and ideally with the ability to overlap and add an attacking dimension. We don't have any of these but have an abundance of others that don't fit any category either.

Above all else we need a true leader on the park from somewhere, somebody who organises, pumps their fists and the rest take head and listen. 

To sum up, I consider that Mowbray's hands may be tied. He certainly doesn't come across as being thick as a post!!

7 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Out of interest, if Tony was to go, who'd you realistically replace him with? That's the dilemma I have as I don't know many managers at this level, and don't expect Venkys to get a better person in.

I think he will have some credit in the bank, I don't know many managers as well to replace him then again it wouldn't/shouldn't be a hard sell to anybody with the history & vision there's potential for somebody to really push it forwards. If he did get the chop I'd prefer a younger upcoming guy in with fresh modern ideas.

It's not looking good for Rovers with Mowbray.

This is his team.

At the very least, even if they were still gelling and in development mode, they should be running through the metaphorical brick walls for him.  I see little evidence of that.  I am struggling to see any green shoots.  Even when we win, it's hardly convincing stuff.  I wouldn't go so far as to say Mowbray has lost the dressing room but I think there are a lot of worrying signs.

IMV, the negatives far outweigh the positives and we should cut our losses with Mowbray.  He peaked as a manager many years ago and I think he's in decline as evidenced by his Coventry days.

We need a proven operator at this level, a Warnock, even a Grayson.  Failing that, give Johnson a chance.

To do nothing is tantamount to dereliction of responsibility.  We are treading water, going nowhere.  Now is the time for decisiveness.  

It's more than Mowbray Mercer, he can't be as bad as we appear to be.

There's plenty on the terraces with a managerial and motivational background in local businesses who have a good knowledge of football generally that would make a better fist given no external interference.

58 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simon Grayson at Ewood before the end of the season ...

Rosler , I suspect would be very interested ,,,

I would take Grayson in a shot. 4 promotions in this league, did well with Preston in the championship. Ok Sunderland is going badly but Imo that's one of those clubs that is a poisoned chalice and goes badly for everyone.

Loads of experience, lots of success, worked for batnuts owners before and an ex-Rover. Ideal candidate Imo.

Trouble with Mowbray is that he is constantly in defensive/consolidation mode. Get men behind the ball, stay in shape and stay solid. I thought we only played like that last season because we were battling relegation with a struggling team. I didn't realise that's how he plays all the time. Essentially he always plays like we're in a relegation battle and the league leaders are in town.  

Fooled again by talk of expansive football.:wacko:

There isn't a Plan B either, which is why we will struggle when we go behind. There is no imagination in the way his teams play beyond chucking a load of subs on when we inevitably come under pressure because we are too deep. Then we he does go for it we get done on the counter because the defence is too slow.

Apart from that it's all good.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Trouble with Mowbray is that he is constantly in defensive/consolidation mode. Get men behind the ball, stay in shape and stay solid. I thought we only played like that last season because we were battling relegation with a struggling team. I didn't realise that's how he plays all the time. Essentially he always plays like we're in a relegation battle and the league leaders are in town.  

Fooled again by talk of expansive football.:wacko:

There isn't a Plan B either, which is why we will struggle when we go behind. There is no imagination in the way his teams play beyond chucking a load of subs on when we inevitably come under pressure because we are too deep. Then we he does go for it we get done on the counter because the defence is too slow.

Apart from that it's all good.

Exactly. We either have no plan B, or the players he has brought in can't adapt to a plan B.  

We got worse and worse as the game went on last Saturday, which is worrying as we were awful for the first 20 minutes.

On 14/10/2017 at 18:18, JPTSwindon said:

With our budget and squad we should be doing much, much better.  Not only are we dropping points left right and centre, but there hasn't been any impressive performances.

TM is dour and the players are reflecting that.

Get rid, be bold and bring in the Lincoln bosses.

Just now, Hasta said:

Exactly. We either have no plan B, or the players he has brought in can't adapt to a plan B.  

We got worse and worse as the game went on last Saturday.

Keep it tight , stay in the game and pray !

58 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We got worse and worse as the game went on last Saturday, which is worrying as we were awful for the first 20 minutes.

On Saturday we looked like 11 guys who'd just met an hour ago on the car park.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Standing still = stability Gav. That's what we had before with Bowyer. That's why he had to go. That's what I've learned over the last few years.

But, unfortunately ,I've also learned that having Venkys as owners means stability is a temporary blip on an ever-descending graph. I'm convinced that this is a permanent trajectory we are on and it will end only when Venkys give up. 

That word "conflicted" again!

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I would take Grayson in a shot. 4 promotions in this league, did well with Preston in the championship. Ok Sunderland is going badly but Imo that's one of those clubs that is a poisoned chalice and goes badly for everyone.

Loads of experience, lots of success, worked for batnuts owners before and an ex-Rover. Ideal candidate Imo.

Poisoned chalice LOL!!

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Too right he'd be ideal and we might be ideal for him to repair his rep when his Sunderland journey ends in tears. It might be doable given there might be a few dots that join in terms of connections seeing as we only ever appoint from a certain set of lists. Although i'm almost convinced someone purposely foists only their @#/? onto us in their own best interests. Read a rumour the other day that Coyle only got dumped on us because Bling owed clownpants agent a favour, that's tallies with how we are run.

Sadly if he became available Grayson would be far too sensible and ambitious for Venkys and seeing as everything here is set up to fail he would probably flop anyway !

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15599745.Tony_Mowbray_says_Rovers_have__no_divine_right__to_win_games_in_League_One_but_feels_they_will_get_stronger_as_season_progresses/?ref=mac

Last week at the Supporters Consultation he said if we didn't get promotion with the players we currently have he wasn't much of a manager and would expect to be sacked. Today he's coming out with:-

"In my opinion we’re doing okay from where we are, where we started, the team we have put together and I think it’s wrong for people to think that we were going to run over the top of this league,”

Sadly, for all the talk of integrity and being an honest man, at the first sign of criticism he has reverted to self-preservation mode. The backtracking and excuses have begun. They are all the same in that respect.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15599761._I_think_it___s_a_bit_of_an_eye_opener_for_him____Peter_Whittingham_still_settling_in_to_life_at_Rovers__says_Tony_Mowbray/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

I just wish he'd stop talking now. His BS is too much. He talks more garbage than Coyle. It's not his fault that Whittingham can't cope, it's Whittingham's fault. After all Whittingham signed himself. Nowt to do with Tony your honour. And he looks bloody good in training.

Archived