BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15599761._I_think_it___s_a_bit_of_an_eye_opener_for_him____Peter_Whittingham_still_settling_in_to_life_at_Rovers__says_Tony_Mowbray/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

I just wish he'd stop talking now. His BS is too much. He talks more garbage than Coyle. It's not his fault that Whittingham can't cope, it's Whittingham's fault. After all Whittingham signed himself. Nowt to do with Tony your honour. And he looks bloody good in training.

The gladwin in training quote is on par with  Myles infamous tackle

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15599745.Tony_Mowbray_says_Rovers_have__no_divine_right__to_win_games_in_League_One_but_feels_they_will_get_stronger_as_season_progresses/?ref=mac

Last week at the Supporters Consultation he said if we didn't get promotion with the players we currently have he wasn't much of a manager and would expect to be sacked. Today he's coming out with:-

"In my opinion we’re doing okay from where we are, where we started, the team we have put together and I think it’s wrong for people to think that we were going to run over the top of this league,”

Sadly, for all the talk of integrity and being an honest man, at the first sign of criticism he has reverted to self-preservation mode. The backtracking and excuses have begun. They are all the same in that respect.

Oh Dear, he's started to use 'project', prepare to be disappointed.

33 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15599745.Tony_Mowbray_says_Rovers_have__no_divine_right__to_win_games_in_League_One_but_feels_they_will_get_stronger_as_season_progresses/?ref=mac

Last week at the Supporters Consultation he said if we didn't get promotion with the players we currently have he wasn't much of a manager and would expect to be sacked. Today he's coming out with:-

"In my opinion we’re doing okay from where we are, where we started, the team we have put together and I think it’s wrong for people to think that we were going to run over the top of this league,”

Sadly, for all the talk of integrity and being an honest man, at the first sign of criticism he has reverted to self-preservation mode. The backtracking and excuses have begun. They are all the same in that respect.

I never thought I'd say it but he's become  more and more keanesque with each interview.. Where as Coyle just chatted rubbish.. TM is in self preservation mode 

As I stated yesterday at a normal club TM and venus would be explaining themselves to the chairman after Saturday... 

21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Pretty soon he'll be saying he needs 2 or 3 windows to turn the club around. He'll never get another as good as the last one !

11 minutes ago, Athlete said:

I never thought I'd say it but he's become  more and more keanesque with each interview.. Where as Coyle just chatted rubbish.. TM is in self preservation mode 

As I stated yesterday at a normal club TM and venus would be explaining themselves to the chairman after Saturday... 

We'll know when our shadow chief is back in town they'll put the foot on the gas and win a few on the bounce then breath out and relax again when he's off spying on another oversees project.

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Pretty soon he'll be saying he needs 2 or 3 windows to turn the club around. He'll never get another as good as the last one !

He's not doing any favors with his stupid quotes, Id much prefer to be honest and say we 'should' be top of the league and we are under performing ...etc but once you start to try and kid fans then its a slippery slope.

Im just waiting for "Rub of the green - bit more dew on the grass for more zip - false position"

Anything less than 4-0 win tonight will disappointing a scrappy 1-0 win wont convince me at all.

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

In which by his own admission he took the easy maybe lazy route.

Now it's a wider project for TM and his best buddy.

OK and again by TM's own views it's a one season project with auto promotion the sole target. I can buy that

TM needs a speech writer and wtf does Venus do?

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Standing still = stability Gav. That's what we had before with Bowyer. That's why he had to go. That's what I've learned over the last few years.

But, unfortunately ,I've also learned that having Venkys as owners means stability is a temporary blip on an ever-descending graph. I'm convinced that this is a permanent trajectory we are on and it will end only when Venkys give up. 

That word "conflicted" again!

Absolutely not. 

How short some of our memories are. 

Mowbray has restored some stability to the club. Turned the focus to what is happening on the pitch and we're managing to avoid major distractions off it. 

We can't just keep sacking managers every 6 months. It's becoming a joke, and the attitude of some of the supporters on here is laughable. 

We need a period of stability. To give a manager a full season or two in charge. To let him really put a team together, to implement a plan that can be seen through, and to give the players a bit more belief. 

Things haven't been amazing to start with, but they haven't been terrible either. I would have been very happy if you had offered me our current position back in July. I would have seen it as a good foundation for a season challenging for automatic promotion. Nothing I have seen has made me think that this is not possible. 

• Backroom

We haven't been sacking managers every six months though. Bowyer was here for two full seasons, Lambert opted to leave - was not sacked - Coyle was rightly binned around six months in and Mowbray has so far been here roughly 8-9 months. 

Our last period of "stability" (I've really grown to hate that word) ended with a team that had been stripped of all talent and left rotting in the lower reaches of the Championship. What's to suggest this time around will be any different? It's a different league but the same old @#/?. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Things haven't been amazing to start with, but they haven't been terrible either. I would have been very happy if you had offered me our current position back in July. I would have seen it as a good foundation for a season challenging for automatic promotion. Nothing I have seen has made me think that this is not possible. 

To be quite honest, I think performances are not too far from terrible. I worry that the slow process of attrition and dumbing down has merely reduced our expectations.

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Absolutely not. 

Mowbray has restored some stability to the club. Turned the focus to what is happening on the pitch and we're managing to avoid major distractions off it. 

We can't just keep sacking managers every 6 months. It's becoming a joke, and the attitude of some of the supporters on here is laughable. 

We need a period of stability. To give a manager a full season or two in charge. To let him really put a team together, to implement a plan that can be seen through, and to give the players a bit more belief. 

That sounds fine, if that is what will happen. Unfortunately I don't believe for one minute that the club will be allowed to exist for 2-3 years in this league with Venkys at the helm leaving the manager alone and backing him to 'implement a plan'. We've seen it all before when Bowyer was manager and they conned most into thinking they were doing things properly and leaving him to sort the club out. Then hey presto he's fired, there's another shady character running the club, managers come and go and we get relegated. At best they'll allow a couple of seasons with us in the top half before they give up and decide to change track again and upset the apple cart by hiring another raft of players and managers.

I'm struggling to understand what you have seen thus far that makes you think automatic promotion is possible. Carry on at this rate and automatic will be gone before Xmas. We're the epitome of inconsistent in terms of tactics, selection, performance, not just game to game but also during matches. We're capable of 45 minute spells where we are better than anyone in this league, but those periods have been matched or outdone by periods were we are dreadful.

11 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

To be quite honest, I think performances are not too far from terrible. I worry that the slow process of attrition and dumbing down has merely reduced our expectations.

My expectations have been reduced based on the fact that we are now in league one. Last weekend aside, recent performances have been average to good (depending on the week). 

We started poorly and have last weekend's blip to recover from, but the last few weeks have been encouraging. 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That sounds fine, if that is what will happen. Unfortunately I don't believe for one minute that the club will be allowed to exist for 2-3 years in this league with Venkys at the helm leaving the manager alone and backing him to 'implement a plan'. We've seen it all before when Bowyer was manager and they conned most into thinking they were doing things properly and leaving him to sort the club out. Then hey presto he's fired, there's another shady character running the club, managers come and go and we get relegated. At best they'll allow a couple of seasons with us in the top half before they give up and decide to change track again and upset the apple cart by hiring another raft of players and managers.

I'm struggling to understand what you have seen thus far that makes you think automatic promotion is possible. Carry on at this rate and automatic will be gone before Xmas. We're the epitome of inconsistent in terms of tactics, selection, performance, not just game to game but also during matches. We're capable of 45 minute spells where we are better than anyone in this league, but those periods have been matched or outdone by periods were we are dreadful.

See my comment above really, but based on the fact that we have had a reasonably decent start to the season, sit just off the playoffs with games in hand, and have recovered from a very poor opening couple of matches. 

As for 'carry on this way and automatic promotion will be gone before Christmas'....What? I would feel comfortable in saying we will get at least 3 points from our 2 games in hand, which would put us 6th and 9 points off top. Now yes, if you assume that Wigan and Shrewsbury will remain 9 points better than us over every stretch of 13 matches, that would rule out automatic promotion, but that seems unlikely. 

We're currently on course for 79 points, which would mean we would have finished 5th last season in league one (a result that I would find far from disastrous). Wigan and Shrewsbury are on course for 110 points, something which is almost certainly unsustainable for either of them, but impossible to think that they would both reach such a total. 

Realistically, I would say that I would expect us to pick up around 85 points this year if we continue to play as we are, which should be good enough for the playoffs, but could be good enough for second. 

In any event, a points total of that sort would keep us interested in the automatic promotion places up until the final month or two of the season. 

Sorry for throwing reason and logic into my assessment for the season. 

54 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Absolutely not. 

But Mowbray himself has said himself that he expects to be sacked if we don't get promotion. On the evidence so far we are a long way from that so questions can rightly be asked. 

Today he has said Whittingham is getting used to League One and needs a bedding in period. Should Mowbray not have been aware of that when he signed him? And it begs the question why he is still playing him in a position that doesn't suit him. Lots and lots of questions that will only be answered through positive results.

'on the evidence so far we are a long way from that'. 

Really? Win one of our two games in hand and we are in the playoff spots. 

How can anyone look at that and say that 'evidence shows that we are a long way from promotion'. 

That is, quite frankly, ridiculous. 

I'd love it if we were where Wigan are. Having said that, I have little doubt that a significant percentage of this messageboard would still be moaning about how terrible we are and how we've lost 2 matches. 

We've gone through some rough times over the past 7 years, but we've also turned into a moaning load of sh*ts.

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How can anyone look at that and say that 'evidence shows that we are a long way from promotion'. 

I'd love it if we were where Wigan are. Having said that, I have little doubt that a significant percentage of this messageboard would still be moaning about how terrible we are and how we've lost 2 matches. 

We've gone through some rough times over the past 7 years, but we've also turned into a moaning load of sh*ts.

You don't get promoted by being in the top 6. We are now 12 points off the top 2 after only 11 games of the season. 12 points short when we've only had 33 to play for is a big gap for a team backed to win the league by many. Lets theorise that the next 11 games go exactly as the first 11. We'd have 38 points from 22 matches. But Wigan and Shrewsbury would have 62 points so we'd be 24 points off the pace. I'd argue that by that stage automatic promotion would be gone.

It might happen, it might not. Shrewsbury might slow down, so might we.

Fact is we're losing too many games against teams that we shouldn't be losing to if we want to go up automatically. We're not creating enough, not scoring enough and look fragile at the back, especially vulnerable at home.

I don't think anyone would be moaning if we were sat where Shrewsbury and Wigan currently are. But when you've had a club, manager, players spending all summer talking about getting promoted then l expect substantially better than we've had so far.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Absolutely not. 

we have had 4 different managers within the past 2 seasons. Nothing was ever been achieve if this keeps happening. 

I agree we need a manager for a full season or 2. That's is how most clubs achieve success. 

I agree we haven't a great start but we not had awful start either its ok start but with 2 games in hand and if we win both games we will be 4th in the league. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My expectations have been reduced based on the fact that we are now in league one. Last weekend aside, recent performances have been average to good (depending on the week). 

We started poorly and have last weekend's blip to recover from, but the last few weeks have been encouraging. 

See my comment above really, but based on the fact that we have had a reasonably decent start to the season, sit just off the playoffs with games in hand, and have recovered from a very poor opening couple of matches. 

As for 'carry on this way and automatic promotion will be gone before Christmas'....What? I would feel comfortable in saying we will get at least 3 points from our 2 games in hand, which would put us 6th and 9 points off top. Now yes, if you assume that Wigan and Shrewsbury will remain 9 points better than us over every stretch of 13 matches, that would rule out automatic promotion, but that seems unlikely. 

We're currently on course for 79 points, which would mean we would have finished 5th last season in league one (a result that I would find far from disastrous). Wigan and Shrewsbury are on course for 110 points, something which is almost certainly unsustainable for either of them, but impossible to think that they would both reach such a total. 

Realistically, I would say that I would expect us to pick up around 85 points this year if we continue to play as we are, which should be good enough for the playoffs, but could be good enough for second. 

In any event, a points total of that sort would keep us interested in the automatic promotion places up until the final month or two of the season. 

Sorry for throwing reason and logic into my assessment for the season. 

That's a good assessment and well throughout argument is that

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But Mowbray himself has said himself that he expects to be sacked if we don't get promotion. On the evidence so far we are a long way from that so questions can rightly be asked. 

Today he has said Whittingham is getting used to League One and needs a bedding in period. Should Mowbray not have been aware of that when he signed him? And it begs the question why he is still playing him in a position that doesn't suit him. Lots and lots of questions that will only be answered through positive results.

Yes Mowbray has said that but you can get promotion via the playoffs. 

Yes Whittingham does need a bedding in period just like most players do. But I'm sure over a full season he will come good and improve. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

again good points made

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Project he is referring to is getting the club back to the premier league eventually. Mention this due the supporter meeting

Just now, JHRover said:

You don't get promoted by being in the top 6. We are now 12 points off the top 2 after only 11 games of the season. 12 points short when we've only had 33 to play for is a big gap for a team backed to win the league by many. Lets theorise that the next 11 games go exactly as the first 11. We'd have 38 points from 22 matches. But Wigan and Shrewsbury would have 62 points so we'd be 24 points off the pace. I'd argue that by that stage automatic promotion would be gone.

It might happen, it might not. Shrewsbury might slow down, so might we.

Fact is we're losing too many games against teams that we shouldn't be losing to if we want to go up automatically. We're not creating enough, not scoring enough and look fragile at the back, especially vulnerable at home.

I don't think anyone would be moaning if we were sat where Shrewsbury and Wigan currently are. But when you've had a club, manager, players spending all summer talking about getting promoted then l expect substantially better than we've had so far.

For starters, what's the point in debating you when you completely misuse and ignore facts? 

We are 12 points off with 2 games in hand. In other words, the other teams had 39 points to play for. It's a decent gap, but if that is cut down to 9 to 6 points it won't look very big. Have a look back through the years and you will see plenty of teams coming from similar positions to win the league, finish second, or go up through the playoffs. We have certainly not ruled ourselves out. 

Again, in projecting future points positions, you have for some reason given Wigan and Shrewsbury 4 more matches than us. 

Finally, I know you don't get promoted for finishing in the playoff spots, but it does give you a chance...a pretty damn good chance. If we are in the playoffs and Wigan have gone up automatically we would be everyone's favourites to make it up. 

I'm not panicking, to do so is idiotic. 

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't think you are properly thinking through what you are saying, rather just disagreeing with the consensus.

You call for a bedding in period of 2 years for the manager yet he has himself already admitted that not gaining promotion this season means he should be sacked.

You are heavily doubting the form being sustained by Wigan/Shrewsbury but then, in the same sentence, denying that logic and over egging what our form suggests will be our final points tally. That's called blind optimism. As of recent form they are going to be competing for the top two and we are, undeniably, going to be competing for a lower half play off position, leaving us with a tricky route to promotion.

Things aren't terrible at the moment but they are far from good. You are basing your optimism on us winning one of our games in hand. I'd say basing your league position, and current fortunes, on "maybe winning a game" in the future is not exactly the right thing to do.

Tony Mowbray doesn't deserve to be sacked but more performances like the one shown at Oldham and he will. He's using up all his mistakes too early in the season for me. We shouldn't be in this position right now and it's absurd to say you'd have accepted this back in July. The consensus was, by everybody in football, that we have the squad and facilities to win this league. Anything other than promotion is simply not acceptable.

TMs position at the moment isn't untenable, he can still, as you say, win the games in hand and climb the table. However, his lives are running out and it is for that reason why his position is currently under consideration. There's no way we should be having these discussions 11 games into the season but, quite simply, current form and current performances are way below what is expected of Rovers this season.

4 minutes ago, philipl said:

If we don't win tonight (especially a defeat), Mobray's position is going to be looking rather tenuous.

Not a murmur mentioned by Cheston. Competent boards would have publically backed the manager with a vote of confidence by now.

To date his performance as manager is deeply unacceptable. I note today's LET harking we have no Devine right in this league of which is true however fans have a Devine right to see a manager be competent enough to get a team fit, tactically well drilled given he's by far and large received high funds both transfer and wage wise in this league and the facilities to develop his coaching at this level.

Just now, Eddie said:

For starters, what's the point in debating you when you completely misuse and ignore facts? 

We are 12 points off with 2 games in hand. In other words, the other teams had 39 points to play for. It's a decent gap, but if that is cut down to 9 to 6 points it won't look very big. Have a look back through the years and you will see plenty of teams coming from similar positions to win the league, finish second, or go up through the playoffs. We have certainly not ruled ourselves out. 

Again, in projecting future points positions, you have for some reason given Wigan and Shrewsbury 4 more matches than us. 

Finally, I know you don't get promoted for finishing in the playoff spots, but it does give you a chance...a pretty damn good chance. If we are in the playoffs and Wigan have gone up automatically we would be everyone's favourites to make it up. 

I'm not panicking, to do so is idiotic. 

Except it's about having standards and your appear to continually decline along with our performance over the last few years.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A quarter of the season in and already a playoff place is considered success.

News Flash - it is not

The only success will be promotion.

I say playoff place in saying that we will finish the regular season in the playoff spots. At that point I expect us to be favourites in the playoffs and to go up via the playoffs. I will be disappointed if we finish 4th and then go out in the playoffs. I would still hope that Mowbray would keep his job under those circumstances, as I think it is vital that we try to re-establish stability at the club, but I would understand if he was let go or decided to walk. 

It's 11 games into the season. It's far too early to be making concrete statements about how we are doing or where we will finish. If you look back to this time last year in League One, you will find that most of the teams that were sitting in the top 6 fell out of it, and teams recovered from poor starts to finish high up the table. 

I don't consider our start poor, I consider it average (by the standards we are expecting) and see it as a platform from which we can launch a very good promotion campaign. 

The mood can shift significantly based off of the next 2 or 3 results, but for the time being, I find it ridiculous to be reacting to every match and reassessing the manager's position. We're becoming a bit of a joke, it's time to understand that successful clubs rely on giving manager's time, about allowing players to learn a system and have confidence in each other, and having a bit of patience. 

It's easy to come back at that by saying 'Bowyer got a bit of time' or 'look what happened here'. That's fine, view as you wish, but find me a club that was successful when going through 5 managers in 2-3 seasons. 

Archived