BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BIG SAM retires

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DE. said:

It was 1-1, and United confirmed their 19th title on that day. It was the night after that game that Steve Kean was arrested for drink driving.

That was also the day that both teams played for a draw. Whilst it was enough to guarantee United the title it might not have been enough to keep us up. Fortunately we went on to beat Wolves on the final day and survive.

It also puts paid to the theory that Alex Ferguson was never happy to only draw a game, as he claimed in his book. I'll never believe that after witnessing that match and watching both teams run the clock down for a point in the last 15 minutes.

Can't believe some of the stuff i'm reading on this thread....nostalgia is great stuff!

I worked in Blackburn throughout Big Sam's tenure and can't recall a single Rovers fan who didn't think potting him was the correct decision.  

Yet, when it didn't work out as expected you all blamed Venkys. I was reminding a Rovers fan about this the other day and he was even in agreement that you all wanted him out. 

Just now, Fac51 said:

Can't believe some of the stuff i'm reading on this thread....nostalgia is great stuff!

I worked in Blackburn throughout Big Sam's tenure and can't recall a single Rovers fan who didn't think potting him was the correct decision.  

Yet, when it didn't work out as expected you all blamed Venkys. I was reminding a Rovers fan about this the other day and he was even in agreement that you all wanted him out. 

Oooh. Controversial. I was bored to tears in many a Big Sam game but it was definitely NOT the correct decision to pot him. He was what this club needed at that time and his approach was a necessary evil.

Just now, Fac51 said:

We wanted Maradona mate.

• Backroom
Just now, Fac51 said:

Hmmm.

Just now, DE. said:

Hmmm.

Mistake for me he had to have at least December to prove himself to the owners.

Jol for me now, would love Coyle but there's no chance of that.

You got your wish in the end Tom ;)

1 hour ago, Fac51 said:

Obviously a provocative post from a non-Rovers fan! If you had read this site at the time you would know that this was the moment for most when their doubts about the Raos changed to certainty.

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

That was also the day that both teams played for a draw. Whilst it was enough to guarantee United the title it might not have been enough to keep us up. Fortunately we went on to beat Wolves on the final day and survive.

It also puts paid to the theory that Alex Ferguson was never happy to only draw a game, as he claimed in his book. I'll never believe that after witnessing that match and watching both teams run the clock down for a point in the last 15 minutes.

And we never asked for an FA investigation! :)

2 hours ago, Fac51 said:

You Sir are factually incorrect a WUM and a pillock. Go home to Dingleland and do your Mum.

2 hours ago, Batman. said:

Ironically it's many of the same folk who have been telling us how great Brexit will be who were celebrating the Allardyce departure.

God help us.

Well I never,I have to admit that I agree with you on this.;)

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Well I never,I have to admit that I agree with you on this.;)

Unfortunately it's true. These people have always had mouths bigger than brains, and there will be similar backtracking and finger pointing in ICINF threads of the future.

As the saying goes, "when you point the finger, there's always three pointing straight back at you..."

9 hours ago, Fac51 said:

I'm one of those. I was also delighted to have owners who would take us up a notch or two, and spend big.

I'm now a hunch-backed fist-waver with a dash of cynicism. It's only taken seven years. Another seven, and I'll be like @Stuart^_^

15 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Love him or hate him, in my eyes he was a legend at Ewood and he aint a bad bloke too boot.

Good luck Big Sam, your record is an envious one to so many allegedly better managers.

yeah, good luck, 

remember to spill the beans on Venkys and Jerome when its time to write the book..........

On 25 May 2017 at 07:34, Batman. said:

Unfortunately it's true. These people have always had mouths bigger than brains, and there will be similar backtracking and finger pointing in ICINF threads of the future.

As the saying goes, "when you point the finger, there's always three pointing straight back at you..."

Not in Burnley there isn't.

It wasn't pretty, but he was effective. He wasted Kalanic, but did good things at Bolton and Blackburn. If he was in charge at Ewood Park for a few more years, we may have still be in the premier league. He's a hell of a lot better than anyone who has managed us since.

He was pretty dodgy financially though, but then again, so was everyone's favourite Redknapp, Ferguson (i.e. Rock of Gibraltar) and possibly Clough.

On 24/05/2017 at 16:54, JHRover said:

I  thought we went 3-0 up at Wolves to then draw 3-3? I was there but can't be sure. 

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

I  thought we went 3-0 up at Wolves to then draw 3-3? I was there but can't be sure. 

Away at Wolves we were 3-0 by halftime then following a Coco team talk Wolves scored 2 in the second half. The players that day won the game no thanks to liplicker.

Edit: I could not help then looking up our lineup:
Paul Robinson, Michel Salgado, Brett Emerton,Gael Givet, Christopher Samba, Phil Jones, Martin Olsson, Jermaine Jones, Steven N'Zonzi, Junior Hoilett, Jason Roberts
On the bench:
Mark Bunn, Keith Andrews, David Dunn, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Benjani, Mame Biram Diouf, Roque Santa Cruz

Archived