BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Mowbray Resigned to Losing Mahoney

Rovers boss Tony Mowbray has told the Lancashire Telegraph that despite Connor Mahoney being offered a new deal he expects that the youngster will reject the deal and sign for another club.  Mowbray said   “I have sat opposite and spoke with him two or three times and tried to advise him on his career.

“For me he should stay and play 100 games for this club over the next two seasons and if his talent dictates that he outgrows us and he has an offer from the Premier League, and we’re stuck in the Championship in two years time, then I wouldn’t stand in his way. Personally I have told him that the most important thing is that he plays football.

“If he goes and gets a better contract offer but is sat on the bench then they would be wasted years for him.  It does not look like that advice has been heeded, it looks as though he is going to test the market, but all I can do is advise him to think about football and then his talent will decide everything else.”

Due to Mahoney being under 24 and having been offered a deal Rovers would be due compensation.  This can be either mutually agreed with the club he signs for or be set by a tribunal.  However the money that Rovers will eventually receive will be well below Mahoney's market value.

View full article

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Productive talks with Venky's, eh Tony?

For what it's worth, a lot of us have been resigned to losing him for a while....

This story is at least a month old and just recycled by lazy journos at the LT.

Strike one in the new age of Rao spending is against them, what a suprise.

Mowbray has a lot to learn about the Raos.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

This story is at least a month old and just recycled by lazy journos at the LT.

Strike one in the new age of Rao spending is against them, what a suprise.

Mowbray has a lot to learn about the Raos.

As others have alluded to, at least Mowbray has the excuse of being relatively new.

I am amazed at the levels of joy and optimism, (on social media more than on here), which have followed Mowbray's quotes about his meetings with the Raos.

It's evident that some people simply never learn.

• Like 5

The only one making the wrong decision here is Mahoney and his agent. He could barely nail down a starting place here and never lived up to the expectations some fans had of him. It just shows how much last season stunk that people actually care Mahoney is leaving. The best thing he could have done is stay here a year or two and get some games under his belt at a club where some fans think very highly of him. Now, watch him go somewhere like Preston and repeat the cycle he had here of not being a regular first team starter in a mid table championship club. 

How much compensation will we get for him? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

Mahoney is still just 20. He can develop in many ways good and also bad.

The fault is at Rovers for not getting him signed to a longer contract a year or so ago.

We spend a fortune on the likes of Stokes but penny pinch on Mahoney and will now get sfa.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

substitute Mahoney for Mulgew, Lenihan, Steele, Graham

this will run all summer once the window opens

completely predictable 

Spot on. It is going to be repetitive and depressing. Thank goodness the Cricket is back.

Do we know whether Mahoney has even been offered a new deal? Or is the temptation of £100-£150k compo too much to turn down for someone who was last season a squad player/regular in U23s in the first half of the season?

If he has been offered a new deal, is that offer a serious, respectable offer, or is it a derisory wage reduction that tells the player that we don't really want to keep him? (see Ben Marshall and Jason Lowe for examples).

When clubs like PNE and Barnsley are offering substantially higher wages than we are its time to cry.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Mahoney is still just 20. He can develop in many ways good and also bad.

The fault is at Rovers for not getting him signed to a longer contract a year or so ago.

We spend a fortune on the likes of Stokes but penny pinch on Mahoney and will now get sfa.

The real slap in the face is that the compo we get for Mahoney will be about 10% of the pay-off Stokes gets for the remaining 2 years on his deal.

• Like 1

Just now, pick32 said:

I'm sorry but it's only because he is local, I thought Fabio nunes and josh Morris had a lot better cameos. Mahoney was good for the last 15mins in a few games that's all.

He is still very much at the start of his career development and shows good promise.

My point is that Rovers have managed the situation badly and now Mahoney can just walk with chicken feed as compo coming back to Rovers. I mean the fat gits party fund.

Just now, pick32 said:

I'm sorry but it's only because he is local, I thought Fabio nunes and josh Morris had a lot better cameos. Mahoney was good for the last 15mins in a few games that's all.

Google Nunes to see the wonderful career he is having. Same could be said for most of the portugeezers (and Vucksevic) that were brought here being lauded as half-decent footballers. Mahoney is a local lad, 20 years old, and has good potential - which will see him snapped up somewhere else (probably Championship level) whereas i dont recall anyone else int his league or any other in the UK wanting Nunes.

Can't say I'm overly upset about losing Mahoney.  Having watched him for the past few years it seems to me that he is something of a luxury player at the moment.  Lacks the work ethic of someone like Bennett, which is the minimum requirement of someone playing in his position.  Like others who have left thinking the grass is greener somewhere else he may well find his career reaching a dead end.  If he'd stayed he would certainly have had to have toughened up for League One defenders.  At the moment he is a lad with potential which may, or may not be realised at some point in the future.

• Like 3

Do I want him to say? Of course, Blackburn lad, decent winger with the kind of set piece delivery that would be an asset in League 1.

However, let's be honest, 6 years ago he'd have just been another Keith Treacy/Josh Morris, we now just have much lower expectations and standards.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The real slap in the face is that the compo we get for Mahoney will be about 10% of the pay-off Stokes gets for the remaining 2 years on his deal.

This says Mowbray wants Stokes to stay (Scottish paper) - http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/05/25/former-celtic-boss-tony-mowbray-admits-wants-keep-hibs-target-anthony-stokes-blackburn-rovers/?platform=hootsuite

EDIT - Saying that it just mentions Mowbray wanting to keep all contracted player, not much about stokes

Edited by AAK

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Do we know whether Mahoney has even been offered a new deal? Or is the temptation of £100-£150k compo too much to turn down for someone who was last season a squad player/regular in U23s in the first half of the season?

If he has been offered a new deal, is that offer a serious, respectable offer, or is it a derisory wage reduction that tells the player that we don't really want to keep him? (see Ben Marshall and Jason Lowe for examples).

When clubs like PNE and Barnsley are offering substantially higher wages than we are its time to cry.

Rules are, we have to have offered Mahoney a deal worth at least as much as his current deal was, in order to get compensation. I don't think there is a minimum contract length though.

Wow all this hand ringing for a player that plays in fits and starts, its not Rovers at fault its him and his agent, he was given a platform the latter end of the season, did he score any goals - i dont think so.

suddenly he thinks he's bigger than the club, if he wont listen to what  TM has to say his ego has got the better of him. Like many in the past that leave and think they are better off he will fade into the darkness, i even think if he goes to another championship club he sooner or later will be loaned out to league 1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suhail Slayer said:

substitute Mahoney for Mulgew, Lenihan, Steele, Graham

this will run all summer once the window opens

completely predictable 

Yes, probably. All driven by the players and their agents.

Be great if not, but I don't see what the club can do at the moment

I don't blame any of them if they want out.

Players and their agents will look for the best deal for them not what's best for the basketcase Rovers.

The club is still is freefall despite it's drive this week to go positive spin.

Just trying to push corporate and ST sales before reality bites.

It will when the overview results come in.

It is the same for every club. Contracts generally mean nothing to players these days. A friend of mine supports Leeds and he expects 2-3 of their best players to go to wherever Monk ends up. 

With regards our players, I don't see many top championships coming in for them after the seasons they had last year. Their stock is not high. They might get a little bit more money, but football wise the grass may not be greener. They could end up in another relegation battle. Instead of staying here and being involved with a club that aims to win promotion. They could leave next summer then, more money for them, more money for us and they would probably have more options. 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Do you know how arrogant your last paragraph sounds?

Its not arrogant. Its concern as to the current state of this club and the direction it is going. If Blackburn Rovers cannot afford to pay similar or the same wages as PNE/Barnsley to a local boy who is supposed to be our brightest prospect then something very serious is going wrong with this club. I'm not trying to do those clubs down, just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers, and if they can something has gone seriously wrong at Rovers.

Just now, JHRover said:

Its not arrogant. Its concern as to the current state of this club and the direction it is going. If Blackburn Rovers cannot afford to pay similar or the same wages as PNE/Barnsley to a local boy who is supposed to be our brightest prospect then something very serious is going wrong with this club. I'm not trying to do those clubs down, just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers, and if they can something has gone seriously wrong at Rovers.

You just don't get it do you " just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers".

Why not? 

Perhaps PNE / Barnsley are running there clubs in the correct manner (financially)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.