BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Mowbray Resigned to Losing Mahoney

Just now, Brownpants18 said:

You just don't get it do you " just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers".

Why not? 

Perhaps PNE / Barnsley are running there clubs in the correct manner (financially)

That's exactly JH's point!

If even as a Championship club we couldn't offer a comparable package to Barnsley, then the club has serious issues (something we all know, but we are still perfectly entitled to be fecked off about).

• Like 1

Just now, Brownpants18 said:

You just don't get it do you " just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers".

Why not? 

Perhaps PNE / Barnsley are running there clubs in the correct manner (financially)

Yes perhaps they are. And if we were then we would be able to compete with them. That's the whole basis of my point. If we were run properly, like those clubs seem to be, then we would be able to keep hold of someone like Mahoney rather than watch him join clubs like Barnsley and Preston.

Get over it lads (and lassies) Mahoney is NOT THAT GOOD to warrant a shed load of cash. Yes he is local but he has to go where his agent decides and in this case it isn't skill that is dictating its the cash cow of being a footballer.

He is 20yrs of age, if he was going to be a superstar then he would be a first team player and the name on any half decent Premier League team, truth is he isn't, he is linked with Barnsley FC ! Yes Sunderland were mentioned in one red top but since then it is all Barnsley so that sort of shows the standard he will be at.

Compared to the likes of Dunny and Duffer at that age he is far from that class.

If Mahoney goes for the cash, there is no guarantee that he will play week in week out. There never is that kind of guarantee.

There is no loyalty with the players it is all about money money and more money, it is as simple as that.

So, for me, I am not to concerned that he is gone or is testing the market, Rovers need players who can put on that shirt with pride, show some grit, effort and pride for the job they do and players who can work, improve and then reach their ambitions because of it using Rovers as a positive way to reach it. Mahoney, even in his tender years, has his eyes turned by the money and the agents who have ruined the game and made players more powerful than ever !

Rovers are better off without

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Baz said:

Rules are, we have to have offered Mahoney a deal worth at least as much as his current deal was, in order to get compensation. I don't think there is a minimum contract length though.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we have offered him a lower wage and don't qualify for compo. If his current contract has a Championship wage and a League One wage then it would still represent a pay cut in real terms for Mahoney.

2 hours ago, EgyptianPete said:

Wow all this hand ringing for a player that plays in fits and starts, its not Rovers at fault its him and his agent, he was given a platform the latter end of the season, did he score any goals - i dont think so.

suddenly he thinks he's bigger than the club, if he wont listen to what  TM has to say his ego has got the better of him. Like many in the past that leave and think they are better off he will fade into the darkness, i even think if he goes to another championship club he sooner or later will be loaned out to league 1.

Fits and starts? This lad is at the start of his career and will develop. Of course he won't be the finished article.

Better than the club? Ego? Tell you what, have a chat with the lad and get back to me. A more humble person you will struggle to find. What has happened for Rovers and for him will have torn his heart out. But at the end of the day, Venkys do not value players or understand football. We have downgraded season on season and will continue to do so.

I wish him well. He certainly deserves better than to be messed about by Venkys' Rovers - and that's on top of being messed about by Coyle.

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we have offered him a lower wage and don't qualify for compo. If his current contract has a Championship wage and a League One wage then it would still represent a pay cut in real terms for Mahoney.

Fits and starts? This lad is at the start of his career and will develop. Of course he won't be the finished article.

Better than the club? Ego? Tell you what, have a chat with the lad and get back to me. A more humble person you will struggle to find. What has happened for Rovers and for him will have torn his heart out. But at the end of the day, Venkys do not value players or understand football. We have downgraded season on season and will continue to do so.

I wish him well. He certainly deserves better than to be messed about by Venkys' Rovers - and that's on top of being messed about by Coyle.

Torn his heart out, are you having a laugh? He has accomplished very little in football and is being offered a few thousand and pounds a week to stay here, but has decided that he wants to go to a mid/lower championship team for more money. Torn his heart out...comical. Mowbray has also said we are getting compensation if he leaves, so you should probably read up on the subject. 

I don't even know what you are getting at about him being messed around. Some managers fancy players, others don't. He wasn't even a regular starter under Mowbray and I bet he won't be wherever he ends up. 

For a "humble guy" it sounds to me like he is a bit sulky and demanding going off what you are saying. Do you know him well? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Torn his heart out, are you having a laugh? He has accomplished very little in football and is being offered a few thousand and pounds a week to stay here, but has decided that he wants to go to a mid/lower championship team for more money. Torn his heart out...comical. Mowbray has also said we are getting compensation if he leaves, so you should probably read up on the subject. 

I don't even know what you are getting at about him being messed around. Some managers fancy players, others don't. He wasn't even a regular starter under Mowbray and I bet he won't be wherever he ends up. 

For a "humble guy" it sounds to me like he is a bit sulky and demanding going off what you are saying. Do you know him well? 

So if you were earning around £50k/year and you were offered a raise to £75k/year, you wouldn't jump at someone else offering you around £150k/year? Bear in mind your career is unlikely to last beyond another 15 years.

That's pretty much the scenario he is in.

Just now, Mike E said:

So if you were earning around £50k/year and you were offered a raise to £75k/year, you wouldn't jump at someone else offering you around £150k/year? Bear in mind your career is unlikely to last beyond another 15 years.

That's pretty much the scenario he is in.

If it was my hometown team, I would live on 75,000 a year for one year to try and help them if they needed me and the manager wanted me to stay. Particularly if I was only 20-21 ,with my entire career in front of me. I'm sure I would manage. Plus ,if Mahoney stayed here he could live with his parents and not have any additional expenses like rent :P 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Speak to the guy and then give me your opinion.

Or carry on dreaming about Venkys.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If it was my hometown team, I would live on 75,000 a year for one year to try and help them if they needed me and the manager wanted me to stay. Particularly if I was only 20-21 ,with my entire career in front of me. I'm sure I would manage. Plus ,if Mahoney stayed here he could live with his parents and not have any additional expenses like rent :P 

That's not realistic if I was a footballer I'd have no loyalty what so ever, I'd be collecting my cash on long contracts being the best I could be to earn my next move and even more money. Clubs are stupid and paying silly salaries it's time to milk it for a short career and put enough away for an easy retirement.

Ambition comes in many forms

Just now, Dunnfc said:

That's not realistic if I was a footballer I'd have no loyalty what so ever, I'd be collecting my cash on long contracts being the best I could be to earn my next move and even more money. Clubs are stupid and paying silly salaries it's time to milk it for a short career and put enough away for an easy retirement.

Ambition comes in many forms

At this moment in time when a large number of fans refuse to go to watch the club they support because of the owners - I think we would be churlish to expect some form of loyalty to the club in it's current state.

Having said all that - I do think that Mowbray is right - he would be better staying at his home town club and developing his game prior to (hopefully) better things. He is currently a long way from the finished article - and staying at his local club would IMO help his development (especially now we have a proper experienced manager). I won't be devastated if he leaves - he showed some early promise when he came into the team under Mowbray - but faded badly, and poor decision making and defending on his part showed how much he has to learn.

• Like 1

I fear he is another player we're going to see rise above our level, I don't blame the lad. Football has a short career span and you have to squeeze every last ounce out of it. He will know exactly what is happening behind the scenes at our club, why would he want to sign up for what's on offer at the moment.

Jesus I don't get this poor mouth for players. Mahoney could earn at least 100,000 a year here. That is  a very good salary for someone of his age. If he backed himself, he would spend a year here with a promotion related salary increase and actually be a hero. Instead he is going to go to Barnsley. Enough said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

If we have matched his current contract in its terms (including relegation cuts or promotion bonuses etc) then it's like for like and we'll be due compensation. Unless he moves out of England and goes say to Celtic (Connor Mahoney sounds like Scottish/ Irish heritage to me)

I can only go off what I was told around Easter time- the contract he was offered was hardly an improvement on his youth terms.

First team squad member who rightly believes he can get far better elsewhere. Just a strange way of doing business, especially when you think of what Stokes will be earning...

• Like 5

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I can only go off what I was told around Easter time- the contract he was offered was hardly an improvement on his youth terms.

First team squad member who rightly believes he can get far better elsewhere. Just a strange way of doing business, especially when you think of what Stokes will be earning...

Yes, it's the juxtaposition that shows up the madness/badness...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jesus I don't get this poor mouth for players. Mahoney could earn at least 100,000 a year here. That is  a very good salary for someone of his age. If he backed himself, he would spend a year here with a promotion related salary increase and actually be a hero. Instead he is going to go to Barnsley. Enough said. 

With respect I think you are not grasping the realities here, you are a fan and looking at it from a fans perspective.

Connor will most definitely be looking at his next move, as it's his employment for the near future. If a Championship club have offered him 8000 a week ( which is the case) and a 3 year contract, you do the maths.

His Dad used to come on here bemoaning the fact that his son was never picked. His son starts getting picked and he does one as soon as he can.

I blame the parents;)

Good luck to him. He never achieved anything at Rovers and never will. As a Rover himself that's his loss. Shame for both parties really, but he'll obviously be a lot richer if he leaves. Oh well...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brownpants18 said:

With respect I think you are not grasping the realities here, you are a fan and looking at it from a fans perspective.

Connor will most definitely be looking at his next move, as it's his employment for the near future. If a Championship club have offered him 8000 a week ( which is the case) and a 3 year contract, you do the maths.

How do you know he has been offered that?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

His Dad used to come on here bemoaning the fact that his son was never picked. His son starts getting picked and he does one as soon as he can.

I blame the parents;)

Good luck to him. He never achieved anything at Rovers and never will. As a Rover himself that's his loss. Shame for both parties really, but he'll obviously be a lot richer if he leaves. Oh well...

Didn't know that. It's obvious the agent gets in his ear and convinces him he can get more money else where along with endorsements etc. More money for Connor =more money for agent.

I could not see him getting into a top 10 team. 

Best of luck Connor. Hope the grass is greener 

Just now, Irishrover213 said:

Didn't know that. It's obvious the agent gets in his ear and convinces him he can get more money else where along with endorsements etc. More money for Connor =more money for agent.

I could not see him getting into a top 10 team. 

Best of luck Connor. Hope the grass is greener 

When Mowbray first started discussing the Mahoney situation in the LT a couple of months ago he was pointing fingers in the agents direction. Then again, if Rovers are only offering £2k and someone else is offering £8k then it's a bit of a no brainer really.

I lay partial blame at Coyle's door, we were losing all the time and he still wouldn't pick Mahoney. I'd imagine Mahoney's head started turning then.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

When Mowbray first started discussing the Mahoney situation in the LT a couple of months ago he was pointing fingers in the agents direction. Then again, if Rovers are only offering £2k and someone else is offering £8k then it's a bit of a no brainer really.

I lay partial blame at Coyle's door, we were losing all the time and he still wouldn't pick Mahoney. I'd imagine Mahoney's head started turning then.

To be fair I wouldn't listen to anything coyle would have said to me. I'd say so he probably only put him and tomilson on against man utd to earn the venkys money in the summer. 

I don't think he was Mowbrays type of player as it showed her rarely featured after barnsley. Wasn't picked for Brentford game as I'd say Mowbray knew he was on why out 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Its not arrogant. Its concern as to the current state of this club and the direction it is going. If Blackburn Rovers cannot afford to pay similar or the same wages as PNE/Barnsley to a local boy who is supposed to be our brightest prospect then something very serious is going wrong with this club. I'm not trying to do those clubs down, just that they shouldn't be able to offer significantly more money than Rovers, and if they can something has gone seriously wrong at Rovers.

I doubt that this is about wages, seems more like Mahoney simply thinks he can and should do better than playing League 1 football. 

• Backroom

Shame to see him go but he's been very hit and miss and is hardly 17 / 18, we failed him by not having him out on loan, those early years can be great development in roughing players up. His naivety could have cost us dearly against PNE before Gallagher did and he was the worst player on the pitch against Bristol.

I think he will make a decent championship player in time though and we'd be a stronger squad for having him in it. At this point though he's looked like a decent substitute agaisnt tired legs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.