BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Mowbray Resigned to Losing Mahoney

Just now, donnermeat said:

If someone has offered him 8k per week then they need their head (or their eyes) checking. Crackers.

Football 2017 needs its head checking.

Such a shame some fans are now going to demonise the lad. He's shown desire more going forward than anyone since Hoilett and has been messed around for years whilst under contract. Is it any wonder he wants to consider his options before signing up for another 2-3 years with this basket case of a club? There is still uncertainly as to whether Mowbray will see his assurances backed up with funds. If they aren't he could walk. Hardly a great environment for a developing player.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Football 2017 needs its head checking.

Such a shame some fans are now going to demonise the lad. He's shown desire more going forward than anyone since Hoilett and has been messed around for years whilst under contract. Is it any wonder he wants to consider his options before signing up for another 2-3 years with this basket case of a club? There is still uncertainly as to whether Mowbray will see his assurances backed up with funds. If they aren't he could walk. Hardly a great environment for a developing player.

Saying he should potentially take the advice of TM or being not "overly" bothered (in the scheme of things) that he's leaving is not "demonising" and I think that'll be 95% of rovers fans responses.

Bigger problems at hand. I certainly rate Conway, Cairney, Marshall, King and even Kazim Kazim all better at going forward than him since Hoilett also. 

2 hours ago, donnermeat said:

If someone has offered him 8k per week then they need their head (or their eyes) checking. Crackers.

Couldn't agree more.  The lad has potential in the same way Keith Treacy and Sergio Peter looked to have potential at one stage but both failed to make the most of it.  However, if someone is offering silly money for the next three years I can fully understand why he would want to move.  Whilst he might not play much football for the next few years it would certainly give him a solid financial platform for the rest of his life. 

• Like 2

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Couldn't agree more.  The lad has potential in the same way Keith Treacy and Sergio Peter looked to have potential at one stage but both failed to make the most of it.  However, if someone is offering silly money for the next three years I can fully understand why he would want to move.  Whilst he might not play much football for the next few years it would certainly give him a solid financial platform for the rest of his life. 

As a fan of Bowyer and Lowe, I expect attack-minded players must be a frustration to you.

Just exactly how loyal has Lowe been considering he was an ever present last season and therefore instrumental in our relegation?

But no, kick the young lads instead of the proven failures.

Just now, Stuart said:

As a fan of Bowyer and Lowe, I expect attack-minded players must be a frustration to you.

Just exactly how loyal has Lowe been considering he was an ever present last season and therefore instrumental in our relegation?

I've watched Mahoney for a few years now in the Under-21/Under-23 and he is exactly the same as Treacy and Peter - a lad with potential who may or may not make it.  As for the bit about attack-minded players - you really do talk some rubbish Stuart.  I was brought up on attacking players - Dougie, McEvoy, Pickering, Fergie etc.   At the moment I simply haven't seen anything in Mahoney that would warrant the club paying him £8,000 + grand a week in our present situation.  If the lad can get that somewhere then good luck to him, as I said, it will give him a good financial platform for the rest of his life and I'm sure most of us would be happy to take it.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Bowyer signed Mahoney.

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

What I have heard from someone who knows him personally.

Fair enough I suppose, but I find it hard to believe having met the lad and from stories my nephew tells, having been his classmate throughout secondary.

We all have our sources, I guess.

18 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I've watched Mahoney for a few years now in the Under-21/Under-23 and he is exactly the same as Treacy and Peter - a lad with potential who may or may not make it.  As for the bit about attack-minded players - you really do talk some rubbish Stuart.  I was brought up on attacking players - Dougie, McEvoy, Pickering, Fergie etc.   At the moment I simply haven't seen anything in Mahoney that would warrant the club paying him £8,000 + grand a week in our present situation.  If the lad can get that somewhere then good luck to him, as I said, it will give him a good financial platform for the rest of his life and I'm sure most of us would be happy to take it.

From an attacking prospective do any of the young lads excite you ?

16 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bowyer signed Mahoney.

Under his watch but it was actually Bowyer's trusted friend Eric Kinder who brought Conor back to the club .

I side with parsonsblues view on Conor though was surprised he came back to the club after only receiving average reports from scouts who'd gone to watch him at Stanley.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JAL said:

From an attacking prospective do any of the young lads excite you ?

To be honest I can't say I've been impressed with many of our attacking players for some time now.  I think I'd go back to the likes of Bell, Walters, Foster, Richards and Beattie to remember any youngsters who actually looked a cut above the rest.  I think Butterworth may have a bit about him - reminds me a little of a young Simon Garner in terms of style but it's very early days to make a judgement on him. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Fair enough I suppose, but I find it hard to believe having met the lad and from stories my nephew tells, having been his classmate throughout secondary.

We all have our sources, I guess.

He wasn't a professional footballer in secondary school though.

Just now, den said:

And Marrow.

Well for every oversight there was the odd success story. :rolleyes:

I think Bowyer's recruitment success was a creditable 50%. If only we had had an actual manager to get the best out of them.

Just now, Stuart said:

Well for every oversight there was the odd success story. :rolleyes:

I think Bowyer's recruitment success was a creditable 50%. If only we had had an actual manager to get the best out of them.

There's a lot of luck and fortune involved in bringing players in, especially loan players. The usual way with this is that managers looking for loans just ring round clubs asking if they have anyone available. Loan players aren't usually scouted or watched as permanent signings SHOULD be. Some work out, many don't, but getting players on loan is usually down to the loaning club manager, than the manager taking a player.

Just now, den said:

There's a lot of luck and fortune involved in bringing players in, especially loan players. The usual way with this is that managers looking for loans just ring round clubs asking if they have anyone available. Loan players aren't usually scouted or watched as permanent signings SHOULD be. Some work out, many don't, but getting players on loan is usually down to the loaning club manager, than the manager taking a player.

Ringing up clubs to see if they have anyone available? That's lower league management and borderline amateur behaviour.

What a nonsense. If that's the case I've clearly been giving Gaz too much credit. It was just luck after all. 50% was merely the law of averages.

Just now, Stuart said:

Ringing up clubs to see if they have anyone available? That's lower league management and borderline amateur behaviour.

What a nonsense. If that's the case I've clearly been giving Gaz too much credit. It was just luck after all. 50% was merely the law of averages.

There's no way anyone at Ewood has scouted the dozens and dozens of loans we've had over the last few years.

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Rudy Gestede - 200k - HIT

Tom Cairney - 500k - HIT

Shane Duffy - 1million - HIT

Ben Marshall - 1million - HIT

Corry Evans - 500k - HIT

Jason Steele - 100k - HIT

Craig Conway - 100k - HIT

Danny Guthrie - Free - HIT

Alex Baptiste - Loan - HIT

Tom Lawrence - Loan - HIT

Chris Taylor - Free - HIT

Tommy Spurr - Free - HIT

Matthew Kilgallon - Free - HIT

Michael Keane - Loan - HIT

Alan Judge - Free - HIT (Was sold for Profit- now shing)

Connor Mahoney - 30k - HIT

Bengali Fode Koita - Free - 50/50 (After 5 months sold for Profit 350k)

Ryan Tunnicliffe - Loan - 50/50

Jay Spearing - Loan - MISS

Liam Feeney - Loan - MISS

Alex Marrow - Free - MISS

Hope Akpan - Free - MISS

Modou Barrow - Loan - Miss (Now a huge hit in Swansea)

Chris Brown - Free - MISS

Nathan Deflouneso - Free - MISS

Luke Varney - Free - MISS

Sacha Petshi - Free - MISS

Yann Songo'o - Free - MISS

Paul Taylor - ST Loan - MISS

Bryan Dabo - Loan - MISS (Now a huge hit in France)

• Backroom

Some of those hits are generous Lawrence didn't do much and Steele has been one of the worst keepers in the league consistently.

Not sure Evans has been value for money either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Rudy Gestede - 200k - HIT

Tom Cairney - 500k - HIT

Shane Duffy - 1million - HIT

Ben Marshall - 1million - HIT

Corry Evans - 500k - HIT

Jason Steele - 100k - HIT

Craig Conway - 100k - HIT

Danny Guthrie - Free - HIT

Alex Baptiste - Loan - HIT

Tom Lawrence - Loan - HIT

Chris Taylor - Free - HIT

Tommy Spurr - Free - HIT

Matthew Kilgallon - Free - HIT

Michael Keane - Loan - HIT

Alan Judge - Free - HIT (Was sold for Profit- now shing)

Connor Mahoney - 30k - HIT

Bengali Fode Koita - Free - 50/50 (After 5 months sold for Profit 350k)

Ryan Tunnicliffe - Loan - 50/50

Jay Spearing - Loan - MISS

Liam Feeney - Loan - MISS

Alex Marrow - Free - MISS

Hope Akpan - Free - MISS

Modou Barrow - Loan - Miss (Now a huge hit in Swansea)

Chris Brown - Free - MISS

Nathan Deflouneso - Free - MISS

Luke Varney - Free - MISS

Sacha Petshi - Free - MISS

Yann Songo'o - Free - MISS

Paul Taylor - ST Loan - MISS

Bryan Dabo - Loan - MISS (Now a huge hit in France)

Interesting. A bit generous for me.

I would say Lawrence and Taylor were misses. Corry Evans is a miss-an expensive one too(salary). He flatters to deceive and seems to miss more games than he plays.

Judge I would class as a miss because Bowyer simply wasted him and we could have had a £7million+ player in our team.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

To be honest I can't say I've been impressed with many of our attacking players for some time now.  I think I'd go back to the likes of Bell, Walters, Foster, Richards and Beattie to remember any youngsters who actually looked a cut above the rest.  I think Butterworth may have a bit about him - reminds me a little of a young Simon Garner in terms of style but it's very early days to make a judgement on him. 

Likewise parsonsblue cant say I'm impressed by anyone at the various levels I've seenfrom an attacking point of view.

Edited by JAL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.