BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Venus Joins as assistant to Mowbray

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Ha! Some consistency there! Has any Venky appointment over the last 7 years ever won anything?

Clement with Chelsea as number 2 to Ancelotti

Black with Aberdeen as a player

Berg with Rovers and Man Utd as a player

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Words of caution from the Coventry Telegraph:

"Venus, who was tasked with heading up the recruitment department at Coventry, whose own ambitions to get out of League One back-fired spectacularly when they were relegated to League Two last season"

"In terms of policies we have gone wrong - we haven’t recruited the right players. It is not just one or two, but three transfer windows"

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/former-coventry-city-technical-director-13145209

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clement with Chelsea as number 2 to Ancelotti

Black with Aberdeen as a player

Berg with Rovers and Man Utd as a player

Sorry Chaddy, I thought everyone would realise that I meant winning something IN MANAGEMENT! Clement---bloody hell I'd forgotten he was ever here but Ancellotti won the League, Clement won nothing.

If we are talking player careers, how come you left out Lambert (admittedly in Scotland)? As a manager he got Norwich successive promotions and that's the nearest we get.Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted and relegated!

So Venkys have appointed 7 managers none of whom have ever won anything, some ambition that!

Anyway good to see you reply when you want to.

17 minutes ago, 47er said:

Sorry Chaddy, I thought everyone would realise that I meant winning something IN MANAGEMENT! Clement---bloody hell I'd forgotten he was ever here but Ancellotti won the League, Clement won nothing.

If we are talking player careers, how come you left out Lambert (admittedly in Scotland)? As a manager he got Norwich successive promotions and that's the nearest we get.Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted and relegated!

So Venkys have appointed 7 managers none of whom have ever won anything, some ambition that!

Anyway good to see you reply when you want to.

In fairness, what had Howard Kendall won in MANAGEMENT prior to rocking up at Ewood?  That appointment didn't turn out too bad.  Every managerial appointment is a gamble although some - like Coyle - are fairly predictable in terms of outcome.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, what had Howard Kendall won in MANAGEMENT prior to rocking up at Ewood?  That appointment didn't turn out too bad.  Every managerial appointment is a gamble although some - like Coyle - are fairly predictable in terms of outcome.

7 in a row though? Every managerial appointment is a gamble with this lot.

Sam wasn't a gamble, you knew exactly what you were getting.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Words of caution from the Coventry Telegraph:

"Venus, who was tasked with heading up the recruitment department at Coventry, whose own ambitions to get out of League One back-fired spectacularly when they were relegated to League Two last season"

"In terms of policies we have gone wrong - we haven’t recruited the right players. It is not just one or two, but three transfer windows"

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/former-coventry-city-technical-director-13145209

I see that article calls Mowbray the head coach :)

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see that article calls Mowbray the head coach :)

To save confusion Rovers via their daily newspaper the LT will refer to TM as the No. 1, as they don't know what his job title/description is any more.;)

On the day Senior was 'resigned', I speculated on these pages that Mowbray was possibly behind the 'resignation', as he would be insistent on having his own man in to sign players. Venus was quoted in the telegraph as follows:

"At the moment, I'm really looking forward to trying to attract the right players to come to the football club to help us get the job done that we know we have to do,"  -

The use of the word 'I'm' in the above quote, says to me that Venus is the new Paul Senior by another name (Assistant Manager). This clarifies their respective roles to my mind and makes sense. Mowbray now has someone working for him and chosen by him who will bring the players in that he wants. This has to be better than having Senior in that role surely. Nothing would be worse than a manager having to coach players he didn't't necessarily want in the first place.

It seems to me that Mowbray is now in a powerful position, which I see as a positive. If the owners have some respect for him which I think they do then that makes for a healthier situation all round when you consider the way that Lambert, for example was treated.

The difference being that Mowbray won the respect of the owners, and Lambert singularly failed to do so.

1 minute ago, Colt Seavers said:

On the day Senior was 'resigned', I speculated on these pages that Mowbray was possibly behind the 'resignation', as he would be insistent on having his own man in to sign players. Venus was quoted in the telegraph as follows:

"At the moment, I'm really looking forward to trying to attract the right players to come to the football club to help us get the job done that we know we have to do,"  -

The use of the word 'I'm' in the above quote, says to me that Venus is the new Paul Senior by another name (Assistant Manager). This clarifies their respective roles to my mind and makes sense. Mowbray now has someone working for him and chosen by him who will bring the players in that he wants. This has to be better than having Senior in that role surely. Nothing would be worse than a manager having to coach players he didn't't necessarily want in the first place.

It seems to me that Mowbray is now in a powerful position, which I see as a positive. If the owners have some respect for him which I think they do then that makes for a healthier situation all round when you consider the way that Lambert, for example was treated.

The difference being that Mowbray won the respect of the owners, and Lambert singularly failed to do so.

I think you might be on to something. Venus did something similar at Coventry. At Hibs/Celtic/WBA/Boro he was a conventional assistant manager to Mowbray, but at Coventry Mowbray brought him in as a Technical Director with responsibility more geared towards recruitment rather than coaching.

Without doubt we need someone to head up recruitment. We've an awful lot of work to do and not much time to do it and presumably not much money to do it with.

Whether Venus is the right man for that role remains to be seen. Coventry fans couldn't wait to see the back of him and his signings directly or indirectly led to their relegation last season. I'm of the view that the qualities of the individuals is less important than the behaviour of the buffoons in India and so it matters not how well Venus/Mowbray do in finding the right players, unless there is authority to bring them in then it will fail.

I don't agree that Mowbray being in a powerful position is a positive however. Whilst I agree that you have to trust a manager and back his judgment we know from past experience that these owners allow personal feelings to cloud their judgment often to the detriment of the club. If Mowbray has secured promises from India great, but I don't want him to end up essentially running the club on his own and influencing everything with no power above him. That isn't healthy.

I expect Lambert could have 'won' the respect of the owners had he been willing to arrange a visit to India and spend a week out there waiting around for them to speak to him. Lambert wouldn't do that even if he could have done so that was never going to work.

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't agree that Mowbray being in a powerful position is a positive however. Whilst I agree that you have to trust a manager and back his judgment we know from past experience that these owners allow personal feelings to cloud their judgment often to the detriment of the club. If Mowbray has secured promises from India great, but I don't want him to end up essentially running the club on his own and influencing everything with no power above him. That isn't healthy.

Yes I think we essentially agree on the above. You worded my own thoughts better than I did myself!!

Another excellent post from you JHRover.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I remember people saying something similar about Gordon Lee and Jim Smith.

Totally different era but weren't they appointed by a Blackburn board who only had Blackburn Rovers intentions at heart unlike today's shower.

Looking what Cov fans have been saying I hope this doesn't turn into another set of guys getting their mates players on the books before they get sacked :o

Rovers are always wide open to that these days !

Archived