BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Venus Joins as assistant to Mowbray

Venkys world

Day 1 -Venus appointed as assistant to mowbray

rovers fans "ok,ok cautious optimism here"

Day 2-Mowbray sacked

ah no this is clearly a good move and gives us a secure foundation. It shows Mowbray is getting reign to put his stamp on things. I am optimistic we will get some good league 1 signings in. Our managemnt team know the devision very well. That's so important. Let's be honest here, most of us do not. 

As for Dunn, he can have no complaints ,he was given an early promotion last season. I'm sure he expected it was temporary. Plus he is a good role model for young rovers players. He is a rovers legend regardless of anything else. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Athlete said:

He's now manager not the dof structure you've been advocating during the last few months... 

Not according to Rovers website. 

I'm just very happy that Mowbray decide to stay and build a squad good enough go get promote this comimg season

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Ha! So the set-up hasn't changed and Mowbray is still the coach---is that right Chaddy?

So, who is the Director of Football then? :)

Whilst according to the Rovers website he is still Head Coach. 

Only going off the Site. 

Just now, USABlue said:

Surprised, with the Venus remarks, no one has mentioned "The good ship Venus".  Do those books still exist?

Or a variation of the song especially for Venky's of Friggin in the riggin featuring the good ship venus :), the brfcs swear filter would be working overtime though

16 hours ago, A cup of beans said:

1st thing that sprung to mind was from Paul and Pauline Calf : "You know what rhymes with Venus, don't you?"

"Penis."

One for the teenagers. :P

Welcome, Mark. You definitely need to make a mark.

Although it's been a year or two since I was a teenager I did chuckle at that embarrassingly :lol: good appointment for us.

15 minutes ago, JAL said:

Should we take it that this Venus fellow is the agents next caretaker manager of Rovers for when phoney Tony departs ?

Mowbray/Venus shows how far this club has fallen in a short space of time..............and for anyone advocating TM please remember Barnsley Bristol City Villa at home and wolves away anyone of those games through poor tactics relegated us....it came down to two goals yes two goals worse off than a very poor Forest..

IMHO Both Coyle and Mowbray must show some partial blame but in the grand scheme of things were both just cogs in the Venkys wheel which relegated us

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm just very happy that Mowbray decide to stay and build a squad good enough go get promote this comimg season

Only going off the Site. 

so who is DOF..the tea lady...BTW whats your hero Senior doing this summer

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Only going off the Site. 

But that isn"t what i asked you is it? I asked, if we still have the D.O.F structure as you claim, who is the D.O.F.?

I'm not going to get an answer am I?

On 2017-6-3 at 01:29, A cup of beans said:

1st thing that sprung to mind was from Paul and Pauline Calf : "You know what rhymes with Venus, don't you?"

"Penis."

One for the teenagers. :P

Welcome, Mark. You definitely need to make a mark.

With all the hilarity his name has caused already, I bet he's glad it's not Uranus.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

But that isn"t what i asked you is it? I asked, if we still have the D.O.F structure as you claim, who is the D.O.F.?

I'm not going to get an answer am I?

Leave it 47er. You have your opinion and he has Parson's his.

On 3 June 2017 at 22:34, Athlete said:

Mowbray/Venus shows how far this club has fallen in a short space of time..............and for anyone advocating TM please remember Barnsley Bristol City Villa at home and wolves away anyone of those games through poor tactics relegated us....it came down to two goals yes two goals worse off than a very poor Forest..

IMHO Both Coyle and Mowbray must show some partial blame but in the grand scheme of things were both just cogs in the Venkys wheel which relegated us

Said this all along about Mowbray.  Came in 22nd we finished 22nd. Some improvement 

My concern is that once again the club is approaching this with too much of a short term gamble view by throwing everything behind Mowbray and just hoping it works out, with no idea what to do in the event that it doesn't.

I've no problem at all that they want Mowbray to carry on, I'm quite happy for him to do that as I think he deserves the opportunity and has been a vast improvement on his predecessor. I'm happy he is allowed to bring in his own staff.

My problem is that we appear to be reaching a stage once again where the manager is the only one at the club with any role to play. Mowbray is the only one who has had access to the owners, spoken to them, knows what is going on. Lets assume he is right and they are going to back him and allow him to bring in the 10+ players that we currently need, more if people are sold. What happens if the players Mowbray signs aren't good enough or are another big waste of money? The whole cycle then starts again with another manager costing fortunes to turn it around.

I think for a club like this with these owners we need something else. We need a board structure in place that will be there above the manager and will have the ability to change the manager if needed. We need some sort of Chairman/D of F/CEO in place to take the manager to task and work with him on signings, not just hand over complete authority to the manager.

It isn't healthy for a manager to have so much influence. There needs to be some other power at the club that exists independently of the manager who can oversee a transition to a different manager if results aren't good enough without the need for a complete rebuild every year.

I thought they were going down this route by appointing a Director of Football. I was suspicious of Senior's background and qualifications for the job but at least he appeared to in place to hold the manager to account, prevent obscene money being wasted on poor signings, and act on a new manager if needed. I don't necessarily agree that we need a Director of Football to throw players upon the manager and insist he uses them, but someone who can work with the manager on targets and perhaps veto them if needed.

Now we appear to be caught in the middle ground once again. A 'head coach' but nobody else. I worry that in 6 months time if we're bottom half of the table who is going to be around to make the difficult call?

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

My concern is that once again the club is approaching this with too much of a short term gamble view by throwing everything behind Mowbray and just hoping it works out, with no idea what to do in the event that it doesn't.

I've no problem at all that they want Mowbray to carry on, I'm quite happy for him to do that as I think he deserves the opportunity and has been a vast improvement on his predecessor. I'm happy he is allowed to bring in his own staff.

My problem is that we appear to be reaching a stage once again where the manager is the only one at the club with any role to play. Mowbray is the only one who has had access to the owners, spoken to them, knows what is going on. Lets assume he is right and they are going to back him and allow him to bring in the 10+ players that we currently need, more if people are sold. What happens if the players Mowbray signs aren't good enough or are another big waste of money? The whole cycle then starts again with another manager costing fortunes to turn it around.

I think for a club like this with these owners we need something else. We need a board structure in place that will be there above the manager and will have the ability to change the manager if needed. We need some sort of Chairman/D of F/CEO in place to take the manager to task and work with him on signings, not just hand over complete authority to the manager.

It isn't healthy for a manager to have so much influence. There needs to be some other power at the club that exists independently of the manager who can oversee a transition to a different manager if results aren't good enough without the need for a complete rebuild every year.

I thought they were going down this route by appointing a Director of Football. I was suspicious of Senior's background and qualifications for the job but at least he appeared to in place to hold the manager to account, prevent obscene money being wasted on poor signings, and act on a new manager if needed. I don't necessarily agree that we need a Director of Football to throw players upon the manager and insist he uses them, but someone who can work with the manager on targets and perhaps veto them if needed.

Now we appear to be caught in the middle ground once again. A 'head coach' but nobody else. I worry that in 6 months time if we're bottom half of the table who is going to be around to make the difficult call?

This is exactly why there is no reason for optimism.

Same mistakes being made yet again.

I also don't get the reason for such an inflated level of belief in a manager, (& now his assistant), who left their previous club at the foot of League One.

Yes, he got some results with us late last season, but we are now in a completely different situation where a rebuilding process is required.

I hope Tony succeeds, but certainly not holding my breath.

Just now, martonrover said:

This is exactly why there is no reason for optimism.

Same mistakes being made yet again.

I also don't get the reason for such an inflated level of belief in a manager, (& now his assistant), who left their previous club at the foot of League One.

Yes, he got some results with us late last season, but we are now in a completely different situation where a rebuilding process is required.

I hope Tony succeeds, but certainly not holding my breath.

Was he any better than the hapless Coyle.. Unfortunately the table said he wasn't 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

A manager on a budget should have a wish list that he gives to the recruiter role (call it whatever you will) and they do his dirty work for him. It may not be an individual name but maybe a position and type. "Go and find me two centre midfielders - one box-to-box and one with a tackle in him". If it's not an individual then the club scouts should be on the alert and that group should already have lists that they can call from. If a candidate is found and available then maybe he comes in for a trial so the manager can get a good look at him and talk to the player. (The manager should have the final say on every player). Any negotiation should then be handed over to the chairman - forget this director of football hoohah. If they can't agree a deal they go back to the list. If we were in the market for speaking to players attached to other clubs (we aren't) then the manager needs to have a good knowledge of players out there (at this level) and be able to choose a name. Again then hand over to the chairman.

Two problems with this. The first is that we don't have a chairman and the Indian chairperson wouldn't know a football if one hit her in the face - which is unlikely if she doesn't even attend games let alone chair board meetings at Ewood. We are simply a Venkys subsidiary with an operations manager reporting to India.

The other problem is that the reality of football is that agents have control and will want deals doing which 'activate the market'. Favours rule and we end up having players foisted on us: One Marrow for every Marshall. "A said yer buy one..."

On paper frees and loans seem a sound idea as it mostly avoids agents and give the club more control. But football isn't played on paper and it requires quality and loyalty - or at least commitment. This route offers very little of either. Plus, modern day players are precious creatures. They need to feel wanted and loved but it's hard to get attached to a player who is either crap or won't be here in a few months.

Youth players and the first ever League 2 team with a Cat 1 academy it is then!

Just now, robbojohnno said:

@Athlete Weren't we 2nd bottom when Mowbray arrived? Mowbray was a million miles better than Coyle, the points per game are evidence of this. Unfortunately the damage had already been done despite a very good end of season run.

Correct. Plus others in the mix picked up points too. Plus Huddersfix. Plus 'Arrycrap. Plus Whatever.

On reflection though Mowbray's selection did drop points in winnable games.

Coyle would have got us 23rd or even bottom.

Overall our relegation was not Mowbray's fault but his desire not to loose games cost us.

I am ok he's staying but not sure about his property developer mate.

Anyway I still doubt that Mowbray will be with us come September. His will, heart and desire for the beautiful game may well have been crushed by then.

44 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

@Athlete Weren't we 2nd bottom when Mowbray arrived? Mowbray was a million miles better than Coyle, the points per game are evidence of this. Unfortunately the damage had already been done despite a very good end of season run.

He was, of course, better than Coyle, but that really isn't anything to write home about.

However, as far I am concerned an honourable failure does not prove he is the right man for the job going forwards.

Additionally, as JH Rover correctly points out, the inadequate boardroom infrastructure makes it an almost impossible job for anyone.

By and large I know I'm preaching to the converted on here, but I still see plenty of optimism on social media.

Don't see any positives in bringing this guy in tbh.

Proven failure elsewhere, spent a majority of his career side by side watching teams slide with TM whom seemed to do ok/better without him.

Another wage, would prefer someone who's a little more of a winner personally.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Don't see any positives in bringing this guy in tbh.

Proven failure elsewhere, spent a majority of his career side by side watching teams slide with TM whom seemed to do ok/better without him.

Another wage, would prefer someone who's a little more of a winner personally.

each manager has his own man he like to work with.

Him and Mowbray had success at WBA and somewhat at Boro when you consider the Budget cuts he had to deal with then.

According to Nixon, Lowe will be staying as part of Mowbray staff and Dunn going back to the under 23's but looks like Benson is staying with first team as GK coach.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

each manager has his own man he like to work with.

Him and Mowbray had success at WBA and somewhat at Boro when you consider the Budget cuts he had to deal with then.

According to Nixon, Lowe will be staying as part of Mowbray staff and Dunn going back to the under 23's but looks like Benson is staying with first team as GK coach.

So we still can't get a proper goalie coach in.... enough said.

Shambles, i geniniley cba anymore. 

Archived