BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brockhall Training Grounds-Asset Of Community Value

Brockhall – An Asset of Community Value

Brockhall is an important asset for Blackburn Rovers Football Club. The Senior Training Ground and Academy are part of the legacy Jack Walker wanted the club and its supporters to enjoy and benefit from for very many years. The Rovers Trust is applying for Asset of Community Value (ACV) status over Brockhall. We need your help and support in putting together a successful application.

What is an ACV?

The Asset of Community Value concept was introduced by the Localism Act 2011. The test is that the property ‘is in a current use that furthers the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community.’

The principal effect of listing is a moratorium (i.e. a period of delay) on the disposal of the land by the owners. It aims to prevent the sale of socially important assets without notice and without giving any community interest group the opportunity to be treated as a potential bidder. The six-month moratorium would allow any community group a more realistic timeframe for raising funds and bring community and political influence to bear on any potential sale.

It is important to note the limitations of this protection. It grants a right to bid and not a right to buy. At the end of the moratorium the owners can sell to whomever they want at whatever price they want.

The Brockhall application

The Rovers Trust was successful in getting an ACV over Ewood Park in 2013, which continues to this day and is renewed by the Trust when necessary. We worked with Blackburn with Darwen Council on this.

Brockhall is in the Ribble Valley and we will be working with Ribble Valley Borough Council on the application and for a different type of asset. The social wellbeing and community interest aspect of a football stadium is perhaps more obvious than for a training ground & academy, but we feel that we have arguments that satisfy the legal test. They are –

1.        That Blackburn Rovers FC is a hugely important social, cultural and sporting institution to the Ribble Valley community and that Brockhall is an integral part of that institution. We can put together a strong dossier on the successes of the academy and the crucial role it can play in the club’s current parlous financial state.

We would like to hear, especially from Ribble Valley residents, on the deep connections between the club and the Ribble Valley.

2.        That Brockhall is used directly as an asset of community value.

Again, we would really like to hear from you with examples such as visits to the training ground, watching academy matches, open days and charity events – anything involving and engaging with the public.

Please help us to protect the assets of our club by sending anything (from personal anecdotes, hard data or links to further sources) that could strengthen the evidence base for these arguments to michael.doherty@roverstrust.co.uk

What has changed since the last time the ACV was approved? Hope you have already got the previous application details and are simply adding to it. No need to embellish what was already a sound position?

IMHO obviously, it's not me doing the work!

Just now, Stuart said:

What has changed since the last time the ACV was approved? Hope you have already got the previous application details and are simply adding to it. No need to embellish what was already a sound position?

That was only for Ewood , don't think there as been one for Brockhall before

15 hours ago, Stuart said:

The Ewood ACV remains Stuart-This is an attempt to cover the training grounds at Brockhall. Before it`s too late...

The process is the same, and after the tremendous effort of Paul last time the principles have been established. we are dealing with a different local authority this time though, and we will likely get opposition from the Club still.

I am working on the ACV application this week and aiming to get a draft done for the end of the week. 

The response to requests for help and info from Rovers fans has been disappointing so far. 

This is a chance to contribute to something concrete in protecting the legacy and future of our club. Please respond or circulate the requests for supporting info as widely as possible and send info to me at michael.doherty@roverstrust.co.uk 

Thanks  

Just now, Michael Doherty said:

I am working on the ACV application this week and aiming to get a draft done for the end of the week. 

The response to requests for help and info from Rovers fans has been disappointing so far. 

This is a chance to contribute to something concrete in protecting the legacy and future of our club. Please respond or circulate the requests for supporting info as widely as possible and send info to me at michael.doherty@roverstrust.co.uk 

Thanks  

Appreciate the work people like yourselves put in. My understanding of these things are you need names and addresses to contribute. I'm not local but would me adding my name help?  

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:14, Claytons Left Boot said:

Being reported on roversfans.com that 'part of Brockhall is up for sale' and there is a sign up. Is the Rovers Trust action because of this Ozz, or can anyone substantiate this?

There's a sign on a fence I think and there was something in the press recently saying it was misleading as any plots for sale wouldn't have planning permission but the sign has houses on it or something.

God knows who's behind it they think it's soccer app but wouldn't be surprised if some connection pops up somewhere to some usual suspects.

1 hour ago, Tony Rover said:

Appreciate the work people like yourselves put in. My understanding of these things are you need names and addresses to contribute. I'm not local but would me adding my name help?  

Thanks Tony. We don't formally need names and addresses as the Rovers Trust is an incorporated body. We have some members who are local residents who are supporting the application. 

We are really looking for stories of visiting Brockhall, watching the youth team / reserves etc. 

54 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There's a sign on a fence I think and there was something in the press recently saying it was misleading as any plots for sale wouldn't have planning permission but the sign has houses on it or something.

God knows who's behind it they think it's soccer app but wouldn't be surprised if some connection pops up somewhere to some usual suspects.

The sign doesn't seem genuine. It has contact numbers on but no one picking up. 

Doesn't change the need for this ACV application. 

8 hours ago, Michael Doherty said:

Thanks Tony. We don't formally need names and addresses as the Rovers Trust is an incorporated body. We have some members who are local residents who are supporting the application. 

We are really looking for stories of visiting Brockhall, watching the youth team / reserves etc. 

No problem Michael. I hope you get what you need. If the training ground goes then that's a bit of Jack's legacy we will never get back. Respect what you're doing and wish you all the best. 

Thought there was a restrictive covenant on the land at Brockhall regarding its conversion in to housing / industrial use but not sure how binding that is.
Easy way to resolve the signage issue is if someone could post a photo of it. There should be a name and phone number on it, so these could be checked out easily enough.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Brockhall Village, Jack Walker's biggest gift to Blackburn Rovers - FOR SALE.

2017-05-12-PHOTO-00000075.jpg

I just called the phone number and spoke to a guy. Apparently, the number on the board is connected to the landowner. who is based at the Conference Centre Offices at Brockhall.

I presume this might be SoccerApp / MyDotCom or both. Not sure. They are not connected with the Rovers apparently, but own the strip of land between the road and the training ground.

The sale of the plots / land has been transferred to Richard Turner & Son, who seem to be auctioneers.

There was a porta cabin down there at one time; hence the phone number.

The lad I spoke to was quite helpful and a Rovers fan to boot. Let's hope my earlier comments regarding restrictive covenants burdening the training ground/academy are right!

6 minutes ago, BaldEagle said:

I just called the phone number and spoke to a guy. Apparently, the number on the board is connected to the landowner. who is based at the Conference Centre Offices at Brockhall.

I presume this might be SoccerApp / MyDotCom or both. Not sure. They are not connected with the Rovers apparently, but own the strip of land between the road and the training ground.

The sale of the plots / land has been transferred to Richard Turner & Son, who seem to be auctioneers.

There was a porta cabin down there at one time; hence the phone number.

The lad I spoke to was quite helpful and a Rovers fan to boot. Let's hope my earlier comments regarding restrictive covenants burdening the training ground/academy are right!

Strange that the sign is on Rovers land. That strip of land between the road and the training ground couldn't house anymore than 2 houses, surely?

Just now, J*B said:

Strange that the sign is on Rovers land. That strip of land between the road and the training ground couldn't house anymore than 2 houses, surely?

I'm not so sure, if you look on Google Maps if the land runs all the way from the car park of the bar/café place along the road to the main road I bet you could squeeze a decent number on there. Its about the same width all the way down as it is where the pub/café place is and that is a decent size building. 7 or 8 decent quality houses on there would fetch a small fortune.

Just now, JHRover said:

I'm not so sure, if you look on Google Maps if the land runs all the way from the car park of the bar/café place along the road to the main road I bet you could squeeze a decent number on there. Its about the same width all the way down as it is where the pub/café place is and that is a decent size building. 7 or 8 decent quality houses on there would fetch a small fortune.

Yeah maybe - thinking about it. Maybe I underestimated the length of that road. Still seems strange, theres definitely no room for road infrastructure. So they'd all be facing that road into Brockhall? With their back gardens facing the academy? I'm not even sure the point i'm trying to raise anymore. @#/? Venkys. 

• 1 month later...

Archived