BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Mowbray Signs New Deal

Rovers head coach Tony Mowbray has signed a new 2 year deal which will keep at the club until 2019.  The deal comes on the back of talks that Mowbray had with owners Venky's in Pune last months.

Talking to the official website Mowbray said 

“I think it's a fantastic football club, with a fantastic infrastructure. The job is to bounce back straight away and I needed some reassurances that we wouldn't be selling all of our players and that we had some budget to try and strengthen the team if we could, having lost 12 players through either loans going back or people out of contract.

“I'm looking forward to the opportunity of trying to build a team that the fans can be proud of and enjoy and hopefully we can win plenty of games. The only target is to try and bounce back at the first opportunity.”

Mowbray is also looking at getting out of League 1 at the first time of asking and then to try and push the club towards the Premier League 

“I think it's important to state from the outset that League One is a difficult league, League One is a hard, attritional, physical league, but our aim has to be to win promotion in season one.

“I know how difficult that's going to be, because there's some pretty big teams still in League One – the likes of Charlton, Portsmouth, Wigan, Bradford etc – so there's going to be plenty of competition and we need to make sure we’re at our best in every game, but the bigger goal isn't League One.

“The bigger goal is to push on past the Championship if we can. We have to first and foremost re-establish ourselves back in the Championship if we can get the job done next season and then to aim for the Premier League.

“It seems a long way away at the moment, but if we can achieve our first target, which is what we have to concentrate and focus on, and I a bit uncomfortable talking about future goals, because the only goal at the moment is to try and build a successful team in this league and then we'll deal with the one above, but ultimately the longer-term goals are to build a strong team for the Championship that can compete to get out of that division.”

View full article

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.