BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shane Duffy

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, from what I hear he got found out last night. He's ok defending when the team is under the cosh away from home, not so good when the the team is at home and the ball is in the other half for lots of time. He tends to lose concentration then.

He was far from the worst. The full backs Ward and Christie were very,very poor. Midfield non existent. Murphy shouldn't have started with Long on the bench. Bad bad night all round 

Ireland are a typical Martin O'Neill team; well drilled, fit, and gave it 100%.

They got extremely lucky to make it to the playoffs. If Bale wasn't injured it would have been Wales.

Ireland are very similar to Norway, in size and style. Both had good 1990's, yet haven't built on that success - Norway are much worse off at the moment though. Maybe the difference is that Ireland have wholly outsourced their football development to England, and to a lesser extent Scotland. Norway's top league has national team players in it, the League of Ireland doesn't. The early introduction of Irish players into the English/Scottish professional system has probably helped keep them afloat tournament wise.

I always want as many home nations (Ireland is included for me) in the World Cup. There was so much promise a month ago. Then in short time, Scotland lost, Wales too.

Northern Ireland were hard done by on the penalty, but Switzerland were probably the better team.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Roy Keane, Big Mick, Allardyce. The usual suspects. Chris Hughton would be the number 1 choice I would imagine, but I don't see why he would have any interest in it at this stage. They should have a look at Michael O'Neill, although our friends over the border probably wouldn't be too happy with that. Hard to know who would get it really.

Who would you want? 

Chris Hughton if he could be tempted.I hope Keane doesn't get it if O'Neill does leave 

14 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Ireland are a typical Martin O'Neill team; well drilled, fit, and gave it 100%.

They got extremely lucky to make it to the playoffs. If Bale wasn't injured it would have been Wales.

Ireland are very similar to Norway, in size and style. Both had good 1990's, yet haven't built on that success - Norway are much worse off at the moment though. Maybe the difference is that Ireland have wholly outsourced their football development to England, and to a lesser extent Scotland. Norway's top league has national team players in it, the League of Ireland doesn't. The early introduction of Irish players into the English/Scottish professional system has probably helped keep them afloat tournament wise.

I always want as many home nations (Ireland is included for me) in the World Cup. There was so much promise a month ago. Then in short time, Scotland lost, Wales too.

Northern Ireland were hard done by on the penalty, but Switzerland were probably the better team.

It's hard to know if outsourcing young player development to the UK does actually help us in the long run. So many young lads go over and don't make it ,some never recover to even play league of Ireland then. I read the other day that most of our good young players in the under age teams,were actually born in England to Irish parents. The under age set up for non elite player's over here was terrible,but it is getting better.

A country our size though,you only get the odd Roy Keane or Damien Duff. One or two players like that makes all the difference in international football. Look at Denmark,case in point. 

Anyway,raging we won't be there ,but you got to take the ups with the downs. 

I hope England do OK. A more likeable bunch than previous teams. A lot depends on what group you get. Some tricky possibilities 

Archived