BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 20/09/2017 at 20:28, Sparks Rover said:

Looks like we dodged one with that Connor Ripley....proper pudding that lad. Bigger arse than my missus.

Not even tall....wonder if being the son of a player helped with his progress.......

Your decree nisi come through yet?

I do prefer extra time but not too bothered about it. Hope it's kept for the FA Cup though as endurance is supposed to be a barometer. The League campaign of course is more relevant in that regard but could be worse I guess. At least it's not a coin toss.

Bit more irritated by the VAR (formerly known as "technology") rule. Now I know in the FA Cup many clubs can't afford to use it. While I'm against VAR in general (in ALL respects besides rescinding incorrect suspensions or cases of excessively violent conduct) it's a bit hard for the FA not to let many clubs use it when they also govern the Premier League. The Football League of course will have VAR (at Championship level anyway) and Rovers are installing it. It's strange though that if the capacity to use it is there in the League why can't it be used by Rovers in the Carabao Cup as well? I don't like VAR but I don't like inconsistent ruling either. Besides FUP where my only constant is hating the whole damn thing with a vengeance.

Speaking of penalty shootouts (bit off topic here but don't think I've mentioned my views on this) I remember when Trevor Francis whined about that Playoff semi final shootout between Preston North End and Birmingham. At the time I think one of the stands was being redeveloped and Francis was upset when the penalties were directed to take place in front of the home fans. Now what does that say about character and his faith in the players he had? I know that home/away percentages can't be ignored in general but for a shootout it's more of a rarity. I guess in domestic competitions more home teams have won shootouts on average (not sure how close it is or how it compares to the general 90 minute win/loss League stats) but it's no surprise that Birmingham lost after that. If I was managing a team away from home (or neutral venue) and it came to a shootout I would make the players take them in front of the opposing fans (excluding stands with both home/away sections and clubs where the away fans aren't situated behind goals) as a psychological test of character. It would also demonstrate confidence and don't say anything stupid like "lets give the other team a one goal "headstart"). I think it's quite relevant to bring this up as obviously shootouts will be more frequent in the competition now.

I can't remember any at Ewood taking place in front of the DE anyway. Maybe back in the 80''s, etc they might have but the ones I recall were all in front of the BE. 

EDIT-Actually just looked back at the Chelsea game in 2009 (was in front of BE) and noticed Kean on touchline. Couldn't see Allardyce anywhere and perhaps something jogged my memory (wasn't exactly surprised by Kean's presence as he was one of the coaching staff) so looked it up and he was ill. I assume McDonald was in charge that night but bet Kean mentioned it to Desai, etc claiming he was running the whole show. Not that it would have made any difference with him getting the job but anyhow...

There was one against Walsall in 2002 (nearly being knocked out at first hurdle on defence of the trophy) in front of the BE where I myself was situated that night. There was also the one against West Ham when Hendry was the one who failed. I point that out as it was so rare for him to be the one who let his teammates down and it was a bloody terrible penalty lol. I watched the shootout recently and Fettis was in goal. To be fair they were all very well placed penalties and Flowers probably wouldn't have saved any of them either.

Edited by Vinjay17

On 09/06/2018 at 19:54, Vinjay17 said:

Your decree nisi come through yet?

I do prefer extra time but not too bothered about it. Hope it's kept for the FA Cup though as endurance is supposed to be a barometer. The League campaign of course is more relevant in that regard but could be worse I guess. At least it's not a coin toss.

Bit more irritated by the VAR (formerly known as "technology") rule. Now I know in the FA Cup many clubs can't afford to use it. While I'm against VAR in general (in ALL respects besides rescinding incorrect suspensions or cases of excessively violent conduct) it's a bit hard for the FA not to let many clubs use it when they also govern the Premier League. The Football League of course will have VAR (at Championship level anyway) and Rovers are installing it. It's strange though that if the capacity to use it is there in the League why can't it be used by Rovers in the Carabao Cup as well? I don't like VAR but I don't like inconsistent ruling either. Besides FUP where my only constant is hating the whole damn thing with a vengeance.

Speaking of penalty shootouts (bit off topic here but don't think I've mentioned my views on this) I remember when Trevor Francis whined about that Playoff semi final shootout between Preston North End and Birmingham. At the time I think one of the stands was being redeveloped and Francis was upset when the penalties were directed to take place in front of the home fans. Now what does that say about character and his faith in the players he had? I know that home/away percentages can't be ignored in general but for a shootout it's more of a rarity. I guess in domestic competitions more home teams have won shootouts on average (not sure how close it is or how it compares to the general 90 minute win/loss League stats) but it's no surprise that Birmingham lost after that. If I was managing a team away from home (or neutral venue) and it came to a shootout I would make the players take them in front of the opposing fans (excluding stands with both home/away sections and clubs where the away fans aren't situated behind goals) as a psychological test of character. It would also demonstrate confidence and don't say anything stupid like "lets give the other team a one goal "headstart"). I think it's quite relevant to bring this up as obviously shootouts will be more frequent in the competition now.

I can't remember any at Ewood taking place in front of the DE anyway. Maybe back in the 80''s, etc they might have but the ones I recall were all in front of the BE. 

EDIT-Actually just looked back at the Chelsea game in 2009 (was in front of BE) and noticed Kean on touchline. Couldn't see Allardyce anywhere and perhaps something jogged my memory (wasn't exactly surprised by Kean's presence as he was one of the coaching staff) so looked it up and he was ill. I assume McDonald was in charge that night but bet Kean mentioned it to Desai, etc claiming he was running the whole show. Not that it would have made any difference with him getting the job but anyhow...

There was one against Walsall in 2002 (nearly being knocked out at first hurdle on defence of the trophy) in front of the BE where I myself was situated that night. There was also the one against West Ham when Hendry was the one who failed. I point that out as it was so rare for him to be the one who let his teammates down and it was a bloody terrible penalty lol. I watched the shootout recently and Fettis was in goal. To be fair they were all very well placed penalties and Flowers probably wouldn't have saved any of them either.

Couldn' be bothered reading that lot.War and peace...

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

A bit closer to home than last year though. I hope when the draw is being made they are in the energy drinks aisle and advertise Carabao's rivals ?.

Another fine example how to demean a competition.

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A bit closer to home than last year though. I hope when the draw is being made they are in the energy drinks aisle and advertise Carabao's rivals ?.

Another fine example how to demean a competition.

Your problem seems to be with the Sponsors or is it with the draw being in a Shop?

Carabao Tawangdang Co is very successful at what they do so why favour their rivals, which of course won't happen during the draw.

Seems a bit petty to me.

I'd rather have an energy drink as a sponsor than yet another Betting Co.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Your problem seems to be with the Sponsors or is it with the draw being in a Shop?

Carabao Tawangdang Co is very successful at what they do so why favour their rivals, which of course won't happen during the draw.

Seems a bit petty to me.

I have no problem with the sponsor although it's not something I would buy. My post was aimed at the EFL and the shabby way they seem to be treating Carabao. My comment about their rivals products was tongue in cheek.

32 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Really? I think you will find that the diabetes epidemic or the one we are about to witness, is directly related to our sugary diets.  

I'm against this sponsor for those reasons plus McDonalds & Play station with the junior football competitions....so many discrepencies in the name of money.

Just now, matt83 said:

Bizarre. Just bizarre. The LDV vans one will be taking place next to the bins presumably. Suppose it’s in the right country and not taking place at some ridiculous time in the morning. 

28 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have no problem with the sponsor although it's not something I would buy. My post was aimed at the EFL and the shabby way they seem to be treating Carabao. My comment about their rivals products was tongue in cheek.

I wonder if the tie-up is that Morrisons have a quite recent deal, signed last year, to supply their own brand products to the Big C chain of stores in Thailand. I believe it's one of Morrisons first international ventures.

I have never drunk a Carabao product either but like the Band (Carabao) and Beer House group (Tawangdang) that gave them their name.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Really? I think you will find that the diabetes epidemic or the one we are about to witness, is directly related to our sugary diets.  

I'm against this sponsor for those reasons plus McDonalds & Play station with the junior football competitions....so many discrepencies in the name of money.

Good point as I come from a family with diabetes in its history. One of the reasons I have not taken sugar in tea or coffee for 50 years. I'm careful too of the local diet which is sugar laced in lots of dishes.

Doesn't exonerate Betting thieves though.

Edited by AllRoverAsia