BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Whittingham Signs for Rovers

Rovers have confirmed that they have completed the signing of Peter Whittingham.  The versatile midfielder has signed a 2 year deal and joins on a free transfer from Cardiff City.

This manager Tony Mowbray's first piece of business of the summer transfer window and he has already stated that he hopes to bring in more players as Rovers prepare for life in League 1.

View full article

• Moderation Lead

Cheeky omission of his time at Turf Moor on the official site! Sure it wasn't deliberate though......

(In all seriousness though, this SHOULD be a good signing!)

Just now, Phil T said:

I'm not sure I'd heard of him before, if I'm being honest! I probably have, in passing... Pun.

Sounds like a decent signing, but I cringe slightly on how the Rovers official article butters us up on his achievements from 2, 4, 5, and 9 years ago. #CynicAlert

Anyway, welcome!

He still got 7 goals and 7 assists from 28 games last season (9 from the bench). Definite upgrade on what we have and HAVE had in midfield for quite some time.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Whittingham comments

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/june/im-excited-to-be-here---whittingham/

Rovers going to play passing football and try to win the league

And get some more STs shifted.

Nothing wrong with that, I just laughed when the ST push came straight after the article on the same web page. Speculate to accumulate.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

And get some more STs shifted.

Nothing wrong with that, I just laughed when the ST push came straight after the article on the same web page. Speculate to accumulate.

A past it footballer supposed to put bums on seats. Hahaha

Just now, JAL said:

Cheers ! Looks like a Joe average player nearing the end of his career.

How do you define 'Joe average player' ?

Average for League 1 level that we will be playing next season? 7 goals and 7 assists last season as a bit part player doesn't strike me as average and that is at a higher level than we will be playing next season.

I agree he is nearing the end of his career but feel he has plenty in the locker to give us 2 years of good performances, particularly at League 1 level.

Just now, robbojohnno said:

How do you define 'Joe average player' ?

Average for League 1 level that we will be playing next season? 7 goals and 7 assists last season as a bit part player doesn't strike me as average and that is at a higher level than we will be playing next season.

I agree he is nearing the end of his career but feel he has plenty in the locker to give us 2 years of good performances, particularly at League 1 level.

Those stats look a massive improvement on JLOWE your below average performer. Joe averages for me are the ones that make up the opposition for the winners.

As a Rovers fan though hope my initial thoughts are proved wrong. Good luck Whitty !

Edited by JAL

Just now, Dunnfc said:

He's got a couple of good years in him. We are League One and it is a very good addition for this level.  I'm pleased with this signing, there's a lot of common sense behind it.

Just now, Pedro said:

He's got a couple of good years in him. We are League One and it is a very good addition for this level.  I'm pleased with this signing, there's a lot of common sense behind it.

So get promoted and a step up to where he'd be a bit part player THIS season and another years mileage on the body that's a big risk, speaks volumes Warnock as experienced as he is lets him leave easily. 1+1 year contract would have been advisable with the second year optional at the clubs desire.

Seems another potentially big financial liability to carry

I know its hardly inspiring compared to the sort of signing we were making 8 years ago and before and I doubted this one would even come off. However, he is an UPGRADE - how many times are we able to say that these days? I know its hardly difficult to upgrade on the likes of Lowe, Akpan etc etc but its still an upgrade even if he is passed his 20 goal a season from midfield best. Scored 20 goals the last time Cardiff were promoted, that's insane.

Plus Championship Team of the Year 3 times, Championship Team of the Decade. Their fans would still have him in their starting 11, cannot believe the club are even letting him go, and believe he will easily be the best player in league 1 next season.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

A bit over the top all that.

Tell you what is over the top. That announcement video on Facebook with slow motion head turning segues. Jeez.

Cheesiness aside, this should be a good signing but then so should Murphy, Etuhu and Best. Seems the right kind of player for us though and a good age. Adds massive experience to the side. Let's hope there aren't any underlying fitness concerns and Cardiff have made a similar mistake to us letting Dave Jones go (albeit on a different scale).

Third bit of good tentatively positive news after Mowbray signed and brought in his own assistant.

Maybe this will help the Like of Lenihan, Mulgrew and even Evans knuckle down but they could still be sold for wages.

• Like 1

Just now, Dunnfc said:

We are signing a player better than the division we are in - and it's not a loan. Last time we did that was probably Graham.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.