BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Smallwood signs

Never heard of the guy, but 2 central midfielders in is a decent start. 

Don't quote me on this, but it's almost like we may have gone into a transfer window with a plan, a manager who knows the current squad, and a manager who has some experience of the transfer market.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

I've not even mentioned anything about Mowbray pal but for the record If we are not in the top two after ten games then he better be gone.

Last time we were in the Third Division we were at the bottom at Christmas - stuck with the manager and ended up being promoted that season.  Good job we didn't have you making decisions when Howard Kendall was here.

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Last time we were in the Third Division we were at the bottom at Christmas - stuck with the manager and ended up being promoted that season.  Good job we didn't have you making decisions when Howard Kendall was here.

We are going to be having a lot of new players. Patience could be needed.

• Like 1

Wake up man forty years since. we have first class facilities and a stadium fit for top flight football. The club and most fans deserve better than this not a harkback to the good old days running out a crumbling stadium and a kick about for training on pleasy. Game has moved on since then it's no longer 11 lads boozing smoking and working there way through the week for a match bonus it's a serious profession and sport supported by numerous staff at Ewood in many day to day cross functioning support roles with mortgages and co to pay.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Wake up man forty years since. we have first class facilities and a stadium fit for top flight football. The club and most fans deserve better than this not a harkback to the good old days running out a crumbling stadium and a kick about for training on pleasy. Game has moved on since then it's no longer 11 lads boozing smoking and working there way through the week for a match bonus it's a serious profession and sport supported by numerous staff at Ewood in many day to day cross functioning support roles with mortgages and co to pay.

Do the fans who don't bother turning up anymore deserve better than this, or the ones that still attend?

Gut feeling is that he will turn out to be a very shrewd signing. Knows this league well and has been a top performer in this division previously. We need someone who can get stuck in, we've been far too easy to play against for far too many years. It's about time we added some steel in the middle of the park. Have a feeling he'll be a fans favourite due to, what sounds like, him having "get stuck in" attitude. 

• Like 2

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

Do the fans who don't bother turning up anymore deserve better than this, or the ones that still attend?

I'm sure those that don't turn up are equally principled as those who still attend, personally I've seen allot of their efforts into many things whilst not attending supporting the club, maybe one day you'll thank them

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I'm sure those that don't turn up are equally principled as those who still attend, personally I've seen allot of their efforts into many things whilst not attending supporting the club, maybe one day you'll thank them

I though you might be one of those who feels those who still get season tickets deserve all they get. 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

You may not have noticed but first class facilities and a stadium fit for top flight football didn't prevent Wolves, Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield United, Southampton, Leeds and plenty more all falling into the Third Division.  If following a Third Division club is beneath you there is always Burnley if you want Premier League football.  We aren't the only club to fall on hard times.  That's football.  

What I don't agree with is the idea venkys should feel obliged to spend beyond our means to return us to the premier league. I'm actually a bit in agreement with the Burnley fans argument on that. Its humiliating that some of our fans feel we should have a right to a sugardaddy figure.

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

I though you might be one of those who feels those who still get season tickets deserve all they get. 

I'm non plussed pal each to their own. You've got some who go because of family some out of habit some who can't think of much better to do each to themselves

You may not have noticed but first class facilities and a stadium fit for top flight football didn't prevent Wolves, Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield United, Southampton, Leeds and plenty more all falling into the Third Division.  If following a Third Division club is beneath you there is always Burnley if you want Premier League football.  We aren't the only club to fall on hard times.  That's football.  

No but they've not had the spectacular fall in the way of rovers. I'm aware of wolves double bouncing recently but Steve Morgan whom is a fantastic bloke always supported that club with whatever, Jez Moxey is a respected footballing director whom at Wolves had a very good management set up

Before last week I doubt if any of us could give any kind of appraisal on Smallwood (or even heard of him) but now we have detailed analysis of him and a high number of fans have already written him off. Step forward the new Jason Lowe, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox et al.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Before last week I doubt if any of us could give any kind of appraisal on Smallwood (or even heard of him) but now we have detailed analysis of him and a high number of fans have already written him off. Step forward the new Jason Lowe, Keith Andrews, Jason Wilcox et al.

One things for sure he can only improve from in on here.

issue I had was contracts, 1year deals with an option of a further year based on performance. Go up this year and we will excuse my French but need to shed the @#/? to make way on the wage bill.its all fine and well looking at promotion this year but you can run a club or business especially how rovers are trying to do without looking at the life cycle cost of things and that goes on after promotion looking at the length of these deals.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

issue I had was contracts, 1year deals with an option of a further year based on performance. Go up this year and we will excuse my French but need to shed the @#/? to make way on the wage bill.its all fine and well looking at promotion this year but you can run a club or business especially how rovers are trying to do without looking at the life cycle cost of things and that goes on after promotion looking at the length of these deals.

But you can't just have a mass clear out after promotion because some players might be deemed not good enough. Of course a club will need to strengthen its squad but this is done gradually. For most promoted clubs from any league the objective must be consolidation before kicking on. A two year deal is about right and gives benefits to both parties.

• Like 2

Just now, Dunnfc said:

We've been guilty in the recent past of handing out bumper contracts to players not worthy of them, two year deals for Smallwood and Whittingham isn't excessive too me. If you want too bring half decent players in a 2 year deal is pretty standard. I doubt either of those two would have signed one year deals. You've also stated you expect better than those two signings and you won't get much better players if you're only offering one year contracts out. 

richardsmallwoodVerified account

@richsmallwood33

Proud Footballer of Blackburn Rovers Football Club - Hard Work, Dedication.

Taken from the lad's twitter account.  Sounds like the right kind of character.   Not over whelmed with the signing but seems the type to put a shift in and that'll do for me.

Welcome Richie:brfc:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

I've not even mentioned anything about Mowbray pal but for the record If we are not in the top two after ten games then he better be gone.

I don't think you can be so rigid.

10 games isn't enough to say top two, but equally we definitely need to be looking within 7or 8 points difference maximum of the top two at that point. That could well be outside the play-off places.