BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Smallwood signs

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Hmmm il trust the rufc fan board what had four pages of opinions. Might be okay at this level but normal people have ambition and this signing shows a severe lack of any. 

When we were relegated from the prem we had a squad full of premier league players trying to get us back up , look how that turned out!

Just now, bluefred said:

When we were relegated from the prem we had a squad full of premier league players trying to get us back up , look how that turned out!

That squad was more than capable of getting back up. Mgps goal celebration in that first game was symbolic of the turmoil throughout the club that prevented any chance of it happening.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I agree dunnfc that this is a bit of an underwhelming signing but you do come across as a bit of an ignorant David Platt at times

I know better sometimes and I'm assured in how a business or project should be operated so within myself I'm comfortable of that, I don't look at the short term but overall impact.

Edited by Dunnfc

1 hour ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

What I don't agree with is the idea venkys should feel obliged to spend beyond our means to return us to the premier league. I'm actually a bit in agreement with the Burnley fans argument on that. Its humiliating that some of our fans feel we should have a right to a sugardaddy figure.

Until Venkys turned up we were a well run premier league club. If they had anything about them then they should move heaven and earth to get us back for the monumental co*k up they've produced... or bugger off.

• Like 1

I despise Venky's but I can separate that from the club.

This seems like a decent signing for where we are at right now. I don't understand people who go around running down new players at the club before they have even kicked a ball. The way Keith Andrews was treated by some fans was horrible. The lad didn't decide himself that he was coming to BRFC, he was brought here by a manager and then he ended up playing a lot of games due to injuries and others underperforming but some fans didn't like him for some insane reason. This guy seems like something similar in that he is a player who will dig in and do what the manager tells him to do. He isn't great in an attacking sense but he is good defensively and might even have a bit of leadership about him which imo is badly needed at this club.

We don't want to make a whole host of signings. We need a good full squad capable of winning league one. If you bring in too many players then you are stuck with them in the Championship. we need to get back up there and then have room to maneuver in the transfer market after we get back up. We don't want to be stuck with a load of players we don't want as has happened in the recent past. 

Hope this guy turns out to be our League 1 version of The Axe - limited ability but effective when used in the right formation and tactics. Not convinced he will prove to be a first team starter, but could be good impact sub, especially when looking to close out a game (assuming we have the lead!).

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I know better sometimes and I'm assured in how a business or project should be operated so within myself I'm comfortable of that, I don't look at the short term but overall impact.

Yeah, whatever, look at me kinda stuff, but you call out others for a lack of ambition such as we should not be spending this on a 33 year old experienced and well reagrded pro as he wont cut it next year in Championship, its not financially viable blah blah blah. Then at same time you knock Smallwodd (which I actually have my reservations about) that he is not good enough for such a great club and we should be out there buying Messi instead.

Surely ambition is getting out of the league right? You cant have it both ways! get out of the league and take it from there. 

!Your logic says dont spend money BUT spend money!

Just now, JacknOry said:

Thye loaned him out - did not even make their squad for halof the season. Considering they finished so low that their goal difference was the coldest recorded temperature in the world in 2016.

Excellent signing. Looks like Mowbray's going for it...................not

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

It's been hot so my mind may be muddled but didn't Rotherham completely bomb last season with Smallwood?

Meh!

Yeah and we bombed out of the Premier league in 2012 so going by your logic DAnn, N'Zonzi and Yakubu were just meh?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yeah, whatever, look at me kinda stuff, but you call out others for a lack of ambition such as we should not be spending this on a 33 year old experienced and well reagrded pro as he wont cut it next year in Championship, its not financially viable blah blah blah. Then at same time you knock Smallwodd (which I actually have my reservations about) that he is not good enough for such a great club and we should be out there buying Messi instead.

Surely ambition is getting out of the league right? You cant have it both ways! get out of the league and take it from there. 

!Your logic says dont spend money BUT spend money!

So what your saying and what I actually agree with is striking a balance. 

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

You may not have noticed but first class facilities and a stadium fit for top flight football didn't prevent Wolves, Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield United, Southampton, Leeds and plenty more all falling into the Third Division.  If following a Third Division club is beneath you there is always Burnley if you want Premier League football.  We aren't the only club to fall on hard times.  That's football.  

We havnt fallen on hard times Parson, we have been chauffer driven by crooks and thieves

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tony Rover said:

Until Venkys turned up we were a well run premier league club. If they had anything about them then they should move heaven and earth to get us back for the monumental co*k up they've produced... or bugger off.

By that, do you means Venkys spending beyond the clubs means?

Just now, JacknOry said:

But we obviously cannot sign messi - so what is AMBITION in your yes? 

Taking the opportunity to workout side FFP rules as they don't apply to L1 and cherry picking what we can in L1 of talented young potential players ready to climb the leagues with us or punt for a bigger fee to supplement running costs of which neither of the signings to date provide any fruitful viable planning for the future.

• Like 1