BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Smallwood signs

1 hour ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

By that, do you means Venkys spending beyond the clubs means?

They've took us down this low that now they could theoretically put in whatever they want, seeing as we're not restricted by the same FFP rules as in the championship. So yes we should be spending well above our means and blow everyone else out of the water. Money might not buy you success in the leagues above but the lower down you go it makes one hell of a difference.

Just now, Tony Rover said:

They've took us down this low that now they could theoretically put in whatever they want, seeing as we're not restricted by the same FFP rules as in the championship. So yes we should be spending well above our means and blow everyone else out of the water. Money might not buy you success in the leagues above but the lower down you go it makes one hell of a difference.

Then Burnley fans are right about some rovers fans, they expect success bought for them without earning it.

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

Then Burnley fans are right about some rovers fans, they expect success bought for them without earning it.

Why are you so concerned with them lot?? I can look at where they are now and respect how they've done it, they're a well run club but that use to be us! I'm saying Venkys should be paying to put their mistakes right, fat chance I know. Because of how low they have taken us it's going to take big investment, otherwise we're just going to stagnate even further.    How do you see us climbing out of this league or are you one of these that thinks we're back at our level?

Just now, Tony Rover said:

Why are you so concerned with them lot?? I can look at where they are now and respect how they've done it, they're a well run club but that use to be us! I'm saying Venkys should be paying to put their mistakes right, fat chance I know. Because of how low they have taken us it's going to take big investment, otherwise we're just going to stagnate even further.    How do you see us climbing out of this league or are you one of these that thinks we're back at our level?

I think were exactly where we were in 1991 when jack took full control and gave the club an unnatural ascension. At the time we were battling relegation to the third division.

Would that be one of the 7k they used to have or one of the 10k they've recently acquired ?

• Like 1

We're drifting off topic here but would you say Burnley 'earned' or 'bought' promotion season before last? After all, their bank balance was swelled disproportionately thanks to Rupert Murdoch and Sky TV money which enabled them to spend way beyond their natural income levels and sign people like Andre Gray.

So did Burnley 'buy' promotion through inflated transfer fees/wages helped by Sky?

• Like 1

I'm also informed that rovers being well run was a falicy as the trust wrote off 100m of debt in the 2000s..

That was loans put in from when Jack was alive and it covered a whole host of stuff, possibly the academy & training ground.

I think were exactly where we were in 1991 when jack took full control and gave the club an unnatural ascension. At the time we were battling relegation to the third division.

Nope, try again.

No we weren't. We were challenging for the play offs in the 2nd tier most seasons. 1990, 1989, 1988, 1985, 1984 and 1981 saw top 6 finishes. 1987, 1983 and 1982 were top half finishes. Only two bottom half finishes between promotion in 1980 and Kenny Dalglish's appointment in 1991.

The 'unnatural ascension' you refer to was happening before Jack Walker, despite poor infrastructure and a lack of finance. Media fuelled lies about a 'struggling' 2nd tier club not 100% accurate.

Based on the league finishes over that decade we'd probably be something similar to Derby today. Regularly top half or pushing for the top 6 but not quite getting over the line to promotion.

I'm sure you know where Burnley were finishing in that decade though.

• Like 6

Just now, tomphil said:

That was loans put in from when Jack was alive and it covered a whole host of stuff, possibly the academy & training ground.

25 million at least was the ground - no similar to the Venkys share capital not debt. Used for facilities and land acquisition 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

No we weren't. We were challenging for the play offs in the 2nd tier most seasons. 1990, 1989, 1988, 1985, 1984 and 1981 saw top 6 finishes. 1987, 1983 and 1982 were top half finishes. Only two bottom half finishes between promotion in 1980 and Kenny Dalglish's appointment in 1991.

The 'unnatural ascension' you refer to was happening before Jack Walker, despite poor infrastructure and a lack of finance. Media fuelled lies about a 'struggling' 2nd tier club not 100% accurate.

Based on the league finishes over that decade we'd probably be something similar to Derby today. Regularly top half or pushing for the top 6 but not quite getting over the line to promotion.

I'm sure you know where Burnley were finishing in that decade though.

At the PRECISE time, we were battling relegation. I won't forget as it was the start of my time as a rovers fan!

Wow, unnatural ascension! There was nothing unnatural about a man wanting his club to succeed and being in a position to help us do it. I would suggest you go back a bit further than 1991 and find out a bit about one of the founding members of the football league. 

Crack me up these Dingles with all this sugar daddy stuff ignoring their own albeit less spectacular investors that have been funding them since Ternant was there. When Jack first took over he injected a million or so to get Mimms, Dobson & Livingstone straight in to help the fight against relegation. These @#/?s won't even do that despite selling enough to cover a years running costs.

When Kilby & Ingleby stepped in at Bonleh they gave Ternant 750k to sign one player in Steve Davis which was more than the 75k or so Stan had spent previously in his whole time there.

Is that not a bit of sugar daddy stuff right there ?

At the PRECISE time, we were battling relegation. I won't forget as it was the start of my time as a rovers fan!

So how do you account for 3 consecutive 5th place finishes in the seasons directly prior to that? One season of struggle among a decade of challenging for promotion to the first division before Jack Walker and his money was flowing in. Some might say Walker was the final catapult we needed to get over a finish line we'd been close to for some time. Others prefer to subscribe to the 'club going nowhere' theory that league finishes in the 80s prove wasnt the case. Those people are usually those uncomfortable with what Jack Walker did.

Just now, tomphil said:

Crack me up these Dingles with all this sugar daddy stuff ignoring their own albeit less spectacular investors that have been funding them since Ternant was there. When Jack first took over he injected a million or so to get Mimms, Dobson & Livingstone straight in to help the fight against relegation. These @#/?s won't even do that despite selling enough to cover a years running costs.

When Kilby & Ingleby stepped in at Bonleh they gave Ternant 750k to sign one player in Steve Davis which was more than the 75k or so Stan had spent previously in his whole time there.

Let's not forget back in the third and struggling jack also paid the wages of Burnley for a month or two, funny how many they forget and sing about him isn't it.

Just now, tomphil said:

I AM a rovers fan! :lol: I've just listened to 'the other side'..