BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Smallwood signs

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Bennett and Evans are surely the answer.

Evans can provide the calm head and passing ability, Bennett with the energy, plus he has an ability to ping a ball.

We have all been saying this for quite a while now, well, last season it was mainly as a replacement for Evans rather than Smallwood. TM for whatever reason doesnt really like EB in the middle unless he has no other choice which to me is a little odd. Seems to prefer him as a bit of balance to the three behind.

Rothwell is the one that I think might cause him a few headaches now after last nights performance. He was fantastic in the middle in the second half and I think in home games at the very least, he should have that spot alongside Evans.

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

He's off the pace at the moment and probably needs withdrawing although someone made the point he's better suited to away games and us lying a bit deeper and counter attacking. I agree with this and have long felt it's an issue starting the same way at home with two deep lying defensive mids anyway, it's gone on way back through Bowyers time and to me it's often the root cause of so many poor first half displays from then to now even last season when we could've steamrolled a few sides but sat off and let them run games in the first half.

We've blamed Lowe/Evans now Richie quite rightly at times but that doesn't get away from the fact they are defensive mids who sit there waiting for teams to come at us to break play up. When you have two in every time you end up conceding space in the centre of the park that on your home patch you should be dominating. Why we have to approach nearly every game like that now there are a couple of other options is open to debate.

Yes, I commented on this in another thread that perhaps Evans and Smallwood are too similar to be playing together. I think the reason we look so good with Bennett in the central 2 is that he offers something different to Evans and Smallwood in that he drives forward a lot more, which makes the midfield a whole lot more balanced. I said in the other thread that whichever of the 2 stayed on in the 2nd half would have looked better and had a better game as they had Bennett in support of them. (That said Evans was excellent second half.) 

I'd imagine this'd be the same in most teams, even with much higher quality players. I wonder if part of the reason any combination of Tugay/Reid and Savage looked good was because they had very different abilities which complimented each other. How Tugs would have done without Savage getting the ball, or vice versa Savage without Tugay to do something with it - doubt either would have been quite as effective. And yes, I appreciate it's not a total like for likeness - Savage and Tugay were in a different class, but I think the principle is sound: chose a team that compliments each other. 

I imagine that's what TM was hoping for with Whittingham and Smallwood last year actually, which didn't really work out. At a lower level, the dangers of having 2 similar players in the 2 was probably less apparent in a more forgiving league, too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Yes, I commented on this in another thread that perhaps Evans and Smallwood are too similar to be playing together. I think the reason we look so good with Bennett in the central 2 is that he offers something different to Evans and Smallwood in that he drives forward a lot more, which makes the midfield a whole lot more balanced. I said in the other thread that whichever of the 2 stayed on in the 2nd half would have looked better and had a better game as they had Bennett in support of them. (That said Evans was excellent second half.) 

I'd imagine this'd be the same in most teams, even with much higher quality players. I wonder if part of the reason any combination of Tugay/Reid and Savage looked good was because they had very different abilities which complimented each other. How Tugs would have done without Savage getting the ball, or vice versa Savage without Tugay to do something with it - doubt either would have been quite as effective. And yes, I appreciate it's not a total like for likeness - Savage and Tugay were in a different class, but I think the principle is sound: chose a team that compliments each other. 

I imagine that's what TM was hoping for with Whittingham and Smallwood last year actually, which didn't really work out. At a lower level, the dangers of having 2 similar players in the 2 was probably less apparent in a more forgiving league, too. 

What a great post and in my opinion absolutely spot on. Now that we have a plethora of midfielders one would think Tony could now find the perfect combination.  

Edited by old darwen blue

10 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Good post.

Yes I think TM wanted Evans/Smallwood to fight for the same place with Whittingham being the quarterback in midfield with what was supposed to be excellent passing ability. As it panned out he got an early injury and even when he played it was quite clear his legs were gone and it wasnt going to work.

This meant he had to play two similar players which just seemed odd. Why did we need to defensive style players in midfield when chasing promotion and most clubs coming and parking the bus on us. I feel this is why we never really steamrolled teams in the same way that Wigan did on occasion. We didnt really have anyone else that could slot in there and ping the balls around so had no choice.

He has tried to address that this season too having been linked to McGinn, that American lad and now that lad from Southampton whilst also bringing in Davenport. Two defensive mids will actually probably suit us a bit more in this division on occasion as teams will come at us more rather than park up but we still need a player in there that can play a bit.  I think he lucked on Rothwell a bit because i feel he was bought to play further up but showed on Wednesday night that he can play very effectively in the middle as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Swanson said:

After that second half against Bristol, will he start the next matcht ? With both Reed and now Davenport ready.

You would suspect not. I like Smallwood but I don't think he's good enough for this level. Thank him for his fantastic services and let him get onto a club where he can be a central figure again next summer.

He did his job and did it well.

• Like 6

Bennett and Rothwell seem to be the 2 most likely that people think should be chosen to replace Smallwood centrally alongside Evans but I think Harrison Reed should start v Aston Villa.

Played plenty of games there which is his natural position last season for Norwich, and both tidy in possession and full of energy and tenacity from what ive seen and heard.

18 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Smallwood has looked rotten bar a purple patch at the start of last season. Nowhere near this level 

You think that for the middle and end of last season he looked "rotten?".

Give over. He looked average and wasn't as good as he initially seemed. He's also probably not up to this level. But he did a solid job at league one level last year. "Rotten"  is way OTT.

• Like 2

Why did we sign all these mid-fielders if we don't play them? I assume we signed them because they are better than we had.

This hardly surprising because we were a Div 1 team!

The problem is that TM is loyal to those who brought us back up. Good in theory but won't achieve the results.

Team must be chosen purely on merit.

43 minutes ago, 47er said:

Why did we sign all these mid-fielders if we don't play them? I assume we signed them because they are better than we had.

The problem is that TM is loyal to those who brought us back up. Good in theory but won't achieve the results.

I think he will drop Smallwood when it’s clearly justifiable to the other players that someone else is better. Which means Richie has to fail on the field a few times in succession and one of the new lads has to be burning it up in training and subs appearances. I think we are nearly there on both aspects. Merit has to be seen to be earned and lost with Mowbray IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think he will drop Smallwood when it’s clearly justifiable to the other players that someone else is better. Which means Richie has to fail on the field a few times in succession and one of the new lads has to be burning it up in training and subs appearances. I think we are nearly there on both aspects. Merit has to be seen to be earned and lost with Mowbray IMO.

Pleased you agree with me!  :tu:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hasta said:

You think that for the middle and end of last season he looked "rotten?".

Give over. He looked average and wasn't as good as he initially seemed. He's also probably not up to this level. But he did a solid job at league one level last year. "Rotten"  is way OTT.

Yup pretty much, lad can’t pass, can’t keep up with pace of play, rarely gets a good shot away, he can throw himself about in tackles but much more needed to be a good standard footballer. He shouldn’t be playing for our club currently if we harbour ambitions on top half champ

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Which is why he has given the team that got us up a chance at this level. 

As mentioned above though, I think we are approaching the point where progression means that Smallwood will lose his starting place 

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Only problem with that is it results in dropped points.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rotten. That's a very nasty description of an honest lad who tried his best and did really well for us in League 1 

Unfortunately there is no room for sentiment in football, he does try his best but his standards are below par. Can’t remember any games he was outstanding, supporters got far too carried away with him simply because he wasn’t Jason Lowe. Rothwell already looks 10 times the player

17 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Unfortunately there is no room for sentiment in football, he does try his best but his standards are below par. Can’t remember any games he was outstanding, supporters got far too carried away with him simply because he wasn’t Jason Lowe. Rothwell already looks 10 times the player

No but we shouldn't disparage him because he can't step up from Div 1 to the Championship. He always does his best but sadly that isn't enough now.

I've criticised TM for not playing Rothwell and I think he's taken loyalty too far but I have no criticism of Smallwood. From 'King of Ewood " to not good enough must be a bitter pill for him to swallow.

TM has to take the tough decision now, indeed its overdue.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I think most agree that he is struggling with the step up. It's the description of his play last year as "rotten" I find over the top

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

A great man management style, make it clear to everyone, as long as we don't lose too many games in the meantime.  Sometimes you just have to be a bit ruthless.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16694134.smallwood-on-rovers-boss-central-midfield-expectations/?ref=mac

Find this to be a very strange interview, and not one that suggests that Smallwood will be dropped any time soon.

“I think me and Corry are playing quite well together at the minute and long may it continue.”

Maybe he has different standards to us. Corry Evans as an individual has been as good as anyone this season, whereas Smallwood has been far, far below the standards his midfield partner has set, both on and off the ball.

“He likes you to be in certain positions when we’re attacking to recycle the attacks and break up the play in case they try and break out."

He also said this is what Mowbray wants, which is possibly why I don't see Rothwell playing that role any time soon. (That said, having 2 players of this ilk surely give you the freedom to not always have to use a "defensive winger"

That said, Reed and Davenport had very productive spells at this level in this role last season, and this is where Rodwell made his name, albeit many, many, years ago, therefore there is no reason why Smallwood should start v Aston Villa. He will get his chance again but with the added quality we have in this position, its time for Smallwood to be removed for the time being.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16694134.smallwood-on-rovers-boss-central-midfield-expectations/?ref=mac

Find this to be a very strange interview, and not one that suggests that Smallwood will be dropped any time soon.

“I think me and Corry are playing quite well together at the minute and long may it continue.”

Maybe he has different standards to us. Corry Evans as an individual has been as good as anyone this season, whereas Smallwood has been far, far below the standards his midfield partner has set, both on and off the ball.

“He likes you to be in certain positions when we’re attacking to recycle the attacks and break up the play in case they try and break out."

He also said this is what Mowbray wants, which is possibly why I don't see Rothwell playing that role any time soon. (That said, having 2 players of this ilk surely give you the freedom to not always have to use a "defensive winger"

That said, Reed and Davenport had very productive spells at this level in this role last season, and this is where Rodwell made his name, albeit many, many, years ago, therefore there is no reason why Smallwood should start v Aston Villa. He will get his chance again but with the added quality we have in this position, its time for Smallwood to be removed for the time being.

Against Bristol especially in the first half, Evans seemed to be helping Bell when Bell was outnumbered, whereas Smallwood gave no help to Nyambe