BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Smallwood signs

The both of them are under contract, we should stand our ground. If we are serious about promotion, this is what we need to do. 

What would we get for Mulgrew? 750,000? He is worth more to us staying here and helping us get back up. 

Lenihan will arguable be worth more next summer after a successful season in League 1 

Stand tough. They are under contract and if they don't like it all they can do is sulk about it. Players do that, but then usually get over it and get down to playing. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The both of them are under contract, we should stand our ground. If we are serious about promotion, this is what we need to do. 

What would we get for Mulgrew? 750,000? He is worth more to us staying here and helping us get back up. 

Lenihan will arguable be worth more next summer after a successful season in League 1 

Stand tough. They are under contract and if they don't like it all they can do is sulk about it. Players do that, but then usually get over it and get down to playing. 

Fully agree.

As it stands, we don't need any more centre backs unless one of those two leaves. Defensively right back would/should be the priority.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

Yeah, keeping hold of wantaway Ben Marshall really worked in our favour, was great to see him knuckle down and apply himself pre-Christmas........... oh, wait on

Quite right. Duffy another example.

Mulgrew wants away. He's out for sure IF an acceptable (no idea!) offer arrives.

I do believe that unlike Marshall and Duffy that CM would still try his best if the Vs play hardball to up a fee.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

Yeah, keeping hold of wantaway Ben Marshall really worked in our favour, was great to see him knuckle down and apply himself pre-Christmas........... oh, wait on

F*** him. He had to sit it out and we still got a good price for him. If they don't like it, stick them in the under 23s. We aren't going to be receiving huge bids for any of our players after the seasons they had last year. Make them stay. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Not really fair to compare Mulgrew to Marshall/Duffy at this stage.

In the cases of Marshall and Duffy the club was actively trying to sell them to cash in on them. Lies about Marshall being offered a new contract or if he was it was deliberately too low so that he was never going to accept it. Propaganda to make people think it was all Marshall's fault for wanting away and the club had no option but to sell him, when really it was as much the club playing games and trying to encourage people to come and bid for him, not to mention showing zero ambition, that pushed him away.

It remains to be seen what the case will be with Mulgrew. We certainly wont be able to command a fee on Duffy/Marshall levels. Will they start playing games through the Telegraph to try and get clubs to bid for the players or will they actually try and keep hold of them?

I know which I expect to happen.

Just now, JHRover said:

In the cases of Marshall and Duffy the club was actively trying to sell them to cash in on them. Lies about Marshall being offered a new contract or if he was it was deliberately too low so that he was never going to accept it. Propaganda to make people think it was all Marshall's fault for wanting away and the club had no option but to sell him, when really it was as much the club playing games and trying to encourage people to come and bid for him, not to mention showing zero ambition, that pushed him away.

It remains to be seen what the case will be with Mulgrew. We certainly wont be able to command a fee on Duffy/Marshall levels. Will they start playing games through the Telegraph to try and get clubs to bid for the players or will they actually try and keep hold of them?

Mowbray has already said we want to keep them. So the only way they will leave is if they sulk and strop or if we get an offer we can't refuse. I can't see us being offered F off money for any of our players, so just tell them they ain't going and to get on with it. It is the least they deserve after the s*** sandwich they served up last season. 

Just to note ,I would accept nothing less than the following 

Mulgrew 1.5 million 

Lenihan 4 million 

Anything less than that and they ain't leaving 

Just now, JHRover said:

Marshall and Duffy were offered 25% increase in their wages when offered new contracts last summer so I was told by Alan Nixon. 

Maybe Mulgrew will go but it needs a offer from a club yet. Rumours are Boro and Hull want him. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Shane Duffy ?

Mowbray has already said we want to keep them. So the only way they will leave is if they sulk and strop or if we get an offer we can't refuse. I can't see us being offered F off money for any of our players, so just tell them they ain't going and to get on with it. It is the least they deserve after the s*** sandwich they served up last season. 

Just to note ,I would accept nothing less than the following 

Mulgrew 1.5 million 

Lenihan 4 million 

Anything less than that and they ain't leaving 

Its really irrelevant to our season next year whether we get those figures for them or not. If they go, the money will not be reinvested, and we will be losing a lot of quality and experience, and will have to replace it on a shoestring budget.

Beyond that it is adding to an already massive turnover in personnel. I don't care how good the players are coming in, they will need time to settle and get used to playing together. At the moment we still have a core from last season to build around, but start breaking that core up and what do we build a squad around?

If I remember correctly Coyle spent 6 months saying he didn't want to lose Hanley/Duffy/Marshall but that old chestnut of 'we can't do anything if they want to go'. In the end they all went at damaging times and none were replaced adequately or any of the money reinvested into the club. So I'll take Mowbray's words with a pinch of salt. Not wanting to sell is different to Venkys turning bids down and not selling.

Just now, JHRover said:

Its really irrelevant to our season next year whether we get those figures for them or not. If they go, the money will not be reinvested, and we will be losing a lot of quality and experience, and will have to replace it on a shoestring budget.

Beyond that it is adding to an already massive turnover in personnel. I don't care how good the players are coming in, they will need time to settle and get used to playing together. At the moment we still have a core from last season to build around, but start breaking that core up and what do we build a squad around?

If I remember correctly Coyle spent 6 months saying he didn't want to lose Hanley/Duffy/Marshall but that old chestnut of 'we can't do anything if they want to go'. In the end they all went at damaging times and none were replaced adequately or any of the money reinvested into the club. So I'll take Mowbray's words with a pinch of salt. Not wanting to sell is different to Venkys turning bids down and not selling.

The money would need to be given to Mowbray to reinvest, otherwise definitely no sale. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Marshall and Duffy were offered 25% increase in their wages when offered new contracts last summer so I was told by Alan Nixon. 

Maybe Mulgrew will go but it needs a offer from a club yet. Rumours are Boro and Hull want him. 

So Venkys suddenly decided to sanction substantial wage increases after 2 years of relentless cost cutting and selling of our better players? Why would they do that?

Why if they were prepared to offer so much more to those two players were they not prepared to offer better terms to others such as Mahoney who is on far less money?

Doesn't make sense, and I therefore don't believe it.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

So Venkys suddenly decided to sanction substantial wage increases after 2 years of relentless cost cutting and selling of our better players? Why would they do that?

Why if they were prepared to offer so much more to those two players were they not prepared to offer better terms to others such as Mahoney who is on far less money?

Do people forget that we were under FFP restrictions? 

Trouble is the way Rovers is run and the puppets in office on the ground with no real authority it's open to that kind of abuse by players & agents. Who do they go and see if there is a problem ?   Who calls them into their office and says if you don't adhere to your contract you'll be in breach of it or we'll plonk you in the reserves for the remainder of it but you won't be let go ?

What did an ex player say after leaving Ewood, you had to go through about ten different people with silly titles to get through to the top brass. Another one, I think it was Kilgallon remarking on the difference at his new club said he was at Ewood 3 years and never saw a director at the training ground and didn't know who they were ?

Farce of a set up.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Ive only posted what I was told..

Dont know why we keep mention Hanley, Duffy and Marshall. They left and now we move on and build a new squad to achieve promotion this season

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Ive only posted what I was told..

Dont know why we keep mention Hanley, Duffy and Marshall. They left and now we move on and build a new squad to achieve promotion this season

They are getting mentioned because 12 months ago they were our 'star' players who we should have been holding on to or fighting our hardest to hold on to, and in the event they did leave were a source of substantial cash that could be reinvested into the squad.

As the summer went by we witnessed an absolutely disgraceful transfer window which ended with Hanley and Duffy sold, the money trousered, Coyle bringing in Wes Brown and Gordon Greer and Marshall still at the club disillusioned and his mind elsewhere without a new contract.

In my opinion, other than the role of Coyle himself, the sales of those players and the manner of their replacements last summer was the 2nd biggest factor in our eventual relegation. To be fair to Coyle any manager in the world would struggle to replace those players with no money and very little time after they were sold.

It is being mentioned because Coyle spent the whole of last summer claiming that they didn't want to sell etc etc. But in the end they were sold and the club was relegated.

Mowbray is now saying Mulgrew and co. aren't for sale, yet its only June, and as last summer showed, with Venkys at the helm there can be allsorts happen before September. Lets not crack open the champagne just because Mowbray says they don't want to sell anyone.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

Oh yes, that old excuse. Perfect for Mike Cheston.

Amazing how it doesn't seem to stop everyone else in the Championship, only Rovers.

Wolves spent 15 million on one player in January and I'm supposed to believe FFP rules are forcing us to sell everyone and spend nothing?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Still no excuse whatsoever to give Wes Brown 8k a week knowing full well he'd contribute nothing having only previously managed 50 games or so in five years. Next Gordon Greer on probably the same or more, yes a steady performer in previous years but at nearly 36/37 and having been frozen out by Brighton what was he going to offer over a season ?

Two 24 year old internationals replaced by those 2, what a complete joke. Yes he got Hoban in and we already had Lenihen who still had it to prove but i'd lay any odds that cretin wanted a first partnership of Brown and Greer,

Even more bizarre was him blooding Wharton then shoving him out on loan when he could have saved a wage wasted on one of those previous 3. That goes right against FFP it was nothing to do with that just braindead and rather suspicious stuff from Coyle who obviously having to sort the front line out over stretched himself and his budget in that area.

FFP ?   Anthony Stokes 3 years at 18k per week ?  Pull the other one.....

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

400 k was still not a good deal given we had to watch nyambe at full back for six months

• Backroom
1 minute ago, JHRover said:

'Doesn't makes sense' is Venky's MO, so it's why I DO believe it :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why do we need 2 center halves? We have Mulgrew, Lenihan, Ward, Wharton and Williams can also play there 

Yes I expect some of them to go and according to oracle Chaddy we will be playing 3 at the back, plus Mulgrew and Lenihan can play midfield so expect them to step in there when needed. We have a tiny squad afterall.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yes I expect some of them to go and according to oracle Chaddy we will be playing 3 at the back, plus Mulgrew and Lenihan can play midfield so expect them to step in there when needed. We have a tiny squad afterall.

Chaddy seems to think it is 4-2-3-1 that TM will be lining up as. Despite his use of 3 at the back throughout his managerial career of course.

I think Nixon may have said something once.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Chaddy seems to think it is 4-2-3-1 that TM will be lining up as. Despite his use of 3 at the back throughout his managerial career of course.

I think Nixon may have said something once.

Ah okay...I stand corrected on that then. Cant keep up sometimes...seen a bunch of formations quoted.

Still, should we lose 2 we will need 2.

Just now, JacknOry said:

We don't need 2 centre halves at the moment though